Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - ludonarrative dissonance begone

7/10

Learned
It's a Dear Esther with 10% more gameplay and 500% more pointless forest. Also has graphix.

Angthoron

Arcane
Played it through.

Atmosphere's great. Tone's great.
Graphics are great. Didn't have texture pop-ins by the way. Character models are a bit iffy but hey, you only see them so much.
Enjoyed the music.
The story was pretty decent. You can figure out where the story is going if you think a bit, the ending is logical, I rather liked it overall.

Gameplay... Well, it's occasionally present, but the "puzzles" aren't really challenging at all. It's mostly a walking sim. Hopefully they might learn on strengths and weaknesses and release an expansion/DLC with more gameplay to it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There will never again be a AAA adventure game with challenging puzzles. It's simply not going to happen.

Ivan

Arcane
There are no puzzles, just following blood trails in a myriad of forms

Music is outstanding

Graphics are godly blah blah blah

You can fucking SPRINT (YAY)

Story is serviceable

1 sequence near the beginning is kubrickesque

Untermensch

Augur
Walking sims are repulsive to me as a genre.

Dear Esther and it's ilk are the logical conclusion of this trend in gaming of turning games into interactive movies.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The story was pretty decent.

Story is serviceable

Really? What does it take for a game to have a "bad story" nowadays?

Your character is a figment of a little kid's imagination. He's imagining the brutal, Saw style murders of his family (because he doesn't understand why they are sometimes mean to him) while he's lying unconscious in a burning house. The game ends when the kid succumbs to smoke inhalation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

It's a Dear Esther with 10% more gameplay and 500% more pointless forest. Also has graphix.

Sounds good to me. Hopefully it'll be discounted in the Steam Winter Sale.

Terpsichore

Arcane
It was relaxing and nice to look at.

I wouldn't consider it a game though, it's something else, along with stuff like visual novels.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'll give this one a try since I liked Dear Esther. I like forests, I like being alone, like nature, and I thought that part where you get dumped into underground lake and then emerge from it felt almost like an allegory to rebirth. Nice experience.
Of course, I don't like it as a game, or even think of it as a game. It shouldn't be really called a game. But I don't think these visual experiences are inherently "evil" too. It's like almost a movie, or almost a picture, with a bit of movement. I mean, not all movies have characters or plot how we usually imagine them. Some movies lack classical structure or character cast. But they still can be good.

So, as long as these don't call themselves revolution in gaming, but something else, like "visual experiences", I'm ok with them.

And as long as they don't cost more than 2 bucks.

edit: tried it, solved 2 mysteries and a door puzzle (a puzzle for me since I'm a cretin when it comes to orienting). It's a more than Dear Esther, it's like less popamole Murdered: Soul Suspect, a light myst-like with hiking. The plot is standard Lovecraftian.
So it's worth more than 2 bucks.

A thing should be said about their music style... or technology... it wraps around so nicely and one tune follows into another like streams into a river. Very impressive.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Apparently puzzles are not bad but not super-complicated either.
imo the train and graveyard murders are ok, the door/house puzzle is actually good, all of the rest is shit.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What's the point in this? Watch someone else play the game and save time/money. Your own playthrough wouldn't be any different.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What's the point in this? Watch someone else play the game and save time/money. Your own playthrough wouldn't be any different.
*~  .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ * 。゚. o.゚  。 . 。。 .  .。    o   .. 。 ゚  , 。. o  。* 。 . o. 。 . .。.   。  . .゚o 。 *. 。 .. ☆ . +.。 .  . .   .   .  。 ゚。, ☆  ゚. + 。 ゚ ,。 . 。  , .。゚  。   ゚  .  +。 ゚ * 。. , 。゚ +. 。*。  , 。 .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ 。 .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ * 。゚. o.゚  。 . 。。 .  .。    o   .. 。 ゚  , 。. o  。* 。 . o. 。 . .。.   。  . .゚o 。 *.    feels 。.。 . .  . ☆ . +.。 .  . .   . +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ * 。゚. o.゚  。 . 。。 .   .。    o   .. 。 ゚  , 。. o 。* 。 . o. 。 . .。.   。  . .゚o 。 *. 。 .. ☆ . +.。  .  . .   .   .  。 ゚。, ☆ ゚. + 。 ゚ ,。 . 。  , .。゚  。   ゚  .  +。 ゚ * 。. ,  。゚ +. 。*。  , 。 .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ 。 .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, . o.゚  。 . 。。 .  .。    o   .. 。 ゚  , 。. o 。* 。  . o. 。 . .。.   。  . .゚o 。 *. 。 .. ☆ . +.。  .   .   ☆ * 。゚. o.゚  。 .  +.。。。☆ * 。゚ ..o ~*

While it might feel that way, VoEC is a bit more interactive than things like Dear Esther and it's visuals reached the point where, because they dragged so many objects, textures and visuals from real life, it feels like a pretty toy you'd rather enjoy twisting around in your hands and looking at it from different angles to appreciate every sharp texture, object and shaft of light than just look someone else to play it. The way music and locations change are unique and special just for you when you do it. It's really the same feeling you get when hiking in Morrowind, listening to sounds of giant insects and watching foyadas slowly uncover as you walk in white mist.
And the story is a wee bit more complex and requires some minimal effort to dig it out - you can't progress further until you actually do.

Direwolf

Arcane
*~  .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ * 。゚. o.゚  。 . 。。 .  .。    o   .. 。 ゚  , 。. o  。* 。 . o. 。 . .。.   。  . .゚o 。 *. 。 .. ☆ . +.。 .  . .   .   .  。 ゚。, ☆  ゚. + 。 ゚ ,。 . 。  , .。゚  。   ゚  .  +。 ゚ * 。. , 。゚ +. 。*。  , 。 .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ 。 .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ * 。゚. o.゚  。 . 。。 .  .。    o   .. 。 ゚  , 。. o  。* 。 . o. 。 . .。.   。  . .゚o 。 *.    feels 。.。 . .  . ☆ . +.。 .  . .   . +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ * 。゚. o.゚  。 . 。。 .   .。    o   .. 。 ゚  , 。. o 。* 。 . o. 。 . .。.   。  . .゚o 。 *. 。 .. ☆ . +.。  .  . .   .   .  。 ゚。, ☆ ゚. + 。 ゚ ,。 . 。  , .。゚  。   ゚  .  +。 ゚ * 。. ,  。゚ +. 。*。  , 。 .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, ☆ 。 .   +  ゚   。  。゚ . ゚。, . o.゚  。 . 。。 .  .。    o   .. 。 ゚  , 。. o 。* 。  . o. 。 . .。.   。  . .゚o 。 *. 。 .. ☆ . +.。  .   .   ☆ * 。゚. o.゚  。 .  +.。。。☆ * 。゚ ..o ~*

While it might feel that way, VoEC is a bit more interactive than things like Dear Esther and it's visuals reached the point where, because they dragged so many objects, textures and visuals from real life, it feels like a pretty toy you'd rather enjoy twisting around in your hands and looking at it from different angles to appreciate every sharp texture, object and shaft of light than just look someone else to play it. The way music and locations change are unique and special just for you when you do it. It's really the same feeling you get when hiking in Morrowind, listening to sounds of giant insects and watching foyadas slowly uncover as you walk in white mist.
And the story is a wee bit more complex and requires some minimal effort to dig it out - you can't progress further until you actually do.

Doesn't make this piece of shit a game, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sales stats:

141479567782.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I was gravely concerned Potato would be in the top 10 buyers

fortunately it wasn't

much incline of potato

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
how the fuck do you manage to spend 10+ hours in the game without accidentally leaving it on overnight?

TripJack

Hedonist
gamers from greenland madagascar and virgin islands confirmed to have excellent taste :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom