Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sundew

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Cyberpunk adventure game with absolutely gorgeous graphics. Should be coming out soonish (summer 2021).

ss_e2d8def348d558137e433fcb69f91305c1bdc253.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c6b6210bb3330a3f72253e0e870708f540973e2f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_413915a39077122b31befe51df0567e71366c1bd.1920x1080.jpg

ss_af748b0adf710039dc1efc48e3b6db98bfd1fbc7.1920x1080.jpg

ss_cbb711147188435d459df17e274b7a5191f9a6c6.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f3caac91273e9a70ecbfaa2b2ab1c26d7483c53a.1920x1080.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
That thumbnail had me fooled at first, cause a game full of that wouldn't be so impressive. But no, that is very impressive. Has that look of a game that'll show up in best pixel art threads for years to come. Very few games pull that off.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got this and played a bit over an hour tonight. The art is beautiful, but the interesting thing is the weird Frenchness of the design. It plays a bit like Futurewars or a Muriel Tramis game or something. There's unclickable hotspots, and empty cabinets, and badly thought out puzzle triggers.. a mix of lots of detail in some spots and gaps in a story that hasn't really started yet, or bothered to involve the main character.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished it. Lovely art, but the story kinda feels really rushed and i couldn't find myself attached to any of the characters, except the MC. She's a decent MC, has some snark and kinda nice personality but every one else just passes by, their interactions only last one moment without time to to familiarize with them at all.

Compared to recent games i played like lacuna, there are attachment we feel for the characters, and both the recurring and one time characters feel fleshed out, in Sundew, they just feel like props to move the plot instead of actual characters. There is a weird feeling that the developer has established foundations of great cast, but after 1 interaction, they're all completely gone, never to appear again.

I also "get" the story, and there are some nice concepts and ideas, again it's not well elaborated. The actual story is nice, but it’s told rather poorly.

Is it worth playing? Yeah. It's fun and competent enough for a 1 woman project, and the asking price is pretty low. The atmosphere, style and visuals are top notch, the puzzles are standard, and the story has some great concept with lacking execution.

Strig

Learned
Damn, never heard of this. Presentation is great. It really hammers home that a strong clean style is just as valid as lush art. I mean apart from occasional dithering there's very little texture and detail on most elements in these screens and it still manages to get everything across. Definitely grabbing this.

Erebus

Arcane
The game is kind of disappointing, to be honest. It could have been really good... it just needed to be twice as long as it ended up being.

The first half is fairly enjoyable. The setting, the main character, the atmosphere, the story, they're all decent.

Then comes a plot twist (not that it's very hard to see it coming), and after that, almost everything feels extremely rushed. You get explanations and answers, but they're delivered in a very heavy-handed manner. Characters come and go without being properly developed. The final part of the game is unbelievably short.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom