Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Corporate War: Epic Games vs Apple and Google

Codex Year of the Donut
Apple iPhones are around 13% of phones
This is a global figure, about half of all smartphones in USA are Apple products.

Still nowhere near Microsoft's level for desktop computers, and that also is without considering that the only real alternative to Windows is Linux, which is somewhat more tedious and less convenient than Windows, particularly for gaming (making Windows' dominance over desktop gaming even more pronounced) whereas Android phones are much better than iPhones from a user standpoint. Windows virtually has a monopoly on desktop gaming, and while recent improvements to the Linux experience as well as Microsoft making their own product worse is helping to erode this monopoly, it's still not comparable to the smartphone situation where you actually have multiple different and completely viable options, and if you don't like the situation with Apple you can just get an Android phone instead and be no worse off. Actually I'm not sure why you wouldn't get an Android phone to begin with since Apple charges more for worse products, but that's besides the point.
Installing a different OS is fairly easy
how do you install android on a $1500 apple phone?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So... why is not Epic allowing devs to sell their games on Epic Store for free again?:shitposting:
Because PC has alternative modes of distribution, apple phones only have the appstore.

Games on EGS can be downloaded from them only with the epic launcher, they are prohibiting others to use the Epic launcher. This case is so stupid it boggles my mind. I think Epic is just doing PR going against company more hated than them, so the sheep will see them as some sort of crusader for developers and customers.
That's not the same. The equivalent would be if you could only distribute games on Windows through the Microsoft store.

And that is illegal how? They can do that if they want.

Codex Year of the Donut
So... why is not Epic allowing devs to sell their games on Epic Store for free again?:shitposting:
Because PC has alternative modes of distribution, apple phones only have the appstore.

Games on EGS can be downloaded from them only with the epic launcher, they are prohibiting others to use the Epic launcher. This case is so stupid it boggles my mind. I think Epic is just doing PR going against company more hated than them, so the sheep will see them as some sort of crusader for developers and customers.
That's not the same. The equivalent would be if you could only distribute games on Windows through the Microsoft store.

And that is illegal how? They can do that if they want.
Do you know what antitrust laws are?

Codex Year of the Donut
Good luck proving Apple has monopoly on phones.
ios users account for ~80% of mobile app revenue in USA

Thats hardly a monopoly, just that profitable.

I guess Epic is like the American Left, communist when it suits then and capitalist when it suits then.
What alternative is there to the appstore to acquire software for people who own apple phones?
Is there no alternative because nobody has simply made one, or because Apple has made it impossible to make one?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So far, I've not done anything on Epic Games Store. Been a bit difficult because they keep giving out free games. Do these motherfuckers actually have more money than Steam or something!? Quite incredible how they keep giving away triple A titles.

Anyways, crazily enough, I don't think I've touched a game since Spring Break. We got like 2 extra weeks due to quarantine, and I fucking played the shit out of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Not touched a game since, though. Seems a bit insane since people are meme'ing that all they're doing is watching TV and playing video games. I've been too busy coding and learning for my dissertation.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
ZahdnKx.png

Mark Richard

Arcane

what the fuck

Christ. This video is the pinnacle of corporate activism. If a bunch of rich people want a better business deal, they're supposed to work it out behind closed doors. When Epic first came out to disingenuously position themselves as a multibillion dollar champion of the people, it made sense in regard to generating press for the new Epic Store. Now they're trying to organize consumer support for a lawsuit? Why? Would consumer participation actually change the outcome? Are we going to be summoned to fight all of Epic's lawsuits from now on?

Remember when the full extent of the company-consumer relationship was the developer makes a videogame, and the gamer plays it? With the advent of social media every corporation builds a religion around their product. Even if I were a Fortnite megafan, why the hell should I care if the company behind it has to pay a 30% cut to Apple? That's THEIR problem. Even the lower level employees at Epic shouldn't care, unless they're deluded enough to believe that extra 30% wouldn't go straight to executives bonuses.

Oh I know, Epic having to pay 30% isn't actually the stated reason given for the subsequent lawsuit. It's 'opening up the Android ecosystem for the benefit of all developers and consumers.' Fattening Tim Sweeney's wallet is just an unintentional side effect I guess.

Silly Germans

Have there been no other cases where someone tried to sue Google/Apple for this or something similar ? I find it surprising that Epic is trying, i would have guessed that others came before and failed. This seems to be a lot of trouble to gain some public relations going. Has Epic ever made a statement about their future development plans, once their main source of income Fortnite runs dry ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What alternative is there to the appstore to acquire software for people who own apple phones?
Is there no alternative because nobody has simply made one, or because Apple has made it impossible to make one?

You're falling into the "American having a very American perspective on a very European forum" trap that I often do, Rusty.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I dont see them getting ahead, pretty much anyone with money in US owns Apple shares, be it personal or via fund.
You can lobby Jesus itself with Apple money so the lawsuit is gonna be thrown into the trash.

But when it comes to Apple vs Spotify in the EU, there is a big chance Apple will get slammed for their anti-competitive bullshit they are pulling all the time to get their Apple Music ahead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom