Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's a good thing valve's refund policy isn't a court of law but meant to be a pro-consumer tool to help against deceptive practices in the video game industry.
I'm sure corporations in the largest entertainment industry in the world enjoy you protecting them though.
I was actually thinking something similar: you may be a reasonably competent programmer of some sort, but you'd be a godawful attorney, especially if you don't see how these issues are related.
I think one of the people who controls Rusty's account is a lawyer, based on some previous comments. Another is a developer. The third is a NEET who has some reasonably good opinions on RPGs from time to time.

And they're all feds.
His most reasonable opinion is about Fallout 76 being the best Fallout game of all time.

Gostak

Educated
These are legit good (got my money's worth out of these at least):

Barotrauma (my review on Steam is negative, though So I have reservations here)
A Pirate Quartermaster (available elsewhere, too)
Streets of Rogue (available on GOG, too)
Airships Conquer the Skies (available elsewhere, too) got this on an older sale for 8,99 when it was still a bit cheaper. Hyped for the upcoming update.
Super Blood Hockey
Barony (available on GOG, too)
Heat Signature
Noita (available on GOG, too) EDIT: With reservation ... It's a tad too hard and unforgiving.
FlatOut (available on GOG, too)

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
A lot of historical lows, but those historical drops are only marginal. Overall a disappointing sale.

The reason why bigger sales are worse is because not many want to put a title with a good discount for 14 days. Noticed how Nioh 2 was removed from sale right before the start?

The previous big sale in December was also bad, but short "7 days or less" sales in November were great. They were practically they real Winter Sale.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
A lot of historical lows, but those historical drops are only marginal. Overall a disappointing sale.

The reason why bigger sales are worse is because not many want to put a title with a good discount for 14 days. Noticed how Nioh 2 was removed from sale right before the start?

The previous big sale in December was also bad, but short "7 days or less" sales in November were great. They were practically they real Winter Sale.
Every time people gripe about the steam sale being bad I am reminded that there is a considerable population who are still buying keys directly from Steam and who wait around for the most expensive place to buy games to offer meager annual discounts.

Crusader Kings III, Steam sale (20pc off): £33.59. Reputable keysite (no sale, normal price): £28.28. Disreputable keysite: £12.68.

Steam is just for activating your game. Stop buying games there.

Latelistener

Arcane
Yeah, it's best to use https://gg.deals/ for that. I usually create alerts for wanted titles. And I can still whine about sales though, since those are big events on PC.

Unfortunately, other shops do not always help. Good luck buying Sekiro off Steam for example: https://gg.deals/game/sekiro-shadows-die-twice/
Or in case of some newer titles, one of the highlights of this sale : https://gg.deals/game/ender-lilies-quietus-of-the-knights/
Or you just want a game on Steam, but every shop sells keys for Origin: https://gg.deals/game/command-conquer-remastered-collection/

Plus, sometimes other shops do not have regional pricing. Some titles cost really cheap in some regions on Steam thanks to that.

koyota

Cipher
Patron

But the not-at all rolling in money devs for Atom RPG deserve your money.

Not sure if you are referring to something like green man gaming (Where the devs get money) or a third party pre-owned key reseller site though.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron

But the not-at all rolling in money devs for Atom RPG deserve your money.

Not sure if you are referring to something like green man gaming (Where the devs get money) or a third party pre-owned key reseller site though.

Surely your magnamity extends to buying the game on EGS, where it is approximately 50% more expensive and where presumably the developer also gets a bigger cut of your spending?

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/atom-rpg-3adb54

:troll:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Every time people gripe about the steam sale being bad I am reminded that there is a considerable population who are still buying keys directly from Steam and who wait around for the most expensive place to buy games to offer meager annual discounts.

Crusader Kings III, Steam sale (20pc off): £33.59. Reputable keysite (no sale, normal price): £28.28. Disreputable keysite: £12.68.

Regional pricing is much better on steam than on keyshops and you get small bonuses like steam levels and points to spend on profile backgrounds. Its naïve to think keyshops are a way to outwit the system when they all exist at Valve's pleasure. If they really did something that pissed them off, they could be easily shut down.

If you're buying from shady keyshops like G2A, its better to pirate because at least piracy is zero-impact, compared to the keys sold there that are bought with stolen cards whose chargebacks cost the developers financial harm. One developer even publicly asked people to pirate his stuff instead of buying from stores like those.

Also, I'm sure more goes to the devs when (reputable) keyshops don't need to be given a cut and its just split between the developers and Gabe, though don't quote me on that.

Ivan

Arcane
splurged a bit this year: tried to enforce a -50% minimum discount rule (thought I'll definitely be breaking this when the Cuphead expansion releases tomorrow)

Disco Elysium
In Sound Mind
Journey
Later Alligator
Little Misfortune
Lorelai
Nightmare of Decay
They Always Run
Valley

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I was wondering, is there any ismetric/topdown 2D slash-m-up or action adventure or roguelite or whatever with the open world scope of Elden Ring or Breath of the Wild? Crosscode comes to mind, and it's still very lineal.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
I was wondering, is there any 2D slash-m-up or action adventure or roguelite or whatever with the open world scope of Elden Ring or Breath of the Wild? Crosscode comes to mind, and it's still very lineal.
I'm not sure if that makes sense. It will be a very boring game in terms of environment. Isometric ones with big worlds usually have world maps to travel instead, like recent Weird West or Death Trash.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I was wondering, is there any 2D slash-m-up or action adventure or roguelite or whatever with the open world scope of Elden Ring or Breath of the Wild? Crosscode comes to mind, and it's still very lineal.
I'm not sure if that makes sense. It will be a very boring game in terms of environment. Isometric ones with big worlds usually have world maps to travel instead, like recent Weird West or Death Trash.
I meant isometric 2d, yeah. Or top-down. Old Zelda basically, but with the scope of Elden Ring or BotW. I wonder if any Zelda Classics mod reached those heights.

Syl

Cipher
I must have done really wrong with my Steam account to have THAT in my discovery queue :oops::

100% positive reviews, WTF!?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom