Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Sykar

Arcane
Hyper Light Drifter on Steam for only 5 Euros. I completely missed this but it looks gorgeous and I do enjoy these types of games form time to time.

Curratum

Also, stop posting games that are TBA or are announced for 12+ months into the future. 90% of that shit is never coming out.

TC Jr

Scholar
Got PGA Tour 2k21 for £12.49, I pirated it a week ago and once it clicked it was hard to put down. I haven't touched a golf game since the old Tiger Woods ones so that may play a factor.
Bought it as the cracked version had no online (obviously), no custom courses but most gay was no PGA Tour mode, so you were essentially stuck playing private matches solo, still fun to fuck around mind you.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ignorathon.
Screenshot_20220804-163414_Steam.jpg

Wunderbar

Arcane
I think all three Sands of Time trilogy games are good (there's also the fourth game called The Forgottens Sands, but i didn't play it).

Latelistener

Arcane
Amy of these Prince of Persia games worth getting while they're 80% off?

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/23487/Prince_Of_Persia_Franchise/
Sands of Time - Warrior Within - Two Thrones is a good trilogy. The endings in each are fulfilling, so you don't really need to play the next one, but you should still play them in chronological order as WW and TT refer to past events.

SoT is the best game in the series.

Haven't played the 2008 reboot, but I heard it's okay.

Forgotten Sands is mediocre from what I heard and it is where the series died (and was replaced with AC).

Curratum

The PoP games are borderline unplayable on a modern widescreen monitor and a modern OS. I have them all and it's a struggle to play, controls are funky, resolution issues etc. Wouldn't recommend, even if the core gameplay is good.

Divinity: Original Sin
The PoP games are borderline unplayable on a modern widescreen monitor and a modern OS. I have them all and it's a struggle to play, controls are funky, resolution issues etc. Wouldn't recommend, even if the core gameplay is good.
There are mods that fix them.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Prince_of_Persia:_The_Sands_of_Time#Widescreen_resolution
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Prince_of_Persia:_Warrior_Within#Widescreen_resolution
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Prince_of_Persia:_The_Two_Thrones#Widescreen_resolution

I played them with Kb + M and I never had any trouble. I have a vagu memory that the default Mouse camera is vertical and horizontal inverted in warrior within. But you can change that in options.

Sands of Time - Warrior Within - Two Thrones is a good trilogy. The endings in each are fulfilling, so you don't really need to play the next one, but you should still play them in chronological order as WW and TT refer to past events.

SoT is the best game in the series.

Haven't played the 2008 reboot, but I heard it's okay.

Forgotten Sands is mediocre from what I heard and it is where the series died (and was replaced with AC).

Sands of time is the one that introduces a lot of the mechanics in the trilogy, but combat is simple and a bit repetitive, but it never overstays its welcome, and the game folows a linear level by level system. Warrior Within changes the tone into a more edgy presentation, with another voice actor for the prince, but combat is more elaborate with different weapons and combos, it is in a way a metroidvania, as you can backtrack and the whole island and unlock ways to progress, and explore places in the past and the present (but there is missable areas wich may affect the ending - you have to explore a lot to get to all areas and get a final item which unlock the best and canon ending). The two thrones comes after the success of god of war and since the POP and GOW had similar gameplay, they added a whip/chain like weapon like kratos blades, but it gets back to the tone of the original, even bringing back the original voice actor, but combat improved from warrior within. It's quite linear again, level by level. The story is all interconnected and the trilogy ending reminds me a lot of the thief trilogy ending, in the sense of closing a cycle.

POP 2008 is a stand alone game, using assassin's creed engine, and it has a whole new setting and setup. It has the infamous "you can't die" mechanic. It's is a good game, it's really beaultiful, but it's incomplete on PC, since it doesn't have the DLC that adds the epilogue. The platforming is it's strength, but combat is bad. I wouldn't recommend this, only as a curiosity.

Forgotten sands came at the same time they released the prince of persia movie. It is set between sands of time and warrior within. It's good and it improves the time powers in ways the originals couldn't, and if you liked the platforming and traps of the trilogy, you'll enjoy. But combat is again, terrible. they used Assassion's creed engine again, and one of the features of that game was the ability of rendering crowds. So the put you aginst dozens of enemies at once, but they are so slow and telegraphed that they offer no challenge at all. Also, this game is a filler, adding a brother to the prince that was never mentioned before, but all in all, it's better than the 2008 game. I would recomend for the platforming alone.

There's a nintendo wii/PS2 version of forgotten sands, that is not a port, but a whole different game that has the same story of the main game. but I never played it.

ferratilis

Magister
Doom 3, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, DOOM II, Doom Classic Complete, Final DOOM have been delisted from Steam, and they've been merged into the Doom 3 BFG and Doom II: Hell on Earth editions
https://steamdb.info/app/208200/history/
https://steamdb.info/app/2300/history/

It's interesting they're doing this ahead of QuakeCon next week.

EDIT: just so it's clear:
Doom 1 now includes the original and the enhanced port.
Doom 2 now includes the original + expansions, Final Doom and Master Levels.
Doom 3 now includes the original + expansions and the BFG Edition.

For example, if you only had Doom 3 original, you get BFG Edition for free.

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
The BFG Edition was released when VR headsets started to get popular, and for consoles, of course. Hence the ammo count was doubled, lighting was changed, cutscenes become unskippable for some reason, and they made it so you can use flashlight with a weapon. Because of VR, they didn't want a horror-shooter, just a regular one. It was a strange decision because imo it's a better VR experience with horror elements. But by far the worst part of BFG Edition are the included versions of Doom 1 and 2, with censorship and terrible random sfx pitch. Just listen to SS and chaingun and you'll understand.

Luckily, on PC you can use BFA Edition to change most of that, and there are additional tools to decensor the Doom 1/2 ports and add more functionality. But instead of polishing turds, one can just play the original versions with much better mods. Someone even ported the added Lost Levels from BFG Edition to the original.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Highest rated roguelite on itch.io now available on Steam. Based around inventory square management.

Unfortunately they didn't go with the $3 skengman dev roguelite route.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom