Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Waylanders - historical fantasy time travel RPG inspired by Dragon Age: Origins

Why is that tranny grey when the game is supposed to be historical?
something they made up for the game for whatever reason
https://thewaylanders.fandom.com/wiki/Mourians

can't believe this even has a wiki, a dev must have made it
Also, is that a bowl full of eggs behind xir?
yes

this has very, VERY little to do with celtic myth/history
Man, what a shitshow. When I read in the local newspaper all those years ago that those guys were going to make a videogame "based" on "Celtic mythology", I didn't expect them to end up releasing an actual game. Most of the stuff I see in there is shit Galician nationalist kids these days would make up (like Samhain as a tradition, which it never was and noone had ever heard of it until the 90s, when we have always had our own traditions around that time of the year, but I guess the name's too Roman for them). Drawing fake petroglyphs in uninhabited areas and all that jazz. Being ignorant of when corn came to Europe by claiming that the ancient celts ate cornbread (which is a Galician traditional type of bread... but only since the 18th Century or so!), and just historical falsification in general. These types are always progressive (long gone are the days when they used to be fans of Adolf Hitler), which explains a lot of things.

The "mourians" (actually "mouros", you could translate it as "dark ones") are something that is from actual Galician folklore. They don't have anything to do with leprechauns, they are more akin to the Germanic dwarves (they inhabit barrows, have dark skin and red hair, and are excellent craftsmen). I don't want to go on a tirade about local politics, but that aforementioned group of people will make up all sorts of shit to establish a cultural link between Galicia and Ireland.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Waylanders-004.png
oh, you looking for druid college. it's that building next door to barbarian wommyn school.

Codex Year of the Donut
Why is that tranny grey when the game is supposed to be historical?
something they made up for the game for whatever reason
https://thewaylanders.fandom.com/wiki/Mourians

can't believe this even has a wiki, a dev must have made it
Also, is that a bowl full of eggs behind xir?
yes

this has very, VERY little to do with celtic myth/history
Man, what a shitshow. When I read in the local newspaper all those years ago that those guys were going to make a videogame "based" on "Celtic mythology", I didn't expect them to end up releasing an actual game. Most of the stuff I see in there is shit Galician nationalist kids these days would make up (like Samhain as a tradition, which it never was and noone had ever heard of it until the 90s, when we have always had our own traditions around that time of the year, but I guess the name's too Roman for them). Drawing fake petroglyphs in uninhabited areas and all that jazz. Being ignorant of when corn came to Europe by claiming that the ancient celts ate cornbread (which is a Galician traditional type of bread... but only since the 18th Century or so!), and just historical falsification in general. These types are always progressive (long gone are the days when they used to be fans of Adolf Hitler), which explains a lot of things.

The "mourians" (actually "mouros", you could translate it as "dark ones") are something that is from actual Galician folklore. They don't have anything to do with leprechauns, they are more akin to the Germanic dwarves (they inhabit barrows, have dark skin and red hair, and are excellent craftsmen). I don't want to go on a tirade about local politics, but that aforementioned group of people will make up all sorts of shit to establish a cultural link between Galicia and Ireland.
This makes a lot more sense. I know a good deal about Celtic mythology/history from the Irish POV, but I didn't consider it was being done from a different pov(Galician)
This is basically "we wuz Irish: the game" :lol:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Putting this on their Steam page, as if it's high praise, was certainly a red flag :lol:

View attachment 30633
This is hilarious, surely they're not so desperate for compliments they're resorting to using a dry description of the game's basic features from a review? What's next? A quote from a review saying "It is [...] a RPG."
Also, its a travesty that a game that looks like that is 60 gb. I don't care for it when the latest eye candy AAA game does it, but at least when they do it they're making sure you see something nice, but this?

Codex Year of the Donut
Never mind the grey "woman"(?) alien in celtic world, even the way she speaks.

"The Druid college".

Druid were absolutely bent on oral transmission of knowledge, grouping them together in some sort of university is pure nonsense.
Multiple times he said he "read all the books in the college". As if it was an actual modern-day college.
I... yeah... that's the writing in the game. I wish I was exaggerating.

Reinhardt

Arcane
at least wait until you reach land of kangz! there is land of kangz, right?

Sarathiour

Cipher

"The Druid college".

Druid were absolutely bent on oral transmission of knowledge, grouping them together in some sort of university is pure nonsense.
Multiple times he said he "read all the books in the college". As if it was an actual modern-day college.
It's always baffling how californian are utterly incapable of envisioning something that differ from their culture beyond skin-deep differences.

Luzur

Good Sir

"The Druid college".

prob have alot of collage fuckfests with hot collage girls and bully some dumb nerds at those Druid Collages aswell

Dhaze

Cipher
Not to defends the devs—especially if they indeed wrote "read all the books in the college"—but while today it has mostly become synonymous with university, the word college can also describe a body of people sharing identical status or profession, especially as concerns the law or religion (see collegial).

The writing in this game seems stupid enough that, conceivably, the devs could have confounded a college of druids with a druid college, and from there it snowballed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's always baffling how californian are utterly incapable of envisioning something that differ from their culture beyond skin-deep differences.
Gato is Spanish studio, the narrative director was an east coast American.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Not to defends the devs—especially if they indeed wrote "read all the books in the college"—but while today it has mostly become synonymous with university, the word college can also describe a body of people sharing identical status or profession, especially as concerns the law or religion (see collegial).

The writing in this game seems stupid enough that, conceivably, the devs could have confounded a college of druids with a druid college, and from there it snowballed.
It starts with 'I check so many boxes'. It's written like a retarded Twitter post because it's written by the pronoun college on Twitter.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, but, see:
What an experience. A terrible, terrible experience.

Highly recommended if you want to play one of the worst games made by an actual studio in modern times.

Codex Year of the Donut
If the Steam discussion forum is anything to go by, it looks like this game pretty much bankrupted the company.
Can't say I'm disappointed. There was nothing here that was redeeming and made me think "huh, they might make a good game next time if they just do better." It was awful, one of the worst games I've played in recent memory.
It makes Encased look like a masterpiece.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What do you guys think about the Mouros being cited as proof that Celts were originally black/ blacks ruled over the white Celts in very ancient times?

Sarathiour

Cipher

Yeah, I thought about it, but this meaning does not really fit the "dialog".

Also it would be pretty far-fetched, druid were not exactly a monolithic entity. The obviously had specialization and gathering, but it would be akin to someone saying "I know more about rpg that the entire college of rpgcodexer".
Honestly, we're probably giving it way more thought that they ever had about it.

This makes a lot more sense. I know a good deal about Celtic mythology/history from the Irish POV, but I didn't consider it was being done from a different pov(Galician)
This is basically "we wuz Irish: the game" :lol:

It's actually more like "The Irish wuz us". You see, there's an 11th century Irish codex that narrates the history of Ireland (well, it's more of a mish-mash of legend, mythology, some history and whatever else the monks came up with), the "Leabhar Gabhála Éireann", and in that codex it is claimed that the Celtic settlers that became the modern-day Irish came from Galicia after their king sighted Ireland from the Tower of Hercules (an actual lighthouse in Coruña, still in operation), which is not something that can be done in reality. Although there are genetic markers and haplogroups that indicate that the Celts from Ireland did come from the Atlantic coast of Spain, that was in the 3rd millennium BC (when the Celts arrived in Ireland and rubbed out the natives, like they had done in much of Europe), and the lighthouse is from the 1st century AD.

Anyway, certain political blocs have used this to attempt to falsify tradition (we do have some romanized and then christianized celtic festivals, and there were votive steles in honour of a multitude of celtic gods, but written in latin, and anyway, these are OUR tradition) by transplanting stuff from places such as Ireland, Wales, or Scotland, where Celtic languages were spoken for much longer because the Romans didn't make it there, just because there's a distant genetic link and mostly, because it's not Spanish culture, and for them being different from the rest of Spain (as if we weren't different enough, LOL) matters more than being right.

Fargus

Arcane
I'm baffled there are codexers that got suckered into backing this goyslop disaster. I mean the red flags were all over. If a fucking they\them steroid granny companion wasn't enough of an indication that this game is going to be retard fuel then i don't know what to tell you.

Thread was fun to read.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm baffled there are codexers that got suckered into backing this goyslop. I mean the red flags were all over. If a fucking they\them steroid granny companion wasn't enough of an indication that this game is going to be retard fuel then i don't know what to tell you.

Thread was fun to read.
Even on the Codex, hope springs eternal.

Fargus

Arcane
this game pretty much bankrupted the company.
Means there is a God.

I'm baffled there are codexers that got suckered into backing this goyslop. I mean the red flags were all over. If a fucking they\them steroid granny companion wasn't enough of an indication that this game is going to be retard fuel then i don't know what to tell you.

Thread was fun to read.
Even on the Codex, hope springs eternal.

So you're probably right. I sure hope for more delicious cringefests like this one in the future. Especially with the devs being as open as possible about their retardation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom