Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

So Hitman: World of Assassinations is on Steam Spring Sale for $38 (45% off). Really want to try it as I love some of the older Hitman games, but I am fucking confused by what's included in it. It says Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 Season Pass as DLCs, what da fuck do that even mean? IO deserves to go bankrupt for the shit show they created with these games and the fucking DLCs, maps, older games in newer engines, the whole fucking clusterfuck.

So Hitman: World of Assassinations is on Steam Spring Sale for $38 (45% off). Really want to try it as I love some of the older Hitman games, but I am fucking confused by what's included in it. It says Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 Season Pass as DLCs, what da fuck do that even mean? IO deserves to go bankrupt for the shit show they created with these games and the fucking DLCs, maps, older games in newer engines, the whole fucking clusterfuck.
I'm guessing it's part of the whole going indie + rebooting the franchise so there's two Hitman 1, two Hitman 2, etc.... and the cherry on top is the online-activated targets, which are modeled after the temporary events in gacha games. The thing is, instead of confusing the masses more than what they are, and with the intention of turning Hitman into a Software as a Service kinda deal, the whole reboot trilogy is now one thing, with 1, 2 and 3 as DLCs. Hitman 3 needed its own flux diagramto guess which version had what content, so yeah.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
That might be because it hurts HB's image to admit they fucked up. I remember that once they applied a discount on HOMMV and its expansions on Steam (that is, directly on Steam) and it ended up giving a negative price. I "bought" them and still have them on my library. This was years ago too.
Did you get money in your Steam wallet or simply free? I assume the latter although the former would be more fun, even though really unlikely

That might be because it hurts HB's image to admit they fucked up. I remember that once they applied a discount on HOMMV and its expansions on Steam (that is, directly on Steam) and it ended up giving a negative price. I "bought" them and still have them on my library. This was years ago too.
Did you get money in your Steam wallet or simply free? I assume the latter although the former would be more fun, even though really unlikely
I got them for free, more or less. No extra credit for me. Obviously Steam is not designed to give "change". Still it was amusing to see because the price was like -$123.

I'm guessing it's part of the whole going indie + rebooting the franchise so there's two Hitman 1, two Hitman 2, etc.... and the cherry on top is the online-activated targets, which are modeled after the temporary events in gacha games. The thing is, instead of confusing the masses more than what they are, and with the intention of turning Hitman into a Software as a Service kinda deal, the whole reboot trilogy is now one thing, with 1, 2 and 3 as DLCs. Hitman 3 needed its own flux diagramto guess which version had what content, so yeah

Does that mean that if I buy World of Assassinations, I can play all 3 games in Hitman 3 engine?

The Freelance mode sounds pretty interesting.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got them for free, more or less. No extra credit for me. Obviously Steam is not designed to give "change". Still it was amusing to see because the price was like -$123.
Please play our shitty game! :(

I'm guessing it's part of the whole going indie + rebooting the franchise so there's two Hitman 1, two Hitman 2, etc.... and the cherry on top is the online-activated targets, which are modeled after the temporary events in gacha games. The thing is, instead of confusing the masses more than what they are, and with the intention of turning Hitman into a Software as a Service kinda deal, the whole reboot trilogy is now one thing, with 1, 2 and 3 as DLCs. Hitman 3 needed its own flux diagramto guess which version had what content, so yeah

Does that mean that if I buy World of Assassinations, I can play all 3 games in Hitman 3 engine?

I am not sure if you can do that. When that shit was announced nobody understood it either.

Hey now, HoMMV is okay.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hey now, HoMMV is okay.
So okay they had to pay you* to pick it up. ;)

* In spirit at least.

Disclaimer: I don't have the PHD required to understand IO's sales system.

But I think you can play 1-3 in World of Assassination base game but you need the 'season pass' for the extra campaign missions at the end of each game.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe reading the portends out of the entrails of goats and chickens would deliver better information at this point since IO clearly doesn't know what the fuck is going on.

Take a look at this baby
xjkozpik4pb61.png

edit: holy shit. it seems it's only for Hitman 3's convoluted release. I remember them getting shit for it. Maybe that's why they turned into a SaaS thing in the end.

Last edited:
I can just imagine the smug marketing retard at IO Interactive, a few years back, sitting there in their office, thinking about how IO has been releasing simple "games": Codename 47, Silent Assassin, Contracts, Blood Money, even the forgettable Absolution.

"... But wait guys... what if we ... turn the releases into a a fucking flow chart..."

And IO is actually a good studio, who mostly releases good games, gameplay-wise. There truly is no hope.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Take a look at this baby
xjkozpik4pb61.png

edit: holy shit. it seems it's only for Hitman 3's convoluted release. I remember them getting shit for it. Maybe that's why they turned into a SaaS thing in the end.
The person that made that flowchart has too much free time in their hands and should immediately be put in a labor camp.

xuerebx

Erudite
If a game is on sale (during this spring sale I mean), say at 10% discount, is there a possibility that the discount increases in the coming days or once it's set it's fixed at that rate?

EDIT: the answer's a NOOOOOOO

Yes, I was serious :(

:notsureifserious:

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If a game is on sale (during this spring sale I mean), say at 10% discount, is there a possibility that the discount increases in the coming days or once it's set it's fixed at that rate?
The days of Actually Good Sales are long over. Prices stay fixed.

Caim

Arcane

Buy this and you will get:

- Hitman 3
- Freelance Mode
- Hitman 1 and 2 maps playable in Hitman 3
- Hitman 1 bonus missions, items and contracts

This contains all the basic stuff. Then there's three expansion packs, which can be purchased as one bundle. The bundle isn't discounted when you buy it in one go as of right now:

Includes:

- Two new maps, one of which is one of the best in the trilogy
- Two new maps for the Sniper Assassin mode (which is more of a minigame than a full-on game mode)
- Four bonus assignments
- Several bonus items

Includes:

- Six bonus escalations for the Hitman 3 maps
- Bonus items
- Stuff like art books, soundtracks and developer commentary

Includes:

- Seven escalations that give you new suits and weapons, the suits ranging from cool to gaudy and the weapons from hot garbage to new and effective tools

Then there's also two cheap packs of cheap and ugly weapons that are paired with furniture for Freelance mode. Most of them are junk, but one has a pretty decent sniper rifle.

TL;DR VERSION:

- Hitman World of Assassination (found in Steam as Hitman 3) has all the basic stuff from Hitman 1, 2 and 3. Buy this if you want to play all the maps in the same game
- The World of Assassination Deluxe Pack has a ton of extra stuff of varying quality, including two new maps
- The extra DLC for Hitman 3 doesn't look good, but it might be your taste

So start out with World of Assassination, and include the Hitman 2 access pass (see above) if you want to get the most out of Freelance mode. Upgade as you see fit.

I also STRONGLY advice you to play through the base game and give all maps at least a couple of tries to get familiar with them before diving into Freelance mode.

There you have it. Now where is my goddamn Nobel Prize for figuring this stuff out.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I had the intention of giving the new Hitman stuff a go for a while. But the distribution model is such a clusterfuck that I'd feel bad for giving them any money now. Oh well.

Caim

Arcane
I had the intention of giving the new Hitman stuff a go for a while. But the distribution model is such a clusterfuck that I'd feel bad for giving them any money now. Oh well.
Remember: the clusterfuck I described above is the easiest it's been so far. It was worse before Freelance mode came out, and even worse during Hitman 3's release back when the game was still an Epic exclusive. It's one of the best games surrounded by some of the worst bullshit.

Last edited:

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
Bought a handful of early Softdisk/Apogee games, and a couple of Half Life 1 expansion packs I never got around to playing.

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold

Blake Stone: Planet Strike
Crystal Caves

Secret Agent HD

ScubaVenture: The Search for Pirate's Treasure

Rescue Rover Collection

Slordax: The Unknown Enemy

Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Opposing Force

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom