Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

toughasnails

VSXuwHK.png

:dead:
Invade Amerika and seize the means of game distribution, comrade!

(in any case, I think that people from that corner of the world tend to obtain their games in more "anarchistic" ways to begin with)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The worst thing about Steam Sales now is that there are exactly zero surprises. The sales you see on day one are the ones you'll see at the end. And they're all shit.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Thinking really hard about getting this, but I don't know. It's not -75%. I could almost buy a 1L carton of soup with that. Help, is it any good, Modron?

It's a little over an hour long love letter to early King's Quest games, I wouldn't say it's particularly great but it has some charm. It's definitely old school in its design sensibilities as it's a walk all over creation to find an item to use on the other side of the map kind of affair at times. Granted said map isn't huge. At 79 cents I don't think you'll be too upset if it's not your cup of tea.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
thanks guys, but i'm looking for something not too old and with polushed combat and animations. ala dragons dogma ( ofc i'm not expecting the same level of combat and aninations)
Praey for the Gods is a bit more actiony take on Shadow of the Colossus so it might scratch that Dragon's Dogma itch somewhat. As to the weird spelling as they got hit by Zenimax's lawyers early in their Early Access.

Modron

Arcane
I was under the impression that it was down to individual publishers and even then most of them were just doing it to avoid dealing with the volatility of the ruble's value.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I was under the impression that it was down to individual publishers and even then most of them were just doing it to avoid dealing with the volatility of the ruble's value.
Checked Portal 2, from Valve itself and it is indeed still for sale in rubles: https://steamdb.info/app/620/ as opposed to a Russia-boycotting CDPR game: https://steamdb.info/app/292030/ Wow so Valve is still selling games in Russia and the steam marketplace is also probably active. That could mean some big-brained CSGO players are probably siphoning money to motherland by selling gun skins and crates to Americans.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Steam still sells in Russia? I thought they joined the trend and stopped business from there.
Some publishers (by some I mean most of them) delisted their games from Russian region. Only indies and some jap stuff remain.
But even if you find a game that's available for purchase, there's a payment problem - most of the banks were cut off from SWIFT.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Just comparing wishlist/alert prices on gg.deals shows me how weak the sale is. I guess I'll hold out and see if anything notable comes up in Humble Choice before buying. After all, you're supposed to wait for the very last day of the sale before buying your stuff. Price mistakes notwithstanding.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Steam still sells in Russia? I thought they joined the trend and stopped business from there.
Some publishers (by some I mean most of them) delisted their games from Russian region. Only indies and some jap stuff remain.
But even if you find a game that's available for purchase, there's a payment problem - most of the banks were cut off from SWIFT.
I see, would you say the steamdb price-lists reflect reality? Eg Portal 2 seems to be available in Russia according to it: https://steamdb.info/app/620/ Also, is the steam marketplace / inventory trading still active?

Wunderbar

Arcane

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I see, would you say the steamdb price-lists reflect reality? Eg Portal 2 seems to be available in Russia according to it: https://steamdb.info/app/620/
yes, Valve didn't block their games.
Also, is the steam marketplace / inventory trading still active?
yes.
Although, there might be some limitations I'm not aware of since I don't play F2P games and I don't buy cases/weapon skins.
Interesting. As I said a few posts before, it could mean that steam inventory items could be used to get foreign money into Russia, if the payment goes through without issues that is.

Aemar

Arcane
For some reason there are better deals on fanatical.com, including flash sales.

The worst thing about Steam Sales now is that there are exactly zero surprises. The sales you see on day one are the ones you'll see at the end. And they're all shit.
When they got rid of Flash Sales, Daily Deals and Community Choice back in 2014 it absolutely killed the buzz around the Steam Sales. Devs used to have to compete for those slots on the front page, now come day one or day fourteen it's the same old shitty prices. You can thank the retards who demanded the refund system so they could have zero consequences for their poor self-restraint at everyone else's expense. You can also thank the "I can't possibly check my phone once every four hours!" whiners.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
When they got rid of Flash Sales, Daily Deals and Community Choice back in 2014 it absolutely killed the buzz around the Steam Sales. Devs used to have to compete for those slots on the front page, now come day one or day fourteen it's the same old shitty prices. You can thank the retards who demanded the refund system so they could have zero consequences for their poor self-restraint at everyone else's expense. You can also thank the "I can't possibly check my phone once every four hours!" whiners.
How dare there be deals I might miss out on because I sleep sometimes! Nevermind that they usually get rerun during the encore stuff, so you could pretty much just wait til the end of the sale then buy whatever you want in the last few days.

How dare there be deals I might miss out on because I sleep sometimes! Nevermind that they usually get rerun during the encore stuff, so you could pretty much just wait til the end of the sale then buy whatever you want in the last few days.
Yep, I can't tell you the amount of quality titles I accumulated from about 2012-2014 and that was a period where I was quite poor. I couldn't touch that now with sales like these, in this economy. Good times back then, being up late with a buddy from Australia waiting for the next flash sale to role over before passing out. Thriftiness was a game unto itself.

Retardo

Learned
Yep, I can't tell you the amount of quality titles I accumulated from about 2012-2014 and that was a period where I was quite poor. I couldn't touch that now with sales like these, in this economy. Good times back then, being up late with a buddy from Australia waiting for the next flash sale to role over before passing out. Thriftiness was a game unto itself.
What was your reason behind being poor and buying games instead of just pirating?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The one thing that completely and literally killed the seasonal sales is the fact that now they are either the same or, in many cases, worse than dailies. There's just nothing to wait for when it comes to actually buying games, all there is to them is winning stickers for some inane "events" or whatever, yaaay.

Modron

Arcane
Is it me or this "sale" is just a compilation of all sales from a year or so?

Same fucking games all the time... Are there any surprises?
Yes? I mean game releases have slowed down in recent years dramatically because of covid. That said I feel like there are a lot more deeper discounts this year than the previous 2-3 years.

The one thing that completely and literally killed the seasonal sales is the fact that now they are either the same or, in many cases, worse than dailies. There's just nothing to wait for when it comes to actually buying games, all there is to them is winning stickers for some inane "events" or whatever, yaaay.
This occurred because they destroyed the race to the bottom to get games into the flash sales on the frontpage. There's no incentive for putting a deeper discount because now there's "better" ways to discover games. Because I don't know about you guys, but I totally consider what the algorithm recommends me on the regular... Used to be that every 4-8 hours you'd get a handful of games with deeper discounts pop up and that kept you coming back to the storefront. It's the same feeling you'd get when going to a flea market at different times of day. The thrill of the hunt and all that. They shot their own interactivity in the foot and so put in the gamified crap that amounts to nothing every sale as a shoddy replacement.

Like mediocrepoet was saying, be sure to thank all the losers complaining how deeply "unfair" it was that they couldn't be present for every sale, because remember, far better that no one gets to have nice things than some people get to have nice things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom