Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Corporate War: Epic Games vs Apple and Google

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Sweeney is so high on crack it's not even funny. We don't want to pay Apple shit, but want court to force them to support Epic's apps and asking Apple to allow them to breach ToS.

Also mistakes iOS with Android. :lol:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought the annoying constant self righteous saviour complex that Sweeney displays was just a PR ploy, but judging by those emails to Apple, he actually believes it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Apple's users are retarded. They were able to accept that not having headphones on phone was not only great, but having to buy airpods was even better. I still wait for the day Apple start selling iPhone without battery charger, force them to buy one and still have users praising their idea.
I've seen this defended: https://imgur.com/pUJhCB7 . Yeah it's exactly how it looks, can't use the mouse while charging.
That's a price you pay for smooth curves. BTW, what about use a wired mouse? That doesn't need charging at all.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Apple releasing those to shot that sweeney is all about money
Not quite. As I understand it, their idea is to quash the emergency injunction by showing that Sweeny had planned for the ban to happen and therefore created the emergency himself.
Epic: "Hi, we are going to do this thing that clearly breaches the contract that allows us to sell stuff on your store."
Apple: "Okay, you can no longer sell stuff on our store then."
Epic:
300px-Surprised_Pikachu.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
surprised pikachu face with 69 pages lawsuit and promo vid sure
Yeah, that's the point. They act all How Could This Happen to Me? - Simple Plan, while they perfectly knew what they were doing and what they were getting into, since they already planned their next move. Exactly as in the second email, where Sweeney pulls the:

It’s a sad state of affairs that Apple's senior executives would hand Epic's sincere request off to Apple's legal team to respond with such a self-righteous and self-serving screed
Yeah, nice smug remark. "Woo woo, we just asked you to let us breach our contract, no need to involve your legal team lolololol".

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, that's the point. They act all How Could This Happen to Me? - Simple Plan, while they perfectly knew what they were doing and what they were getting into, since they already planned their next move. Exactly as in the second email, where Sweeney pulls the:

It’s a sad state of affairs that Apple's senior executives would hand Epic's sincere request off to Apple's legal team to respond with such a self-righteous and self-serving screed
Yeah, nice smug remark. "Woo woo, we just asked you to let us breach our contract, no need to involve your legal team lolololol".

Which is exactly why they involved their legal team,the higher ups at Apple figured out(or had inside info) that this was foreplay for what Sweeney was planning to do so they had their lawyers write the proper legal response to be used when things went to court

Last edited:

ultimanecat

Arcane
It’s pretty clear that Epic’s current long-term business plan is a mad dash to convert everyone with Fortnite installed into a permanent user of EGS, similar to Valve and Half Life 2. The problem is that Steam already exists on PC, and mobile devices are locked down so that putting alternative storefronts on them is difficult or impossible. I think from a legal perspective Epic is in a weak position for a number of reasons, but they also are swimming in cash so a long shot case is worth the gamble to them. I also expect that if Epic succeeds, their next targets will be the console manufacturers.

Mortmal

Arcane
It’s pretty clear that Epic’s current long-term business plan is a mad dash to convert everyone with Fortnite installed into a permanent user of EGS, similar to Valve and Half Life 2. The problem is that Steam already exists on PC, and mobile devices are locked down so that putting alternative storefronts on them is difficult or impossible. I think from a legal perspective Epic is in a weak position for a number of reasons, but they also are swimming in cash so a long shot case is worth the gamble to them. I also expect that if Epic succeeds, their next targets will be the console manufacturers.
it works people try epic store and even normies think steam free weekends are ridiculous when epic offer so many games forever.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Which is exactly why thy involved their legal team,the highers ups at Apple figured out(or had inside info) that this was foreplay for what Sweeney was planning to do so they had their lawyers write the proper legal response to used when things went to court

Sweeney is probably deluded enough to think he was being subtle. I imagine his plan was pretty obvious to Apple and Google.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What? Epic is crying about Apple's evil "walled garden" monopoly buttfucking them while doing the same shit with exclusives BS on PC and even is trying to get fortinite morons to defend them? Mah God, lets fight this monopoly guise, so Blizzard, Activision, EA and Tencent make more money with their mobile garbage! Lets fight for the rights of multimillion dollar corporations! Meh, Tim Sweeney is fucking hypocrite, meh, fuck him, fuck all those companies, I actually enjoy that Apple is buttfucking them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's pretty obvious people will go outside of Steam when they have to. The question is how do you get them to go outside of Steam when they don't have to. I doubt anyone ever figures that out, at least until Gaben retires and Steam inevitably goes to shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reinforcements have arrived:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-24-microsoft-sides-with-epic-in-legal-battle-with-apple

Microsoft sides with Epic in legal battle with Apple
UPDATE: Judge temporarily protects Unreal Engine, but not Fortnite.

UPDATE 25/08/20: Epic Games has seen partial success in seeking a restraining order against Apple, with the company ordered not to block Unreal Engine or terminate Epic's developer accounts on iOS and Mac. Temporarily, at least.

As ruled by U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers, the temporary restraining order prevents Apple from limiting Epic's ability to support Unreal Engine, a move that would have impacted studios and game creators who use the game engine. "Epic Games and Apple are at liberty to litigate against each other, but their dispute should not create havoc to bystanders," Rogers wrote (via The Verge). "Apple has chosen to act severely, and by doing so, has impacted non-parties, and a third-party developer ecosystem. In this regard, the equities do weigh against Apple."

The restraining order does not extend to Apple's removal of Fortnite from the App Store, however, as Rogers found that Epic Games "strategically chose to breach its agreements with Apple," and thus disrupted the status quo. "The Court finds that with respect to Epic Games' motion as to its games, including Fortnite, Epic Games has not yet demonstrated irreparable harm. The current predicament appears of its own making," Rogers added. She noted that since the blocking of Fortnite could be solved by rolling back the update that added the alternative payment system, Epic Games could not argue it had been dealt "irreparable harm".

The court ruling is intended to maintain the status quo until the companies make their full arguments for a preliminary injunction, which would determine whether Apple can take action against Fortnite or Unreal Engine. Rogers has set the first hearing for this on 28th September. The legal process will likely drag on for months, as Epic's counsel has said it will need four to six months to prepare for trial, while Apple wants the trial to take place in 10 months. In the meantime, it's good news for studios who rely on Unreal Engine for their iOS and MacOS games, who will no longer have to worry about potential disruption. For now, at least.

ORIGINAL STORY 24/08/20: The dispute between Apple and Epic Games over secondary payments has already seen its fair share of drama, with Fortnite blocked from the App Store and Apple threatening to boot Epic from the Apple Developer Program. But yet another megacorporation has now entered the fray, as Microsoft has filed a statement in support of Epic and Unreal Engine.

Written by Microsoft general manager for gaming Kevin Gammill, the statement is a response to Apple's attempt to revoke Epic's developer accounts and tool access for iOS and Mac, which would have serious repercussions for all studios using Unreal Engine on Apple's platforms. Gammill emphasised the importance of Epic's game engine as "one of the most popular third-party game engines available to game creators", and argued that blocking Epic from supporting Unreal Engine would place those game creators at "a substantial disadvantage".

"If Unreal Engine cannot support games for iOS or macOS, Microsoft would be required to choose between abandoning its customers and potential customers on the iOS and macOS platforms or choosing a different game engine when preparing to develop new games," Gammill explained. "Even uncertainty about the Unreal Engine's ability to continue supporting iOS and macOS will make it less likely for Microsoft (and, I believe, other game creators) to select Unreal Engine for their projects."

The whole fracas began earlier this month when Epic implemented an alternative mobile payment option for Fortnite to circumvent Apple's 30 per cent cut of all in-game transactions. As this violated Apple's terms and conditions, Fortnite was then pulled from the App Store, something Epic likely predicted giving the speed at which the "Ninteen Eighty-Fortnite" video was released. Along with the video and a #FreeFortnite hashtag intended to mobilise the game's fans, Epic filed lawsuits against both Apple and Google for monopolistic practices.

Apple reacted to this by moving to boot Epic from the Apple Developer Program, bringing us to where we are today. Epic has since filed for an injunction against Apple, claiming Apple will "terminate all our developer accounts and cut Epic off from iOS and Mac development tools" on 28th August. Apple then responded by saying this was a problem Epic had "created for itself", and has since called on courts to deny Epic Games a restraining order (via Gamesindustry.biz). Given there are only a couple of days remaining until the deadline, we'll have to see if the added pressure from Microsoft will be enough to change Apple's plans.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Reinforcements have arrived:

M$ are defending keeping UE on Apple platforms, they seem to have stayed silent on the main complaint though.
along the fb and google they did condemn apple in past for stance on streamed games.

afaik microsoft office apps are quite popular on apple products so... this is getting interesting and tangled

Yeah, I suspect most tech companies are treating this case with extreme caution. They probably aren't completely sure of the impact it could have on their business.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom