Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
InXile keeps an eye on the codex, but it's good to go to the Wasteland forums to rally the rabble to your cause.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
WL2 forums is mostly go-to especially if we explicitly ask for ideas/input as we've done throughout development. When looking for general feedback though, like when we release a video or this beta, we look around as much as possible, especially me. I think I mentioned I linked our project lead directly to choice posts not just from the official forums but from Codex as well, and we've been on the phone to discuss 'em, and a lot of ideas and improvements are going straight into the game. That's what the beta is for after all. The only real limit is time available to check everywhere since there's a lot of feedback to go through, but we do our best. I think you guys'll see a lot of points on the patch list where you go "oh hey!"

(arrow to the knee will still be in though, I don't think we're doing text-passes yet at this stage, haha)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it's good to see BN on the ball. WL2 has much potential and if realized it will be amazing.

Well, i think we can at least count on Brother None to forward some of our ideas. He's a regular here after all.
unless he takes an arrow the the knee LOLLING

grotsnik

Arcane
(arrow to the knee will still be in though, I don't think we're doing text-passes yet at this stage, haha)

When you guys do edit, you have to change some serious 'recieve' to 'receive'. You just have to.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT IMPROVEMENT YOU CAN MAKE RIGHT NOW

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brother None said:
Leftover APs are something I've seen debated here and there so I'll just put it here; this is a tricky one. A straight AP-to-evasion bonus would probably not work well in a game where cover is an important factor. Some limited AP retention would help. Ideas and feedback on this are more than welcome (if I just straight up missed a thread lemme know, I've been pretty slammed of late)

How about - instead of straight conversion - a scaling factor similiar to how speed affects movement per AP (probably meaning going into digits with the evade value)?

Or; something like +1 evade per every second AP left (the maximum AP is 10 afterall, so the overall gain would be a maximum of 5, which means in practice that the character just hunkers down and does nothing)?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brother None please do not remove the health regeneration; it is slow and small enough not to be game breaking and it actualy makes sense that your characters would heal up over time. Maybe remove it in the higher difficulty levels but to me in fits perfectly with the game as it is. Yeah the system could be abused but then again almost all systems have that risk
Oh and about the extra AP maybe you could introduce a proper Overwatch command where a chacater could react to enemy movement and counterattack, it would not only make use of those AP in a more direct maner rather than just assigning those values to evasion or whatever or having the extra AP for next round.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Brother None Just have leftover AP count as a sequence bonus for next round, or as a extended action that starts this round and happens at the start of the next one. I understand that some actions could automatically fail because of this, but thats where the expression "too slow" comes from.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think the time it takes for the characters to heal up is - and should be - repellent enough for any normal player not rely upon it. If someone wants to go through the trouble of leaving the game standing for half an hour, he's probably deserved all the health he gains in that time.
It's pretty similiar to how the skilluse attempts take time based on the difficulty (which I think is a great feature).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the time it takes for the characters to heal up is - and should be - repellent enough for any normal player not rely upon it.

What if you "rely" on it without trying? What if you're an explorefag who takes his sweet time travelling through areas, looking at things, trying out skills on things?

Perversely, the health regen makes the game easier for the most thorough, hardcore players who WANT extra difficulty, while punishing the casuals who want to speed through the game.

It's a bad feature, at least as currently implemented.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Besides, seems hypocritical that HP regen happens while inside areas, but not while traveling the world map.... this is obviously because it would make the damage from lack of water pointless, and that just shows how retarded HP regen is.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's an easy solution for making this better, too - make health regenerate ONLY when the party is on the move and actually walking from place to place.

Hardcore, thorough, slower-paced players tend to play games slowly, but they don't walk around aimlessly. They spend lots of time standing in place, deciding on their next move.

I believe that such players can accept that, for instance, if they made a huge detour and backtracked somewhere, then it's okay that they've regenerated some health since then. What they can't accept is that because they're playing the game a bit slower than other people, that combat is now less challenging for them.

I got this idea from the old Quest for Glory games, where time would pass in the world only when you were walking around and doing things. Run around the forest like a maniac? Evening might arrive within minutes. Walk around town leisurely? The day will last much longer. It worked really well.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Besides, seems hypocritical that HP regen happens while inside areas, but not while traveling the world map.... this is obviously because it would make the damage from lack of water pointless, and that just shows how retarded HP regen is.
Wouldn't this just be a case of playing with the numbers so lack of water damage is higher still than regen?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Infinitron, makes sense, one thing is to leave the game running, go make a sandwich and return to a fully healed party; the other is to stay 10 minutes running around before a battle, just to heal.

Wouldn't this just be a case of playing with the numbers so lack of water damage is higher still than regen?
Yeah, that's true. In fact, water damage should be on a geometric progression, to really show that despair.

tuluse

Arcane
Personally I think healing should be tied to water, and I've posted my suggestion on the official forums. I'll repost here:

Remove regenerating health when your in an area map. Have characters heal when walking on the overland map. This means you're spending water to heal, so it's not just free as long as you're willing to wait. Then I would add a rest button in area maps which lets you heal but again your characters would drink water as time is passing.

JParabellum

Novice
OK why not make the auto health regen a setting option? So far i have seen a 50/50 split on this issue.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Infinitron, makes sense, one thing is to leave the game running, go make a sandwich and return to a fully healed party; the other is to stay 10 minutes running around before a battle, just to heal.

Here's the basic idea:

A player who runs around the map aimlessly might regenerate more health than a player who goes directly from point A to point B. That's fair.

But a fast player and a slow player who perform the exact same actions in the game, only at different speeds, should regenerate the same amount of health.

Turn-based health regen, not real-time. :obviously:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like Tuluse's suggestion, that would give it an actual purpose to the oasis as healing spots before going to the are map sections

aratuk

Cipher
OK why not make the auto health regen a setting option? So far i have seen a 50/50 split on this issue.

Game balance. With too many user-adjustable difficulty variables, it's harder for the devs to have a clear idea of the experience they're designing. If you simplify the job the developers have to do by asking them to remove things that only exist to make the game easier, they can achieve a balanced combat system more quickly, and have more time to devote to other areas.

There should really only be two difficulties: normal (which is anything but easy) and hard (which is painfully difficult). Design the game around normal, a nice challenge, but leave the option to make things slightly ridiculous...

The problem is, there's too much money in "easy".

Toll

Novice
Health Regen up to a certain percentage of wounds taken during the battle would be fine. Anything past that requires skills and item use... That would be the best way IMO..

Elthosian

Arcane
The most recurrent argument in favor of regen is not wanting to lose time healing everyone after each battle, so simple, add a "Heal Everyone" button like the one in Jagged Alliance 2, that way you wipe out "HP micromanagement" without lessening the importance of medical items.

Hey, Sister Nun! My preview copy hasn't arrived yet. What gives?

:negative:

PS. That reminds me, some bloke with Belkar Bitterleaf as his avatar said I could have a free copy after I pointed out how butthurt I was about not having any money to support Wasteland 2! Now if only I could remember who that was....

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, Sister Nun! My preview copy hasn't arrived yet. What gives?

:negative:

PS. That reminds me, some bloke with Belkar Bitterleaf as his avatar said I could have a free copy after I pointed out how butthurt I was about not having any money to support Wasteland 2! Now if only I could remember who that was....

I succumbed to temptation and tried out the beta for a short while before I regained my sanity and will now wisely wait for the finished product. Unfortunately, that means I used my beta key but will still honor my offer with a game key whenever the game is released. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom