Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Talos Principle

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I loved TP, also the setting. The first levels (ancient Roman ruins) nailed perfectly the place where I live, vegetation, lights, and the ruins themselves. (the devs used photogrammetry to scan them from the real ones that are here)

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Why do you live in ruins?

Yes, ruins everywhere

307OstiaAntica.jpg

My play-room...

Also - found any dead scientist's diaries on a conveniently located computer terminals?
No, but I found a lot of laser beams.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Finished this today. Solved everything as far as I can tell, got all the gold stars, never used a guide. Only thing I looked up was
whether or not you could continue playing the game after achieving one of the endings.
Really liked it. I thought the story was quite mature for a video game. And I loved hunting for all the secrets, seemed like the level designers had a blast designing everything.
I think I may have gotten some of the gold stars in ways that would be considered exploits, but then again considering how much "breaking the game" is a theme maybe I was doing it the intended way.
I'm gonna pick up the DLC during this steam sale.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Finished this today. Solved everything as far as I can tell, got all the gold stars, never used a guide. Only thing I looked up was
whether or not you could continue playing the game after achieving one of the endings.
Really liked it. I thought the story was quite mature for a video game. And I loved hunting for all the secrets, seemed like the level designers had a blast designing everything.
I think I may have gotten some of the gold stars in ways that would be considered exploits, but then again considering how much "breaking the game" is a theme maybe I was doing it the intended way.
I'm gonna pick up the DLC during this steam sale.
The dlc isn't as cool as the base game, but it is still good.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've just started playing it. So far it's alright, but can't say I have a blast playing it. Puzzles are so far easy except a few hard ones because the game doesn't allow a lot of stuff and you have to find out that NO YOU CAN'T PUT STUFF THROUGH AN OPENING TWICE THE SIZE OF THE ITEM or other silly things, which greatly lower the fun, even though it feels nice solving some puzzles. It seems like it's gonna be a mediocre puzzle game with nice graphics and music. Feels inferior to Portal and especially Antichamber. Maybe it will get better, if not I might drop it.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
> Puzzles are so far easy

It gets much harder, and some of the easter eggs are walkthrough-worthy.

Spukrian

Savant
I just finished it, well, actually I just finished the DLC, I finished the base game a couple of months ago. It took a while but did have to take some breaks from the game to clear my head and then return, trying to look at puzzles from a different perspective. I did look up help a few times.

Great game. I'd say it's mostly less difficult than The Witness, but sometimes when I was stuck it felt like it was longer than when I got stuck in The Witness. But Talos Principle requires a different approach, of course.

I really liked the story. That is to say, the story made me think dark thoughts and generally feel terrible. Sort of what like SOMA tried to do but succeeding better at it. Some of the story was written by Jonas Kyratzes, who has made some adventure games I haven't played. Other parts were written by Tom Jubert, who wrote the Penumbra Trilogy, which I really like. Jubert also wrote some other games that I haven't played (FTL, The Swapper, the first Subnautica, etc...)

I believe I read somewhere that Croteam is working on Talos Principle 2, looking forward to that.

Bumped!

Is it advisable to play this game for the first time, with the serious DLC?

Never played this game and i want to, but will i miss much of the story if i play this way, replacing the voice of Elhoim with Sam Stone?.

Because i heard some of the dialogs from the serious dlc on Youtbe, and there are all jokes and pranks to the player, which are hilarious and i loved it, as anyone who knows the character would expect.

But considering that the story an the philosophical themes are te core experience of this game, maybe it's not recommended for a first playthrough.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
But considering that the story an the philosophical themes are te core experience of this game, maybe it's not recommended for a first playthrough.
I liked the philosophical theming. But it's also a puzzle game, so "replays" don't make a lot of sense.

3 others

Scholar
The Road to Gehenna DLC was surprisingly replayable after a 5 year break. Most of the solutions had slipped from my mind like tears in the rain, but the puzzles were very distinct and memorable. My brain is ready for Talos 2.

The DLC is truly the pinnacle of Talos Principle. The designers had come fully to grips with their toolset, the aesthetics are on point, and the puzzle quality is very high throughout the game, culminating in the final batch of admin puzzles created (almost) solely with connectors. My favorite one is Small Space Big Solution that I solved with one elaborately placed additional connector in an adjacent puzzle room instead of the oh-so-elegant intended solution.

The star challenges are hit-and-miss. The outside the box types where you have to use re-use tools in a clever way, or utilize elements from outside the puzzle room are very satisfying to crack "OK so I have a red receiver... how is it possible to get a red beam to this spot?". The other half of stars - the platforming challenges - are mostly just a pain in the ass. Some surfaces are climbable, some are not, and the distinction seems totally arbitrary in some places.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom