Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Way of Wrath - early bronze age RPG with fort management and dynamic open world

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3098259

New article about Crafting, 65% funded, new community goal reward unlocked! Pet design livestream.

Some News

Our Kickstarter community has grown! With 400+ backers we've unlocked the next social goal and a new community reward. A pet design live-stream, where we'll sketch out pets based on your comments and they will become part of the game available for everyone.

Tomorrow, Saturday, November 13th we invite you to join our stream and design awesome new pets with us. The stream starts at 12 pm est | 6 pm cet. You can watch it on our Twitch Channel.

Our next community reward is a weapon design stream and we are getting close to it on three channels. Facebook, Twitter, Discord.

We are 65% funded! THANK YOU!

The community chose Crafting as today's topic. You can choose the next one!

Option 1: Open World Design - How we approach our world design

Option 2: Inspirations - What tv-shows and books inspired The Way of Wrath

Option 3: Shamans - learn more about different types of shamans in Thein culture
Crafting
6f278c513a0f5861f2dec8c6fb80c30e_original.jpg

In The Way of Wrath you are cut off from what little pieces of civilization exist in this prehistoric world.

There are no shops or merchants with whom you can trade. Everything you need you’ll have to acquire yourself. Either by looting items from the bodies of your slain enemies or by crafting them.

Crafting plays a large role in the game and it is your main tool to gain an edge in your struggle to survive in this harsh world.

Your equipment breaks down with use. (not at an annoying rate :D) You sustain the wounds in battles and you require special medicine to treat them. You need to craft traps for hunting and battles. You gain an edge in combat with special shaman tools and bombs you create.

To help you create all these items we have several kinds of crafting stations. You can build them in your fort and they’ll allow you to craft different things.

The Forge
The forge and craftsman table is a place where you'll make armor, weapons, ammunition, and tools you’ll use in the world interactions. (Woodcutting axe, ice-breaking spear, snowshoes)

717ac054d41d69e54ff87a29cda6fc8e_h264_base.jpg

Medicine Table
The medicine crafting table is where you’ll attempt to craft the often dubious, folk remedies to heal many injuries you and your allies can sustain. Herbs, animal fat, pine resin, plant mixtures, and extracts will serve as the basis for your salves, poultices, and drinkable medicine.

f4f455af5d28cbf13fb463953eb71831_original.jpg

Shaman Workshop
The shamans have their own mystical places where they craft their secret tools of war. You'll use minerals, natural oil, and plants to craft makeshift bombs, poisons, choking dust, smoking mixtures, and other more insidious shaman inventions.

Food Preparation
417a7c223dbf926310524db6e346ab4b_h264_high.jpg

And last but not least, the Thein do love to eat. So, there are several different places where you can try out your cooking skills.

The cauldron is perfect for cooking up stews with whatever bits of meat and herbs you can scavenge in the wild.

The open flames can be used to sear the meat on a skewer.

The smoking station is perfect for preserving large quantities of meat.

And if you are industrious enough you’ll discover a few more exotic methods of turning raw ingredients into delicious meals.

Crafting requires ingredients and recipes. You’ll learn many recipes as you level up, others you’ll need to learn from the characters you meet.

cd64e499054ed2f6feba5051bb679944_original.jpg

You will scavenge the world and find many different ingredients. Each requires special methods to extract. To get the rarest and precious material, the iron. You’ll need to build special furnaces and extract the metal directly from the iron-rich earth. (Old Viking Way)

The other source of very useful ingredients will come from the animals you hunt. Respecting nomadic traditions, no part of your kill will go to waste. Bones and pelts you can use to craft weapons and armor. Fat, sinew, and other body parts you can use in medicine. And the meat will keep your army well-fed and happy.

You will be making great use of everything you craft to gain an edge in your battles and to make sure your allies are well supplied with items they need to aid you.

7248ee6a3ac6a9e2667b87d3865852c6_original.gif

Indie game shoutout
Our friends from HitGrab Game Labs are working on a very cool looking Celtic inspired Action-Platformer Clan O'Conall and The Crown of The Stag. It's a Kickstarter funded project with a lovely art style and dynamic gameplay where you can swap instantly between three controllable characters. If it sounds interesting to you, you can already wishlist it on Steam.

Clan O’Conall
is a visually stunning action-platformer set in Hibernia, a land rich in Celtic Myth and Lore. Teamwork is everything as you take control of the three O’Conall siblings by way of bow, blade, and fist. Reclaim the Crown of the Stag before the mother of demons, Caoránach, plunges the world into war, and restore harmony between mortals and the faerie folk Aos Sí.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3100222

Article about Shamans, The pet design Livestream in 10 minutes!

The Pet Design Community Livestream

In 10 minutes we start Community Design Livestream where we'll design in-game pets with your comments! You are very welcome to join and share your ideas.

Shamans were chosen as today's article topic by our community. You can choose the next one!

Option 1: Open World Design - How we approach our world design

Option 2: Inspirations - What games inspired The Way of Wrath and how

Option 3: Ancient World - The story of why we chose to tell this story through the eyes of the ancient humans
Shamans
As the first thunder rolled across the land and all the people bowed their heads in terror; One looked up in wonder.

bab9eefb1eb3418945ab2dbc13e0e6f6_original.png

Fear was always a fundamental force in shaping the human perception of the world. Spawning countless myths, monsters, and beliefs. Above all else, fear of the unknown always had the greatest hold on the mind. Those who mastered this fear often became the shepherds of human fate.

In the world of The Way of Wrath, those who embrace the unknown and learn its mystical ways hold great power over common people.

Players who choose to follow this path will have unique powers and role in the game. In a fight, they can use rituals dances, and words of power to demoralize enemies or inspire allies. They are masters of healing and death. Mixing balms and healing drafts, or crafting devious poisons and traps.

It is a great sin to kill a shaman. Before they even dare take on these fearsome and mysterious foes, warriors must seek the blessings of an allied shaman, or wait for the enemy shaman to make the first strike. Those who break this rule are believed to be cursed and will be shunned by all. A clever player can use this to great advantage in battle.

63865a6e8621d6b9bee290b3adf999cb_original.png

Only a shaman can train another shaman and charges are chosen with care. They often seek children who are undaunted by Shaman's gruesome reputation and can look them in the eye without showing any fear.

To complete their training, a young shaman has to travel high up into the impenetrable mountains and climb the tallest peak. There in the blessed land above the clouds, they spend one year alone, praying in silence for wisdom and power.

In Thein culture, few different practitioners of mystical arts have taken root in the lives of the tribes.

Yarbogha
There is one kind of shaman that is unmatched in the skill of inspiring terror in their enemies. They clothe themselves in gruesome ornaments and wield the name “Yarbogha” - emissaries of death.

9bac8c9e1bdfb592cfcbe9fa5279e876_original.png

These lone wanderers travel the land and maintain a balance between Thein people and the ever-hungry death. Yarbogha judges the dead. Based on their actions and reputation in life, Yarbogha may give the soul of the deceased to the skies. Building special burial spots in places close to the sky like mountains or tall trees. The unworthy are left to rot on the ground, to be consumed by the earth. Which Thein believe to be a cannibal that devours all it gives birth to.

Yarbogha also have the sacred duty of collecting and keeping the knowledge of Thein law. And the tribe people often ask Yarbogha to sit in judgment of the unusual disputes.

Skybound
44773012c5f76e9d23725f658dfc6167_original.png

The Thein believe they come from the sky and they have been banished to walk the earth. If they lead the worthy life, their souls will be welcome back into the heavens above.

The most worthy of the Thein, who follow the old ways and customs. Those who know the terrible secrets of the world are called the Skybound. They are masters of crafting different shaman traps and devices.

Unlike, other shamans, Skybound take an active role in the Tribe life. Their word often counts more than that of a chieftain and they follow the strict customs which they also impose upon the Tribes. The Skybound wisdom and mastery of strategy has often saved Thein warriors from certain death.

With their deep connection to the skies, Skybound shaman players will be able to tame and collect a flock of birds of prey who'll follow them everywhere, signaling their approach and adding an aura of mysterious authority to their character.

Eshma
Not everyone who seeks the mysteries of the world agrees with the teachings of the Skybound. Renegade group of Shamans, who call themselves "Eshma" have gained power during the ten-year war.

They ignore the Tabbooes of the Skybound and seek power in the element of the Earth as well as the Sky.

Some of the Eshma have even managed to tame the smaller specimens of the Terrible Rathaag, and have been seen fighting alongside this mighty beast.

Both reviled and admired for their cleverness, and ingenuity, the Eshma shamans have gained tentative acceptance among the Thein people.

059a8dccfe67401622ba344f8475e49e_original.jpg

Flesh knitters, Herb-mixers, and Healers
Common folk, untrained in shaman ways are allowed to take up healing arts. They use herbs, plants, roots, animal parts, and minor rituals to heal the wounded and the sick Thein. As long as they stay away from Shaman rituals healers are welcome to live among the Tribes and are valued as a caste of artisans.

But the healer who breaks the taboos and dabbles in the Shaman arts will face their terrible fury.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3101906

Article An Ancient World inspirations, 75% funded, Tattoo community challenge closes soon!

Some News

Our tattoo contest is almost over, but you still have time to submit your entries. Keep an eye out for Fan Art Contest this week ^^

99ed4145fc8acfeb4858076e1e9cb0b1_original.jpg

A new community design stream will be coming this week! We'll post the exact date and time in the next update. This time we'll design weapons in a live stream based on your comments. Here are the pet sketches from last week's community stream. Of particular note is a Northern, Wooly, War chicken!

7c6ee46d385f1f89a428a24f8adc0c5a_original.jpg

We are 75% funded. Thank you so much! 3/4 of the journey is complete.

65d3084a2224a47fcb37a1f8f75671c0_original.jpg

The community chose Ancient world inspirations as a topic for today's article. You can choose the next ^^

Option 1: Companions - Learn more about some of the companions you can recruit in the game
Option 2: Warchief - What it means to be a Warchief in The Way of Wrath
Option 3: Open World Design - How we approach our world design

What inspired us to tell our story through the eyes of the ancient humans

b9b8d6dbd0f55fa64fe212ec80cf6675_original.jpg

During my first camping trip, I woke up in the middle of the night and I could not go back to sleep. I stayed a bit by the fire alone, and then I thought I’d get some water to boil the tea. Wandering off into the night, I planned to find a spring water spot I saw earlier in the day and I got lost.

508754565bd22deedb50d9e9dd2dc52e_original.jpg

After a few minutes, I stumbled onto an ancient ruined tower (There are a bunch of those in Georgia). It was just an hour or two left until dawn, and I decided to wait out there a bit and find my way back when the sun rose.

4268430e1f67e074412c48f2e07a731d_original.jpg

I lit a small fire with my pocket magnesium stick that friend had gifted me and huddled snuggly next to my tiny campfire. The night was pitch dark. Light from my tiny bonfire barely lit the edges of the ruined tower and the forest was alive with the sounds of the night. It did not take long for the magic of a place to take hold.

ea6f7c3402a076130a24790f81fa2a5d_original.jpg

Here is where I truly began to wonder, for the first time, what it was like to live in ages past in a world unknown and full of secrets. Many tales and questions filled my imagination. Who built this place? Who used these trails? What it would be like to travel these roads as a merchant or a nomad. I fell in love with the idea of how strange and different the world must have seemed to ancient humans who knew almost nothing of it.

Modern humans are born with a very clear picture of the universe we live in. We know the shape of the planet earth, where different countries are, what are the cultures. We have at least some understanding of the most natural phenomena. Because of this, even though I was alone in a dark forest in the middle of nowhere, I felt completely safe and grounded. And this would not have been the experience of people who came to the spot ages ago.

It struck me that I felt the same safety and “groundedness” in most fictional universes. All the detailed lore, neat explanations of every aspect of the setting, the detailed minimaps, and very structured gameplay. It made even the craziest and unpredictable settings feel safe and “pre-explored”.

1d20f9b43e1a744fddd7d873c3a4d00c_h264_base.jpg

This is how the idea for The Way of Wrath universe was born. We wanted to create a setting where players could experience the world as ancient humans did. Full of mystery and unknown. Where the lines between myth and reality are blurred.

The world is young and new civilizations are just taking their first steps. Few rudimentary agricultural kingdoms have sprung and most of the world are tribal nomads. The lands are unexplored, and knowledge is based on imagination and fears, as much as facts. Life is hard, short, and a constant struggle.

The belief systems are crude and re-interpreted in many ways. Any real unified religions are yet to be born. People believe in magic, curses, monsters, spirits.

The written word is very rare, used only to mark most important events. Technology is in many ways rudimentary; the ironwork is a secret that gives armies great advantage. Only the simple uses to harness electricity have been discovered. :)O)

Thein are very superstitious. They worship the sky and fear things of the earth. Seeing it as a cannibal devouring what it gives birth to. Their rituals are called dreams, only a shaman is allowed to instigate them. Storytelling, Drugs, hypnotic medicine, and theatrics are used to induce people into different states. Stupefy them, awaken fear or inspire courage.

b92549d2339522ef53ed2ccf824622d9_h264_base.jpg

We wanted to create a setting that is unpredictable, unknown, unsafe, and ripe for discovery. To experience the world as the ancient humans did, where nothing but your own experiences and what you see with your eyes can be trusted to be true.

Indie Game Shout Out
OVA MAGICA

Our good friend ClaudiaTheDev has a very exciting Kickstarter campaign for Ova Magica. An adorable farming and monster taming game Inspired by Stardew Valley, Slime Rancher, and beloved classics like Harvest Moon and Pokémon. It's set to come out on PC, Switch, XB1/SX, and PS4/5.

If this sounds interesting check out her campaign that shows many exciting features of this game with some awesome rewards.

Experience a colorful farm game inspired by the classics! Train cute blob creatures, take care of your farm, and make friends with the people of Clover Town.

When your mother has to move abroad for work, you end up moving back to her sleepy childhood town of Clover. Soon after, you're entrusted with an overgrown piece of land by the townsfolk, and it's up to you to turn it into the farm of your dreams!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3104173

Article about Companions, 80% funded, Tattoo contest results!

Some News

Tomorrow Keep an eye out for our big Fan Art Contest ^_^

The Tattoo Community Challenge results!

10e3dcd70cfb436b596c526e956851c0_original.jpg

Congratulations to the winners and thank you, everyone, for taking part!

This Friday, February 19th we'll have a Community Stream where we'll design weapons based on your feedback!

We made a Facebook event you can sign up for a reminder.

We are 80% funded! Almost there! Huge thank you ^_^

Community Chose the Companions as today's topic. And you can choose a topic for the next!

(Tomorrow's update will be all about the fan art contest, and the one after it will have the next article)

Option 1: Game Design Philosophy - What are our game design pillars?

Option 3: Warchief - What it means to be a Warchief in The Way of Wrath

Companions

When Thein younglings come of age. They are measured and judged by their abilities by the Tribe elders. Some are chosen to be craftsmen, artisans of different trades. Rare few children will be adopted by the shamans. Most become Earthbound, lowest caste among the Thein, destined for the most menial of labors.

And the castle most of the Thein children aspire to join are the warriors of the tribe. Those who survive the brutal training seek out and bond with other warriors to form small battle groups they call packs.

Packs are bonded for life. If too many of the pack fall in battle, the survivors are expected to travel back to their village and take an honored place as battle masters and teachers of the young.

This is a sacred duty of each warrior and can be broken only in one circumstance. When the gathering of Thein tribes marches to war, the “orphaned” packs, who have too few warriors to hold together, might “adopt” other such warriors into their pack and continue to fight for the Thein people.

You can recruit characters into your pack, your party, and they will fight by your side and aid you in exploring the dangerous world of The Way of Wrath.

You can form bonds and friendships, or rivalries with your companions. And some you can even romance.

Here are some of the characters you can “adopt” into your pack.

Nuria
f9529d104d35c06d878da11562b7fa81_original.png

“I’m Eshma. Wretched outcast, ill omen in the flesh. Bringer of bad luck. Let me fight by your side and I will burn, hack and grind your enemies into the dust. ”

An orphan of war, Nuria was adopted into a group of enigmatic renegade shamans called Eshma. Molded into a fearsome tool of war Nuria wreaks terror on the battlefield with her terrifying shaman powers.

After the Thein war was lost, Nuria had fallen out with her Eshma sisters, and she is now looking for new allies. Those who dare risk the wrath of Thein Skybound shamans by joining cause with Eshma will find Nuria to be a powerful and loyal ally.

The newfound freedom from the cause of the Eshma, has forced Nuria to question her role in the world.

Tygrid
1e9a027d85698435f6ca3663e54fb7ed_h264_base.jpg

Few are who have faced the savage fury of the primal predators and lived to tell the tale. Tygrid has made a life out of it.

His experience has kept many a young Thein hunter from ending up in the belly of the fearsome beasts. But you’ll never hear the hunter boast of his feats. Reserved, quiet, and contemplative, Tygrid feels more at home within the noble simplicity of wild nature, than amidst endless machinations of his own kind.

His habit of always telling the truth has put Tygrid at odds with many of the Tribesmen. And his love of questioning the nature of life and the universe has forced quite a few Thein to drown out the existential dread caused by his questions with some hard alcohol.

In battle, Tygrid fights with berserk savagery and cunning of the wild beasts.

Nemme
For as long as you remember Nemme has been there with you. Through countless battles and perils, she'd been one constant you could rely on.

Wild, reckless, and adventurous in her youth, Nemme has changed greatly after her daughter Saya was born. By Thein law, she should have given up her child to the Tribes, to be raised in the safety of the villages. But not even the council of elders and shamans could separate her from her child.

You watched her raise Saya through all the horrors of the ten-year war. Tearing through anything and anyone who threatened you or her daughter.

b148cb6e801a18391b2dffe651952359_original.jpg

Nabo Z’vara
Few people would choose a climax of the ten-year war as a prime time to get on top of a donkey and venture into a site of the impending massacre on a quest to chart the first map of the impenetrable northern wastes. Nabo Z’vara is one of those people.

Shrewd negotiator, accomplished trader, and a well-traveled man of the world. Nabo owes allegiance to no one but his own grand ambition to immortalize his name and legacy.

Nabo’s experience and cunning will be a true asset to your cause. As long as you can bring yourself to trust the sneaky bastard.

Samaya
8dc81fc58d46bcef57758cdc1dbc91d0_original.jpg

Young, fiercely inquisitive, and roguishly cunning Samaya was born in a world too small for her wild imagination.

She inherited all the survival skills and traditions of her tribe and pushed them to new heights with her inventions. You will find no one better to guide you through the countless dangers of the White Grave valley.

c47723fd4eba4b9d7c03f1f20893abd4_original.gif

Ever in conflict with the strict traditions of her village, Samaya is more than eager to join the free-spirited Thein and she’ll make for a valuable ally and companion. As long as you maintain her rather loose standards of code of conduct. Or as she likes to put it: “Don’t be a ****, and you’ll do fine by me.”

Indie Game Shout-Out
Our friends from Common Colors have launched a Kickstarter campaign for a beautiful and haunting Adventure Game PRIM.

PRIM
is a 2D point-and-click adventure set in the beautiful, hand-drawn Land of the Dead. The game’s Tim Burton-inspired art direction and traditional, frame-by-frame animation contribute to a dark (but lovable!) atmosphere that is at once immersive and nostalgic.

Being a teenager is tough, but it’s tougher when you’re the daughter of Thanatos, the Angel of Death. Prim’s father has forbidden her from entering the Land of the Living, but a recurring dream about a strangely familiar human boy crying out for help might just force her to break that rule – and discover whether Thanatos’ warnings were right all along.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3103642

Fan Art Contest! With Prizes!

0646075d88cf303e219b2fe42f2e6cf0_original.jpg

Welcome to The Way of Wrath RPG Fan Art Contest!

We're very excited to announce our fan art contest! To enter, submit an original design inspired by characters, lore, or the world of The Way of Wrath.

Imagine alternative Prehistoric shamanistic earth. How wild, untamed and unknown it was. Then imagine people, animals, creatures, and mythological characters and translate your ideas into a new work of art. Submissions can be in any visual medium, like physical or digital art. The single frame or multiple frames. Pixel, vector, pen and ink, graphite, sculpture, or any other visual medium. And as a bonus, we'll consider the fan music submission.

Join in and also tell your friends! Anyone can participate!

Join our Discord for questions and sharing your art with the community!

The Prizes
  • 1st Place - Physical Premium Reward Tier
3772f22c23c6fb565c38cfb09e597029_original.jpg

• 2nd Place - Physical Edition Reward Tier
e14b7472b6f22a489ac76ad82e0d9300_original.jpg

• 3rd Place - Ultimate Digital Reward Tier
6ef010461a999a582a8023433efab6cd_original.jpg

The Rules
  • The Contest ends at 12pm SET | 6 pm CET on March 4th, 2021. (In two weeks) You must submit your entry before the contest ends.
  • You can submit any number of entries, but only 1 prize can be won per person.
  • Your submission must be an original work created by you.
  • You can submit your art in our Discord channel, or on Twitter, by posting with hashtags #TheWayOfWrathRPG #TWOWFanArtContest or send it to our email info.animmal@gmail.com

Evaluation
We'll judge the entries by a 100 point scale system. Up to 50 Points for creativity, 30 Points for technique, 20 Storytelling. By entering the contest you agree that the Animmal team will decide the winners and the decision will be final and not open for disputes.

We're beyond excited to see what you will come up with and wish you the best of luck!

Some of the character references to get you inspired:

beb9e8dce6731bde5a918bacae8c4e7a_original.jpg

ec100fa944c5c1eef411156573ee98f6_original.jpg

08d3718ab96b984b86097dd7f7ec0a23_original.jpg

Indie Game Shoutout
Coral Island

Awesome folks at Stairway Games are running Kickstart Campaign for a beautiful farm sim game Coral Island. It's a re-imagined farm sim game inspired by classics. Grow crops, nurture animals, and befriend the islanders!

Coral Island
is a re-imagined farm sim game inspired by classics. Grow crops, nurture animals, and befriend the islanders. Decide whether to revitalize not only the town but also the surrounding coral reefs.

There are over 50 islanders living on Coral Island. Coming from all walks of life, get to know these people by chatting them up — extra brownie points for gifts!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3106176

Article about Warchief role and gameplay, The community livestream starting in 15 minutes!

Some news

In 15 minutes we start a live stream, where we'll design weapons based on your comments. You are very welcome to join! You can watch it here.

c01bb26cb9bf080ac82ae60cc7d493f5_original.jpg

We've already had a submission for our fan art contest! Awesome work Lootcifer!

96272c50d5e99b4751160240880117fc_original.jpg
d339889d69fe66c7bd0fd2a1d71fa6e0_original.png

and some previous fan art of The Way of Wrath character by a member of our community @ohu

b39350471f709582dce818f3da391de6_original.jpg

The community chose the player's role as a warchief as today's topic. You can choose the next!

Option 1: Game Design Philosophy - What are our game design pillars?

Option 2: Combat- More about the combat system in the game

Option 3: Open World Design- How do we approach world design?
Warchief
Being a warchief at best of times is not easy. Bearing this burden while locked in a ruined fort in a frozen wilderness and facing a certain death calls for a warchief with an iron grit.

0a299e6e6865e3c85516761dd4d2df02_original.jpg

Thein are wild, unruly, and freedom-loving people. The defeat in war weighs heavy on their hearts, and the savage cruelty of their enemies will be a true test of their will. They will look to you for leadership, protection, comfort, fair judgment.

6fbd23a71fe240bf5ef15be2b1bedad0_original.gif

Not everyone will give their trust easily, and many will challenge your decisions when your actions contradict their beliefs. If you let this behavior go on you could be facing a mutiny and might end up swinging from a rope from the towers of your own fort.

You are actions, equipment, and reputation will let you build a persona around your character. Whether you are charismatic, or terrifying. Trustworthy or a trickster. Merciful or vengeful. Upholding Thein traditions or a blazing way for new ideas.

The characters will react to your persona, based on your reputation and their personality traits. And the relationship is not one-dimensional. A traditionalist Thein might hate you for ignoring their customs, but they might be too intimidated by you to confront you. On the other hand, a character who admires you might betray you because your paths split on one foundational issue for them.

The characters also have personal stories, characteristics, and opinions. If you let your warriors freely enjoy alcohol, you might find someone passed out on their watch. But if you deny everyone the ability to drink, they might sneak away into the forest and poison themselves with makeshift moonshine they brewed in secret.

fc91da2239d811c9bcb604d4c4f64ba6_original.gif

Characters also form into factions and smaller groups inside factions. And when you favor one group this might upset another. All your actions carry weight.

But along with responsibilities comes the power. You can sit in judgment of disputes, lay down new laws and rules for the community. You can punish or exile troublesome characters and your deeds can inspire loyalty that will cut through other disagreements. The examples you lay down may transform those around you. A cowardly character may learn to be brave, a disheartened nihilist might learn to love life, naivety of youth could turn into a cold-hearted bitterness.

We love character-driven stories, and for us, the quest and activities you will encounter in your role as a leader are all about forming shared experiences with characters.

6fe040b38fd37af21ade240889471318_original.gif

How you choose to approach leadership is for you to decide. Whether you lead with an iron fist, diplomacy, or trickery is up to you, but with every choice, you make be prepared to face the consequences.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3107110

Article about combat, we're 95% funded, news about demo

Some News

We're 95% funded! Thank you so much! We're very close to our base goal and with two more weeks of the campaign to go, we're excited about stretch goals to add new gameplay, platforms, voice acting, and languages for you.

9a45714ffe7fb329b20c50c088d91700_original.jpg

Our 12th social goal has been reached and this unlocked the next community forge live stream! Where we'll design a character based on your comments. This is the first time we're creating a character in a live stream and we're very excited about what we'll come up with together ^_^

e5c5cea1d07b582f171a141f610baf22_original.jpg

Our demo will launch next week! We chose February 25th as a final date for release.

The demo will feature the prologue map of the game. You will play 1 of the 3 in-game days of the prologue map. The demo will feature a special prologue map, combat, quests, crafting, world interactions, hunting, ice-fishing, and character creation. And you'll meet some of the companions like Nemme and Nuria.

f71a497e49c6b8e2a6ea141d99664105_original.jpg

The full prologue map will be unlocked for backers with a digital copy and higher tiers of the game when we begin the Backer Beta/Early Access in the first week of April. It will feature two more days of the story, advanced quest and enemy camp mechanics, and a smaller-scale siege/base building event. (Backers will also be able to continue playing the Kickstarter demo after the Kickstarter campaign finishes. )

We'll use the prologue map, as the base to incorporate your feedback, polish features, and add new gameplay elements such as pet mechanics, and additional interactions.

Then every 3~4 months, we'll release several more in-game days of gameplay of the main game campaign. Then we'll continue the cycle of polishing the game, incorporating your feedback, and adding new features, and unlocking more in-game days and locations.

If you'll choose console keys for your game option, we'll provide you with a temporary pc key to play the betas before console versions become available.

5946d1c23110b094675953a707c71181_original.jpg

Our community chose the combat topic for this update. Choose the next one ^^

Option 1: Equipment Design - More about how the art for the equipment is the design and what kind of weapons and armors you'll see in the game

Option 3: Game Design Philosophy - What are our game design pillars?
Combat
c1238e61ca10a1cf580f0802c6d4883d_original.png

The combat in The Way of Wrath is turn-based and tactical. You control a party of 4 characters, as you fight against opponents using different weapons, skills, traps, and other tools of war. The fighting is fast & lethal, and you must make smart tactical choices to survive the challenges you face.

(Our first stretch goal, is focused on introducing additional combat mode with Real Time with pause gameplay)

We handcraft each battle in The Way of Wrath. Level design and AI is fine-tuned for each environment to create memorable and unique challenges for the player.

Battles are difficult and extort a heavy toll on the player. Equipment is damaged with use, wounds incurred can take days to heal, allies can die.

With clever play and thorough exploration, players can turn the odds in their favor. If the enemy is in a well-defended position you could draw some of them out on a fake mission and kill them in an advantageous terrain. Or arrange for them to capture a batch of alcohol and attack them when they are drunk. Or play on their superstitions and lower their morale.

Tactics and preparation play a huge role in the game.

Combat in RPGs can be brilliant fun when done right. Powerful depth to challenge our minds, diverse skills to spark creative experimentation as we take on tactical challenges, and tension and excitement enough to rival any action game.

As with everything in our game. First, we sat down and thought hard on what made us love the combat in great classical games that do this gameplay justice. We combined our findings with our own ideas to create combat design pillars for our game:

4d0b86a2f793688e571515adc386058f_h264_base.jpg

Our Base Design Pillars For Interesting Combat
  • Tactical Depth – A large number of meaningful actions available at one time during a combat turn.
  • Diverse Builds – RPG system to support different play styles.
  • Mechanical Depth - Status effects, buffs, debuffs.
  • Mechanically Diverse Enemies – Unique features and gameplay approaches, to make opponents stand out.
  • Combos – Previous actions and current actions can be used to produce stronger results.
  • Tradeoffs - skills must have a positive and negative side(high AP cost, exposure to danger, Risk & Reward)there should not be skills that are universally good without something to balance it out to avoid flat gameplay.
  • Meaningful, Story cohesive encounters – less is more.
7d9ece29b1051ff2f71211b163905aa5_original.jpg

We want to focus on meaningful encounters with a lot of reactivity, tactical freedom, and mechanical depth.

We also wanted the combat to feel tense, dynamic, fast. We are often asked what we mean by fast-paced turn-based combat. To us, this has to do partly with removing everything that makes combat a routine. Like long animation, extra menus, and screens, complicated controls, lack of feedback.

Partly, controlling health & damage progression ratio to keep actions dangerous and tense.

And the rest is about perception. Combat becomes slow and boring when it turns into a routine or when it’s not clear what choices you have to counter the challenges before you. When you are in the heat of well balanced, challenging battle. You are pitted against interesting opponents and you have several exciting, yet dangerous choices you can make, combat feels fast, dynamic, and exciting. Whether turn-based or Real-time with a pause or even real-time. How engaging the battle is for our minds plays a huge role in how fast the combat feels.

We remember our fights in Baldur’s Gate 2 or Divinity OS 2 almost like epic movie scenes, where we dodged what felt like certain death at every turn and our triumph felt well earned and glorious.

This is the ideal against which we seek to measure each part of our combat mechanics as we balance our gameplay and incorporate your feedback. Skills must create new interesting choices. Mechanics must have enough depth to be challenging and adaptable, but also clear enough so all that depth is not buried under mountains of hard-to-understand stats. AI must be smart enough so each turn you are presented with a number of interesting choices to make.

b68456facac3d4780c6e2be81b4a0ee0_h264_base.jpg

Beyond mechanics, our combat is also very interwoven with the story. Every battle is handcrafted and tweaked to reflect the personality of the characters you fight. Fighting elite honorable soldiers will feel different from fighting ruthless and devious scouts.

Enemy factions are not a faceless antagonistic force. Every enemy is a character with their own stories and motivations. Players can use this to their advantage. Observing and interacting with enemy characters will reveal many possibilities to sabotage, divide and misdirect enemy efforts. You can pit enemy sub-factions against each other, blackmail characters into spying for you, or feed them false information and lure them in traps.

You will have dozens of skills, battle-oriented items, traps, tools to even the odds against powerful enemies. Often you’ll have a chance to sabotage and weaken enemy camps even before any fighting starts.

From simple stuff like poisoning enemy food supplies to masterful feats like spying on enemy characters and constructing personal horrors shows with your shaman to destroy their morale.

Along with the backer story beta/early access, we'll have a special combat-focused survival arena game mode, which will allow us to test out and balance new skills, test new features, and improve our AI.

You might also be interested in our previous update, where talked about character creation and skill trees.

Indie Game Shout Out
Viking Vengeance

Our good friends from Low Poly Interactive are working on an ARPG Viking Vengeance, where you can turn into avatars of the Norse Gods during battles and wield Thor’s hammer, use Loki's mischief skills, or Odin's power to crush your enemies.

If this sounds exciting to you, you can already wishlist the game on steam.

Viking Vengeance
is a Rogue-lite Dungeon Crawler ARPG set in a religiously oppressed medieval world. You play as a Templar with pagan origins who rediscovers his roots and learns to wield the powers of the Norse Gods forever changing the destiny of his people.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3107984

WE DID IT TOGETHER! ✨ From the bottom of our hearts THANK YOU! Our game is 100% funded!

Dear Players,

YOU HAVE MADE OUR DREAM COME TRUE!

dbfdf113d805a05a1b74ab47504ea276_original.jpg

It's impossible to put into words how excited and grateful we are to have your support and to share this game development journey with you. You are amazing! And we are so lucky to have you on board for this adventure.

You made it possible for us to stay true to our vision and create The Way of Wrath the way we always hoped. A fully-fledged, interactive, and innovative RPG designed with an amazing community of RPG players.

Let's make a kickass game together!

Stretch Goals
Our campaign ends in 13 days and our base goal is fully funded. Now, all the additional funds will unlock cool new content for everyone!

There are so many cool things we can do together! We are very excited about bringing the game to Nintendo Switch and other consoles! Real-Time with Pause combat addition, new languages, more companions, and expansions, and other exciting secrets hiding behind mystery stretch goals!

eb7f0090414bd3ca47ff9cccee225a03_original.jpg

Now begins our journey to unlocking stretch goals and creating a richer game for everyone. Together we can do it!

But tonight, we are simply grateful to have come this far with your help, and let's celebrate!

Warchiefs on The Thein we salute you! You are the best!

The Way of Wrath Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3108020

Article about Equipment Design, Stretch Goals, Fan Art Contest

Some News

Two days ago our project's base goal was 100% funded. ✨(THANK YOU!)

All the additional funds we receive from now on will go directly into adding more cool functionality to the game and unlocking more platforms, languages, voice acting, and more mystery goals.

Our first two stretch goals are:

Real-Time with Pause Combat
Turn-based and RTwP some of the most popular combat styles in classic tactical RPGs. We want to bring this additional combat style as a choice for you to pick when you start the game. We plan to do proper support for both combat styles, with dedicating skill tree, level design, and AI work.

Nintendo Switch Release
Nintendo Switch is our first target console and we believe our game would make for a perfect fit for it. We have listened to your many comments and we share your excitement about playing our game the switch. This is something that simply must happen and we are now working very hard and exploring every option to make this a reality.

We need to reach as many players as we can to make many stretch goals possible. Your help in this would be amazing. You can help us by sharing our game and telling your friends and communities about it. We created this folder with art and videos you can use if you plan to share our game. Together we can do this!

6fb5fc4d7f7c520cbe182247ac33f859_original.jpg

70a3fb811351f329a8b290f286bfc269_original.jpg

A few days ago we started the first official fan art contest for The Way of Wrath, you can participate with any form of art, traditional digital media, or even music. We already got a few submissions in our discord channel and it's amazing seeing your work!

To learn more about Fan art contest and the prizes please see this update.

Our community chose Equipment Design as the next topic. To vote you can write a comment here or vote on our discord channel.

db1669998a2f49cb2c0f4f443ecdbe13_original.png

Option 1: Open World Design - Our approach to world design

Option 2: Inspirations - What games inspired The Way of Wrath and how

Article about Equipment Design
In The Way of Wrath, iron and bronze are very rare. The full iron weapon is akin to a mystical artifact and would mark its bearer a legend.

9d0b0f2c5c40d3e6ade0f3a66dba2342_original.gif

Instead, the warriors learn to use any material they can find in nature and shape it into fearsome weapons and armor.

Wood, bones, animal pelts, volcanic shards of glass, and even plain old rocks can be turned into the tools of war in the hands of a skilled craftsman.

These materials are however fragile and experienced warriors take care to always scavenge for more resources and craft new gear.

23717ae1eceb9f0aa46e482e74c5e54d_original.gif

This is how our armors and equipment are made. Watch our dev-diary where our art-director guides you through the armor creation process. How is the armor designed, what considerations go into its conception? How artistic vision has to work together with game-design and try to be grounded in the reality of the game setting.

2c4b75bfc93cae0b003930fcdc4ad337_h264_base.jpg

Indie Game Shoutout
Humans Took My Neighbors!

Our friend and Solo Indie Dev Carlos from the Heron Games, is running a campaign for his game Humans Took My Neighbors!. It is a top-down action game, set in a world of monsters who are trying to stop the human invasion.

The game is inspired by classic SNES and mega drive top-down games, and especially some of my favorite games Zombies Ate my Neighbors and 2D Zelda. Developed by one guy looking to create a fun and exciting adventure with a touch of humor and challenge.

The game has 66 hours left and if this sounds interesting, you can check out the campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3112064

Article about open world design, backer and public beta sign up forms and details

Some News

Community Forge Stream - Character Design

We've unlocked a new community reward and This Sunday in a live stream we'll design a character based on your comments!

554d23ee941ed30d8a166077702269f7_original.jpg

We have one more Social Reward left to unlock and it will be the quest design. Really interesting how that will turn out!

997c40036e95a29f1802ebe431da4ab7_original.jpg

Fan Art Submissions

We are getting Fan Art submissions in Discord ^_^ You still have time to participate. See details in our update.

76ed265d1d6d26b2cf0c808d23bc8aeb_original.jpg

Game Demo

Our demo release is almost nigh! We plan to release it in two stages. The public demo will launch on Monday and will be available via Steam. We'll post public demo details on Monday.

And we're having a closed demo for you, our backers before that. As a thank you, for your support we want you to have a first look at our game.

We planned to release the backer demo today but decided to spend one more day playtesting and polishing everything up so you can have a great experience on your first playthrough.

As, such we'll release the demo on Saturday, and you'll have a weekend to play the game before everyone else.

You can sign up for the backer beta by filling this form.

(Or you can send us a message here on Kickstarter)

We'll send you a key before the game goes live, so you can preload the game if you like.

The community chose open-world design as a topic for this update. You can choose the next!

Option 1: Branching Character Stories - How will this feature work?

Option 2: Arena Mode - More details on the free additional game mode that will be included in The Way of Wrath

Open World Design
We want to build a world where it’s interesting to explore every nook and cranny, and it’s fun to get lost in. It’s not an easy task to accomplish and we had to think hard on the world design.

We took to heart the lessons from some of the most fun game worlds to explore and their masterfully craft open world maps. Like Gothic, Skyrim, Legend of Zelda.

1d20f9b43e1a744fddd7d873c3a4d00c_h264_base.jpg

We discovered that rather than giant landscapes and repeatable content we loved more hand-crafted, smaller worlds that you could really get to know intimately. Worlds that you could explore without the need for constant hand-holding, without the need for overly busy hud and minimap full of icons to make sense of it. Things that took away from the sense of discovery and player’s control over their own gameplay.

So what would it take to make a game map where the player could explore and understand the world without UI dictating every step?

First, the scale had to be manageable. It’s no fun to explore every inch of a giant open field with nothing there to do and no mental markers to help you separate areas of the map. At some point, the map becomes too big and we start only paying attention to major points of interest. Effectively making a map like a giant empty sea, where meaningful activity only happens on small islands scattered around this wilderness.

So we chose to make a smaller, hand-crafted world where we could make each area unique and memorable.

6aaffc143fe6d29169964f673a9da27b_h264_base.jpg

Second, it would have to be possible to navigate and remember the map without the need for a detailed minimap or a world map.

To accomplish this we made sure the map had focal points, large and iconic areas around which you could orient yourself and get your bearings.

We also made sure to make each area memorable and different. This is done by making sure there is something different about each repeating landmark.

e599173d284b0861da40750597b5c9f0_h264_high.jpg

For example, If one cave is an animal den hidden in a narrow canyon and another cave is an ancient dwelling hidden behind a waterfall and covered by wall paints, it becomes easy to distinguish areas.

Another example is how we handle the points where two or three paths diverge. If you come upon a flat crossroads in a flat forest where each direction looks the same it’s easy to get lost. If one path leads up to rocky mountains, another down into a lush forest and the third is a cobbled road leading to an ancient fort, it becomes easier to explore areas without getting too lost.

Third, there would have to be a structure and consistency to how the world is built. You can’t enjoy getting to know the world if what you learned in one area is thrown out the window in the next. This just kills the fun of experimentation and discovery. We made sure to think through how and where we place each interactive item. Where different animals will roam, where the different plants grow and how you can interact with the environment, everything needs to be placed meaningfully. So you can learn these things and use them to your advantage.

d2461a063cdd14fbbbd15f0ef1f152a9_h264_base.jpg

Fourth, the world would need to have many meaningful interactions. There are many very beautiful game worlds, but after a while of roaming the sights if there is nothing meaningful in them to do, the worlds just become empty decorations. We introduced survival mechanics, hand-crafted dynamic quests, and environmental interactions to make sure everything you do in the world has a real impact on your progression. Even one simple healing plant can be the difference between life and death in the harsh landscapes of The Way of Wrath.

It’s a hard balancing act on game design. And we plan to work hard and listen to player feedback, to achieve that magical balance where there is enough freedom for players to really take charge of their gameplay, but enough structure for the experience to have the meaningful depth of the hand-crafted game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3115572

Our Final Week! Warchiefs, let the glory be with us! And let's have some fun!

Whoa! ✨(ノ°ο°)ノ✨

This is it! We've come far on this epic journey, met so many of you amazing people (and your pets!) Now begins our last week on Kickstarter. Saturday, Midnight EST is the Grand Finale!

a3fc137b7f15992ed383e8809c93bcc9_original.jpg

The battle for stretch goals is on and we need your help to spread the word and unlock new goals!

With your aid, we can reach more goals to unlock new features for everyone and you can help us tremendously by sharing our campaign on social media, telling your friends who love games like ours, and telling about us in your gaming communities or to streamers you watch. Together we can do this!

This week is also a week to have some fun! We're going to be streaming a lot this week. We have two community rewards (character & quest design stream), developer commentary playthrough, and many more events coming up. ]

New Intermediate Stretch Goal!
To celebrate our very popular "Design a pet" reward tier and your many adorable pets that will become part of our game, we decided to add an intermediate stretch goal with advanced pet mechanics. At 30k Euro we'll unlock:

98fca4b4a485533afda3ed363c6d6e07_original.jpg

One thing that could really boost our campaign is our epic tiers. We are starting a "Late Bird" up to -40% discount on our epic tiers to celebrate our final week of the Kickstarter campaign.

b282a1eae3d9bd661fca911c6a935f78_original.jpg

The Mythic is an especially exciting tier. It's essentially a lifetime cameo character appearance in our setting.

"Join the likes of Lord British, Elminster, Bellegar, and Gandalf. Your character will appear in every game, book, tv-series, comics, movie that will ever be made in The Way of Wrath universe. This is a chance to become a legend. "

Can you help us find our Mythic? ✨Who would you love in this role?

Demo News

4a0c8d7f2f454c558a01729f8e2b9d5a_original.jpg

We originally planned to launch the demo on the 27th for you. The playtests revealed issues and we've been working nonstop all through the weekend and today to work through them ASAP. The end now looks in sight and as soon as we have fixed them we'll post an update. We're very excited to share the game with you.

A huuuuuuuge thank you to everyone for supporting us in this and for cheered us in Discord and comments. It meant the world for us to read those comments over the weekend. You are amazing!

Our community chose Branching Character Stories as the topic for this article. You can choose the next!

Option 1: Fort Management - More about fort management gameplay

Option 2: Story - More about the main storyline and themes of the game

Option 3: Game Design Philosophy - Pick this for Lars
Branching Character Stories
111abaea96dad9bf8a362d420e83f313_original.gif

We love character conflict-driven stories that are grounded in the reality of the game world. TV series Deadwood being one of our favorite examples. And we wanted to do something special with this type of storytelling in our game.

aae8f834400232417468470ede70f050_original.gif

We explored this idea and made every character, friend or foe, in the game a “Story NPC”. Named characters with their own dynamic story, motivations, and personality.

We combined this idea with our interactive day passage, this led us to the unique and very fun story branching mechanics.

3e6074e7b891a731d097c656fc2a83a1_original.gif

Each character “leads their own life” and follows their own story. They strive to achieve personal goals, react to players’ actions, grieve lost comrades, plan revenge and compete with other characters.

Each game day individual characters, or groups of closely related characters, will get a new branching story event based on what happened the previous days.

6fbd23a71fe240bf5ef15be2b1bedad0_original.gif

All the quests are character conflict-driven, with very human stories and we try to avoid the “hero please solve my problems” premises as much as we can.

The lack of generic NPCs like guards, miners, etc. brings one more important new dynamic to the table. You will need to employ your allies, ‘real people’, to gather resources and defend your outposts. As a consequence, many characters will die during the course of the game. Other characters will react to this and the death of one character often unlocks new story paths for others.

Enemy factions are not a faceless antagonistic force either. Every enemy is a character with their own stories and motivations. You can use this to your advantage when you play, by observing and interacting with enemy characters you will uncover many possibilities to sabotage, divide and misdirect your foes.

We are very excited about his way of telling character stories and we look forward to your feedback during Special Backer Early Access.

7248ee6a3ac6a9e2667b87d3865852c6_original.gif

Indie Game Shoutouts
Kinder World

Today we want to share a very interesting game by Lauren from Lumi Interactive.

Kinder World
is a mobile game of houseplants, healing, and practicing kindness. Take care of your plants and yourself in a relaxing and lush atmosphere of your own design, completing daily acts of self-love that make the world a kinder place.

Players nurture their plants in-game by nurturing themselves in the real world, completing evidence-based wellbeing exercises like stretching, breathing, and expressing gratitude.

If this sounds interesting, Kinder World is now live on Kickstarter and you can check the campaign.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Only 4 days left to support The Way of Wrath #RPG on #Kickstarter! And get a game with a special Kickstarter price and other awesome rewards.

We're very close to our first stretch goal! We need your help to spread the word!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3115601

Article about fort management, community forge live stream, fan art contest ends in two days

4 days till the Grand Finale

The finale of our campaign is getting closer, and now more than ever we need your help to spread the word about our campaign! We made a new Media Page if you like to share a word about us, you'll find many images, gifs, and screenshots here. Together we can do it ^_^

And if you know a streamer who might be interested in our game, please drop us a link!

Supporter Banner
As a small token of thank you for your amazing support, we'll make a new physical banner with all your names on it. It will hang in our office for everyone to see and whenever possible, we'll take it with us to gaming events. Who knows maybe we'll meet up in real-life on one of the gaming events and there it'll be. The epic supporter banner.

Community Forge Stream - Character Design

Tomorrow, March 3rd, 12 PM EST, 6 PM CET we'll host our fourth Kickstarter community stream and we'll design an in-game character based on your suggestions!

You can sign up for our Facebook event, to get a reminder.
Fan Art Contest
You have two more days to send in the submissions for our fan art contest! It can be a work in any visual medium or a music piece.

The prizes for the contest are:

The Prizes
  • 1st Place - Physical Premium Reward Tier
3772f22c23c6fb565c38cfb09e597029_original.jpg

• 2nd Place - Physical Edition Reward Tier
e14b7472b6f22a489ac76ad82e0d9300_original.jpg

• 3rd Place - Ultimate Digital Reward Tier
6ef010461a999a582a8023433efab6cd_original.jpg

Our community chose Fort Management as a topic for this update. You can choose the next!

Option 1: Survival - More about survival elements

Option 2: Story - More about the main storyline and themes of the game

Option 3: Game Design Philosophy - Pick this for Lars

Fort Management
3f299b2c58c7f65ec4206133bd676947_original.gif

You are the commander of the resistance and your people will look up to you to guide them through the epic siege to come.

Your main pillar of defense in these efforts is an old fortress. At first, it is a ruined, ragged place, and the morale of your allies is at its lowest. There is no shelter, food, or much of a hope of surviving what is to come. People huddle in nooks and crannies amidst collapsed towers and buildings, shunning company and dreaming of warmth while freezing to their deaths.

13987e9c6110da06cfaa1e5e18d08ec8_h264_high.jpg

Through the player’s effort, things can be turned around. At first, you must capture outposts in the wilderness and start gathering natural materials like wood, clay, bronze, iron.

You can use materials in crafting and in special building projects. Through which you can repair your defenses, build traps, and siege equipment. You can improve outposts, and unlock access to special areas by clearing rubble or building new bridges.

The story of The Way of Wrath is told through time. Days to be precise. Each new day in the game is a story turn that advances the state of the world and the Fort is one place where this advancement is most felt.

Each project takes time to complete. And you need to assign your allies to build them. The story is part of each activity in The Way of Wrath and all the characters have their agendas. Nothing is as simple as giving an order through the UI screen.

eadfd086ddbec5c6e23454034e04c76a_h264_base.jpg

Making sure allies follow through with instruction given to them will be a constant concern for the player. Simple jobs can turn into several day-long quests, and morale, discipline, personalities, and competencies of the allies who are assigned the tasks can have serious consequences.

5793f61c1d3be6b23562c687620c71ac_h264_base.jpg

Progress on the Fort and recruitment of new allies unlocks many activities, quests, and experiences. From different crafting stations like a furnace, medicine mixing table, and shaman circle, open flame cooking or brewing stews in pots, to dueling ring and various minigames you can play with companions. Decorating your quarters with trophies, capturing animals for your farm pens. There are a lot of fun things to do.

717ac054d41d69e54ff87a29cda6fc8e_h264_high.jpg

Get to know your allies over the campfire, share food & drinks, and play mini-games.

Clear rubble, fix the roofs, light the fires and create shelters. Food, alcohol, and the warmth of fires can bring people together. Progress on the defenses and player’s acts of valor can inspire hope.

(Or perhaps harsh disciple and tyrannical order will be what gets the job done?) From a desolate and grim place, you can transform your fort into a formidable bastion, with strong allies at your side ready to battle the enemy to the last breath.

Indie Game Shout out
Kapia

Our friend Anna from 2for2 studio is creating a Kickstarter-funded adventure game telling the story of a small girl and her grandfather in a funky-apocalyptic world.

Solve puzzles, play mini-games, interact with eccentric characters to unveil the mystery of the KAPIA. If this sounds interesting you can wishlist Kapia on Steam.

Liquidation
Our friends from Kiwi Brothers Studio are working on an exciting tactical fantasy RTS.

LIQUIDATION
a tactical RTS in which you take the role of a Deity to bring back balance to the devastated and war-torn world of Veá.

It's scheduled to launch a Kickstarter Campaign soon and you can follow the pre-launch page here on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3118236

Nintendo Switch confirmed, Livestream in one hour!

Nintendo Switch
54eb775b140d542a154ba5c35ddf6df1_original.jpg

We are very excited that there is such a great interest in Nintendo Switch and we decided to confirm this platform. Here is our plan on how to make this happen.

#1) We had a huge publisher interest in porting the game on all three consoles. We spoke with many publishers last week, and there are a few that we liked and we are pursuing a possible partnership.

#2) The stretch goal is still the best, fastest way to make a Nintendo Switch port for us. Hopefully, we'll reach it during Kickstarter, but we were contacted by Indiegogo, giving us a very interesting option to continue raising funds through their in-demand campaign to unlock stretch goals. We decided to take them up on this offer.

#3) And finally, a more solid backup option. We'll fund the Nintendo Switch release from our PC game sales. This option comes with the caveat, that the Nintendo Switch release would be delayed by 4~6 months after the PC version is released.

We always wanted to release The Way of Wrath on Nintendo Switch and we are very happy with the amount of interest from you to play on this platform. So, we are going to make this happen!

Livestream
Our live stream starts in 1 hour! We'll design a character based on your comments! You can join us on Twitch.

Fan Art Contest
You have one more day to submit fan-art contest entries! See details here.

And sharing with you our newest submission from Baloo.

955772d6570350719a584954b3d34c95_original.png

Game Demo
We have resolved almost all the issues now and the launch is very near for the Backer demo. Stay tuned for the update when it's live!

71d6bd5a0c5f75e45a1c0b62a856640d_original.jpg

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
xhz9uFG.jpg

Hey Everyone! It's the Final 9 hours of our Kickstarter Campaign, we are at the moment 145% Funded and only €1600 away from Real-Time with Pause combat stretch goal! (Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity)
(This stretch goal also allows many improvements to the Turn-Based combat version, as we'd have a chance to upgrade AI navigation, animations, look & feel and add a few more "physical" abilities. Like pushing enemies away etc. )

If you want to support us, there is still time. And we got some exclusive rewards, early game access, physical editions and if you wanted to try your hand to design weapons, characters or quests in an RPG game, we got those tiers too.

I'm gonna leave a Kickstaster video here

Cheers!
The game dev.

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
Yep! Part of the challenge you have allies unused to settled life, have to adapt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3120577

Last 36 hours! - Pets stretch goal unlocked, Real-Time Combat Next!

Last 36 hours!

Greetings warchiefs!

What an adventure!

It's been 32 days of our campaign and together we have achieved so much! At the time of writing, we are 131% funded, The new Pets stretch goal is unlocked! We are within reach of Real-Time with the Pause stretch goal and all our community rewards are unlocked ^_^ THANK YOU!

60f49c0cc03ccaec9454fbbf3745e884_original.jpg

Every time I'm about to take on some important challenge in life or step into the unknown. I like to read this quote from the favorite fantasy book from my childhood.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

We are so happy we took a step on this road and met all of you! Now, with your support, we have the chance to make The Way of Wrath how we always wanted. A community drive, rich role-playing game where we can fully realize our vision.

We can't wait to get started on the development again and make for you an amazing adventure!

THE GRAND FINALE - Community Boss Challenge
7f1ae43c35ff99a8539806541c2b8d4d_original.jpg

But our Kickstarter journey is not yet over. We have 36 hours left and we have a chance to make the Real-Time with pause Combat stretch goal a reality. Since you have done an amazing job unlocking all our community rewards, we once again turn to you to make our campaign finale epic.

Introducing to you Community Boss Challenge! We have prepared two posts on Facebook & Twitter, and the goal of the challenge is simple. If both posts combined have more than 200 shares we'll unlock the final community reward!

An in-game Hero Monument that will have all the names of the backers with credited as tier etched on its surface. You will also be able to click on the monument to see your name in the list of backers that will appear in a special UI window.

cb74ef5f994c368d3005d4b9354e8573_original.jpg

We salute you chieftains!

Updated FAQ
We have updated FAQ section with new details. Since we confirmed the Switch Release we have an especially important update is about Physical rewards for the console version. Which will include the digital key of the game inside the box and not a physical cartridge. The full explanation in the FAQ item.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3122059

The campaign ends in 3 hours, Real-time Combat unlocked and Livestream!

Oh, Boy!

Only 3 hours left before our campaign ends and all we can do is just sit here in amazement at your incredible support and generosity. THANK YOU! You are amazing!

We want to invite you to a live-stream to celebrate with us this incredible journey. 30 minutes before the Campaign ends join us in a live-stream on Twitch. Let's greet the Grand Finale together!

Stretch Goal Unlocked
The Real-Time Combat will now be part of the game!

4843473873a4f0f5f182ccb63908c48e_original.jpg

The technical improvement it will introduce in AI, handling and new ability types of abilities will also improve Turn-Based combat. Whichever model you prefer, this is great news!

New Stretch Goal
Introducing the next stretch goal:

808c1f67d5a32b7a862206613f6a5103_original.jpg

We'll have one more update today after the campaign ends!

Indie Game Shoutout

Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness

If love RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate, or Icewind Dale, we highly recommend checking out an interesting Kickstarter funded project, Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness, an isometric, party-based real-time-with-pause RPG set in the Kingdom of Isilmerald in a world infested by greed and envy

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3122170

We did it together!

THANK YOU!

What a day! What a journey! This is surreal ^_^

76691abd53e582a861c1dbe6ec2f9da2_original.jpg

In just one month you have changed our lives forever and we are filled with immense gratitude, and a sense of responsibility and focus to create for you an amazing game.

You are amazing!

The Kickstarter campaign has ended, but a new larger journey has begun!

The Way of Wrath from day one was imagined to be a community-driven development game.

In April, we'll officially start the Backer Early Access. With a full prologue chapter and in Summer we'll follow up with Main Campaign day 1-3 gameplay. With new story installments following each 3~4 months.

Each big update is meant as a working ground to listen to your ideas, iterate upon the game and improve it with your feedback.

In the beginning, the Beta will be on PC and Windows. Over time we'll add more platforms as it becomes possible.

Our update Plans

We want to give you the option to decide with what frequency you prefer to see the updates. We'll use Kickstarter updates to post important announcements + game progress updates each month.

In our community groups and social platforms, we'll post more frequent updates.

We encourage you to join our communities in a platform that is most comfortable for you to take part in more daily activities and hear more frequent development updates.

Discord Channel | Facebook Group | Our Twitter Page | Steam Forum

And we know many of you might prefer the coziness of a dedicated game forum, and we are looking into making this happen. On the forum, you will have roles similar to Discord roles.

Rewards, Special tiers

Starting Next week, we'll set up a BackerKit Pledge manager for managing addresses, surveys, choosing platforms, and the other details.

All backers who pledged for a tier that comes with a custom reward to create something in-game like Design a Pet, Weapon, NPC. over the next few days we will contact you personally and start the process!

Playstation & X-Box, Voice Acting, Translations, and Other stretch goals

We mentioned in the previous update that IndieGoGo has reached out to us to start an InDemand campaign to make more stretch goals a reality. We are going to set up that next week and work on unlocking more stretch goals for everyone.

We'll also continue negotiations with console publishers and update you as soon as we have new information on additional platforms.

Thank You and let's make an epic game together!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
A lot of stuff, lemme copy highlights.
Two new Stretch Goals have been unlocked post KS, courtesy of Late Pledge backers.
YaI8r4m.png

The game successfully built on Nintendo Switch, but there is a lot of work left on optimization.

16192f1440fa.gif

UI & Feel improvements, Gameplay system improvements have been the focus of the past month of dev.

26eb43790d8f.gif

4ca4204d80ad.gif

The Backer Early Access will start soon. The demos will be released in sections/chapters. Prologue, Main campaign Days 1-3, 4-7, 8-?
Each chapter will have 3 different polish levels (Alpha/Bronze)(Beta/Silver)(Release Candidate/Gold)
So players can choose how soon they want to jump in vs how polished they want the experience.
We'll start these demos as Backer only, and there will be occasional public playtests later.

Our discord now has more options to join development. Share interesting articles, ideas, factoids.
f01jQD6.png

And for anyone in a creative mood, there is one more week left for our Community Challenge.

3exA6QQ.png

Write your own world creation myth from the perspective of the ancient human.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3214346

The Way of Wrath RPG - Kickstarter Update #2

Hello Warchiefs!

We have a new Kickstarter Update! We'll go over recently added features, the news about Bronze Demo, and share some of the game's inspirations.

What we have been working on
As we got near to completing the first bronze demo of the prologue, we took a little step back to evaluate the demo and lay down the final plans on how we would approach Early Access Production.

We made a list of gameplay features that we felt were essential to fix before starting the Early Access, and we arranged other features on the production timeline.

And then we worked on fixing and implementing the gameplay features that should ship with the first EA demo. This included more than 500 changes/fixes and below you can find some highlights.

Mastery System
We mentioned this before in the updates as a possible iteration on exploration skills, but after a lot of thought, we decided this was something we needed to test in the first demo shared with you.

The non-combat activities will get their own progression system. Hunting, Fishing, Herbmixing, Crafting, and Cooking will now become Mastery Skills.

Each mastery skill will have its own experience bar and levels. Each time you perform the activity associated with these skills, you'll gain skill experience. (Similar to how skill progression works in games like The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. )

For example, when you cook the food you gain cooking experience, crafting an item gives you crafting experience, and so on.

fb237607701514e7919399d9e1cee4c8_original.jpg

A work in progress mockup of the mastery window. Not final.

This is the basic way to gain experience in these skills. But, the main reason we are excited about Mastery System is in special challenges you can perform to gain a large experience boost. These challenges come in many shapes: Story Quests, Achievement/Trophy style tasks, Exploration Challenges, and secrets.

Leveling up a mastery skill will allow you to take on more difficult and rewarding activities, and it will also unlock new skills and perks.

With the mastery system, we want to make exploration more rewarding, activities more fun and in general, improve the impact each player interaction has on their progression and immersion into the game world.

The combat progression will still use a classic skill tree, where you unlock new skills with skill points you gain from leveling up.

But we are also considering introducing additional depth to combat by creating some combat-based mastery skills.

This could take shape of skills based on playing style. Aggressive, Defensive, Trickster. It could be broken down to weapon types your character wields. For example, the more you use swords and other similar weapons, the more sword-related features you'd unlock to make your weapon choice more meaningful.

This is something we are still brainstorming and you are welcome to send us your thoughts and ideas on this.

Wound System
The way we handle damage, healing, wounds, and environmental hazards have gone through many iterations. And we feel we found a nice balance between complexity, fun, and impactfulness with the newest iteration.

We settled on a smaller number, of multistage wounds that take multiple steps to heal and that reward exploration and experimentation.

When your character will fall in battle, suffer through extreme environmental hazards, or has bad experiences in story encounters they will gain wounds.

Wounds are a serious business, and they will have a noticeable impact on your gameplay. Untreated wounds can deteriorate into a version of wound or disease with severe penalties, and treated wounds can sometimes take days to heal.

Wounds are treated with medicine, which is very often inspired by real-world folk cures.

Special activities you can find in the game world (Taking hot/cold baths) can speed up the healing of the treated wounds. (Or delay them.)

Very superstitious Thein will also be happy to share with you many mystical and unusual treatments to heal your ailments. You'll have to use your best judgment when choosing which healing methods you want to try.

New interaction System
We used to have a modular interaction system, where each item could have any number of possible interactions, and when you hovered a mouse on an item in the game world, the icons for the possible interactions would show up. This worked great for complex story items that had multiple possible interactions (Use, Take, Examine). But it was kind of a chore for items with one possible interaction like picking up loot or harvesting plants.

283c9f03213425e92380805959bac48c_original.gif

OLD SYSTEM

You had to first move the mouse cursor over the interactive object, then move the mouse cursor to the interaction icon. We changed this to a dual system, where if the item has single interaction you can directly click on an interactive object in the world, and if it has multiple interactions the UI icons with choices will show up.

e1fa133b58e68c30de7b501c5573b934_original.gif

NEW INTERACTIONS

This is one of the many such game development iterations that happens a lot during game development. While stuff like this can seem trivial, often small details like these can have a significant impact on how enjoyable basic gameplay interactions are.

What are the big features coming in later updates?
The bronze demo of the prologue we'll be starting with will include the day 1 gameplay of the 3 in-game days of the prologue. With quests, exploration, crafting, combat, hunting, trapping, and other features.

The first big update to follow the bronze demo will introduce days 2 & 3 of the prologue map, along with a new area. First large choice-driven quests, and the smaller scale siege/base building gameplay that happens at the end of the prologue map. The shaman combat tree and Yarbogha shaman origin will also be unlocked with a full prologue demo.

After the full prologue demo, we'll be focusing on adding the big features unlocked thanks to you! We'll start with the pet system and continue with real-time combat and the new navigation/pathfinding system. Full gamepad support is also expected to ship at the same time as the pet system.

In parallel with all of this, we'll be finishing the first section of the main campaign. (Days 1-3).

When can I get my hands on the demo?
We anticipate sharing the demo with you on July 10th. We are very excited to share the game with you and to start improving it with your feedback!

At this time we have locked down the addition of new gameplay features and we are back to polishing/fixing the game content. We'll be finishing the new art needed for mastery/wound systems, going over quest and sidequests, adding missing item and skill descriptions, and adding some world interactions and secrets to make exploration more rewarding. (Gotta spice up those nooks and crannies.)

The Way of Wrath Inspirations
We have shared many updates about the game settings, gameplay design, and story during the Kickstarter campaign. But there are more topics we wanted to share with you and one of them was a series of articles about games, books, and movies/tv series that inspired us when creating The Way of Wrath. We thought, why not talk about some of them now ^^

We spent our lives playing and replaying, reading and re-reading, watching and re-watching amazing works of art and entertainment. We obsessed over what made them work, why we loved these experiences and how could this knowledge help us create new projects that we could be proud of.

The Way of Wrath takes inspiration from many great games, books, and tv series. The non-exhaustive list: Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Deus-Ex, Legend of Zelda, Thief, Gothic, System Shock, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, The Divinity Original Sin, Warlord Chronicles, Deadwood, The First Law, The Heroes, Vikings, Connan: The Barbarian. And last but most certainly not the least. The real history of the earth.

In Part 1 of our inspiration article, we'll talk about some of the books and tv series that inspired us.

Warlord Chronicles

Warlord Chronicles is a trilogy of books about Arthurian Legends by Bernard Cornwell. His take on the Artur is a more realistic one. No Camelot, Sword in stone, or honorable knights and the round table. Artur is a warlord and the story follows his struggles to push back the attacks by invading Anglo-Saxon tribes.

The books do a wonderful job to bring to life a world as it might have been seen by humans living in the dark ages of Britain. Where the powers of druids, curses, and myths were real things in the eyes of the average human.

This vivid depiction of the ancient world had a great impact on us. It fueled our fascination with the ancient world that served as a basis for our setting. We wanted to depict life, as it might have been lived by ancient humans, and to turn real the perception of the world they had.

While reading these books we also came to one realization. All the mystical and supernatural elements in most fantasy books are clearly described and explained. This takes away from the very mysticism and the allure of the unknown such elements are usually meant to evoke. After a while, the fictional world feels safer and more structured than the real world we live in. You know whether gods are real and the extent of most magical powers.

We wanted to avoid this feeling of a safe and structured world. And we did away with the mechanics of a reliable narrator. Everything you learn is just a personal opinion of the character who shares the knowledge, biased by their culture and opinions. To learn the truth you have to rely on personal experiences. (or failing that try to find the truth by looking at the subject from multiple points of view and try to deduce what might have really happened.)

Deadwood

Deadwood is one of the best TV series out there and we took deep inspiration from its handling of character and character-driven stories. Its characters feel real, they have flaws and impulses. Conscious and subconscious goals, they stumble through the world and try desperately to cling to something that will give them meaning. The clash of their personalities and desires is weaved into a masterful tapestry of character conflict-driven stories. Each episode builds upon the previous events and creates an impactful narrative.

This served as inspiration for us to make each NPC a unique character and give them their personal branching storylines that reacts and builds upon character choices and other quests.

The First Law Trilogy & The Heroes

These are fantastic fantasy books by Joe Abercrombie. The “low magic” aesthetics, more realistic characters, and cynical tone left their impact on us and we incorporated these inspirations into our design.

Vikings

TV series had its ups and downs but it further fueled in us desire to explore more types of historical characters as the base for our protagonists. We wanted to design a setting where we could tell stories about warlords, conquerors, Rulers, diplomats, traders, priests, inventors, and many other possible professions.

Indie Game Shoutouts
Plot of the Druid

If you love point-and-click adventures there is a very interesting one live on Kickstarter now. "Go on a quest to prevent the world from going crazy, a mystical comedy adventure with irreverent British wit and shapeshifting." It's also inspired partly by Black Adder <3

Cloudscape

Cloudscape
is an action-adventure farm-life survival game for PC and console, with a Switch Physical Cart! Regrow not just your farm - but the world. If this sounds like something you might enjoy, the Kickstarter campaign is now live ^^

Thanks for reading!
Always feel free to ask us any questions you have, or share any ideas you want to.

You can message us here on Kickstarter, join our Discord Channel, or reach out through our Contact Form on our website. (Where you can also find links to our social network pages.)

Cheers!

The Way of Wrath Team

Darth Canoli

Arcane
A lot of stuff, lemme copy highlights.

The game successfully built on Nintendo Switch, but there is a lot of work left on optimization.

16192f1440fa.gif

UI & Feel improvements, Gameplay system improvements have been the focus of the past month of dev.

26eb43790d8f.gif

4ca4204d80ad.gif

Please don't post autoplay animated gifs or put them inside spoilers eventually?
I could zap them with ublock but filters didn't work for some reason.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is this one of those 50/50 storyfag combatfag banner saga type deals?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom