Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Sore Loser

Savant

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
My haul so far:
F3q4d8k.jpg

chuft

Augur
Can someone comment on active pause in Warhammer 40K games?

Someone recommended the Dawn of War games to me. I never got into RTS games, except for Homeworld games and Blitzkrieg games, because I don't like the frantic clicking. When I did play those games, I was able to pause and give orders, like a RTWP CRPG. I kind of assumed this would be a thing for all single player mode RTS games. Apparently it isn't.

When I experimented with Battlefleet Gothic, it has a slow down feature, but not an actual pause. Apparently the ability to pause and give orders is called "active pause" and a lot of games don't have it. Interesting list here

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/pausetacticality/discussions/0/2906376154321402758/

It sounds like Dawn of War 2, which is otherwise highly recommended for solo play, totally lacks active pause/bullet time. Is this true? If so, no way am I going to buy it. Worse, it sounds like it did have it at one point, but it was patched away, making older discussions about it confusing. Does DOW1 have/still have active pause? Do its expansions?

DOW2 sounded like it was better suited for solo play in terms of its mechanics, but lack of active pause just kills it if that's accurate.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It sounds like Dawn of War 2, which is otherwise highly recommended for solo play, totally lacks active pause/bullet time. Is this true? If so, no way am I going to buy it. Worse, it sounds like it did have it at one point, but it was patched away,
WTF? I was gonna tell you that Dawn of War 2 has it, but it does seem like people are saying it was patched out. Back when I played the campaign, it had it, but it wasn't 100% great. Some abilities couldn't be queued up while paused, IIRC. What a shame if they removed it. I remember the campaign being pretty neat. I'll install it real quick and see.

I, too, struggle to play RTS games without it.

Edit: Dammit, my keyboard on this computer doesn't have the right key. I'll have to check later on my other computer.

Edit 2: OK, I tried it on my other computer, and you can still pause and issue orders but it's kinda fucked. First of all, there's the box on the screen with the menu options when you pause, so you won't have access to the center of the screen. You can select your dudes and order them to move, but it looks like all special abilities (grenades, spells, whatever) are disabled while it's paused. It definitely wasn't like that 10 years ago, so I guess that patched it in later.

Last edited:

chuft

Augur
So there is a WH40K turn based 4X called Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War. Maybe this would be a better choice than playing Dawn of War and pausing all the time. Any thoughts on this?

Didn't realize there were a billion Warhammer computer games.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
My wishlist clearing/cheap haul:
Atom RPG
Balrum
A Legionary's Life
West Of Loathing

Also tried steam "recommendations" (with popular/niche and older/newer sliders). Not so bad... got this fun looking stuff for mindless gaming.

And thanks to Codex...
Dustbowl

sser

Arcane
Developer
Afghanistan '11 + UK DLC
Curse of Yendor
Wayward
Unreal World
Wild West and Wizards
Monster Train

And yet still mostly just playing the same games I already got :M

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Warms my heart so see people buying traditional roguelikes. :salute:

Part of it's because I buy everything I can on GOG, but man there's just nothing I want on Steam anymore. I've finally reached peak Steam backlog. Only thing I'm even mildly tempted by is some JRPGs I know I would never, ever play.

Really? I have the opposite issue with GOG; a lot of cool indie games they seem to reject, at least initially, even retro-style RPGs that are very much their original demographic.

I'm still trying to work out if I want to buy anything substantial, though I already bought a few old games like Master of Magic and Darklands while waiting because they're so cheap. Oh, and a kind soul gifted me the Atelier Dusk Trilogy — some people! We're not even that close, she just really likes Atelier (to the point of cosplaying it). Super grateful for it though; I love that all the interesting JRPGs are coming to Steam lately.

Still waiting on Judgement and Fist of the North Star tho...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My "haul":

Path of Wuxia
Treachery in Beatdown City
Ganbare! Super Strikers
Shadows of Adam
Demon's Rise - Lords of Chaos
Demon's Rise - War for the Deep

I paid €30.80 with the voucher.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Void.

Best boobs. Best gameplay. Best challenge.

oo this was on my radar a while back but whenever I buy these explorey games i never play them so maaayybe
It's one of the best games I've ever played. I don't know what "explorey" games are, but whatever you think of The Void it's not really that. It's a very unique game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom