Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Music Thread

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

BanEvader

I need some of you gay boys to tell me which one of the billion different jazz subgenres this piece is.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm back with some more text.

My odyssey through game music has taken me through the music of the Atari ST - and I was sorely disappointed.

The reason? The music scene of the computer doesn't stand on its own. It's all either derived music taken from somewhere else, or original music that was later ported to another platform where it ended up sounding better. (Nine times out of ten that 'other' platform was the Amiga.)

I even delved into the Demo scene and checked out what tunes they had there - and sadly it was mostly the same.

A pity.

But on to something else: I'll just quote the sleeve cover:

Back in Time Vol 1 (1997) said:
Some of the best synth music ever created was never released on vinyl, tape or CD.

It was subject to technical limitations, yet it captured the musical imagination of an entire generation like no other game music before or since. This music has been underground for ten years: on the internet and in people's imaginations, kept alive through imitation and emulation.

Now, it lives again. freed from the limitations of its source medium, ready for any synth music fan to enjoy.

Two man-years of work went into this CD: every note was painstakingly arranged for musical quality and authenticity.

And, best of all, the original composers were involved wherever possible, to make this a definitive C-64 themes CD.

Prepare to relive your past. You'll love what you find there.

~25 years ago a series of audio CDs were released which contained some of the best C-64 tunes in 'modern' day quality, with normal instruments. I chanced upon MP3s of these discs long after they'd gone out of print and were unavailable for purchase, and those became some of my most cherished MP3s.

The minute I learned that the author had re-released (and updated) these discs online, many years later, I purchased all three of them, they're that good.

But now it's taken the next step: The author has released these albums on The Internet Archive, in FLAC/MP3-format, for free.

Download Volume 1.

Download Volume 2.

Download Volume 3.

Enjoy. I sure as hell did.

(Want more? Back in Time Vol. 4-6 are available on the author's website for a modest price.)

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
I'm back with some more text.

My odyssey through game music has taken me through the music of the Atari ST - and I was sorely disappointed.

The reason? The music scene of the computer doesn't stand on its own. It's all either derived music taken from somewhere else, or original music that was later ported to another platform where it ended up sounding better. (Nine times out of ten that 'other' platform was the Amiga.)

I even delved into the Demo scene and checked out what tunes they had there - and sadly it was mostly the same.

A pity.

But on to something else: I'll just quote the sleeve cover:

Back in Time Vol 1 (1997) said:
Some of the best synth music ever created was never released on vinyl, tape or CD.

It was subject to technical limitations, yet it captured the musical imagination of an entire generation like no other game music before or since. This music has been underground for ten years: on the internet and in people's imaginations, kept alive through imitation and emulation.

Now, it lives again. freed from the limitations of its source medium, ready for any synth music fan to enjoy.

Two man-years of work went into this CD: every note was painstakingly arranged for musical quality and authenticity.

And, best of all, the original composers were involved wherever possible, to make this a definitive C-64 themes CD.

Prepare to relive your past. You'll love what you find there.

~25 years ago a series of audio CDs were released which contained some of the best C-64 tunes in 'modern' day quality, with normal instruments. I chanced upon MP3s of these discs long after they'd gone out of print and were unavailable for purchase, and those became some of my most cherished MP3s.

The minute I learned that the author had re-released (and updated) these discs online, many years later, I purchased all three of them, they're that good.

But now it's taken the next step: The author has released these albums on The Internet Archive, in FLAC/MP3-format, for free.

Download Volume 1.

Download Volume 2.

Download Volume 3.

Enjoy. I sure as hell did.

(Want more? Back in Time Vol. 4-6 are available on the author's website for a modest price.)
Some of those are great. Adding to my collection.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant

C64 Jeroen Tel's "Cybernoid I and II"

Jeroen Tel - “Supremacy (C64)”

Jeroen Tel - "Tintin on the Moon (C64)"

Thomas Detert - "Starforce (C64)"

C64 Martin Galway's "Arkanoid"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom