Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yet another classic game ported to modern systems by the original creator. Frak!, 1984 platform puzzle game for BBC Micro, recreated and expanded using GameMaker.

ss_b8399958dee11e1c0808586670977534ec57e623.600x338.jpg
ss_7e56e0c70139d1579a1081330075583f5d0979ef.600x338.jpg

Frak! is a classic retro platform game from 1985, now completely rebooted for the 21st century!

Armed only with his trusty yoyo, our caveman hero Trogg has to collect all the keys to complete each level: but watch out for the Scrubblies, Poglets, and Hooters!

Though the original game had only three levels, this new version has fifty five, featuring tons of extra features:
-- moving meanies
-- vertical scrolling levels
-- moving platforms
-- movable platforms
-- bouncy platforms!

There are five difficulty settings, and each level has its own gem collection medal and speed completion medal.

A genuinely classic game!

Not exactly a good example of a "genuinely classic game". People will know what I mean the minute they try jumping anywhere in this game.

Also, this game received a 'pirated' version very quickly after its original release where the name was changed to everyone's favorite four-lettered cussword.

And I'm guessing all those extra levels were lifted from fan-made contributions through the years.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Speaking of Alien Isolation though, NoClip did a nice little piece on that recently. Worth a watch if you're in the mood for hearing more about it. Apparently Creative Assembly's well aware that people love the game and would like another one.

If Creative Assembly would have liked 'another one', they would have pushed for it immediately while Alien: Isolation was fresh.

Now six years have passed as the interest is barely luke-warm.

I strongly doubt SEGA is interested at this point, and Fox Disney are not interested at all.

Why haven't you guys bought the Inquisition + Andromeda bundle yet?
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15821/Inquisition__Andromeda_Bundle/
They're cheap, and that's appealing, but aren't they not worth the time investment?
i recently reinstalled inquisition because "if i'm a man of science i must repeat the experiment, maybe back then i was biased by all the negativity around it" and i have to tell you the game is actually much worse than i remembered, every special difficulty setting active and all you have to do is walk forward and keep lmb pressed, "press a button and something extremely dull keeps happening".
of those two games, inquisition is the best one.

Latelistener

Arcane
I played Dead Space recently for the first time and not so long after that Alien: Isolation and what I have to say is that Isolation's 8 out of 10 is where you put another 1 or 2 just because it's Alien.

It's definitely one of the best games in the franchise, but it feels undercooked and amateurish. Just for starters, there is a place with 2 NPC's where you suppose to walk behind them, but if you actually try to confront them you'll notice that the AI is completely disabled. Motion scanner won't even acknowledge them.
XHef.jpg
These kinds of things ruin the game and they're everywhere. You try to do what the game doesn't want you to do and it just breaks.

Beowulf

Arcane
I played Dead Space recently for the first time and not so long after that Alien: Isolation and what I have to say is that Isolation's 8 out of 10 is where you put another 1 or 2 just because it's Alien.

It's definitely one of the best games in the franchise, but it feels undercooked and amateurish. Just for starters, there is a place with 2 NPC's where you suppose to walk behind them, but if you actually try to confront them you'll notice that the AI is completely disabled. Motion scanner won't even acknowledge them.

These kinds of things ruin the game and they're everywhere. You try to do what the game doesn't want you to do and it just breaks.

You also can't pick up weapons they drop until game says it's time to grab some weapons and shoot.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
What's a good game to impressive me with graphics? DOOM, RED DEAD, METRO?
Red Dead if you can run it. That's currently the graphics whore's game of choice. Depending on your PC, you can also run Witcher 3 and GTAV

Yeah I'm looking at trying Red Dead but I fell off after 5 hours. Maybe the good graphics on PC will help me power through. Would like to play W3 but already played it

Is this any good? The Codex thread isn't active and only had a single page...

I played it a bit. Can't remember if I posted about it here or not, but s'ok. It is fairly difficult (Though you can get permanent unlocks/upgrades which make your life easier, which is kind of a shame for a longer form boardgamey dice chucky game to be balanced that way but eh) and attrition based though. You can also be mildly fucked by random world generation, sometimes it'll put your objectives in especially pain in the ass locations which is difficult because there's a ticking clock (I forget the term used in the game. Darkness, chaos, evil, whatever. As you take turns the clock advances and hits break points to dump more enemies and bullshit into the world) so you're incentivized to rush. Which can be difficult in itself if you don't know where you're supposed to go for your next objective or the route to it or anything like that.

Not really the worst thing for $8 but it's hard to recommend either as a boardgamey thing, an RPG thing, or even a mix. Actually I guess I'd recommend Overfall, which is a pretty similar game (Semi-roguelite world crawling adventuring meta-progression gaining thing), a good chunk cheaper, and I liked it a bit more than For the King. It doesn't have co-op though so if you were looking at For the King for multiplayer I can't really speak to it. Overfall's still kind of a mess but I felt that the design was a bit cleaner and more interesting. If you've played Overfall already then I guess base your knowledge of that to gauge your interest in For the King.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is [For the King] any good? The Codex thread isn't active and only had a single page...
I tried it with a buddy of mine, looking for a hot new co-op. It didn't grab me. I found the art unappealing. The music is incredibly generic. The mechanics are elaborate and fidgety (which may be better for a single-player experience). And of course it's all procedural and roguelike which immediately made me feel it was all meaningless. I like roguelikes sometimes but this one just didn't hit my G-spot.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like roguelikes sometimes but this one just didn't hit my G-spot.
What hits your G spot?
In Roguelike/Roguelites? Off the top of my head, Risk of Rain, FTL, Sea Salt, Streets of Rogue, Slay the Spire, and Binding of Isaac are all very good.
For general perusal of my hot sexy tastes in games, see my sig link for Steam reviews.
Specific questions about a game or genre, tag me in the appropriate thread. If there is no thread, post to my profile page.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Steam picks from your favorite gremlin are coming up before the sale ends coming right up.

^Exploration done right for once. Outer WILDS, not WORLDS, this is the better science fiction/space game. They should sue Microsoft for trademark infringement since they had it first.

^Boo!

^???

^Post-apocalyptic dungeon crawler, it's like Eye of the Beholder.

^Just started playing this, isometric RPG goodness.

adYjlIL.jpg

Look at how dope it looks! It also wasn't made in unity so it runs silky smooth and the load times are quick.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Donut Touch It has great atmosphere, and the level up sound is the best in any game, but man the repetitiveness isn't something to joke about. Or the running back and forth from dungeons to the town to sell all your stuff. While I don't dislike the game, I have a hard time recommending it to anyone.

Retardo

Learned
Bought Stasis after having a blast with Beautiful Desolation, and its genuinely creepy.

Also, this. Compared to the first one, they've streamlined it a bit in regards to micromanagement, so instead of 999IQ requirement to play it on normal, its merely 600IQ now.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great atmospheric shooter with WW1 era weapons.

Just wanna say 20 hours in and I truly believe this is the best battle royale game in the market. I've tried so many mainstream and indie BR, but most of them ended up feeling more like team deathmatch with 1 live in grand scale due to the lack of objective outside of just being the final survivor. Here in Hunt Showdown, there's only 12 players, but the way the game funnels you into the bosses a.k.a contract targets emphasizes a lot on "hunt or be hunted" concept, requiring you to play methodically. Guns are lethal, soundscape is magnificently immersive (I can guarantee you won't be able to find any game with this impressive sound design), a lot of mechanics that promote cutthroat playstyle, and the level of tension is off the roof. I also really like how you can stay in a match where there's no more players left, so you're really not sure if you're alone and should escape.

For me, Apex Legends is the best mainstream BR game because of its masterful level design, arcadey yet hard to master gunplay and the dynamic hero aspect. But Hunt Showdown is simply the only BR out there took advantage of the genre's concept to its fullest.

Zombra

Patron
Just wanna say 20 hours in and I truly believe [that Hunt: Showdown] is the best battle royale game in the market.
I've been intrigued by this for a long time but am very put off by the developers' stupidity in not bothering to include ranked matchmaking. "New players can go fuck themselves" is not a great mantra for building a community.

PrettyDeadman

Just wanna say 20 hours in and I truly believe [that Hunt: Showdown] is the best battle royale game in the market.
I've been intrigued by this for a long time but am very put off by the developers' stupidity in not bothering to include ranked matchmaking. "New players can go fuck themselves" is not a great mantra for building a community.
They do have a match-making system based on player skill I believe. It works by default. The more players playing at the moment, the less skill difference there will be in a match.

Beowulf

Arcane
They do have a match-making system based on player skill I believe. It works by default. The more players playing at the moment, the less skill difference there will be in a match.

Well, the matchmaking prioritises full servers over ELO matching, and in the recent patch they decreased matchmaking timer to 90s so you will be matched with people with bigger experience in the game from time to time.

But then again, now might be the best time to get into the game - the recent sale and Halloween event basically doubled the playerbase so there is an influx of new players and the matchmaking can give better pairing.

Zombra

Patron
Huh. Last I checked a few months ago, it was just their old system of "under level 10" and "everyone above L10 thrown together completely at random".
Good info, thanks friends.

PrettyDeadman

Huh. Last I checked a few months ago, it was just their old system of "under level 10" and "everyone above L10 thrown together completely at random".
Good info, thanks friends.
If you can play at eu server - you can play with us (trio).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom