Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

piydek

Cipher
Zeno clash is 3€ today, so might be a good heads-up to some people.

Multi-headed Cow

Civ 4 complete $10 is great.

Flotilla for $2.50 looks great.

Gothic 2+expansion+3 for 2 looks... Ok.

Max Payne bundle for $4 is great.

Dawn of War 2 bundle for $20 is eh unless you're Kingcomrade and eat breathe and shit 40k.

Zeus

Cipher
Is there any way I can get my hands on a retail boxed copy of Gothic II with a printed manual? I usually don't buy RPGs or strategy games as digital downloads, because I like reading about spells and combat systems and stuff in a nice hardcopy manual.

If not, and the only copies of Gothic II being sold are cheap pdf-on-the-disc versions, I might give this a try.

Multi-headed Cow

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Gothic 2 Gold for £0.89?

Fucking sold.
Gothic 2 Gold WITH the terrible terrible Gothic 3.

Also for god's sake don't buy Necrovision, no matter how much you love Painkiller. Picked it up since I wanted to see if it was decent and it isn't. IT ISN'T AT ALL. UGH.

Flotilla is neat though. Played it for a while. I'm terrible at the combat but still get a kick out of it.

Zeus

Cipher
Mangoose said:
Maybe buy the printed manual separately? It may be cheaper to do so since the game is on sale.

Edit: Not sure where you're located, but there's always Ebay for the retail box: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gothic-II-PC-Games- ... 1e5c449e60

Edit 2: found a manual on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

Hey man, thanks for checking around for me. I'll probably pick it up on eBay. It's like a 10x markup, but in my opinion, worth it for the box, manual, and freedom to play it without wrangling Steam into offline mode. :D

Edit: Wow, looks like Steam raised the Gothic set from $2 to $4. Just so youse guys know.

Now I'm off to buy Flotilla, a game with, AFAIK, no retail box or manual anywhere to be found, so I can safely buy the friggin' download. ;)

Multi-headed Cow

Weird, just noticed the Gothic bundle got bumped up to $5. Guess I'm glad I jumped on it when it was $2. Someone apparently fucked up the price.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can also buy them separately now (the Gothics) -- sucks I missed the $2 glitch, though. :cry:

Annonchinil

Scholar
Is Gothic II any good? How does it compare to Morrowind? I usually find that 3D RPGs tend to age worse.

yaster

Liturgist
It's most probably the best open world/sandbox action RPG out there. It's got pretty neat combat system, I wouldn't overvalued it but it's still much better than Morro - I'd advise using melee tho', it's the most enjoyable. World isn't as big as Morro but imho the attention to details make it much much more worth dwelling in it.

What's really set it apart for me is npc/quest system. npc's have got their own schedules neatly fleshing out world and there's certain level o responsiveness to them caused by players actions. There are some multiple quest solution (like couple ways of entering to the 1st city), some player choices with consequences (biggest would be choosing 1 of 3 factions determining the play style) and all that nice features. There is also this neat system of friendly npc fights - if player attack (or is attacked by) npc then outcome of the battle is non-lethal, winner can loot looser (npcs take money and that kind of little things), but looser remains alive etc. There is possibility of killing defined enemy but it leads to dire consequences (other folks wouldn't mind killing you too etc.). It adds this certain layer of player-npc iterations. Also G2 implements law system, npc reacts to player taking their things and if he runs away with stolen good, he needs to pay fine etc. Creeping into their houses is also not something appreciated.

G2 also have very well done exploration aspect, making it worth to look under every rock and in every cranny.

Morrowind is all about fantastic art direction. The rest, mechanics, combat, quest, writing etc. is from mediocre to rather weak. Not really in the same league as G2.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS GOTHIC 2 IS BETTER THAN MORROWWIND RTHOUGH I LIKE BOTH

I AGREE WITH BRODAWG ABOVE MORROWIND IS JUST LESS INTERACTIVE BUT MORE PRETTUY

Annonchinil

Scholar
Just got

Gothic II Gold (not sure if I will like it but its cheap!)
Sacred Gold (time waster)
Space Rangers 2 Reboot
Star Wolves

Total: $15

Was also thinking of:
Sword of the Stars Ultimate (just got MoO)
Fleet Command (keep on trying but don't enjoy naval warfare)
King's Bounty: The Legend (maybe will get this if SR2 is not fun)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Anyone got any feedback on Gothic 3 with the fan patch?

Joghurt

Augur
Well I tried it about a year ago and while there were no quest-breaking bugs I still couldn't enjoy the game because the combat sucks and there is too much of it to ignore how much it sucks.

VooghKhloor

Novice
Metro said:
Anyone got any feedback on Gothic 3 with the fan patch?
Well, a friend who played through Gothic 2 about 15-20 times, said that it was pretty decent with the community patch. Can't say myself, since I've only barely touched the series.

Gothic 2 gold edition for 2,5 euro. Even though I have an original copy of the game I don't have Notr defiantly worth it.
Civs IV with both expansions and colonizations 10 euro.
Totaling at 12,5 euro, decent enough I would say. Even if Civ IV is only half as good as III or II it seems to be worth it.

Multi-headed Cow

I liked Civ4 a fuck ton more than 3. The only weak point is the espionage system added in the Beyond the Sword expansion, which is a shame since you'll want to play using BtS anyway for all the other additions.

Daily deals today aren't so hot. All Europa Universalis games on Steam 66% which I know nothing about, and the Tales of Monkey Island pack for $12 which might not be bad. Those look to be the notable ones to my eyes.

Multi-headed Cow

Space Rangers 2 if only because I've played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom