Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The two essential spells in Arcanum

Erebus

Arcane
The first time I played Arcanum, it didn't take me long to realize that you could solo the game with only two spells : Harm and Summon Ogre. Harm is cheap, never misses and deals a fair amount of damage. Summoned ogres are very powerful creatures ; two of them can win most fights by themselves, even late in the game.

However, you can certainly play the game and defeat your enemies without the help of those two spells.

After playing for a while, I realized that there was a spell I simply could not play the game without : Teleportation. It doesn't make the game at all easier, but saves the player from the tedious and time-wasting chore of travelling on the World Map. You need but two seconds to go from Tarant to Ashbury, Dernholm, Qintarra or Tulla, instead of long minutes (made even longer because of all the bears, giant spiders and wolves you'll have to fight). I'm pretty sure having Teleportation deduces at least one or two hours (if not more) from the time you need to complete the game.

It was only recently that I realized what the other essential spell was : Invisibility. Much like Teleportation spares you the time you would have wasted travelling on the World Map, Invisibility spares you the time you would have wasted fighting monsters in dungeons. And Arcanum's dungeons are pretty fucking horrible ! Most of them are the equivalent of a corridor, with the entrance at one end and your goal at the other. Between these two points are scores of monsters whose only purpose in life is to annoy you and a few chests offering cheap rewards. Aside from the godawful Pool of Radiance 2, I simply cannot think of a CRPG with worse dungeon designing than Arcanum.

So the two essential spells (and the two reasons I'll never try to play a technological character) in Arcanum are Teleportation and Invisibility. The fact that their use is mainly to spare you a lot of boredom says a lot about the highly flawed gem that is this game.

Destroid

Arcane
If I ever attempt another playthrough I will abuse the hell out of them. Combat in RPGs is rarely compelling.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
World map travel isn't that bad, IMO. If you have a character with high dexterity, the extra movement speed translates to the world map as well, so you can move really fast between points.

Erebus

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
The third or fourth time I beat the game I played a character with invisibility. Quickest run-through of my life.

I've just finished the game with Invisibility and my number of kills was around 250 (most of them killed before I could get the spell, of course). When I played without Invisibility, I'm fairly sure the number was above 600.

Being able to run through the Land Bridge, the Vendigroth Ruins and the Void Plains without having to fight even once is a priceless pleasure.

The Pickpocket skill works very well with Invisibility and is another efficient way of bypassing tedious things.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In my last playthrough I only used Heal and Harm. Never saw a reason to use anything else.

Reject_666_6 said:
World map travel isn't that bad, IMO. If you have a character with high dexterity, the extra movement speed translates to the world map as well, so you can move really fast between points.

Really? That's cool, though its not as if I needed more reason to get 20 dex immediately starting the game. Imbalanced stats ftw.

Relay

Educated
Combat in Arcanum isn't great but it certainly isn't tedious either with Harm because Harm is the official godmode, particularly if you play in real time and spam it until exhaustion so I would still consider it my primary spell. My second-best spell though would be the one that allows you to speak to the dead, there is nothing like feeling all so powerful manipulating the very fabric of life and torturing the souls of people who really shouldn't have crossed your path.

If only to fuck with the soul of that GODDAMN elf who didn't want to tell me where his people live the spell is well worth it. I always kill that fucker to make him spill it out in the most painful way.

Technological characters cannot torture the dead and that is why they suck buckets of cocks.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Erebus said:
So the two essential spells (and the two reasons I'll never try to play a technological character) in Arcanum are Teleportation and Invisibility. The fact that their use is mainly to spare you a lot of boredom says a lot about the highly flawed gem that is this game.

What the fuck are you talking about? Does anyone else see something highly wrong with this? I mean, you're probably right, but - jesus christ. The fact that there's something very boring that can be bypassed by gameplay choice is not what I call good design. I don't care if you want to call it proper C&C, I don't fucking want to spend my time doing boring shit. It shouldn't be in in the first place. What is this a mmorpg? There's just something wrong with you I think

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Serious_Business said:
Erebus said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Does anyone else see something highly wrong with this? I mean, you're probably right, but - jesus christ. The fact that there's something very boring that can be bypassed by gameplay choice is not what I call good design. I don't care if you want to call it proper C&C, I don't fucking want to spend my time doing boring shit. It shouldn't be in in the first place. What is this a mmorpg? There's just something wrong with you I think

I think you're reading something into his post that isn't there.

Erebus

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
Erebus said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Does anyone else see something highly wrong with this? I mean, you're probably right, but - jesus christ. The fact that there's something very boring that can be bypassed by gameplay choice is not what I call good design.

Did I somehow give the impression that I considered this to be good design ? What you describe is precisely my point. Either you deal with time-wasting and boring elements or you become a wizard and spend many character points in order to be able to bypass them. Hell, I've never even finished the game with a technological character !

Arcanum has some good stuff but also some huge flaws that make it much less enjoyable than it could have been.

bhlaab

Erudite
I never used teleport, but I did get pretty fucking sick of seeing the same three mochlean hand guys over and over again. The game didn't have much in the way of encounters.

reminds me of this

[arguing about Fallout 2's early game]

I usually steal the Elvis painting in Klamath to sell for a 9mm pistol right away. Then go kill some rats and or Geckos until you can get to about level 3 and a respectable small guns (100%+). Then I make a bee line for Vault City skipping the boring starter quests. Around there you just need to look for random encounters until you get a raiders vs caravan to get you the cash to buy armor/shotgun/SMG, anything you can't handle you just run away from abusing your superior action points (always take 10 agility).

see the thing is that the first part of fo2 is so boring that you have made up an action plan to get out of that shit as quickly as possible

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Elwro said:
And remember, guys, that playing technological guys may be imbalanced a bit, but is damn fun.
So very much this. My gunslinger was a right pain in combat until about the mid-game, but it was a ton of fun, and it eventually paid off.

laclongquan

Arcane
And to be frank, Techno is harder than Mental. And more fun. YOu fiddle around a bit, cart the materials everywhere with you, checking your waste bins very goddamn diligently. Once in a while you get a good blueprint for new weapon. Grenades? It's goddamn heavy that I usually dont bother.

What's about Magick? YOu buy the mana potions and spam Harm. Yawn.

Anyway, isnt Low Techno be able still to cast Teleportation?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can cast whatever spells you like when you're true neutral. They aren't as effective but that doesn't affect Teletransport

hal900x

Augur
My first techno playthrough is still languishing unfinished because of the incredibly unfun inventory management. I usually enjoy getting all tweaky with components, but for a full blown technology guy you need a fucking wagon train to hold all the crap necessary to actually make stuff. In retrospect, I don't think FULL techno is viable because of the weight of some components.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Playing as a pure techno was some really sweet experience. It was like playing exactly the way a D&D mage supposed to be - early on, you're almost useless in combat (your best early game pistol is weaker than a bow & arrow combo, just like early mages deal more damage with crossbows rather than MM). You need to carry tons of random stuff to support you (crafting material, grenades, ammo; just like a mage).

But when the game goes on, your stuff will become better and better. I remember at the end of the game I was unstoppable, I was using a pistol which fires as fast as a minigun which can obliterate everything in RT mode, and use other powerful mecha stuff to support.

On the other hand, magic in Arcanum is insanely dull compared to even games with really low magic setting. Sure there are a lot of schools, but most are completely worthless, and each school has only 5 spells, and in which only 1 is useful. It's so ironic that the spell system is so weaksauce while the game focus a lot on it.

Murk

Arcane
I always imagined the game was more or less intended to be played as a techno, its the most unique of the play throughs and the most fun, imo.

fond memories of rummaging through trash cans, fond fond memories

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom