Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Surge 2

You probably look like a fucking clown running around like that.
Do you often wear mouse-costumes to look "cool"?
I don't. I ran around the same way in Surge 1:positive:

I haven't gotten Surge 2 yet. But I plan on getting it soon.
Do it dude, it was just great. I'm in the opposite camp. Getting Surge 1 soon. Didn't play it back in the day. Wrote it off for no reason.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You probably look like a fucking clown running around like that.
Do you often wear mouse-costumes to look "cool"?
I don't. I ran around the same way in Surge 1:positive:

I haven't gotten Surge 2 yet. But I plan on getting it soon.
Do it dude, it was just great. I'm in the opposite camp. Getting Surge 1 soon. Didn't play it back in the day. Wrote it off for no reason.
Yeah I'll probably buy it next week or so. Have too much to play at the moment. But I'll definitely buy it soon

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Regardless of whether this is in the right forum or not, having played a lot more I have come the conclusion that GentlemanCthulhu is right and this is a fantastic game. I'm in Gideon's Rock now and the level design just keeps getting better and better. There's so much connectivity and exploration is interesting and rewarding. The combat has grown on me now I'm more used to it and the variety and usefulness of weapons is better than Surge 1. There's still a lot of redundancy in weapons and armour, but some mobs I struggled to defeat with my favoured twin-riggers I found a lot easier with a big 2 handed axe. The directional parry has its moments, you wouldn't use it on every mob but some of the big, slow ones it's pretty useful.

It's released at an unfortunate time as Code Vein seems to be getting all the sales and attention from fans of the souls-like genre, which is a big shame as this is quality. However it also makes a pretty bad first impression thanks to the slightly shit graphics in the first couple of zones. I'm really glad I stuck with it though, just hope it sells enough to keep Deck 13 working on it.

If Code Vein is too weeaboo for you but you like souls-like then do yourself a favour and get this.

It's released at an unfortunate time as Code Vein seems to be getting all the sales and attention from fans of the souls-like genre, which is a big shame as this is quality.
Not sure if Code Vein is doing what your say it is doing. If you look up reviews, it's almost unanimously in favor of the Surge 2 and Code Vein is being fisted tbh. Regardless, I am glad to see you enjoying the game as much as i did. It's just too good for words.

Wunderbar

Arcane

PrettyDeadman

It's released at an unfortunate time as Code Vein seems to be getting all the sales and attention from fans of the souls-like genre, which is a big shame as this is quality.
Not sure if Code Vein is doing what your say it is doing. If you look up reviews, it's almost unanimously in favor of the Surge 2 and Code Vein is being fisted tbh. Regardless, I am glad to see you enjoying the game as much as i did. It's just too good for words.
The steam reviews for Code Vein are more positive (and more numerous) than for Surge 2...

Arnust

Savant
The steam reviews for Code Vein are more positive (and more numerous) than for Surge 2...
Granted the performance problems are kind of tanking the latter's. Pretty hard to find a negative one that isn't about that.

In another note I lowkey switched to Punching Gloves as of some really good ones dropped by the middle point boss, they're fantastic. Mostly stuck to Staves and Spears thus far. Ah, and getting both hook upgrades is super empowering, most anyone should be looking forward to that.

Granted the performance problems are kind of tanking the latter's. Pretty hard to find a negative one that isn't about that.

In another note I lowkey switched to Punching Gloves as of some really good ones dropped by the middle point boss, they're fantastic. Mostly stuck to Staves and Spears thus far. Ah, and getting both hook upgrades is super empowering, most anyone should be looking forward to that.
Nothing beats the satisfaction of crushing your foe under the weight of a 700 pound two-handed hammer.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hm... I'm starting to itch for a Souls-type game. Nioh was pretty awesome. Skipped Sekiro, as it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

But there appear to be 2 new titles: this and Code Vein. Did some of you try both already? Which do you consider better? Which has more varied and interesting mechanics & character+gear progression?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Not sure if Code Vein is doing what your say it is doing. If you look up reviews
it's not about reviews, it's about sales.

The Surge 2 - 3679 players peak
Code Vein - 33804 players peak, almost ten times higher

Let's face it the main reason for Code Vein's success are the character editor and Waifus.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Code Vein has too much faggotry in it. Selling point of Dark Souls for us westerntards was that it looked like more of a "western" game than some western games in recent memory (Diablo III cough cough). Animu shit is a deal breaker for me.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hm... I'm starting to itch for a Souls-type game. Nioh was pretty awesome. Skipped Sekiro, as it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

But there appear to be 2 new titles: this and Code Vein. Did some of you try both already? Which do you consider better? Which has more varied and interesting mechanics & character+gear progression?
I've finished both Surge games, and I'd recommend them solely for their superb level design. Each area in the Surge games is designed around one guiding principle -- a single save point around which a labyrinthine multi-hour level is designed, making clever use of shortcuts and verticality. If you enjoyed the single-bonfire Cathedral of the Deep from Dark Souls 3, you owe it to yourself to give the games a try. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say the Surge games have the best level design on average out of all the Souls and Souls-inspired games owing to their single save point design. The final level in Surge 1 is particularly crazy in how complex it is, and I've seen no other level in this genre approach its complexity, its sequel included.

That said, I wouldn't recommend the games solely for their combat mechanics and build variety. Combat mechanics are competent, but the build variety has never been particularly varied across both games.

Removal

Scholar
Yeah, the rocky release didn't help them much in this regard, with people not even able to launch the game or getting crashes constantly. Seems a bunch of it was related to Vulkan

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, regarding the fact Lords of the Fallen seems to be more popular than The Surge, it's probably because it has a medieval setting. Normies look at The Surge and their brains likely short-circuit because it's Souls-like but not fantasy, which probably doesn't compute in their heads.

Never got far with either of these games, but i did buy both Lords of the Fallen and The Surge when i found them cheap just to shelf them for later use. Lords of the Fallen seemed like a good Souls clone when i tried it, but compared to Dark Souls i didn't appreciate the devs trying to give me an actual "story". I don't know why they have to always do this and won't allow the setting and atmosphere just speak for itself. Dark Souls was immersive precisely because there was no in your face narration, you could literally just pretend the story wasn't there and you felt like your place in the world didn't matter. Lot's of 90s games were like that too, probably owning more to technical and budget limitations but still.

Last edited:

Tancred

Learned
Yeah, the rocky release didn't help them much in this regard, with people not even able to launch the game or getting crashes constantly. Seems a bunch of it was related to Vulkan

I can't play it because of Vulkan. Seems if you have an AMD card and run Win 8, you can't get the required Vulkan drivers because AMD won't support Win 8 anymore apparently? Oh well.

Codex Year of the Donut

I can't play it because of Vulkan. Seems if you have an AMD card and run Win 8, you can't get the required Vulkan drivers because AMD won't support Win 8 anymore apparently? Oh well.
AMD dropped support for Win8, install the Win7 driver(still maintained) and it will work.

Tancred

Learned

AMD dropped support for Win8, install the Win7 driver(still maintained) and it will work.

Thanks, this worked.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Gave this one a spin yesterday and I must say I'm positively surprised. Here are my bullet point first impressions of the game:

• Combat (which is the game's main selling point) has been improved about 200%. Directional parry is fun :incline: and poise bars help you make informed decisions instead of guessing on whether or not your enemy will stagger with your next blow
  • New drone is far more useful and interesting. I pretty much ignored the drone in the first game, but now it actually DOES things and you can easily combo drone moves with your own attacks to make combos on the fly
  • Cross up combos are now easier to understand and use. Another fun thing is that your moveset changes depending on which body part you're currently aiming at, so there is a TON of moves for you to learn before claiming you mastered X weapon
  • I enjoyed the introduction of the game's main thing (exo rigs) this time around even more. Granted, Surge 1 having your guy on a wheelchair and then becoming an armored badass was a nice unique touch, but sadly Warren's only claim to fame is being a wheelchair bound protagonist and nothing more. This time the game won't tell or show you about the rigs. Instead it puts you up against a prisoner with a basic rig while you have none and then you fight the warden with mid-tier rig while you're just scrapping by. In both scenarios you feel severely underpowerd, driving home the point that rigs are very, VERY, good in this setting.
  • Both enemies and the player will now (FINALLY) use GUNS, so things make a lot more sense now.
  • Game feels a bit more "alive" this time around. Some of you might think it's :decline:, but most people will enjoy having more NPCs that aren't nutjobs talking to you. Remember the guard lady from Surge 1? Yeah, that won't be missed.
  • One thing I disliked: game will now tell you which "mark" level gear an opponent is using. Makes the hunt for crafting materials easier/less tedious, but it's one of those "handholding" things I tend to dislike in general.
  • Speaking of handholding, the game still refrains from telling you where to go, which is awesome. No quest markers, no fast travel, nothing. I thought I would get lost, but the truth is that there are plenty of recognizable landmarks for you to navigate the setting without much hassle. And the level design remains STELLAR, perhaps even better than the first game.
So, yeah boyos. Surge 2 is bretty gud so far. Ranks better than Dark Souls 3 and Suckiro as far as "Souls-like" goes. Maybe I would even rather higher than Nioh, if the late game is good. Nioh's main issue was pacing and late game content being grindy garbage.

Cat Dude

Savant
A great game but overlooked as well. It is apparently weaboo crap like Code Vein has a place for a lot of normal gamers.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh and I forgot to add one important thing: character creation was a HUGE step on the right direction. Warren was such a bland character that he might as well have been a player generated character. The first game's usage of Warren only meant the opportunity of implementing character generation was wasted, since the plot wasn't about Warren at all and everything he did could've been done by literally anyone else. So, yeah, chargen is big :incline:, even tho your guy is fully covered in armor 95% of the time, thus what he/she looks like is mostly irrelevant. It's like the first game just looked at those BUCKS on the table from players who prefer chargen and said "nah, let's just not do that because we hate money".

It is apparently weaboo crap like Code Vein has a place for a lot of normal gamers.

Code Vein has been hyped for several years and is published by BamCo. It also features much more recognizable character design and appeals to an already established fanbase of weaboos. As much as I agree with the guy who said Dark Souls was great precisely BECAUSE it was made to look as "Western" as possible, meaning animu-shit is actually CONTRARY to the "Souls Formula", the said reality is that Animu Community >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Soulsborne community when it comes to numbers. And it's simply not true that every souls fan is anti-anime, just look at Nioh's success.

OH and Code Vein has Jolly Cooperation, which makes even Boredlands better.

What matters is that the general reception of the game is much warmer this time around and I sincerely believe it has much better fundamentals than its predecessor, which means longer legs in terms of DLCs and sales. That and the fact that the game is reusing a LOT of assets, which probably means the development cost wasn't very high. So even if this game was a "hail Mary" pass from Deck 13, it looks like they'll manage to avoid going under.

Calling it now: game will get by on word of mouth and end up selling much more than its predecessor, despite having a lower peak player count.

Arnust

Savant
One thing I disliked: game will now tell you which "mark" level gear an opponent is using. Makes the hunt for crafting materials easier/less tedious, but it's one of those "handholding" things I tend to dislike in general.
...oh. That's what the number means. Hour 30, gentlemen.
New drone is far more useful and interesting. I pretty much ignored the drone in the first game, but now it actually DOES things and you can easily combo drone moves with your own attacks to make combos on the fly
I am 50/50 on this. Some drones in 1 like the Concussive Drone (rag dolls almost every enemy by ramming them off their feet or does a big stun otherwise) or the DLC's Flare Drone (Just generally completely fucks them up) felt more viable even among a sea of piss, while I've felt pretty lukewarm on them here. Don't take me wrong, the ammo system is better than any "real" Souls' equivalent in how dynamic it is, but in one hand you have all the bullet weapons that do basically the same DPS at different intervals, the Gatling gun drone is either false advertising or is super hard to find, and the projectile weapons are kind of horrible to be precise with; I shoot PAST people like 50% of the time. And it's fine with the EMP drone that'll just reload itself but Grenades/Molotovs ain't shit and once the Drone merchant just vanished I can't even buy them anyway. Oh and continuous fire drones also exist I guess, pity I don't have a 6th finger to keep the button pressed while doing other actions...

The economy/build is also kinda weird really. Wearing a Ronin/Jaguar/Wraith/Gaia set for a little while will top you off to 999 but other than the latter they don't offer other bonuses other than ammo generation and higher cap (Okay Gaia does but guess what it's for continuous weapons only). Feels like they should've hybridized a bit and let you generate ammo off energy, or have some drones consume energy, or some more cool down based one... Basically, I like them but I kinda straight up stopped using them past what must be the midgame, as they also commit the capital sin of not scaling.

Remember the guard lady from Surge 1? Yeah, that won't be missed.
Hey, what's wrong with her? Don't remember a problem with that one, especially considering how it shines a fair lot of light on the titular Surge's real extent and effects and thus foreshadowing for the endgame. Also kind of the only "real" quest in the game that they clearly felt fit to expand on for 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom