Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Latro

Arcane
For some reason Gorky 17 on Steam got silly bonus materials and soundtrack: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9495/Gorky_17__Gold_Edition/

wait, what's the difference between that Gold Edition (that costs money) and goodies from GOG version of the game (where they are free)? Beside cheats, walkthrough and silly minigame?

and lol, G17 on steam have full Potato edition (with audio) while GOG one is engrish only. Way to go GOG...
Hey, can you do Polish audio with English subs? If so, I'd go buy it right now.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_ab9e4fd3038cd3a6667380bc33387786ea78df88.600x338.jpg
ss_c790252692cd5dc81e7ffdc2850264b25f54fc29.600x338.jpg

Put on your headphones and step back into the past. Use the voices you hear to return to crime scenes, tracking down each individual involved and solving the cases. But where do the voices come from? Can you trust what you hear? And what’s the mysterious thread weaving all of these cases together?

A Unique Case-Solving Experience
Discover the truth hidden in the voices from the past.

Step through time as you use our device to eavesdrop on conversations from past crime scenes. Every clue, every move, and every motive will be presented in the form of audio. Rather than controlling any one character, you only need listen to their conversations, following along as the story evolves. Use the information you hear to match names to voices and determine how everything (and everyone) is related. Can you discover the truth?

Open-Ended Narrative Mystery Game
Explore the story and piece together the puzzle in your own way!

Don’t expect to be “fed” a pile of clues. Rather, take the role of a fly on the wall, observing and listening to the events as they unfold. Anyone could be the culprit; key clues may be revealed at any second; any character's storyline may cross paths with another at any point in time. YOU be the editor—the order of the story is up to you!

Elite Dangerous is a weird fucking game. It's both well worth the $15 (Since the Horizons pack is good, you don't NEED it but it gives you some more fucking around in space) and not worth it and a terrible game. On one hand it's super satisfying to fly around exploring/trading/scanning/whatever, the graphics and sound are great and the feeling when dogfighting is top notch. On the other hand the money grind is an absolute fucking ballbuster. I'm kind of in a catbird spot since I hopped on a money exploit when it was live so I'm basically set for life on spacebux and can just play and customize ships at my leisure, but unless they've dramatically rebalanced the economy things start out looking fairly promising and you can buy new ships and upgrades in reasonable timeframes until you get around the mid-point, where the game slams on the breaks because high end ships are obscenely expensive both to purchase and to equip, especially because you REALLY want high end equipment if you're flying an expensive ship.

Overall it's worth it though. As flawed as it is it really scratches the itch when you want some space shit, and since there's no monthly fees or anything you can put it aside for a few months and come back later when you feel the mood.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Elite Dangerous is a weird fucking game. It's both well worth the $15 (Since the Horizons pack is good, you don't NEED it but it gives you some more fucking around in space) and not worth it and a terrible game. On one hand it's super satisfying to fly around exploring/trading/scanning/whatever, the graphics and sound are great and the feeling when dogfighting is top notch. On the other hand the money grind is an absolute fucking ballbuster. I'm kind of in a catbird spot since I hopped on a money exploit when it was live so I'm basically set for life on spacebux and can just play and customize ships at my leisure, but unless they've dramatically rebalanced the economy things start out looking fairly promising and you can buy new ships and upgrades in reasonable timeframes until you get around the mid-point, where the game slams on the breaks because high end ships are obscenely expensive both to purchase and to equip, especially because you REALLY want high end equipment if you're flying an expensive ship.

Overall it's worth it though. As flawed as it is it really scratches the itch when you want some space shit, and since there's no monthly fees or anything you can put it aside for a few months and come back later when you feel the mood.
The Beyond expansion just came out yesterday (free for Horizon owners) and it has a shit ton of new things, revamped gameplay mechanics and such. Not saying that everything is super good know, but things like mining and exploration has been overhauled for example. The game is so much more now, than was 6 months ago. I think for 15 dollars it worth it.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Elite Dangerous is a weird fucking game. It's both well worth the $15... and not worth it and a terrible game. Overall it's worth it though. As flawed as it is it really scratches the itch when you want some space shit, and since there's no monthly fees or anything you can put it aside for a few months and come back later when you feel the mood.

How does this play out with a VR headset? Does it benefit from the immersion, or is it mostly clicking on menus?

Astral Rag

Arcane

Is the game worth getting for single player?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Elite Dangerous is a weird fucking game. It's both well worth the $15... and not worth it and a terrible game. Overall it's worth it though. As flawed as it is it really scratches the itch when you want some space shit, and since there's no monthly fees or anything you can put it aside for a few months and come back later when you feel the mood.

How does this play out with a VR headset? Does it benefit from the immersion, or is it mostly clicking on menus?
The game plays great with VR, it is not like EVE online with a lots of menus. You are actually flying a ship, you can look around in the cockpit, and soon you probably will be able to walk around.

I'd definitely take Matt's recommendation since I haven't got a VR headset, but it should work pretty fine with it. When you're flying you don't even use your mouse (Other than as a joystick if you aren't using one already of course) since you use keyboard commands if you want to pull up menus and rejigger shit. In fact a lot of the menus are holographic screens that pop up when you look a certain way, and assuming that VR handles it the same it'd be pretty cool. Elite's one of the few games that should benefit quite a lot from VR assuming it's high enough resolution to read which I have no idea.

Is the game worth getting for single player?
Yes so long as you go into it knowing that it'll be a huge grind. You can even play in pseudo-single player where you're still online (No matter what you're always playing Elite online, so if your internet takes a shit be warned) but it hides all other players. But the dynamic economies, controlled areas, faction wars, etc etc etc are all still functioning off of the online universe and you can participate in it. You just don't have to worry about a player interdicting your ass.

Like I warned in the first post though, advancement is a big grind (Although in Elite's defense you as the player benefit from learning the value of shit, so you realize when you ought to move on and find something new since the missions/trade route/bounties/whatever aren't as profitable now), but as long as that doesn't put you off it's highly playable single player. In fact that's been one of the knocks against the game, there's been so little reason to actually play with other people. They've slightly improved that now by letting people multi-crew some ships (Splitting off some duties and basically cheats and gives the ship extra power to play with, which you can wank and say is because it's more efficient when it isn't one guy doing everything himself), made grouping up a little more enticing, and some of the fatter ships can even hold and launch small fighters which can either be piloted by other players or you can hire NPC pilots to be fighter-fodder and they'll gain XP the longer they kill shit and survive with you and they'll take a cut of all your pay.

Dexter

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom