Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Way of Wrath - early bronze age RPG with fort management and dynamic open world

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Amused by my ability to cause luj1 to develop grudges against random underappreciated indie RPGs simply by being interested in them. "Why is he posting in this uncool thread for this uncool game? What's his agenda? >_>" lol

I'm absolutely not ashamed of sometimes being the only person keeping awareness of certain games alive while the rest of the forum succumbs to various obsessions. You've been known to do the same, Taka-Haradin puolipeikko.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Amused by my ability to cause luj1 to develop grudges against random underappreciated indie RPGs simply by being interested in them. "Why is he posting in this uncool thread for this uncool game? What's his agenda? >_>" lol

I'm absolutely not ashamed of sometimes being the only person keeping awareness of certain games alive while the rest of the forum succumbs to various obsessions. You've been known to do the same, Taka-Haradin puolipeikko.
Ok but why you gotta split threads so much?

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
Yep! All are welcome here :D We're a friendly bunch.
Feel free to ask me any questions, feedback, or critique. :D

e5382927f892.gif

And do keep checking in from time to time. The quality and content will keep increasing, we are in Alpha/Beta now so a lot of things are still rough, especially after we upgraded a lot of systems and we are still tracking down problems for that. We have a lot of things yet to fix and implement before we get the final quality of the game.

We announced the game quite early in development. For one because we wanted to get the feedback early and two it's very hard to work a new indie game otherwise. It takes a lot of time to gain exposure. This has done a lot of good for us, but it also meant we would not be exposing the game with "Best we can do" quality.

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
We'll start EA when the foundation is solid and there are no risks for large delays. So we can concentrate about adding content and shaping the game based on feedback and community ideas.
That's why we are putting it off and starting with free betas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I missed this on Friday - The Way of Wrath on the Escapist Indie Showcase post-show:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Beta is out too for people who signed up:

Hello!

Thank you for signing up for the The Way Of Wrath RPG beta!

This will give you free access to the game until June 30th, after which the game will be removed from your library. You can follow official Steam Instructions to activate the code.

We are really excited to share with your our game, and as a small two person team, we really appreciate you helping us out with your feedback and bug reports.

You can reach us on our communities Discord Channel or Steam Forums. Be sure to also check out our new Gameplay Trailer!

Thank you and have fun!

The Way Of Wrath Team

So it's just an extension of the demo for eight more days?

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
+ We'll keep updating with content, polish, and more areas/features in those days. We might extend one or two weeks after the 30th. Or we might do like the second beta with open-world features.
At this point we are just focused on player feedback, getting the game more stable and fun to play and gradually introducing more features. We'll go with what makes sense based on player feedback and our observations.

Two major milestones are the Arena Mode, where you fight in increasing difficulty combat rounds on different maps. So we could test and finetune more of the AI, skills and control/feedback comfort for players.
And the second one would be part two of the demo story, where you get to explore the section of the open world with hunting, fishing, more quests and survival elements, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://steamcommunity.com/games/969330/announcements/detail/2872689114965959100

New Devdiary, Progress, Beta 2, Kickstarter, EA

Hey! We are back with bunch of updates and dev diary ^^

It’s been a few weeks since the last beta, and a lot happened. Preparing the first beta, changing combat style and updating systems took a lot of months of hard work. First, we took some time to rest and recover our energy. It's very easy to overwork yourself in indie development, and it's something we all need to watch out for and take time to rest to stay healthy.

Then we organized all your feedback and bug reports and started working hard to implement it in preparation for the next beta. We’ve improved controls, combat feedback, rewrote character creation, and made big changes to the skill system.

f05f3c79644707bcfffa56cec99f755afecf32b9.jpg

We also thought very hard on our release plans. We want to release a more polished and fun game, without any game breaking bugs. So rather than rush and overwork ourselves again we decide to take more time for this and release the game in February or March of next year.

But, there will be many exciting things happening before that. In September we want to start our next beta that will feature a new game mode centered around combat. More on this in a bit.

In October we’ll take part in the Steam Autumn Festival! If we can make it in time, here you’ll be able to play updated story mode with a new intro map and try out many new mechanics.

f7565f0342f94e7cb4491cf1df4e0d491309fd36.jpg

Another exciting thing is the Kickstarter Campaign. We are now preparing a draft page for it and we want to share it with you. We are hoping for your feedback to make an awesome Kickstarter campaign with rewards and stretch goals that are interesting to you. If the campaign is successful it will be a big boost to us and the quality of the game. It will allow us to do things beyond what we can do with self funding. And also hopefully bring many new friends to our community. During Kickstarter we’ll also release many exciting updates about the game and new art and trailers.

74aa389803d976e3e02e78115a5508c99cd39d35.jpg

Now back to combat beta. Here you take control of four characters and fight in the series of challenging and brutal tactical battles on different maps. Each battle will have different scenarios. In some, you can place traps and ambush enemies. In others, you might be ambushed, or have to assault or defend a fortification.

230df99a6c1c4ac4e6b202fbb55caebb64f08ab0.jpg

After a battle you will collect loot and resources and then go to a special party camp. Here you can craft and upgrade your armor and weapons, heal and level up your characters and craft tools like medicine, traps and bombs. We also planing this game mode in the final game as a free DLC.
We are hoping with your help to greatly improve our combat, AI and skills.

Thank you for reading. Let us know what you think and stay tuned for many more exciting updates! Cheers!

Hellwalker Will the Kickstarter be after the second beta?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This won't be in this week's Steam Game Festival: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/969330/view/2855803154583475473

Beta 2 Update and Preview of Arena Progress.

Hello Everyone!
We have a quick update and preview of our Arena Progress.

b23565fa5a7b5876a4ece180dc3cc5d28095e84a.jpg

Instead of the Steam Autumn Festival, we’ll be taking part in Steam Winter Festival. But you’ll still get to play the demo we’d show at the Autumn Festival. We’ll just move it to date aimed a short while after Autumn Festival ends. We expect to start on the 20th~25th of October. With the exact date coming soon. You can join beta here: https://www.thewayofwrath.com/beta . If you already signed up for the previous beta you are good to go, we'll send you the key.

In this demo/beta you’ll play a special combat-focused game mode. (Working title “Arena”. )
You’ll create a party of four characters and fight in life or death rounds against vicious enemies. After each battle, you’ll chill in a special party camp where you can use the loot won in battles to craft weapons, armor, medicine, shaman tools, and more.

8c5b2a0eb9cea0d16e0113b45f75d1524e507184.gif

To help you quickly get started with arena runs, we made a selection of character builds for you to pick. You can also create your own character archetypes, which will be saved on your profile and you can re-use them in the next arena runs.

We’ve made a number of improvements to character creation. Especially in regards to the skill tree. You get a nice overview of all the skills. Attributes were re-imagined into their own skill trees. This way you’ll get greater control over the physical attributes you want to boost, and get new awesome skills inspired by attributes. Like special feasts of strength, or dexterity. Combat is grouped in Melee, Ranged, and Shaman trees. And exploration skills get their own trees. Each skill will get a neat little video preview so you can easily visualize the use range and the shape.

8aba62518f4b81189200df10565b6e8f58a0b7d6.jpg

In the coming days, we’ll share many cool details and work in progress visuals for the arena. Some cool community activities are also brewing.

f134676deb8c2d1f9d3b6db69c80ba9f4143d561.png

Stay tuned and thank you for keeping us company on this development journey!

Discord Group: https://discord.gg/x45c2dN
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thewayofwrath
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWayOfWrath

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/969330/view/2914353120900200371

Kickstarter Announcement!
We're very excited to announce our Kickstarter Campaign - Coming February 1, 2021! This is going to be epic!

We've got a big announcement!

This is going to be epic! Join us on this adventure and let's have some fun!

Kickstarter is a unique opportunity to get exciting rewards. Exclusive physical items, sign-ed collectors edition, hand-crafted obsidian amulet, or even to become a designer and create characters or quests! And most importantly, you'll get to play the game early and shape it with your feedback!

c14634791640b50406a21c3b66c395d6784391ca.png

We'll have special community events where we'll design characters, easter eggs, combat maps with you!

We'll host special developer streams with more sneak peeks into the game and new dev-diaries.

If everything goes well Kickstarter will start on February 1st and we've got a lot to prepare! While we wait for the Kickstarter launch we want to hear your feedback about everything! What are you hoping out of our RPG? Stretch goals, features, customizations, new languages, rewards, ideas - everything! Jump into our Discord Channel and take part in community voting!

This is a third-year we are working very hard on The Way of Wrath. The development is fully self-funded and we're spending all our free time working on the game while supporting ourselves with asset sales and minimal outsourcing work.

In this time we've come very far! We've built all the core RPG features and many unique ones, created a new fictional universe, a new story, and designed many open-ended, deep, and multi-faceted quests for you to explore. We've laid the foundation for a fully-realized open-world RPG.

fcc5d2e4dc095648b82404766a5928c65dfdd9d8.gif

We are very proud of what we achieved on this crazy adventure with just a two-person team from a country where the serious game industry is just taking shape. We are very thankful to you for sharing this journey with us and keeping us sane.

Now we are at a place in development where with little extra resources we can add new key features and add more intricate depth to the gameplay, to hire the help we need to give content extra time, love, and attention for it to really come alive and become great. To drastically Improve polish. And if we reach stretch goals we'll be able to add new languages, voice acting, new gaming platforms, new gameplay mechanics, and maybe even a new additional combat type.

Kickstarter is a chance for us to push the game beyond our limitations, stay independent, and fully realize our vision. All the while giving you cool rewards and unique items that we'd not be able to do otherwise. We're hoping with your help we can achieve this dream and create for you a truly remarkable game.

You can already sign up to be notified when the Kickstarter Goes Live! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg

P.S. Beta details coming very soon!

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...Wrath_Prepares_for_Kickstarter_in_Q1_2021.php

Tbilisi, Georgia -- November 9th, 2020 -- Independent developer Animmal today invites players to sign up for their new Kickstarter page for the upcoming narrative-driven turn-based RPG, The Way of Wrath, ahead of the crowdfunding campaign in Q1 2021. The Way of Wrath takes you on a harrowing journey through a shamanistic world full of mystery and danger that will make you fall in love with roleplaying games all over again.

Sign up today and be notified when the campaign goes live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg

Prior to the Kickstarter launch, Animmal will be hosting a range of community events, offering a chance to win exciting The Way of Wrath merchandise and the opportunity to get involved in important game design decisions. The developer has planned a number of streaming sessions, during which they will work with the community to design in-game assets, including easter eggs, characters, weapons and even a quest. The community will also be able to vote which Kickstarter stretch goals should become a priority. Known for active community engagement, Animmal also has a number of update videos and sneak peeks into the development lined up, as well as rewards throughout the whole Kickstarter campaign.

The Way of Wrath is our love letter to masterpieces like Baldur’s Gate, Zelda and Deus-Ex, and we want to challenge your creativity, reward experimentation and capture your imagination the way those games have over the years,” said Dato Kiknavelidze, Co-Founder of Animmal. “We’re extremely excited to launch the Kickstarter campaign for The Way of Wrath and offer loads of exclusive rewards for our backers in return. Sign up early so you don’t miss out!”

The Way of Wrath is a narrative-driven tactical RPG featuring turn-based, dynamic combat and a non-linear world where your decisions matter. Journey through a meticulously handcrafted landscape, carrying out quests and interacting with NPCs, each with their own interactive storylines influenced by the choices you make. Unrelenting environmental hazards, scarce supplies and vicious enemies are only a few of the adversities you will encounter as you work to rebuild a rundown fort and maintain the morale of the troops in the face of an oncoming enemy onslaught.

Keep up to date and follow The Way of Wrath on Twitter, Facebook and Discord.

I take it the the second beta did not come out last month? I think I was supposed to get a key.

Last edited:

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
Thanks for sharing!
Beta got moved yes, in ~ two weeks we'll start. This time we should have an option to play on Steam or GOG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://steamcommunity.com/games/969330/announcements/detail/2918862426979919335

5 Days until Kickstarter - Oh boy!

More than three years ago there was an epic rain in the city of Tbilisi in Georgia. The roads had turned to small rivers and unable to get home from a work-related meeting I took shelter in my friend's tiny basement room that his indie music band rented for practice. We decided to wait out the rain there.

It had been a long time since we had gotten together and soon we got to talking about our favorite games. As it often happens it didn't take long for us to start talking about old games and all the things we missed about them. The handcrafted open world of Gothic, the epic story and companions of Baldur's Gate, the interactivity of Ultima and Zelda, the open-ended design of Thief or Deus Ex, the feeling of being alone with the environment of Tomb Raider.

We talked with great excitement about all the cool features and design trends that seemed lost to time. And the inevitable question soon followed. "Why does no one make games like these anymore?"

Except for this time, it was followed with another question. "Why don't we make it ourselves?"

b16e18e8c9d1671c320d2eb1d8e70f561079d924.jpg

We grabbed pen and paper, laid it out like a battle map on the wooden board perched on a bunch of bricks that served as a recording studio table, and got to designing our concept. Nothing was hypothetical, we had spent tens of thousands of hours learning and practicing our craft. By that time we had worked on many projects for over 12 years, including indies, big corporations, outsource, video games, board games, even an award-winning animation short.

We were seeing that the path from drawing doodles in school and making mods for Morrowind as teenagers to professional game dev had paid off. We didn't just have a dream before us but a solid concept, with a solid pipeline to make it a reality.

When the rain had stopped and I walked out with a head full of ideas, my mind had never felt clearer. It was time for us to make an RPG game of our own.

Three years of really hard work later, we have designed all the core systems and mechanics. We are really excited about what we have accomplished. We are seeing the soul of our favorite legendary RPG's come to life in our game and so much that is new and exciting.

But we know that it can be better. It's possible for us to win more time to focus on gameplay and story and really polish up each piece of the content. And there are specific mechanics currently out of our scope that can bring the whole picture together into something truly special.

We want to make those mechanics a reality. We want to make something worthy of the great classics that inspired us to become game developers and pursue our dream of following in their footsteps. We want to make you an awesome RPG that you'll enjoy playing and replaying for many years to come.

In just five days we will be launching a Kickstarter campaign. Where we'll have a new playable story demo for you to play, much of the lore to discover, and awesome rewards to get.

With Kickstarter's base goal, we'll be able to hire talented people to help us with amazing quality music, sound, atmospheric effects, and text editing. This will give us more time to focus fully on gameplay, story, and level design and fill every nook and cranny of our game world with exciting details for you to discover.

276f2fee21f3bfeb4ac195572d65b98f3d6b824f.jpg

If we can reach stretch goals, we'll be able to add amazing mechanics to the game (We'll share stretch goals in our newsletter soon). Add voice acting and translate the game into more languages.

We need your help to make this a reality. To push beyond our limitations and deliver you a truly remarkable RPG. A game designed fully on your feedback and a game where we would not have to sacrifice anything from our vision of the game.

If you are excited about our project and want to help us craft a bigger and better game there are five things you can do to help.

• Sign up for our newsletter or join our discord so we can share with you a preview of our Kickstarter page and hear your feedback.
  • Tell your friends who might be interested in our game about our campaign.
  • On February 1st and 2nd help us share the game on social networks and in gaming groups. If we can get funded in under 48 hours, the KS algorithm will highlight us and we'll have a very big chance to hit many stretch goals. This is why it's important to have a large activity on the first two days.
  • Follow our Kickstarter page so we can panic less and not get heart attacks before the launch :D
  • And if you are able and willing, back us on Kickstarter. We have awesome exclusive rewards, and you'll be the first to play the game and shape it with your feedback. Our development will be fully transparent to our backers and you'll get to play each update of the game.

And last but not least, a huge thank you for following and supporting us on our game development journey. We are always happy to hear your comments and suggestions. Keep em coming!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
A story-driven, open-world, tactical RPG set in a pre-historic shamanistic world. Inspired by Baldur's Gate, Gothic, & Legend of Zelda.

Seriously?
Baldur's Gate, i get it but Gothic? :retarded::retarded::retarded:/5
Legends of Zelda? :retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:/5

I believe they forgot to call-in for Tetris, Arkanoïd, Minecraft, World of Warcraft and GTA fans...
It's inspired by everything!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom