Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper The weekly/yearly what is a RPG discussion DISCUSS!!!

Servo

Arcane
My other thread, where I explained that I knew nothing about RPGs, got retardo'd. So this is kind of a continuation of that - a further insight on my path of discovery about these things you people call RPGs.

First of all, I've decided the "What is a CRPG?" discussion is pointless. In order to answer that question in any sane way, you have to first answer "What is an RPG?" But that discussion is equally pointless, because from what I've gathered there has never been a consensus among players.

OD&D did not call itself a "role playering game." The box cover says "rules for fantastic medieval wargames." The text itself refers to choosing a "role" as a combination of race and class: "players must decide what role they will play in the campaign, human or otherwise, fighter, cleric, or magic-user." What I can't figure out is who called this activity "role playing" first. It's misleading because it suggests that the player is an actor in a story, which is not what OD&D was actually about. It was just a game, and people played to win. Ron Edwards explained that the rules were revised and scattering among publications, so a lot of people made it up as they went, playing for make believe instead of to win. AD&D was Gary Gygax's response to this, which was not received well by those who were told they were playing it wrong.

Point is there was already at least two very different things people were calling D&D. So if D&D is the archetypal RPG, and we can't even agree on what D&D is, then how can we say what an RPG is? I suggest it is nonsense. D&D was not a "role playing game" to begin with, and whatever the thing is that everyone else was doing ("role playing") was not D&D. Ron Edwards identifies the former activity as a "gamist" approach and the latter as a "narrativist" approach, which I'm sure many here are already familiar with.

Does any of this matter as far as determining what sort of games I like? No. I'm sure there are plenty of jazz purists who scoff at avant garde, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying stuff from John Zorn or Nels Cline. Who cares if Robert Fripp doesn't consider Genesis prog. rock? Genesis is fucking awesome, and fuck what Robert Fripp considers (I love you as a bro Robert). Who cares if Dark Souls is an RPG? Dark Souls is fucking awesome.

Am I sperg status enough yet? Get this: I'm starting to think "role playing" is not even compatible with games. Obviously game makers want to cater to gamists and narrativists, but the result is that both demographics suffer. I have never played a game that had great gameplay and a great story. Planescape: Torment had one of the best stories in video games, but it was hampered every step of the way by its poor gameplay. I wanted so badly to love its story like others around here, but every time I'd really start to dig it ("Holy shit did Ravel just TOUCH me?!") I'd get immediately thrown into some nonsensical fetchquest or its shitty combat. I think I would have enjoyed it much more as a book, except that I'd then have to compare it to other books. On the other hand, some of the best gameplay I've experienced recently came from the Souls games, whose story is hardly important, and Valkyria Chronicles, which I hated for its story but didn't care because it was so much fun to play.

tldr; someone once said to post again after I'd figured out what I like. Well I figured out that I like games. I like them for being games. I like gamey games, with rules and win conditions, that don't pretend to be something else. I like struggling to meet the challenge, and eventually overcoming it. And I really, really hate larping. Seriously, my friends suck at telling stories. Which is why I'm going to kill them all (in character) at our next session.

Still working on Ultima IV. Pool of Radiance is next.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Yeah, man. RPG is, like, just a concept, man. You role and you play and you game, but, like, what does that even mean? Isn't, like, real life just RPG? And if you play RPG in life, doesn't that RPG BECOME life for a while? Who's dreaming who, man? What is anything, even?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Define: "Is".

hqdefault.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
IMHO, the only way you'll ever get close to defining RPGs is through the concept of Imagined Communities:

As Anderson puts it, a nation "is imagined because the members of even the smallest nation will never know most of their fellow-members, meet them, or even hear of them, yet in the minds of each lives the image of their communion". Members of the community probably will never know each of the other members face to face; However, they may have similar interests or identify as part of the same nation. The media also create imagined communities, through usually targeting a mass audience or generalizing and addressing citizens as the public..

That works pretty much for any genre in any area...

V_K

Arcane
Or we can go all platonic and say that there's the idea of an RPG of which all actual games are just shadows and which thus cannot be known empirically through them.

Servo

Arcane
We need meanings in order to do criticism, otherwise we're only left saying stuff is awesome, as you just demonstrated

Nah. We can identify a good game when we see it without trying to shoehorn it into any genre label. Same with music. Or does anyone actually listen to Minutemen and say "This technically isn't punk so I don't like it?" They are gay.

Yeah, man. RPG is, like, just a concept, man. You role and you play and you game, but, like, what does that even mean? Isn't, like, real life just RPG? And if you play RPG in life, doesn't that RPG BECOME life for a while? Who's dreaming who, man? What is anything, even?

Life is but a larp.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Research also found that, as airline industry brandings grow and become more international, their logos become more symbolic and less iconic. The iconicity and symbolism of a sign depends on the cultural convention and are on that ground in relation with each other. If the cultural convention has greater influence on the sign, the signs get more symbolic value.

:neveraskedforthis:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
First of all, I've decided the "What is a CRPG?" discussion is pointless. [. . .] I'm starting to think "role playing" is not even compatible with games.
Courtesy of HiddenX. You're welcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom