Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Watch Dogs Watch

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Its actually a pretty good review. He might be an idiot but he's sincere.
stating the obvious that everybody knows already doesn't make this a good review.
also: why the fuck do grenades come with wifi in this game?

Xeon

Augur
I kinda don't understand what makes a good review if its not honest. There was a very good detailed article about the graphics by PCGamingWiki and like you said he didn't say anything about the game itself that wasn't already said. He only gave his honest opinion about the game after playing it, I thought that was pretty good.

I think Jiff from Giant Bombs complained about the bombs being connected to a wifi in his review or in one of the podcasts.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Its too bad they took such a sterile approach to hacking. They should've gone full hollywood and made Saints Row : Hacking. Let us hack into grenades, guns, vehicles, rockets in mid flight, cybernetic enemies, etc. etc. Just go wild ffs.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So anybody played this ? I'm interested, but I just can't stand the banal and repetitive sandbox approach of AssCreed games. Is this anything more than HackerCreed, the game ?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
He only gave his honest opinion about the game after playing it, I thought that was pretty good.
stating your honest opinion is nothing special when it comes at no personal cost since it's just a rehash of the public opinion... and it's not a good review because it contains no new information, and what little info it contains at all, it presents in the most annoying twatty and uncritical way ever (like the goddamn whining about hacking). it's not so much a review as it is a 25minutes long annoyingly gimmicky "me too".

TheGreatOne

Arcane
It's kinda funny how that guys (AngryJoe's) favorite game is the 1994 version of XCOM and he is Spoony's buddy (who has/used to have the most codexian taste in gaming out of all the internet gaming personalities). Not that makes his reviews any better

E: Did you read the comments on that rant video?
boysta2011
your moaning about the people that pay you money for doing fuck all?? get in the real world and work 12 hours a day in the fucking rain, ice or 40mph winds. if you disagree with me then make another video :)

Brett Lefevre

Mate, Fuck off. He spends more time and effort into one video then you've most likely put in to anything in your whole life. Joe is one of the most hardest working people you'll ever meet. He'll put 18 Hours + into editing one video.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I kinda don't understand what makes a good review if its not honest. There was a very good detailed article about the graphics by PCGamingWiki and like you said he didn't say anything about the game itself that wasn't already said. He only gave his honest opinion about the game after playing it, I thought that was pretty good.

He reads what his fans are saying and then bases his reviews on that. He tells his fans what they want to hear, not what he really thinks. He probably wouldn't make money otherwise.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Exactly. These 'reviewers' are entertainers. When your livelihood is based on people clicking on your videos (and you have no exit strategy to another career because 'YouTube celebrity' isn't highly sought after experience) you're going to cater to the masses.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Exactly. These 'game developers' are entertainers. When your livelihood is based on people buying your game (and you have no exit strategy to another career because you're a failed movie director wannabe) you're going to cater to the masses.

Fixed.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

He reads what his fans are saying and then bases his reviews on that. He tells his fans what they want to hear, not what he really thinks. He probably wouldn't make money otherwise.
Indeed. Nobody reads/watches a "review" to make a purchase decision anymore, that decision was made 2 months before the game was released, when the pre+orders were opened.

Angthoron

Arcane
That's true. However, negative reviews of a game can influence the sales of the next game to come out.

Vibalist

Arcane
They can also influence how fast sales rates drop. Apparantly DA2 sold really well in its first week, better than DAO, but after that the sales went down rather quickly.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
First two weeks of sales are the most absolutely vital in the world for anyone trying to sell a product, as they've been what all of your marketing and advertising has been leading up to. Pre-orders are an important part of sales, but there are also thousands of potential buyers out there who hang back in favour of reading the reviews and making their purchase based on that. Review scores are actually an incredibly important part of sales; it's why there are tonees of developers out there who put out press-embargoes on their games just to make sure nobody says anything bad about it, and a developer getting screwed out of their bonus pay because they were one point away from the score the publishers wanted.

Pre-orders are an important part of the Day-One Purchases, but for the remaining two or so weeks you've got to rely on those review scores and word-of-mouth to continue making good sales.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Indeed. Nobody reads/watches a "review" to make a purchase decision anymore, that decision was made 2 months before the game was released, when the pre+orders were opened.

Sadly true.

And honestly even the people who still care about evaluating a game post-release watch a youtube or Giant Bomb video now-a-days. Unedited gameplay footage is a much better tool to evaluate a game than someone's subjective review paragraphs.

BelisariuS.F

Augur

Do you have any concrete evidence for that? It's the second time I see this accusation, and I wonder if it's based on any concrete evidence, or if it's just a usual case of baseless accusations of someone one doesn't like.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Just look at his reviews. When has he ever deviated from the popular opinion that can be found on sites like IGN/Gamespot/NeoGAF? His reviews often comes days after release so that he can see what everyone is saying about the game before he reviews it. I don't have any issue with him any more than I do with the majority of other popamole vidya reviewers, but I can spot an entertainer when I see one. And that's exactly what he is; an entertainer, not a reviewer. Even his silly little video intros are a testimony to that.

You're welcome to believe he's actually reviewing these games if you want, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom