Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Tangut Prophecy: FOnline RPG, Historical Fiction, 12th Century China

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Dongxiangdian.jpg

Description:
"The Tangut Prophecy" is a stand alone RPG game based on the FOnline Engine. It is a historical fiction RPG game set in medieval 12th Century China.

Features:
*Historical Fiction set in XII Century China.
*A Single Player Campaign that focuses on cRPG mechanics.
*A plot with mysteries, secrets, conspiracies, political intrigues, and twists.
*Non-incidental interconnecting side quests.
*Multiple quest branches and resolutions with lasting consequences.
*Multiple dialogue options with different reactions.
*Multiple endings to you, your companions, NPCs and the game world.
*4 playable races with 4 corresponding language skills.
*Unique character builds.
*Detailed NPCs and companions.
*Radiant game world that accurately portrays the included medieval East and Central Asian tribes.
*Turn based combat.
*Small scale battles with mounts and controllable troops.
*A wide range of medieval arsenal and equipment.
*Limited currency and items with real monetary value.
*Travel to the world's extremes: From scorching deserts, to shivering glaciers...
*Non-tiled prerendered map locations and graphics.
*Fully detailed and animated character sprites.

Screenshots:
Media gallery- http://postimage.org/gallery/aqa303u/

Links:
MODDB Page- http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-tangut-prophecy

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Whoah, this looks bloody awesome! If you ever need some help from some fellow FOnline guy, just drop me a message!

mondblut

Arcane
I never understand why most developers insist on using very uninspired generic fantasy(or badly written space fantasy in some cases) settings for their games, when history offers so much more.

That's easy - history in fact doesn't offer shit beyond boring humans enslaved by boring laws of physics, who can't do shit beyond what you and I can already do IRL. A recipe for boredom.

Magic and monsters increase the degrees of freedom hundredfold. They mean anything can be there, and do whatever the developer wishes.

no monsters(Mutants aren't exactly magical creatures like say, orcs.

Ok, orcs are mutants too, created by a famous genetic engineer of yore. There, does it make you come to terms with fantasy now?

In my game, I am doing away monsters completely), no gods and no demons. In The Tangut Prophecy, everything and anything fantasy is gone for good.

No offense, but I predict it will cease being fun by about 5th encounter.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I never understand why most developers insist on using very uninspired generic fantasy(or badly written space fantasy in some cases) settings for their games, when history offers so much more.
That's easy - history in fact doesn't offer shit beyond boring humans enslaved by boring laws of physics, who can't do shit beyond what you and I can already do IRL. A recipe for boredom.

Magic and monsters increase the degrees of freedom hundredfold. They mean anything can be there, and do whatever the developer wishes.
Nonsense, there are tons of interesting setting and stories to be told, if only developers (and especially players) could get over their massive prejudice on anything beyond their confort zone... think of the colonization of Africa, the purge of natives in south america, the spanish inquisition, colonial Brazil... every country has one or two historical eras that could surely provide a great setting for a game, but we keep getting stuck back to the same retarded cliches over and over again...

mondblut

Arcane
Nonsense, there are tons of interesting setting and stories to be told, if only developers (and especially players) could get over their massive prejudice on anything beyond their confort zone... think of the colonization of Africa, the purge of natives in south america, the spanish inquisition, colonial Brazil... every country has one or two historical eras that could surely provide a great setting for a game, but we keep getting stuck back to the same retarded cliches over and over again...

From Africa to colonial Brazil, you pummel identical twolegged enemies with an identical piece of iron, rinse and repeat, for a hundred hours. In turn-based combat to boot. Click on enemy, click on end turn, click on enemy, click on end turn, click on enemy, click on end turn, click on enemy, click on end turn - that's so much better than "retarded cliches", riiiight?

I'll rather cast fireballs at dragons, thank you very much.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
No offense, but I predict it will cease being fun by about 5th encounter.
If the encounters are designed to be boring that is. Baldur's Gate has loads of monsters in it, but it is often regarded here in the Codex as the most boring game ever. So there, having monsters in the game has nothing to do with designing and executing an encounter. All those monsters were wasted because the developers couldn't design good battles. And if not having monsters offends you, tough shit.

From Africa to colonial Brazil, you pummel identical twolegged enemies with an identical piece of iron, rinse and repeat, for a hundred hours. In turn-based combat to boot. Click on enemy, click on end turn, click on enemy, click on end turn, click on enemy, click on end turn, click on enemy, click on end turn - that's so much better than "retarded cliches", riiiight?

I'll rather cast fireballs at dragons, thank you very much.
As opposed to casting fireballs at dragons over and over again? Are you saying when you cast fireballs, you don't have to click on the enemy to cast it, then click to end turn, then repeat? The fuck, what planet are you from? Again, your problem isn't really with the lack of monsters, it's the encounter design. If the battle with dragons only requires you to cast fireballs repeatedly to win, you get the exact same battle had you swap the dragons with rats, and fireballs with swords.

Lexx

Cipher
Screens are looking pretty good. Also: FOnline SDK game. Nice! :)

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
Looks good, but there should be some Tibetan presence in that period.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Your art looks amazing, and the music was nice (though it was a bit intense, I hope gameplay music will be more ambient).

The setting and design ideas sound great too. If your game writing matches the rest of this presentation, the game should be awesome.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I can't think of any asian-setting game I've enjoyed, besides Shen-Mue but that's almost not a game. Therefor, I hope this turns out awesome. It's looking promising.
Are the screenshots staged, or are they taken from actual in-game events?

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Are the screenshots staged, or are they taken from actual in-game events?
You mean the one where the PC is surrounded by Mongol archers? No, it's an ingame event. The only staged screenshot I posted is the third one where two guys are fighting each other.

Saduj

Arcane
The screenshots look great. And the setting and philosophy you've chosen are very interesting. Also, since you aren't selling the game, you have the complete freedom to tell anyone who is upset that you aren't making the 10,001st high fantasy CRPG to go blow a unicorn donkey. :obviously:

Best of luck to you in finishing the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom