Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Latelistener

Arcane
What if Steam went out of business?
First of all, people seem to forget that if GOG dies you won't be able to download anything too.

Second, Fallout and Arcanum are DRM free on Steam. meaning you can download them, archive them, store them somewhere and play from any machine. Much better actually than having to deal with installers from GOG.

I would call them being portable, but they probably store some info in the user folders, so technically they aren't.

In summary, what I want to say is that a lot of games on Steam actually don't require Steam to run, but most people won't even try to check that and Valve doesn't want to promote this feature for some reason.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I picked up Disco Elysium and ATOM RPG Trudograd.

Why are you fags buying shit on Steam that's readily available on gog?:decline:

Of all the games featured on screenshots that were posted on this page, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is the only one that's not on gog.

It's an easy decision for anyone who uses Linux. Valve has done a ton for gaming on Linux while GOG still hasn't even made their client available. Do you know how irritating it is to have to completely re-download and install a game every time a patch is released?

Melcar

Arcane
I already have 90% of my GOG library on my machine, safely backed up. I make a habit of checking for updates every month and download as necessary. Well used to anyway, given that GOG got rid of the update marker. Fuckers.
I only use GOG for "old" games anyway. Old classics that I really want to keep safe on my HDD.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not
piracy.png
to download a game you've already paid for. Just saying.

Ivan

Arcane
my haul:
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Ghost of a Tale
(been playing it for the past 2 days and I'm pretty sure this is going to be my GOTY)
The Fall
One Finger Death Punch 2
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
(started this before Gost but some unfortunate audio issues curtailed my playthrough, may have to refund it :/ )

Other titles I'm interested in will have to wait for the Winter sale, with hopefully deeper discounts.

Sodafish

Arcane
what the game offers that modern games don't? genuine question

Solid & interesting level design. An excellent antagonist. A genuine sense of creepy horror and isolation. Well implemented resource management. The audio logs. Possibly the best sound design of any game ever.

Just buy it. It's one of the best PC games ever made. Also happens to be 75% off right now. That's less than the price of a coffee:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/238210/System_Shock_2/

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
I went full popamole this year:

Ass Creed Odyssey - cos' I want to check modern popamole, I haven't play anything like this since Fallout 4 (which sucked hairy balls badly!)
DA: Origins UE - cos' my biggest issue with this game was stupid situations like that:

NPC: Warden! You have to save my doughter!
Me: Ok, where to go?
NPC: Please save her!
Me: Sure, just show me directions.
NPC: BUY DLC!
Me: Fuck you!

But I really found nothing interesting - all other stuff I have or don't feel like in the mood.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Anyone played Yes, Your Grace? I thought it was a kingdom sim similar to Kingdom Two Crowns, but from the user reviews, apparently it's more story driven with pretty good writing, which pique my interest.

Finished it (~5h), and I wouldn't pay more than 20zł for it. It's a simple adventure/resource management game with fairly linear plot and cutesy nostalgia pixelart. You get some choices, but there's pretty much a single way to get everything "right" and save everyone. Somewhat weird music. If you don't understand the lyrics it probably gives some nice Witcher-y vibe, but when you do (it's in Polish) you realize it's just some new age folk "metal" tackled on without much sense. Also the overall plausibility of medieval setting is fairly low and drifts heavily towards modernized nonsense akin to Hollywood "historical" movies.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
what the game offers that modern games don't?
it's an excellent game. and that's already a better offer than modern games's.
well written, interesting and believable maps, unnervingly frightening with only exactly TWO cheap jumpscares, best audio ever, awesome ost.

It's also extremely flexible with graphics and screen resolutions and still looks good over 20 years after it released. An absolute masterpiece, not only as a game but also as a piece of software.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I already have 90% of my GOG library on my machine, safely backed up. I make a habit of checking for updates every month and download as necessary. Well used to anyway, given that GOG got rid of the update marker. Fuckers.

They have fixed that. Update notifications are working again for the last few weeks.

Also, gogrepo is the best way to keep offline installers updated.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Part of it's because I buy everything I can on GOG, but man there's just nothing I want on Steam anymore. I've finally reached peak Steam backlog. Only thing I'm even mildly tempted by is some JRPGs I know I would never, ever play.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
My snags for the sale.

All things I've had my eye on for awhile. Grabbed the Deluxe Edition of Brigador with the OSTs and stuff for an extra $3 or whatever.

I did not know Sunless Skies was on sale. Tempted to snag it but I might see if they do a DLC.

Reme Won

Barely Literate
NPC: Warden! You have to save my doughter!
Me: Ok, where to go?
NPC: Please save her!
Me: Sure, just show me directions.
NPC: BUY DLC!
Me: Fuck you!

If you decline that quest later he shows up saying the same thing again but this time he's got his daughter around the neck and he's holding a gun to her head.

This is one of the very rare occasions Bethesda making use of the 'discount what you own' bundle on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15347/Elder_Scrolls_Summer_Bundle/

Also third week of JunEA:

Bought it, realized it has Origin AIDS, refunded it immediate and bought something better.

it's a decent fps, nothing groundbreaking. i threw it away once i realised that "the way it's meant to be played" is by constantly exploiting a movement bug. yes, you heard it right. ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom