Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter The Waylanders - time travel RPG inspired by Dragon Age - now on Early Access - coming February 2nd

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Life of the Party, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
    Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame

http://thewaylanders.com

https://af.gog.com/game/the_waylanders?as=1649904300

Show Spoiler

https://www.pcgamer.com/first-look-...-inspired-by-the-likes-of-dragon-age-origins/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021
    • Shit x 7
    • hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I recommend naming threads more informatively.

^ Top  
  3. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Inspired by dragon age, designed with Mike Laidlaw.....sorry but I'm going to be busy trying to contract bowel cancer instead.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not mentioned in the article - this is apparently also a board game. Which is going to be on Kickstarter soon (I think?)

http://eclipseeditorial.com/games/en/the-waylanders-eclipses-new-game-on-kickstarter/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    "Inspired by [game x]"
    "Time travel"

Is this banalshitboring bingo?

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    The only thing that could make a game inspired by mediocrity and written by mediocrity worse is throwing in time travel, so... good job, Mike!

^ Top  
  7. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Fuck, got excited for a second:

[​IMG]

Why does no-one make a game based on this one?

Show Spoiler
    Probably just as well as it would be bound to be shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Oh hey:

Seems to be the footage Laidlaw speaks over in his video.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    goddamn Shackleton you have extremely fine taste sir, both in blobbers and in High Brow Elite Literature

i was just now gonna make the same post as you with one of Gemmell's waylander novels ^_^

goddamn i miss reading a Gemmell book. RIP. dude fucking defined my early teens when I first read Legend: Or Druss The Legend when I was in 6th grade, single-handedly ignited my love for geeky fantasy right then and there.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, I went through a phase where almost every game I played I named a character Tenaka, Ananais or Decado. They still come out from time to time, the Decado character type fits pretty much every crpg going.

RIP David Gemmell.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. NotAGolfer Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That trailer has got me intrigued tbh.
    Celtic lore is always a plus. Two parties in two periods of time could mean (it won't though because if they namedrop Dragon Age Origins they are dumbfucks) that there are riddles or puzzles with interactions between both. And while it's RTwP that formation feature looks nice in concept and could make for tactically deeper combat.

Following this with mild curiosity now.

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Video interview: https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/690533/Introducing+The+Waylanders+a+double+dose+of+RPG+goodness/

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Steam page:

Bioware fans disapprove.

The video game Kickstarter is coming October 16th: http://thewaylanders.com/refer/

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. RNGsus Arcane

RNGsus
    Rated M for potions

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tito Anic Arcane Shitposter

Tito Anic
    :backawayslowly:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • decline decline x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    Since it's RTwP I'm automatically not interested but even if I was, I'd be very wary considering the developer. Gato Salvajes previously Kickstarted a point & click adventure game "AR-K" over 5 years ago… And just announced that the final 4th episode of AR-K will supposedly be released in February 2019 (as well as sending physical copies) after absolutely no communication for 3 years.

So assuming they actually release part 4 in February they will several years beyond the estimated release date (which wouldn't necessarily be a big problem if the game was any good), but Steam reviewers certainly didn't praise the game… The studio has done nothing to indicate they're capable of creating a decent game of any genre, let alone a CRPG spiritual successor of DA:O, BG2, etc. Also, they never released a DRM-free copy of AR-K which was promised to backers.

Their only other released game is Bullshot which seems to be a Contra-like shooter.

Even if this was my dream game I wouldn't trust this developer with my money considering how they handled their last Kickstarter. It boggles my mind that a developer can run a Kickstarter so terribly and then think they'll do another crowdfunding project, when they're still years behind on the first one… Sadly they might succeed because they hired an ex-Bioware guy. I've no idea how they even managed to hire a new creative director... I guess either the shooter must be selling well or Laidlaw was really desperate for work.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. 111111111 Savant

I'm interested cuz time travel is unique premise

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    It is but given the developer's track record you're going to need a time machine to play it.... It took them over 6 years and counting to complete a simple point & click adventure game, so I expect a CRPG to take them a couple of decades.

^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    ^ Top  
  20. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    October madness. What will Codex support - this or Realms Beyond?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    First stretch goal is...

^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    [​IMG]

Who's the hidden guy? NWN2, KOTOR2, New Vegas. None of the other writers in the image worked on those. Chris Avellone are you on this too??

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    Am I missing something or is this game just pure combat?

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    It's supposed to be inspired by Dragon Age: Origins so I wouldn't think so. It does seem that they don't have much beyond a combat engine at this point though (although I did notice what appears to be a snippet of a cutscene with dialogue in the combat formations video)

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.