Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

4X The Unsurpassed Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri thread

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by The Brazilian Slaughter, Jul 30, 2015.

?

Favorite Faction?

1. Gaia's Stepdaughters

18.6%
  2. Human Hive

11.5%
  3. University of Planet

29.2%
  4. Morgan Industries

17.8%
  5. Spartan Federation

7.9%
  6. The Lord's Believers

10.7%
  7. U.N Peacekeepers

4.3%
  1. scient Augur

scient
    I had such high hopes only to be disappointed.

• decline decline x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. JBro Arbiter

JBro
    Why?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. scient Augur

scient
    When it was initially announced as a spiritual successor to SMAC/X. Then I tried it a couple times after launch but it had lost all the charm of the original. Haven't looked at it since. I get more enjoyment out of decompiling SMAC/X anyway. I'm pretty out of the loop on games over the last 3-4 years.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    It was very clearly a low-effort Civ 5 mod from the jump. Firaxis never had any intention of actually attempting a true AC successor.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. scient Augur

scient
    That's exactly how it felt and completely soulless.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Not true,the devs actually went to wikipedia to see what alpha centauri even was,that is a big commitment.
    No seriously,they read wikipedia for gameplay features to emulate.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Stop reminding me of Civ: Beyond Derp. ITZ best left forgotten.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Is there a thorough analysis why Alpha Centauri was so memorable from an artistic perspective?
    What was that made it so special an artistically memorable and its soul will be able to be reproduced in a sequel?

^ Top  
  9. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Something like this? https://paeantosmac.wordpress.com/

Grotesque Brian Reynolds also talks specifically about what makes Alpha Centauri special during this (very long and good, conducted by Soren Johnson, designer of Civ4) interview: https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/brian-reynolds-part-2/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Silva Arcane

Silva
    I've recently stumbled on this Dune boardgame which is super thematic and evokes a similar feeling to the clash of filosofies and personalities of SMAC. It seems it's a 2019 remake of an old game, and it has huge following.

"Why da hell are you telling us about a boardgame in a videogames forum you moron?" Well, because there's a virtual tabletop software on steam that allows playing it in multiplayer mode. :D And also because, who knows, maybe you could convince some real life friends to try it in meat space. Good luck trying though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    It's an excellent game with the right people. I've played it a lot of times, I think this review does a good job to highlight the pros and cons:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. chuft Augur

chuft
    A coronavirus appears.

China had Yang in charge.

The West has Morgan. Looking grim.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. L'ennui Magister

L'ennui
    Virgin Morgan struggles to contain panic as the virus spreads:

Some civilian workers got in among the research patients today and became so hysterical I felt compelled to have them nerve stapled. The consequence, of course, will be another public relations nightmare, but I was severely shaken by the extent of their revulsion towards a project so vital to our survival.
    • CEO Nwabudike Morgan, The Personal Diaries
    Meanwhile, Chad Yang is taking drastic measures to ensure human carriers of the virus are properly contained:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.
    • Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Silva Arcane

Silva
    There's also this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-08-18-on-two-decades-of-sid-meiers-alpha-centauri

^ Top  
  15. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Can't understand how Civ 6, Stellaris and Age of Wonders: Planetfall get released on consoles and no one talks about remaking SMAC.

^ Top  
  16. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Because EA holds the IP rights to SMAC and even without that any remake without Brian Reynolds at the helm is worthless anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Did nu-Xcom had the original author at the helm? Honest question. It's an example of a remake done right IMO.

I would be satisfied with a simple "Remaster" though. Just update GFX and leave the game as is. Damn, were seeing Age of Empires remastered left and right, why not SMAC.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    There is no HD mod of SMAC right?

Because the pixelated images of SMAC do become tiring lately~

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Xamenos Magister Patron

Xamenos
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Firaxis did a make SMAC reimagining ala nu-Xcom. You might have heard about it. It was called Beyond Earth, and it sucked donkey balls.

• No x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Even before release, Firaxis was very clear in saying that Beyond Earth would not be another Alpha Centauri, and indeed it wasn't.

• decline decline x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Xamenos Magister Patron

Xamenos
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So that's why they said "For all of you fans out there that loved Alpha Centauri, this is the game we have made for you." in the reveal panel. They were pretty happy to market Beyond Earth as Alpha Centauri's spiritual successor, having a different name only because they didn't own SMAC. Until it bombed, that is, and they suddenly needed an excuse. Then the spin became "We never said it's like Alpha Centauri, it's the fans' fault for having unrealistic expectations". Don't rewrite history, Firaxis deserves all the blame for making turds and selling them as if they had anything to do with their good old games.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    I'm not rewriting history. I remember looking through dev interviews before release to see what they were doing, and they were clear in saying that they weren't trying to become Alpha Centauri but do their own thing instead. And it was pretty obvious to me they were just going to make a bland and mediocre mess, so I lost interest before the game had even launched. Maybe they originally intended to do a SMAC thing only to have the crew go in a different direction because they had their own (much worse) incompatible vision of game design, but in the dev interviews they were explicit about saying they were going to pursue a different direction.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    :necro:

Not sure what thread to go so here it is. I have several questions regarding the game itself and some technical problems.

Technical problems first: I got the Planetary Pack from GOG since it's 75% off. I installed the PRACX and scient's unofficial patch and get started by trying some of the scenario. But the game crashed every time one of my base spawned a unit. Asked around and apparently I was supposed to install the unofficial patch first *before* PRACX, so I did. This time the game crashes randomly, from when a new unit is spawned to when I get a notification saying my base is under attack. Asked on GOG forum this time and got a reply saying, "Those patches are 'unofficial' for some reason. Try uninstalling them and see if it fixes your problems" and so I did. This time, no crashes after trying out 5 scenarios. Weird, the unofficial patches supposedly fixes many bugs and crashes so what's wrong? Maybe because I'm playing on an ancient piece of laptop, but is there any remedy for my problems?
    Now that I think about it, perhaps it's because I installed both the main game and the expansion in the same folder? Should I install them separately into its own folder, and install the unofficial patches to their own (scient's/Kyrub to the main game, Yitzi's to the expansion)?

Anyway, gameplay related questions. Based on my understanding of playing the game so far:
    1. Every base building can gather resources on limited amount of tiles around it, right? Which can then be increased by making that base commit to a research, if there's any?
    2. Based on the resources being gathered around it, each base has a 'budget' on each (nutrients, minerals, and energy) that they can spend, which can then be spend by either making new units or committing to a research, or create new facility for that base, correct?
    If what I just listed above is correct, then
    1. Why did I get a notification saying I got an energy overload, which resulted in one of my facility (say Network Node) got destroyed? And why some other time, it notifies me that energy reserves is too low even though everything is being budgeted?
    2. Say it is because I didn't use those energy, do I have to order that base in particular to keep making units that costs energy, or do I commit it to researching something that requires energy?
    3. On topic of costs, I don't get the UI information regarding what and how much does a unit costs. Is that (for example) 4-1-2 stands for 4 Nutrients, 1 Minerals, and 2 Energy?
    4. I keep getting Drone Riots. What is it and why would it ever happens? Would something bad happens if I keep mind probe them to keep them docile for 10 turns? How to prevent Drone Riots in the first place, aside from committing the base to a research/facility building that reduce Drone Riots rate?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.