Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Talos Principle

Ivan

Arcane
there were only 2 puzzles that I disliked simply bc I didn't know you could do what was required:

picking things up from below you
and the one with the mine jammer and 2 boxes.

I loved TP, I regret not buying the DLC during the Winter Sale

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
For me it was the one where you had to touch the tip of a beam by expanding your hitbox while grabbing a cube. The rest took variable time but the understanding of the puzzle was clear.

I'm not convinced by I guess nothing better's coming up soon.

Beowulf

Arcane
In my recent attempt at clearing backlog from bundlefodder and rush wishlisted titles discount purchases, I finally installed and finished it. According to steam it took me about 16h (including some alt-tabing to consult a guide or get a beer).
The first 8h were really great, then the game started to get boring, both in the story department, and in the puzzle design.

I stopped caring about gathering stars around the end of World B, and my enjoyment immediately rose to the levels that allowed me to pick the game up again and finish it. The game picks up in quality again in the later levels of C World, and the most thought out and fun puzzles were saved for the Tower level.
Trying to get all the stars indeed feels grindy, and I had to consult a guide a couple of times to get all stars form a given level. In later levels to get the stars you have to set up things in certain puzzles in a way, that will help you open star containing areas in other puzzles.
Without consulting a guide beforehand, on which puzzles to take on first, you will do a lot of backtracking, which sucked my enjoyment of the game for some time.

The story is rather simple, overall predictable, sometimes dialogues are too forced (especially the dialectical method that one AI character tries to use) and philosophical parts come off as pretentious. As has been already stated here, or in the reviews - if you read anything philosophy related, or read 1 or 2 good s-f books about alternate realities and AI, the ideas in the game won't be fresh or appealing.
But there are some genuinely funny tidbits, and the writing itself is pretty good and presented in a concise manner. I think I've read most of the texts, and I found that feeding the information about what caused the human demise to the player, piece by piece, is actually done in a non boring manner. Given all that, one can finish the game without reading anything, if he wants to just enjoy the puzzles.

As I said, puzzles got repetitive for me somewhere around the later half of the second world, but picked up again in the second half of the third world.
The player has to keep in mind, that the puzzles itself are logic-, not physics-based. That means, that there are some predefined states for the objects, e.g. - one fan will lift a box 1m high, but another will lift it 10m high, and you can't change that by, for example, standing on it (but sometimes it's required to stack more objects to change the hover hight). The game guides you on early mechanics, and it shows you restrictions of what you can do (e.g. you cannot put object one on another while jumping high, you have to climb somewhere (on the level lower then your jump hight) to do that), only to ask you to do something you thought you couldn't do, later in the game (like the aforementioned grabbing an object below you).

Overall a decent puzzler with some nice visuals and soundtrack, worth purchase with a discount. I think I will pick up the DLC expansion some time later, as I'm too burnt to do puzzles with the same mechanics again.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah the stars are bullshit and don't really add anything.

And add some spoiler tags, jeez.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I also finished it just a few weeks ago and never really thought the puzzles got repetitive. I had fun all the way through.
Some of the stars pissed me off though. Mostly the ones that were basically pixelhunts, like the one in A-1 and such. Think I managed to get roughly half of them without resorting to walkthroughs.

I really like the Gehenna expansion too. The puzzles went the extra mile and the story has more humour. It's about some AIs locked in cages and all they can access is a message board where number of brofists dictate status and whether you get shadowbanned or made a mod. Sound familiar?

The easter eggs were great in both the original and expansion too, at least the ones I found. I especially liked the text adventure in Gehenna where Serious Sam has conversations with the Milton Library Assistant and that one time in the original referencing the headless suicide bombers from Serious Sam. Wheatley one was good too.

edit: In fact, I'm going to go find an easter egg guide and fire the game up again.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Should I feel like an asshole for accepting the basic ending? I didn't even do that whole optional section with the er tall structure.

v1rus

Arcane
So, what happens when you beat the game? I mean, can i beat the game regularly, then come back, collect (walkthrough) all those fucking stars, and see the true one?

At the end of Sector A, luving it, but stars look like such a huge pain in the ass.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, what happens when you beat the game? I mean, can i beat the game regularly, then come back, collect (walkthrough) all those fucking stars, and see the true one?
At the end of Sector A, luving it, but stars look like such a huge pain in the ass.
The "non-100%" endings are perfectly good endings. I don't see the point in walkthroughing the stars. The fun is in figuring them out.

v1rus

Arcane
The "non-100%" endings are perfectly good endings. I don't see the point in walkthroughing the stars. The fun is in figuring them out.

I can do so after i beat the game without starts tho, right?

Zombra

Patron
I don't think so; once you end the game, it's over. Then you can start over if you want to try for a completionist run.

racofer

Thread Incliner

You can load the save right before the ending and then head to collect the stars and see the other endings.

v1rus

Arcane
Once you get the hang of it, stars are way easier to find than I thought. No walkthrough it is. Hell, I'm regretting using it for two out of 8 i found. :(

v1rus

Arcane
Interesting. There seem to be multiple ways of obtaining stars. Or at least, some of them.

Take B5 star - the one in the middle of the hub, atop an obelisk, with a fan powered by a blue plug below it.

I did some ultra over-complicated shit with one of those machines that record your movement, which allowed me to bring both a light redirector and a fan out of the puzzle zone. Curious, I decided to see a youtube walk through - the guy did a completely opposite thing, the only thing we shared was a blue light source.

I wonder if this is intended.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Well, most of them. The one "hardest" one seems like it would be a real pain in the ass to do it on your own.

By the way, v1rus, there's a good hint guide online, not just a walkthrough, if you find out you do need help.

v1rus

Arcane
Well, most of them. The one "hardest" one seems like it would be a real pain in the ass to do it on your own.

By the way, v1rus, there's a good hint guide online, not just a walkthrough, if you find out you do need help.

Oh, awesome! Could you leave it here, pls?

So far so good, but, you never know when you might burn out.

Ivan

Arcane
getting my ass handed to me on the DLC, maybe I started with one of the harder levels, but boy is it great to be back. Gotta love these eureka moments:
14EF41A24B3AD8378F374911DE2BA00B9FC7EB82

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom