Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ultimate Role-Playing Game!

vazquez595654

Arbiter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWnZOseA3Lw

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but this looks too good to be true, not to mention I don't believe anything this man says. The video must have been scripted to death, because I can't imagine any of it actually happening otherwise. Imagine telling the kid to jump in the water, or pushing him in, or cursing him out, or having the girl flash her boobs to him.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on how much of this video is actually possible.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where is the link to that pre-release Oblivion hype video when you need it?
The one where they showed off the aaaaaawesome Radiant AI with almost lifelike NPCs. We know how it turned out. And isn't that new thing made by Molyneux? We know what kind of hype-abuser he is, so... meh.

MisterStone

Arcane
Peter Molyneaux is a fucking liar. Just read the shit he said about B&W before it was released, about how super intelligent the AI is. Read what he said about Fable before it was released. You can't trust the man, he's a fucking bullshit hype tornado.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Yeah, I know. I just wonder how much can actually be done with the technology. Even if it's not to the extent of the video. I thought Project Natal was simply an over-hyped motion sensor, not some virtual interaction system.

Texas Red

Whiner
vazquez595654, did anything happen to that cute older teacher who was playful, as you said?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bet that AI isn't any smarter than a standard chatbot and only knows a few scripted things, not more.

Texas Red

Whiner
Mele ~ on Grayza said:
Molyneux is a genius but he lost his way since he went multiplatform.

[Intelligence/Wisdom/Insight] So he used to make good games?

Jim Cojones said:
Mele ~ on Grayza said:
Molyneux was a genius but has been killed and replaced with a double who found Lionhead.
Fixed.

[Insight] Something tells me you don't like Molyneux.

bhlaab

Erudite
I think I heard that the demonstration was entirely scripted and the ai only reacts to certain keywords and the tone of your voice

Peter

Arcane
Even if it weren't scripted and hyped up, who would fucking buy this?

Chefe

Erudite
Jessica Chobot also got her hands on Milo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji_1UQU--ig
A much better presentation.

Anyways, who exactly is the market for this? Pedophiles who don't like sex? Asylum patients? Peter Molyneux? If he really had that AI technology and this wasn't just a very well rehearsed cutscene, WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD HE USE IT IN THIS MANNER? It's like finding out how to cure cancer and then using the formula to fertilize your garden.

Plus the uncanny valley is really working in overdrive in that there world. Yeesh...

Secretninja

Cipher
bhlaab said:
I think I heard that the demonstration was entirely scripted and the ai only reacts to certain keywords and the tone of your voice
My dog does that. Maybe we will get a new dog game, but with bloom.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Chefe said:
If he really had that AI technology and this wasn't just a very well rehearsed cutscene, WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD HE USE IT IN THIS MANNER? It's like finding out how to cure cancer and then using the formula to fertilize your garden.

That was my feeling as well.

Chefe

Erudite
Jaesun said:
Chefe said:
If he really had that AI technology and this wasn't just a very well rehearsed cutscene, WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD HE USE IT IN THIS MANNER? It's like finding out how to cure cancer and then using the formula to fertilize your garden.

That was my feeling as well.

I seriously wish I would go to one of these things. I would stand up in the middle of the audience and shout, "If it's able to do all that, why did you just bring the software and the machine here instead of recording a video and give us a live performance?"

MetalCraze

Arcane
Who the fuck will want to talk with ugly virtual emotional polygonal characters anyway?

What does this have to do with RPGs
RPGs are all about acting like a lonely faggot by expecting characters on screen to show emotions for you, don't you know? It is also called C&C.

Murk

Arcane
Integration of this would make for a real bitching Bioware romance with an npc.

Now you actually have to HUG Aerie.

kris

Arcane
vazquez595654 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWnZOseA3Lw

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but this looks too good to be true, not to mention I don't believe anything this man says. The video must have been scripted to death, because I can't imagine any of it actually happening otherwise. Imagine telling the kid to jump in the water, or pushing him in, or cursing him out, or having the girl flash her boobs to him.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on how much of this video is actually possible.

Worst of that shit was hearing the sheepish audience afterwards.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
O' MA' GOD! FASCINATING!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom