Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

made

Arcane
Well, mine are in Polish but here you go:

000003 - Wyzima Handlowa (autozapis)-047.TheWitcherSave

^ where "Wyzima Handlowa" is the name of the trade district and "autozapis" means autosave. :)

While we are on the topic of savegames, Witcher has the same problem as all NWNs before it: the save folder grows to ridiculous size after a while. What's even worse, "quick save" creates a new save file every time instead of overwriting the old one, making it so I have to delete 1gb of data after every session. Hope this will be solved in the upcoming patch.

jml

Augur
Patron
made said:

^ where "Wyzima Handlowa" is the name of the trade district and "autozapis" means autosave. :)

While we are on the topic of savegames, Witcher has the same problem as all NWNs before it: the save folder grows to ridiculous size after a while. What's even worse, "quick save" creates a new save file every time instead of overwriting the old one, making it so I have to delete 1gb of data after every session. Hope this will be solved in the upcoming patch.
After one playtrough i had 6,5 gb worth of save files.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The Walkin' Dude said:
Im having a problem. I wrote about it in the official forums

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.p ... #msg168185

Maybe you guys can help? If you cant then please copy paste the full name of one of your autosaves in Trade Quorter(not in buildings).

not sure how this supposed to help but ok
000031 - Trade Quarter-028.TheWitcherSave

Nael

Arcane
jml said:
made said:

After one playtrough i had 6,5 gb worth of save files.

Hmmm.. I don't seem to have this problem. I've had the game since Friday and I'm about halfway thru Act2 and my save folder is 320mb. I quicksave pretty often. Do you have the Polish version as well jml?

jml

Augur
Patron
Nael said:
Hmmm.. I don't seem to have this problem. I've had the game since Friday and I'm about halfway thru Act2 and my save folder is 320mb. I quicksave pretty often. Do you have the Polish version as well jml?
European version. That low size on your part might be explained by you being early on game and not saving as often i. You might want look at how many saves you have. I had over 250 save files and each were atleast 20 mb.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The Walkin' Dude said:
Im having a problem. I wrote about it in the official forums

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.p ... #msg168185

Maybe you guys can help? If you cant then please copy paste the full name of one of your autosaves in Trade Quorter(not in buildings).

From what I remember it's not so easy to make some save-swapping like in the old days - I had similar problem with TQ. I transported original saves from old computer and the game wouldn't recognize them.

Seriously start new game on hard, advance only in one style (not group), one sign (not Igni) and don't pick any "toxicity lowering" and "mana regenerating" feats. This should balance the game a bit :lol:

EDIT: my save folder is 1,5GB - 88 files.

Marsal

Arcane
bozia2012 said:
From what I remember it's not so easy to make some save-swapping like in the old days - I had similar problem with TQ. I transported original saves from old computer and the game wouldn't recognize them.

Seriously start new game on hard, advance only in one style (not group), one sign (not Igni) and don't pick any "toxicity lowering" and "mana regenerating" feats. This should balance the game a bit :lol:

EDIT: my save folder is 1,5GB - 88 files.
TQ had some serial key complications. As for saving, why not use only f5 for quicksave (autosaves are separate, so it isn't much of a problem if you manage to mess up with quicksave). Also, why not delete half of the saves every day? You only "need", let's say 7-8 newer ones.

suleo

Scholar
Actually it's a good idea to prune old savegames. At the end of my first playthrough, it was taking forever to load the savegame list when I was starting a new game. The problem was simple: the save folder was over 6GB (300 saves) so going over all of those to populate the list took a while.

By the way, I am playing the game a second time now and making different choices. The game has consequences abound, some smaller some greater and some that will not become evident until the very end. I really liked the consequences of the "guard the crates from drowners" quest in Act 1, if you decide to kill the elves. Then the fisstech trader is alive, but more importantly, Vivaldi is accused of a crime and taken to prison, because Haren Brogg ratted out his nephew. That took me completely by surprise....

And of course there are some very important consequences that are revealed in the very end, and are based on some---at the time---completely mundane and trivial dialog choices you make in a previous chapter.

Marsal

Arcane
Cassidy said:
Is this game good enough to justify buying a whole new PC? Because I didn't upgrade mine for a long time(I guess 4 years is relatively long time for PCs) due to the lack of worthwhile games, thus it was enough to run all the good ones I liked and bought.
Depends on your financial situation. 700-800$ should be enough for a decent PC that can play all the new games. For just one game, I would say no. But if you intend on playing NWN 2. MotB and let's say STALKER and Medieval 2 (to name a few good games), then go for it. What PC do you have at the moment, anyway? Maybe you could upgrade, but I doubt it would be good move.

suleo

Scholar
Forget it. Your MB doesn't support newer CPU architectures or faster RAM. Most likely you're on AGP as well, not PCI-E (although that is not totally a given).

A good C2D machine with a good MB and a decent video card (e.g. X1950pro) would be around $700. *Especially* if you don't need to buy disks, monitors or any other stuff like that.

pug987

Scholar
Cassidy said:
I won't need to buy nothing of the "stuff like that" but a DVD-RW and a 120 GB HD(because I guess I'm going to need a Windows Vista partition by then besides my Linux and Windows XP ones).

Unless you already have hard drives that you're going to use for your new pc I'd strongly suggest getting a much larger disk than 120GB cause with Vista, XP and Linux you'll probably have less than 20GB for all the other programms. Hard disks aren't that expensive. Unless you're aming for a Raptor, a 300gb disk is pretty cheap.

suleo

Scholar
Forget 120G. I got a WD 500G SATA2 drive a few months ago for about $100 or so. A good HD and a dvd-rw would be less than $150 total---even less if you go for 300 instead of 500G, but the price difference isn't worth the loss of space, in my opinion.

Besides, you can never have enough disk space...especially if you plan to triple-boot.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Soooooo...do people recommend to get this game *now*, or wait until it is patched a bit more, the SDK is released and it gets mods etc.?

vrok

Liturgist
Right now. There's nothing holding it back that will make a dramatical difference to a few patches from now because I really don't believe the loading or dialogues will improve *that* much. You will want to replay the game, to find out what would've happened if you'd chosen the other options, anyway.

I guess it depends on if you have other things to occupy your time, but if you're just dying to play one of the best games of this year, go for it.

Marsal

Arcane
suleo said:
Forget 120G. I got a WD 500G SATA2 drive a few months ago for about $100 or so. A good HD and a dvd-rw would be less than $150 total---even less if you go for 300 instead of 500G, but the price difference isn't worth the loss of space, in my opinion.

Besides, you can never have enough disk space...especially if you plan to triple-boot.
QFT. Game installations are almost in the 10 GB range nowadays. Witcher is 8 GB (I think) + saves. Vista takes 15 GB (cca.) + swap file. 320 GB is a minimum, but 500 is better (compare the prices and buy best value). I'd recommend WD or Samsung.

Core 2 Duo is a great proc, but you can buy Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (or 4000+), because the MB (good) is much cheaper (if money is an issue). New batch of cards is coming in about a week, so don't go for 1950 or any other "last gen" card, although they are good. There will be much better selection and the new cards support DirectX 10 (not a big deal now, but you never know).

New CPUs are coming in a couple of weeks also, just FYI.

@Deacdo: If you have 2GB RAM and meet the recommended specs, buy it now. If you meet only the required specs, buy it, if you are a patient person :)

Deacdo

Liturgist
w00t. I got the Euro version working. Game runs decently w/ everything maxed. I'll buy the NA version tomorrow.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Question:

Are all the Ultra Heterosexual™ (OMG! I Love b00bies! OMG! I want to sex0r hawt chix!) quests completely optional side quests? Or are these part of the Main quest?

suleo

Scholar
They aren't even quests to begin with.

There is only one exception to that, in Act 3. But it's a nice quest with a choice to be made at the end!

And of course, it's optional.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So.... any, uh, males to seduce, while we're at it? Just, uh, asking for Jaesun.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Jasede said:
So.... any, uh, males to seduce, while we're at it? Just, uh, asking for Jaesun.
You have to go to the Bioware forums to ask about Mass Erect.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh no, why? Bioware is all "Let's include Lesbians! No one minds Lesbians. Lesbians are hot. At least largely-bosomed fantasy alien Lesbians from space. Wanting to fuck Mako-chan. Oh god, I gotta run to the toilet a second."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:

Thats not what I am asking. Playing as a Ultra Heterosexual Male™ is a big turn-off for me, in a game. I just am wondering if in the MAIN plot, am I forced to sex0r hawt chix, profess my love for big b00bies?

Texas Red

Whiner
Jaesun said:
Question:

Are all the Ultra Heterosexual™ (OMG! I Love b00bies! OMG! I want to sex0r hawt chix!) quests completely optional side quests? Or are these part of the Main quest?

Getting laid may be a "reward". For example you could beat up the thugs who have been harassing whores and shagg a prostitute for free. Sometimes, however, you can choose to have an actual relationship and admit your love. I made it to Act 3 before losing all of my saves and there was a situation where I had to choose between 2 love interest, both characters from books. Of course these are all optional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom