Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The Walkin' Dude said:
So is there anyone here who didnt help Zoltan or what?

zoltan01.jpg

zoltan02.jpg

zoltan03.jpg

he has the right to be pissed :lol:

Mayday

Augur
Ah, I was wondering why- despite being in act 3- I haven't heard the famous "Devilshit" yet.

made

Arcane
Well, I'm glad to hear that you can't max out all skills on a normal playthrough. Gives them some room for an expansion/mission pack that will be hopefully coming.

As for combat, it is extremely well done. In addition to the aforementioned combos, you also have 3 fighting styles (strong, fast, group) that you can switch between on the fly based on the enemy you are facing. It works out very well most of the time, except some frustrating incidents where Geralt would get stuck in the scenery and couln't reach a mob or instead of dodging/jumping away would just turn in place and get hit. But those are rare and usually it's very fluid and enjoyable.

Ausir

Arcane
From Witcher forums:

Not only have you taken the Aurora engine ( which I have always considered a mid-grade engine at best ) and with your own modifications gotten so much out of it, but you have effectively shown Obsidian to be quack game developers. I have long been a Bioware fan, specifically Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic. Both of these properties were degraded by Obsidian, KotOR not so much, except they basically copied Biowares' set-up verbatim with no developmental improvements at all as far as the engine went, but then what they did with the buggy mess called Neverwinter Nights 2 and it's current expansion is horrendous.

Yeah, NWN2 MotB are horrendous compared to the excellent NWN campaign! Sigh...

Starwars

Arcane
except they basically copied Biowares' set-up verbatim with no developmental improvements at all as far as the engine went

Yes indeed, and how long did Obsidian get to develop KOTOR2...? About a year or something? In that time they managed to churn out a game that I prefer to KOTOR1 by quite a lot, even though it definetely has flaws.

I think NWN2 was pretty horrible at release though, but it was most definetely an improvement of NWN1. Both games were in a terrible state at their releases as far as I can remember (which most likely has to do with the fact that it's a game, toolset and multiplayer thing all in one).

But yeah, I'm very impressed with what The Witcher guys did with the Aurora Engine. Apart from the horrendous loading times, it runs really smooth for me.

Ausir

Arcane
Well, I agree with the guy about CD Projekt making a better use of Aurora than both BioWare and Obsidian, but still both sequels by Obsidian were improvements over the originals.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Just finished tW. Wow.

I couldn't restrain myself from grabbing the hintbook (actually a complete walkthrough - there was one added to the original version) short time afterwards - the ActII investigation quest is a really muthafuckin complex one (too bad I got the best outcome at first playthrough). The hintbook also presents you also all Cs and their Cs.

Combat is awesome - brutal and immersive [/projournalist]. The group style is the winner here - the sixth attack shakes the screen, heads (and the rest of those poor bastards) are flying in all directions, blood is everywhere - veeery rewarding. It's abit overpowered but later in the game it's a bit tricky to use it.

I played on hard (as an unexpected elf-lover) and completed all quests (I believe, except "It won't hurt!") and finished the game on level 39. I had all physical stats, 4/6 fighting styles and Igni maxed out. The rest (except 3 signs) was at second bronze level - the talent system really needs to be re-balaned for my taste. I didn't use any munchkin tactics and all major fights were really hard. For Azar and "end boss" fight I had to drink so many potions it nearly killed me.

As soon as next patch is released I'm playing again. And again if there will be any extension.

Since Act 4 I had to play on lowest details as the game CTDed on larger locations (despite my 2GBs). The story, the dialogues, the NPCs, the artwork, the music - all exceptional.

It surely has lots of flaws, but is a diamond nevertheless.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Still haven't finished the game myself. Probably because I try to explore every nook and cranny. There is a toolset and a sample adventure coming soon though. I'm really looking forward to what the community will do with these.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Trash said:
Still haven't finished the game myself. Probably because I try to explore every nook and cranny. There is a toolset and a sample adventure coming soon though. I'm really looking forward to what the community will do with these.

I took me over two weeks to finish the game, but "Hey, I've collected nearly all cards!"

*reads the "Extensions" thread on official forums*

FUCK!

Direwolf

Arcane
I know for a fact that I missed 3 cards that I could actually get plus another 2 cards that I couldn't get because of the choices I made.

Spoilers:

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that in Act 4 you cannot do the village girl after you've done the elf chick. I am not sure if they are mutually exclusive though.

bozia2012 said:
Trash said:

I took me over two weeks to finish the game, but "Hey, I've collected nearly all cards!"

*reads the "Extensions" thread on official forums*

FUCK!

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Fuck indeed.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Direwolf said:
I know for a fact that I missed 3 cards that I could actually get plus another 2 cards that I couldn't get because of the choices I made.

Spoilers:

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that in Act 4 you cannot do the village girl after you've done the elf chick. I am not sure if they are mutually exclusive though.

I did them in that order: Celina, elven_chick@cave and some random village girl (she wanted a candy).

Texas Red

Whiner
bozia2012 said:
Just finished tW. Wow.

I couldn't restrain myself from grabbing the hintbook (actually a complete walkthrough - there was one added to the original version) short time afterwards - the ActII investigation quest is a really muthafuckin complex one (too bad I got the best outcome at first playthrough). The hintbook also presents you also all Cs and their Cs.

Cool! I thought the investigation was linear. My computer got infected by some serious shit, hopefully I can still use those saves I put on rapidshare, but this one time I actually really want to replay and see the differences.

How is the ending? No spoilers but was it well done?

BTW, you did yourself a major fail. You should never look for spoilers even if you finished the game.

MasPingon

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:

Linear, but pretty well done. You are way too overpowered in epiloque, they should work on balancing this game better in the next patches. Outro cinematic is just jaw dropping

suleo

Scholar
The game is superb. In fact I would change the rating from 4 to 5 in the other thread:). It has some annoyances but as a whole, it's great.

I'm on the second playthrough now, again on hard but playing as pro-order. I still think that the game needs a "superhard" mode, especially later on. Or perhaps making a larger set of monsters incineration-immune. Igni is way overpowered at the end.

Superhard mode with all monsters doing 2x damage and having 2x hitpoints would be great though (apart from the Beast and some over very strong monsters, those don't need a boost).

Nael

Arcane
Kingston said:
The combat can get very visceral. The more you link those combos together the faster Geralt starts hacking away (the animations are superb, yes yes "graphix whore"...) until the screen starts shaking at your awesome power.

Same here except for the fistfight minigame. I've got the sword combat down pat, but for some reason the fistfight combat seems horribly broken or I am doing it horribly wrong. I have the strength and dexterity bonuses for fistfighting but when I try FF'ing Geralt just looks like he's cringing. I get a fist icon and I try holding down left mouse... nothing. I try holding it down and tapping when the fist icon goes from big to small, a'la regular combat... nothin. I try mashing left mouse and the animations get buggy looking, like I'm waving my hands around and my opponent starts having seizures. Usually the other guy just wails on me while I stand there doing nothing. The only way i can win is just button mash the guy out of the arena, but I can't punch a thing to save my life.

dragonfk

Erudite
Mayday said:
Hahaha! Check this out:
http://www.thewitcher.com/resources/upl ... c_1_pl.jpg

If you'd rather have a good laugh than not have a spoiler for the book, check out the guy in the lower left with a loooong nose.

IMPORTANT BOOK SPOILER:
It's the emperor of Nilfgaard

MayDay dammit take that spoiler out of your post. I know you made the font small, but if anyone accidentally reads it then he has spoiled ending of The Witcher series. Change the colour of the font to match the background or smth.

Will playing the game spoil pretty much everything about the books for me? I'm getting The Last Wish soon, but obviously, I'd have to wait a long time for the others in any case.

Mayday

Augur
dragonfk said:
MayDay dammit take that spoiler out of your post. I know you made the font small, but if anyone accidentally reads it then he has spoiled ending of The Witcher series. Change the colour of the font to match the background or smth.

lol

Read your entire post (including the quote) very carefully.

Jimbob: I'm in the middle of act 3. So far, the tragic ends of a few in-book Geralt's friends have been revealed.

Direwolf

Arcane
Yeah. The Innkeeper in Act 4 pretty much tells you the whole plot of the series if you ask him to tell you some legend.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
Fuck indeed.

Ughh just go there by yourself - read some pages for that thread and be amazed. It seems the game was made for dumbfucks after all - it will sell well :)

The Walkin' Dude said:
Cool! I thought the investigation was linear. My computer got infected by some serious shit, hopefully I can still use those saves I put on rapidshare, but this one time I actually really want to replay and see the differences.

BTW, you did yourself a major fail. You should never look for spoilers even if you finished the game.

Well - if you have IQ above 50 you should solve the investigation quest correctly. Otherwise there are lots of points where you can go wrong (and still think it's ok): falsely accuse one of the suspects, conduct the autopsy the wrong way etc. Anyway there is one thing lying somewhere in Wyzima which solves the whole quest correctly... (I stumbled upon it by accident and WHOAA!!! WTF??!!)

The outro is jaw dropping - true. It's pretty short and desn't give you any answers - just more questions (like the whole epilogue). What I liked is that I cared for some of the characters: Shani, Yaevin, Abigail etc. Some of them were too flat (Alvin, Dandelion) to be loved though.

Hintbook: I just checked the investigation and all the Wild Hunt (the undead thing) related quests. WTF is with this Lionhead Spider cult? I managed to find their hideout and kill some of them but it wasn't quest related (if you choose to let the villagers kill Abigail she curses you in the name of the Lionheaded Spider).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom