Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Troop - Tactical Turn Based Platoon Level WW2 game

Looks Possibly pretty incline...supposedly 2021 release date..

Here is short Alpha game play trailer

Here is an hour long game-play example which I have not watched yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Had this on my wishlist for a while. It looks pretty good, a smaller scale WWII TBS with moderate level of complexity like this is missing on the market right now.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
Does it even have penetration mechanics? Small scale tanks without pen is retarded.

Glory to Ukraine
In the videos you can see that the vehicles have individual crew members which can be killed by penetrating hits (while the vehicle itself can still operate in some cases) and the direction of impact plays a role (at one point there is a text saying "Hit Front"), so armour values for each side of a vehicle is definitely a thing as well. On the Steam page the devs say in the description text that the game is based on tabletop war games, so I am confident that penetration mechanics is going to be a thing.

Anyway, I signed up for beta testing and the game is downloading now, so I will post first hand impressions later today.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
I meant more detailed pen, like in Combat Mission, Graviteam games, Wot...

This doesnt tickle my berries... I can dick around in Steel Panthers if I want to...
sBEpxn7.png

Glory to Ukraine
Alright gentlemen, I spent two hours playing the beta (which includes six missions) and I am ready to share my findings.

As you can see from the videos above, this is a small scale TBS in WWII setting, more precisely it depicts British & Canadian troops fighting in Normandy during the Operation Overlord.

Overview:

- You control following unit types

1) Infantry: usually 3-4 men teams with various loadouts consisting of rifles, rifles + SMGs, rifles + LMG, rifles + AT weapon (PIAT, Panzerschreck), most infantry have also grenades and some have smoke grenades

2) AT guns: immobile once deployed, can be packed up and moved (slowly)

3) Vehicles: this includes tanks (Tetrarch, Stuart, Sherman, Pz. III and IV), tank destroyers (StuG, Archer), transporters (Bren Carrier, Sd.Kfz. 251, which comes bot in straight APC variant as well as a gun platform variant)

- The mission objectives are a standard fair (take and or defend certain points on the map, defeat the enemy etc)

- Important trait of the game is the moral system though, which is generally more important than the mission objectives

1) Both sides have a pool of morale points, which are removed as each side suffers loses (units cost a different amount of points depending on their worth, ie a tank costs several points, infantry units cost 1-2)

2) If one of the sides loses all morale points, it automatically loses the fight, this has considerable impact on gameplay and AI behaviour

Gameplay:

- Combat is immensely lethal, infantry units are very often wiped out in a single attack from another infantry unit or a vehicle, MGs and explosions can also sometimes suppress survivors (ie they miss the next turn)

- There is no overwatch, however the more a unit (both infantry and vehicles) moves in its turn, the bigger the accuracy penalty it gets, so moving recklessly is generally a suicide (especially for the infantry), when advancing, it is generally good to move slowly (so you can fire accurately if you spot enemy) and use smoke if you need to rush through enemy LoS)

- Infantry can occupy buildings (extra cover from small arms, but a death trap if enemy throws grenades or fires HE shells at you) and ride on top of pretty much any vehicles (ie even tanks can act like transports)

- Open topped vehicles can be killed by infantry grenades, otherwise they seem immune to all non-AT weapons

- Vehicles have fairly complex control scheme

1) You can control hull and turret separately, same goes for weapons (ie. hull/pintle MGs can be fired on different targets from the main gun/coax)

2) Crews can open hatches for better FoV (I guess they can then be shot, though I haven’t seen that happening – might not be implemented yet) and carry out repairs/replace killed crew members

3) All vehicles have armour values for each side, penetrating hits can both kill individual crew members and damage subsystems (engines, tracks etc), crew can also get stunned in some cases (the same thing as pinning for inf), critical hits can sometime blow up tanks in one hit (lighter vehicles like half-tracks usually get knocked out with single penetration), but normally a tank can take several penetrations

4) Crew can bail out on your orders (this is extremely important, since if you bail out before tank gets destroyed, you don’t suffer full loss of morale points, see bellow), AI crews bail out quite often when their vehicles get damaged, crews than act as infantry

5) Ammo types are selected automatically depending on target (ie AP for vehicles, HE + coax for inf)

- Tanks and StuGs have fairly strong front armour, so you get the classic rushes to get on their sides (obviously works really well against StuGs, since they have to pivot their hull all the time and that fucks their accuracy), fast moving vehicles also get bonus to evasion of enemy fire

- There is some visible damage on vehicles, especially Pz IVs and StuGs tend to lose their side skirts after getting hit from the side

- AT guns seem to work quite weird as targets (shots seem to target the gun itself rather than the crew) so they are IMO tougher than they should be

- Overall, since the suffering loses if both very easy and dangerous, it encourages conservative gameplay from both sides

- There is also a simple stealth system, units in cover remain invisble to the enemy until their either fire, or the enemy comes too close - this is usefull for setting up ambushes durring the defence missions (ie you have incentive to let the enemy close in as much as possible before opening fire)

AI:

- AI seems well adapted to the morale point system and focusses on force protection quite a bit, even when on the offensive the units don’t just rush you blindly and even retreat instead of firing, if their position doesn’t seem good enough, crews bail out of damaged vehicles instead of firing to the end, all in the effort to protect the morale

- AI units (especially vehicles) are fairly good in using cover and avoiding LoS of your heavy weapons. I was quite impressed when a damaged Pz IV actively moved behind another wrecked tank and then adjusted its position slightly when I tried to get a shot at it with my own tank, in the end I had to bring another tank from the other side to get it.

- AI can also use smoke grenades (though not many units seem to have them)

- I have seen enemy MG squads firing at Bren carriers which had no effect, buttoning was a legit tactic of course, so hopefully some effects will be implemented later, otherwise this seems as a mistake

There seem to be several tiers of enemy troops as well, there are Osttruppen (ie shitty mooks), regular Wehrmacht and I guess that SS will be a thing too in the full game. Brits have paratroopers and regular inf (paras have smoke grenades and are immune to pinning) in the beta, again I guess that some more stuff might be introduced in the full game.

All in all, this is incline and I will definitely get this on release. It is not a super realistic strategy game/simulation-type thingy, however it does play like a fairly complex board game, the AI is not brain dead and I had plenty of fun.

Personally I would like to see some core unit management with RPG elements in-between the mission, though even without such features this looks pretty good.

Last edited:
bleh, even that roguelike with tanks in france is better.
gfx over core mechanices is the endemic pathiec gemaplyel eelem of the shit garbage showvelware that gets on teh market nowayda, fuck it sidways
why do you believe this? there is no difference between a game 'rolling a dice' on a penetration table based on real life penetration results and a computer 'simulating' the same thing. Its exactly the same, not sure what you are so whiny about.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
gfx over core mechanices is the endemic pathiec gemaplyel eelem of the shit garbage showvelware that gets on teh market nowayda, fuck it sidways
why do you believe this? there is no difference between a game 'rolling a dice' on a penetration table based on real life penetration results and a computer 'simulating' the same thing. Its exactly the same, not sure what you are so whiny about.
i was genuinely so drunk, i dont remember writing this at all

i was genuinely so drunk, i dont remember writing this at all
lol..that is pretty funny

Glory to Ukraine
I for one would welcome a game that focuses on infantry action and combat psychology instead of treadhead wank.

Than you should look forward to Burden of Command, because thats exactly what that is supposed to be (devs even claimed they used Brains and Bullets as a basis for developing their AI behaviour, suppression rules etc). Whether or not it will ever see the light of the day is unfortunately an open question.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I for one would welcome a game that focuses on infantry action and combat psychology instead of treadhead wank.

Than you should look forward to Burden of Command, because thats exactly what that is supposed to be (devs even claimed they used Brains and Bullets as a basis for developing their AI behaviour, suppression rules etc). Whether or not it will ever see the light of the day is unfortunately an open question.

I've had a look at it and it's hard to tell if it wants to be a tactical game or a CYOA. I'd rather something that is less of an RPG and more of this

DIa7daw.jpg

at the platoon or company level.

gaylord, managing emotions is for wymbynz, men know no fear

Real men discuss penetration mechanics!

I've had a look at it and it's hard to tell if it wants to be a tactical game or a CYOA. I'd rather something that is less of an RPG and more of this

DIa7daw.jpg

at the platoon or company level.

gaylord, managing emotions is for wymbynz, men know no fear

Real men discuss penetration mechanics!

looks like a board war game I used to play called Tactical Combat Series where you had to write out your orders for your platoons on a map like that with phase lines, and meet up points etc.. and based on the commanders ability it would have a certain chance to be implemented each turn. Units not under a set of orders could only do limited operations, like basically defend their area or retreat if attacked maybe etc..

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

Exactly this. The genre is full of treadhead wank. We have an abundance of ridiculously autistic armor sims.

Infantry is largely treated as an afterthought if they are represented at all.

Glory to Ukraine
Just letting the people know that the playtest version on Steam got updated, there are two new scenarios (both p. good) and almost all scenarios are now playable for the Germans as well (SS were added as a new faction for one of the scenarios).

No word on the release yet, but this is shaping up to be one of the best TB games of the last few years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom