Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Waylanders - historical fantasy time travel RPG inspired by Dragon Age: Origins

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The ancient Celts apparently had a "Mage's College"? This is getting extremely silly: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2762965

Companion: Amergin - Story & background

Despite being only thirty at the start of the game, Amergin is the Master Druid for the court of King Ith. Amergin is bright, inspired, excited about life, and incredibly good at magick. He is known for his charm and his sharp wit. He believes with all his heart that the world is out of balance, and he has devoted himself to becoming part of the solution.

627c3c0dec01ee3b0b72f095b4b1ff27_original.jpg

A distant relative of King Ith, Amergin’s magickal prowess was discovered at an early age. He was sent to the Mage’s College, where he was raised with little knowledge or understanding of the outside world. Though he excelled at his classes and was extremely well-liked, he developed a reputation for sometimes being close-minded when it comes to opinions that conflict with the Celtic way of life.

Amergin is regarded as a magickal and political authority by other humans, but due to his youth, immortal characters rarely take him seriously. They should, though- despite his sarcasm, he’s the most powerful druid to grace the Celts in generations. He has not figured this out quite yet, but he’s starting to.

As a romance option, Amergin falls hard and fast. He may be interested in shacking up pretty quickly. Maybe too quickly… Amergin is attentive and would do anything for you- but he is also jealous as hell. He would not be comfortable with you seeing other people. But, he would never dream of cheating on you or leaving you. He’s a man of principles, and a man of his word.

daveyd

Savant
Is there any evidence that an actual game is being made and not just a tech demo? The recent videos here are just of characters running around.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They've got Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie helping them now as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2817451

Big update: a lot of new stuff!

Dear backers,

For the past few weeks, our number one priority has been the health of our team and reorganizing our development to adapt to the new situation with Covid-19. Our entire crew is working from their respective homes and, fortunately, everybody is healthy. During this time of adjustment, we are still moving forward in development, looking forward to releasing The Waylanders on Steam Early Access this summer. This means, those of you who have pledged for alpha and beta versions will receive the game soon. We’ll give more details once we set a specific date for each version.

We know that many of you are looking forward to playing The Waylanders, and we want to thank you for your patience and amazing support of the team.

Time now for some new content and announcements that we are excited to share with you!

New screenshots
A picture is worth a thousand words... and this is why we know you’ll love the screenshots below. As you can see that The Waylanders has made an impressive leap in quality compared to what you saw in earlier updates; we promise the wait is worth it!

6b5a69669098f8dedafcf8af8d77ae8b_original.jpg

From the Goblin Camp, full of color and life...
2fa49b608e3240e50c24abfe1987ea23_original.jpg

… to the Fomorian World, where the darkness hides gigantic surprises.
43b2cce911c8057a9c47d7592a5e30a5_original.jpg

Half-Fomorian Guardian, customized in The Waylanders character creator (you’ll spend a lot of time there!)
edd2c685308b7843018d175946edc3c1_original.jpg

Remember: formations are a powerful and innovative feature in the game!
c09372e2a5baff072340e8c0e2c77de8_original.jpg

And what about gameplay? The relaxing feeling of exploring Brigantia with your character...
0ddbfbf12fbc612c9c10db0cc93b1e20_original.jpg

… and the intensity of the battle. Use the tactical pause and plan your moves wisely with your keyboard and mouse...
5790c784e5e04be6af023235a49536f7_original.png

… or with your favorite controller, because The Waylanders features full controller support with a fully adapted interface! Enjoy The Waylanders the way you want.

One more surprise!
As you already know, one of The Waylanders' strengths is the rich story. We have a high-level scriptwriting team including industry heavyweights Chris Avellone, Mike Laidlaw, and Emily Grace Buck. What would you say if we were to announce a new member to our party of writers?

Introducing Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie as Project Consultant for The Waylanders! Gavin is an awesome writer with extensive experience in many renowned video games, such as:
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Wasteland 3
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera
  • Diablo III & Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
You can follow Gavin on Twitter

What do The Waylanders and Fallout 76: Wastelanders have in common?
Aside from a funny similarity in names (we swear we didn’t plan that), both games have one person in common: the great composer Inon Zur! Just like with Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76, Inon Zur has done an amazing job with this post-apocalyptic expansion.

We will soon reveal new themes made by Inon Zur for The Waylanders soundtrack. In the meantime, you can listen to his work on Wastelanders on Spotify. The full OST is available here.

We hope you like these announcements. Stay home, stay healthy, and take good care of yourself. In the meantime, we'll continue to build The Waylanders into the RPG you've always wanted to play.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I am getting DA2 vibes... and those are not good vibes.
Seriously tho. I don't like the artystile or what we seen about everything else.
I think i will skip this one

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2835806

Introducing the character creator

English

Dear backers,

For sure, you'll love this update. Introducing the character creator of The Waylanders! Keep reading!

Screenshots
02a896c07aa9a81808944cd0f88ba164_original.png

Feel the difference between races. Celtic Human warrior...
9ab9f80707b3b2fc2fe9c6fe6b090ea0_original.png

... and half-fomorian warrior. Same class, but totally different appearance
7a4e9a3693dea46621d1769ba5f5564f_original.png

If you keep the half-fomorian race, but simply change your class to a sorcerer... new character again!
a5e56188c3de2b1bc1e8700d3565361d_original.png

And what about a mourian rogue? Daggers, critical damage, stealth...
f800c45feff6155e4ccec6f42d3090b6_original.png

And don't forget the werewolves, the descendants of the god Lug. Ferocious in battle and dangerous foes.
c33368491b178e8f93f49dea3d595ceb_original.png

More surprises here: Celtic humans are not the only playable humans. You can play as an Egyptian...
f546fee0764734631ab10f51198d6aef_original.png

... or a Dog of Ares mercenary. They believe strongly in the glory of battle and are great skirmishers, specializing in the Greek spear-and-shield fighting style, as well as the bow.
a2c800e47d05eb19f2bc2c9acd5f477b_original.jpg

And much...
3a12235bf669207f6b0ba32873aa9b56_original.png

... much...
692ef1d74ccdce10689fdc06b01e921d_original.png

... much...
b9423ed851771184147478ed7059c9ee_original.png

... much...
413f3e6044203c9099068890ce05ff0a_original.jpg

... MUCH...
9bd1495d6c5156d2abe66ea87a0a9e08_original.png

... much more!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still a bit hazy, but isn't Laidlaw the fucktard that made DA:2? The: "Press a button and something awesome happens!" guy?.

Yeah, he was. I don't exactly try to remember this stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Still a bit hazy, but isn't Laidlaw the fucktard that made DA:2? The: "Press a button and something awesome happens!" guy?.

Yeah, he was. I don't exactly try to remember this stuff.

He's not the one who said "button awesome", that was some EA marketing dude.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What are the odds David Gaider will pop up?.

I have to admit, they had a good idea with seperating the game over two time periods.

Then I remembered VTM:R did it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

King Ith is leading a delegation to the mythical home of the gods. Some, like the king himself, view this as a holy pilgramage and the culmination of long years of work. His son, Prince Lugaid, has spent the voyage celebrating, getting drunk, and hoping for a fight.

King Ith has long been concerned that his heir will not become the king his nation needs. This trip, unfortunately, has confirmed his deepest fears.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Now in alpha, will be showcased at IGN's summer event on June 8th.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2853199

The most important update so far: alpha version

Dear backers,

We have something important to announce.

We have a date to share with you for the release of the alpha version of The Waylanders. And that moment is ... right now, actually!

b859442d50f9f35eb09de4b20e76e399_original.jpg

The first image you'll see when you start The Waylanders. Press any key and begin your Celtic adventure!

If you selected the alpha version of the game as an add-on, you may be wondering how you can start playing. It’s very simple, but we recommend that you first carefully read the instructions detailed below.
BACKERKIT
For peace of mind (yours and ours), we are using the most used tool to manage and distribute rewards: BackerKit.

BackerKit allows backers to manage your rewards and add-ons in a comfortable way. With this platform, we will ensure that each one of you receives the right rewards. In the next few hours, you should receive a BackerKit email to the address associated with your Kickstarter account. This email will allow you to access BackerKit, where you simply have to fill in the information requested. The process only requires few steps and is very simple.

To fill out your BackerKit survey, click the “Click here to respond” link in the email you received from us. You don't need an account with BackerKit to fill out the survey.

You must follow these easy steps.

Start your survey

To begin, select your country and click “Get Started!”.

Answer the survey questions

If you need to make selections for your items or provide information to the project creator, you’ll need to answer the question in this section.

Purchase add-on items (optional)

If you pledged for any add-on, you can select the items here. For example, the Alpha version is an add-on and will be available in this step.

Enter your shipping address (only physical rewards)

If you're receiving physical goods as part of your pledge level (like a physical collector’s edition, the board game, etc.), enter the address where you want to receive them.

BackerKit will ask you for a payment method for the shipping cost. Don’t worry, you won’t be charged right now. You’ll be charged shortly before sending the physical rewards, closer to when the final version of The Waylanders is available, a few months from now. We will notify you in advance through new Kickstarter updates, so you won’t be caught off guard with the shipping payment.

Make sure you double-check any corrections in your shipping information before clicking ‘Submit’.

Confirm your information

Review your order and make any changes or go back and purchase additional add-on items. When you're ready, submit your payment information for any additional purchases and click Confirm.

If you need more info about how BackerKit works, we recommend you these two links:

How do I fill out my survey?

Backers FAQ

Do not hesitate to send us a Kickstarter message if you have any issue filling the survey out. Although, as you will see, it’s really simple!

GETTING THE ALPHA VERSION
I have filled my survey on BackerKit and purchased the alpha version of The Waylanders. How can I get it?

A Steam key will be available in your BackerKit account when you finish your survey proccess. Just check for the “Get your digital download” button and you’ll get your Steam key. If it doesn't appear, please be patient. We know that you really want to play The Waylanders, but sometimes BackerKit doesn't distribute the keys instantly. If you pledged for the alpha version and haven’t received your key after 24 hours, contact us through Kickstarter and we will help you.

If you don't know how to activate the game on Steam, here are the steps to do it.

Clarifications on the alpha version

Keep in mind the alpha version does not represent the final result of the game. It is a work in progress which needs improvements. This version only includes a part of the game (but don't worry, little by little we’ll be adding what is missing). You can also experience bugs or some optimization failures and you will notice that some things are missing: some voices, cinematics and some enemies may not behave in the most intelligent way. At this point in development it is a common issue, but we are working to improve it.

Some limitations you’ll experience playing the alpha version:

• Game length: The Waylanders is divided in three acts. The alpha version includes a part of the first act
  • Languages: you’ll be able to play in english during the alpha version. The final release will include the rest of the available languages
  • Some voices and dialogues are missing
  • Some cinematics are missing, so some parts of the story may not be strongly connected in the alpha
  • Saved games: some major updates could delete your saved game
  • Bugs & game crashes: if you hate to find gameplay issues and unexpected errors, maybe the alpha version is not for you. Try to be patient and expect some issues when playing
If you experience any problem while enjoying the alpha version of The Waylanders, we invite you to report it in the Steam forums. As a person who has supported us from the very beginning, and as a user of the alpha version, we take your comments very seriously, so we will review all the reports you send to us.

We have enabled a section in the Steam discussion section called [ALPHA] Suggestions & Reports, only accessible to owners of the alpha version, so you can report any problems you find. We will respond to all of them as quickly as possible:

Go to Alpha report section on Steam (only visible for logged in Alpha owners)

Some Frequent questions
I have not pledged for the alpha version, but the beta version. Can I play now?

Unfortunately, not yet. But don't worry, your time will come. Backers who have selected a reward that includes the beta version will be able to play very soon. We will keep you informed. Stay tuned :)

Apart from the alpha version, my reward includes more products. Will I receive them now?

No. For now, only the alpha version of the game will be available. Very soon, the beta version of the game will be sent to the people who selected it. The rest of the rewards (physical and digital) will be sent when we get closer to the final version of the game.

A big thank you
As we said at the beginning of the update, the backers who have pledged at that level will be able to enjoy the alpha version of The Waylanders. We are looking forward to hearing your impressions! We hope you enjoy The Waylanders and help us to improve it. Thanks from all of us for being here.

A big hug from the entire Gato Studio team.

https://invisioncommunity.co.uk/can-you-pet-everything-in-the-waylanders/

Can you Pet Everything in The Waylanders?

The world of The Waylanders is closer than you think! Watch out for the release date announcement on June 8th in the IGN Summer of Gaming showcase! As the hype grows, the team is getting many questions from fans like: Do I get that ship as a base? Yep! Can you romance Nazhedja? Yes! Are there pets? YES!

No RPG is complete without an animal companion who’s set out to slay monsters by your side, and The Waylanders is no different. While The Waylanders’ resident werewolf, Rea, meets the description, she takes offense at being called a pet.

Ranger_celt_with_Wild_Boar_5.jpg

While most classes don’t get a furry, feathered, or scaled friend, Rangers in The Waylanders have twelve different animal companions to choose from. These pet companions level as you do and have unique abilities that damage, distract, heal, and inflict status effects. Ranger animal companions are always with the party and can be directed to take action just like all your other characters. While a few of these pets are race and advanced class-specific, many can travel beside any kind of Ranger the player chooses to create.

Ranger_with_Deer_7.jpg

Ranger Pets:
  • Dog – A furry friend with a distracting bark and sharp bite
  • Wolf – A cunning pack hunter with a self-healing attacks and an invigorating howl
  • Wild Boar – A tough ally with sharp tusks and a devastating charge
  • Deer – A swift fighter with sharp hooves and a hard skull
  • Rabbit – A lightning-quick companion with some unexpected tricks
  • Bear – A fearsome guardian with savage jaws
  • Raven – A dark omen on wings with a razor beak
  • Jay – A colorful bird with sharp talons and a swooping assault
  • Panther – A lithe predator that favors pouncing and biting
  • Spider – A patient, terrifying huntress with a prickly web
  • Dragon – A legendary beast with powerful wings and explosive breath
  • Drake – A scaly-skinned carnivore with a lethal charge and deadly breath
While petting animals isn’t a early access launch feature, the team wants to hear if that’s something fans are excited about. Let them know on Twitter and Facebook.

invocation2.jpg

Magic inclined characters will not miss out on pets either. Special summoning Invocations used by a variety classes summon spectral creatures who battle beside the party for a short time after their ability is used. Summon the Wild, for example, allows a Healer to call a spiritual guardian to the party’s aid.

Traste.jpg

Lastly, everyone’s favourite goblin in the Waylanders, Trasté, has his own special wisps who act as a minion to aid in combat. By using Trasté’s Friends! Ability, a Wisp appears near you every few seconds acting as ammunition for certain abilities, or can explode*, damaging a target.

*No wisps are harmed during explosion. This is a perfectly natural part of a goblin wisp’s day in The Waylanders. Wisps love Trasté! Friends!

Find out more about The Waylanders on Steam and the game’s website

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Early Access on June 16th:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2861629

Release date revealed: The Waylanders will be available on Steam Early Access

The Waylanders will be available on Steam Early Access
June, 16, 2020. Remember that day, because we’ll release The Waylanders Early Access on Steam!

Watch the gameplay trailer on IGN's Youtube channel:

We know an Early Access release is a big change. The game is still in Alpha stage, and the Beta version will be released a few months later. Backers are our best supporters since the beginning of the project, so… We are glad to announce Beta backers will be able to play The Waylanders since June,16. Surprise! You’ll get the game before the Beta version is available.

This means, all the backers who pledged $50 or more will get access to the game in June 16. You’ll get a key via BackerKit and you can activate it on Steam. If you don't know how to activate the key on Steam, here are the steps to do it.

Beta backers won’t pay for Alpha add-on
Some people with Beta access also selected the $10 add-on for Alpha access. You would pay 10 additional bucks for only 2 weeks. That’s not fair and we know it. And that’s why we decided not to charge those $10 for Beta tiers. If you selected a $50 or more reward, we’ll add $10 credit on your BackerKit account in order to make up the add-on. This means, you won’t pay for it. You supported us, and now we want to support you.

We’ll add it manually and you don't need to do anything. The $10 compensation will be reflected in your BackerKit account during the upcoming days.

New game update: The Waylanders Alpha v0.12
New options

• Mouse sensitivity settings added. Now you are able to adapt the camera sensitivity to your personal taste
  • Now you can invert camera axis movement. Available for keyboard + mouse, and for controller
Fixes

• Inventory item comparison issues
  • Sometimes, cursor didn’t appear when using controller
  • Loot issue in saved games
  • Several bugs have been fixed
Improvements

• Some cinematics have been updated and improved
  • Character exploration movements improved
  • CPU use optimization
New features

• Now you can enter & exit the map screen with M key
  • Now you can store loot & items in a chest, located in the ship

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
And a short preview:

Check out this new trailer for The Waylanders - a fantasy RPG inspired by all your favorite classics, and features party-based combat on a tactical scale.

The waylanders gameplay highlights the multiple environments players will see as the game time travels between Celtic and Medieval eras/

The Waylanders trailer seen here is a Part of IGN’s Summer of Gaming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-waylanders/early-access-impressions

Dragon Age successor The Waylanders can be confusing
Get ready to fight ancient wolf gods when it heads into early access next week, but be prepared to stop for construction

the-waylanders-impressions-header-900x506.jpg

Normally, if I find myself fighting a giant purple wolf god amid the wreckage of a glittering armada on some far-flung fantasy shore, I’m set up for a perfect ‘so there I was’ story, which I’d use as a jump-off point to explain how I got there and introduce the game I’ve been playing. But in this case, I’m fighting a giant purple wolf god on a far-flung shore, and I genuinely don’t know how I got there.

The Waylanders, a spiritual successor to Dragon Age: Origins, is heading into Steam Early Access next week. I’ve played a preview version of the build that will become available on June 16, and which everyone will be able to buy and try out. While some games arrive in early access as essentially finished products, The Waylanders is still very much a work in progress – and that ‘early access’ tag should be taken seriously.

But if you’re willing to deal with some ‘Pardon our Mess’ signs posted where you’d normally find things like facial animation and story cinematics, The Waylanders shows promise – and it’s introducing a fantasy world that’s not quite like anything else I’ve ever encountered.

You begin on the deck of one of those ill-fated ships I mentioned before, employed as bodyguard to King Ith, who is leading a delegation across the seas to make first contact with a mythical race of god-like beings called the Tuatha. Things go dreadfully wrong somehow, but exactly what happens will be revealed in a cutscene that wasn’t included in the build I played.

What is clear is that The Waylanders has crafted its world from a unique blend of existing and novel mythology, borrowing liberally from real-world cultures while at the same time spinning up its own fantastical background, full of golden-eyed immortals and powerful magicks. This is a world where a muscle-bound Greek mercenary trying to forge his own personal Odyssey fights alongside a powerful Celtic druid, who comes complete with tartan robes and memories of Ireland.

My character, meanwhile, is a diminutive werewolf rogue named Hrolleif, and so far I haven’t discovered much of what makes her stand out from the bunch. There’s a lot that I’ve had to piece together myself, as you might expect from a build this early in development, and I’m thankful that I’ve been able to fall back on my Dragon Age: Origins experience to make sense of the combat.

It’s here where I expect to see the meat of The Waylanders’ gameplay to develop, and where it’s more akin to Dragon Age: Origins than any of the Dragon Age games that came after it ever were. Combat is in pausable real-time, and you can queue up moves and attacks on the fly, setting up deadly combos with well-positioned characters.

To this, The Waylanders adds an interesting formation system. Rather than simply setting a layout for your characters, these are true battle formations – activate the mode, and selected party members will form a wall of spears and operate as a single unit in a fight. I’ve used it effectively to protect vulnerable casters and healers. Like other units, formations have their own battlefield moves, which you can assign to a skill bar that appears on the bottom of the screen during fights. And like characters, your formations accrue their own experience points that can be used to unlock new abilities and passive bonuses depending on how you play.

There’s a lot of potential on display here, but everything is still tangibly missing a lot of finishing touches and polish. Only a few scant elements of the tutorial have been implemented so far, and even the in-game codex is of little help at this stage. The unfinished state of the game is apparent just about everywhere – cutscenes missing character assets and animation, camera jank, equipment stats that are unexplained, and unclear cues in combat are indications of where Gato Studio still needs to devote development time.

My message to the world is that this is all okay. Gato has been fairly clear about what stands between The Waylanders as it exists now and what’s planned for the full version. But what’s present in the game already is enough to pique my interest – there’s a weird and wonderful world to explore and learn about, and a combat system that feels satisfyingly old school and complex.

However, it’s worth pointing out that early access is definitely not the ideal way to experience this game. The Waylanders’ real promise is in something fully formed, something that you can dig into with both hands, into which you can pour many hours solving its mysteries and mastering its teamwork-focused combat. That’s not possible in this early build, and it may be best to wait for this fruit to ripen a bit before biting into it yourself.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Despite 'inspired by Dragon Age" giving me as much reason to suspect someone is force-feeding me funny mushrooms, if you know, they remove all the bullshit from that game, especially in combat, this could be nice. Sure, the artstyle is aggressively mediocre, but Celtic Mythology is always nice. Sure, it'll probably be crap, but a little positivity is nice once in a while.

Bara

Arcane
Some more vids of gameplay came out the last few days.

Second video says hes done 10hrs of content and I rember some dev post saying EA would only be 25% so 40 hrish game I guess.

That same guy says the story and companions is really good but the first video all the dialogue came off pretty meh.

Overall it looks very early access.

Drowed

Arcane
I see a lot of people complaining about the look of the game, for being cartoonish/colorful, and honestly, I don't give a shit. It's not my favorite style, but I can easily live with it.

What worries me is to see in the trailers highlighted phrases like "DISCOVER ROMANCE IN AN ANCIENT WORLD". Can we not, really? Then it goes to say "LAUNCH INTO FAST-PACED, STRATEGIC COMBAT" just to then show scenes where the characters are essentially standing around and moving in blobs, like in slow motion. Honestly, the look of the game is the least of my worries, by far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom