Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Dexter

Arcane
Tried some of the Halloween Sale Demos, I'm guessing most of these are older and not time limited:

Man of Medan: Seems like an interactive movie with Dialogue choices. Every character seems to take every small comment you make personally. Good graphical presentation and character modelling though, faces and environments look near lifelike. Hard to tell anything from the "Demo" since it's over before it even begins, barely get to walk around a small boat and press A button to interact with a bunch of stuff.
20201102064624_1wtjrl.jpg

Metamorphosis: Very weird shit playing with perspective, scale, pictures changing as you get closer and stuff. Your character gradually turns into a bug at the beginning of the game. Not exactly "spooky", more strange/bizarre like a Cronenberg movie. It quickly becomes a giant environmental puzzle and you can press TAB to check the Overview for a "map" on where you might want to traverse. Although it's over before you can really get into it properly.
20201102125407_196kcu.jpg

20201102124130_1fgjd7.jpg
20201102124535_1t2jyl.jpg
20201102124825_1m9jfm.jpg
20201102125540_168jo3.jpg
20201102125017_1jsja4.jpg

Crying Suns: Pixel Sci-Fi Tactical RTwP combat game. You are woken up as the clone of an Admiral on the Outer Rim of the Galaxy on board the space Battleship Gehenna, because something went wrong and your ship AI can't establish communication with the capital of your Star Empire anymore. You set out on a Quest to find out what happened 20 years ago and get closer to the Empire and meet and tactically fight all sorts of obstacles along the way while scavenging for resources, hiring better officers, looking out for special opportunities or quests and improving your flagship. You jump from system to system and planet to planet and respond to Events as they happen. You're being pursued like in FTL and only have a specific amount of time in a system, so there's no backtracking. When you engage in combat you put up your Fighter Squadrons against the Enemies and need to destroy the Hull of their main ship to win. This seemed the most promising from the stuff I tried and the Demo itself is already rather extensive.
20201102081031_1dpk34.jpg

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story: Big Tiddy Animu Girls in a Cyberpunk setting. Sidescrolling Adventure with Ghostly apparitions you have to evade and stuff. It's a bit simplistic and gets boring with a lot of backtracking and items only appearing upon completing previous events.
20201102000907_1smjbx.jpg

Little Misfortune: Cute and Creepy game about a little girl going on an Adventure, Psychotic stuff is happening around her and you can sprinkle Glitter to make it all better. Ostensibly about C&C, but the Demo ends after only a short introduction, so hard to tell. It's mostly a Controller Adventure game instead of Mouse Point & Click, you can move left and right on a single plane and interact with stuff using A, Sprinkle with Y and Sprint with the Right Trigger.
20201102104003_1ytjbn.jpg

The Letter: A Girly Horror VN with some Branching choices and the few times you can interact being Quicktime events - the less said about it, the better.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

For some reason, Steam notified me that Lust Epidemic is on sale now, even though it shows "excluded by preferences" on the page. I went to check out the discussions, and this is the top thread.

Gay Content
Will there be any Gay Content?

The replies made me laugh, though. This isn't the kind of responses I expect on Steam forums in the current year.

Why would you even want that?
God, I hope not.
But homosexuality is gay
Ugh, no. I wouldn't even buy it if there was male-on-male content.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1008020/discussions/0/2659872073616047398/

Harthwain

Magister
Game of Thrones (the boardgame) got digital version:

Fury of Dracula is supposed to release this month (mid-November) as well, after some delay (apparently they didn't make it for the Halloween):

I guess they are making digital editions because coronavirus makes it infeasible to play the physical versions?

It's a shame Fury of Dracula looks ugly as hell. Not only because they are using the art from 3rd/4th edition (I preferred 2nd edition looks), but also because of how they handled 3D art (colors on the map are super dark, unlike in the boardgame, and the map itself being in 3D doesn't really bring anything to the table, so to speak).

Game of Thrones was handled much better in the visual department (both the map and the art are in 2D, with only some elements being in 3D. The end result is very solid).

Harthwain

Magister
Any good?
At their core both boardgames are good.

Some issues with A Game of Thrones: The Board Game:

- There are some bugs (mostly minor inconsistencies with the rules).

- Turns don't have a timer per action. Timer is for "total time" (and it can be as low as 1 hour or as high as 7 days), so a match can take forever if someone goes AFK, because it will take up to an hour for the game to boot that player. Less depending on how much time he spent deciding what to do.

To give you a picture: at turn 4 all players had roughly 44 minutes left on their individual clocks, so it was 4 minutes per turn for everyone. Then Martell had to go AFK for 15 minutes (but came back) and he was down to 29 minutes, meaning less time for the less of the game. So if everybody takes 4 minutes per turn and game has 10 turns, then - ideally - you should be done with the game in 40 minutes. Probably more like 45.

- The AI allows you to play the game solo and replaces people who leave, but it's obviously not the same level as playing against real people.

- Price-wise digital version is quite cheap, compared to physical edition and offers a lot of content than the base version of the game (it's essentially the base game + A Clash of Kings expansion rolled into one).

- The challenges are a nice addition. Just a bunch of scenarios with extra conditions, which are supposed to be "a campaign" loosely based on the books (starting from Tywin giving Starks a bloody nose up to Theon trying to prove his worth. I am being opaque here on purpose, in case someone didn't read the books or watched the TV show). Some of the challenges are really difficult. Took me ~26 hours to beat them all. Then I took some more time to get all the achievements (which is rare for me).

- I didn't see any official Discord group for people to set up games with people who are somewhat reliable players (or maybe I just missed it), so finding proper (not random) people could be an issue. Supposedly they have some "Asmodee Buddy system" to be able to set up friends-specific games, but I it looks like setting up a regular game (password protected, of course) is much better way - and quicker - to do it. And finding quick matches is not a bother at all. I found full game literally right away when I was in the middle of typing this post and we played the game no problem. But that depends entirely on what kind of strangers you run into. I have been lucky so far.

Not much I can say about Fury of Dracula. Other than it looks ugly and seems to be bug-free (unless I missed something from the videos I watched already). But if you can stomach that, I think you should be happy. People who own the boardgame and were included in the beta said it really cuts down the time needed to make moves/actions.

Zombra One word of warning - on the release day it will only be possible to play 1v1 (one player controlling Dracula versus one player controlling all Hunters). Proper (1v2/3/4) mode will be implemented later on. No idea if the asynchronous play is possible. Best ask that on Steam forum in the FAQ thread. Developer team member seems to be willing to answer questions to people.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

AS series is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I'll wait for some reviews... Had some bad experiences with their last alien shooter 2 rerereremix or whatever it was. They abandoned it while it still had game-breaking technical issues.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

AS series is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I'll wait for some reviews... Had some bad experiences with their last alien shooter 2 rerereremix or whatever it was. They abandoned it while it still had game-breaking technical issues.

Personally I dont consider those games guilty pleasure I just find them fun games, no guilt attached. First few reviews are all positive and or that price tag even if its shit it would not be a huge loss, I would have already bought it but my graphic card is broken and Im waiting for replacement so I cant play anything for now.

But the moment I fix my card I will buy it unless we get large influx of bad reviews.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
That games only merit is the graphics and animation of the Dinos. It's not actually a park building Sim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom