Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

You dumbass troll - he knew Geralt would have been killed by the Professor, so he flanked him and closed in to become the greater threat.

Edit: So he sacrificed himself to save Geralt. I wasn't gonna add that, but I thought you might need it.
Why Geralt didn't use his power then instead of starring in front of the ennemy like a fucking morron(he is supposed to be as fast as light)? I mean this giant Dumbfuck knew Aard sign at that time,the fact that sign can knock off an ennemy even a tough one and he doesn't even use it against a dangerous Threat.
This game is retarded.
In the actual setting all of Geralt's powers are supposed to be much, much weaker and only get amped up to usefulness due to videogame syndrome. Like Geralt wouldn't have a chance to hurt someone with Igni, he'd be able to use it to start a campfire for himself. And amnesia Geralt would be even weaker. He's certainly not some Jedi that can force pull away weapons and shit.

Geralt was fucked in the head/recovering and Leo was a rookie that assumed he would die. I'm not saying the game is perfect, but I had a lot less problems with the story in this game than I had with the sequels.

If logic is a problem for you in W1, I hate to think of the autistic rage you will encounter (nowhere near as high as mine) in W3. Imagine my version of Geralt surviving on ironman mode throughout both games, and then sliding down a little hill and getting 1-shot by a 5' drop at the end...
Do you have an explanation for the little kid that saw his mom dying, EATEN by beasts and not giving a shit about her(litterally the kid said " I don't know them much I don't care ")(This is some serious shit writing there)? because some stupid guards closed the gate too early even though there were many along with the witcher and could have handled all of the monsters easilly without any death.

That was his foster mother and he'd already seen his real mother get killed by monsters. He's been chased by a lot of shit for a long time and he basically gets semi-randomly possessed by spirits or something. So yeah he's basically dull to the pain. Also this is a serious gritty grimdark setting where people aren't expected to start crying on the spot whenever something bad happens, as opposed to people on twitter in the 21st century who have their day moderately inconvenienced.

Duralux for Durabux

That was his foster mother and he'd already seen his real mother get killed by monsters. He's been chased by a lot of shit for a long time and he basically gets semi-randomly possessed by spirits or something. So yeah he's basically dull to the pain. Also this is a serious gritty grimdark setting where people aren't expected to start crying on the spot whenever something bad happens, as opposed to people on twitter in the 21st century who have their day moderately inconvenienced.
I didn't expect him to cry or something but at least to have some empathy for the women who was in charge of him and sacrificied herself for him. There was nothing, voice actor was as dead as the kid under ghost badtrips.
In the actual setting all of Geralt's powers are supposed to be much, much weaker and only get amped up to usefulness due to videogame syndrome. Like Geralt wouldn't have a chance to hurt someone with Igni, he'd be able to use it to start a campfire for himself. And amnesia Geralt would be even weaker. He's certainly not some Jedi that can force pull away weapons and shit.
I'm sorry but amnesia doesn't lower IQ. During the scene he had the IQ of the lead brick. Standing there waiting leo to back up his ass while looking at his enemy like a fucking Moron.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
George Duroy Well fella, if you get snagged on everything like this you consider nonsensical then W1, 2 & 3 are gonna be a chore. And in my opinion W1 is the best. There are various 'boss' fights and I suggest you read about each critter before you fight them, otherwise you're gonna have a hard time.

W1 made the most sense to me. The story didn't trigger me at all. What really boils my piss in games is getting 1-shot by stuff that doesn't make sense. I could bitch at CDProjekt for showing me the intro movie in W1 (where pre-amnesia Geralt jumps from a tower and makes a Marvel landing) and then ask them why Geralt falls off a big rock in W3 - when he's at the height of his mutant power - and dies instantly.

But that's a mechanical issue. You seem to be pissed with the story. I'd suggest keeping an open mind and finishing it first. Alvin was an oddity from the start - he was written that way, and I thought it made sense.

Duralux for Durabux

George Duroy Well fella, if you get snagged on everything like this you consider nonsensical then W1, 2 & 3 are gonna be a chore. And in my opinion W1 is the best. There are various 'boss' fights and I suggest you read about each critter before you fight them, otherwise you're gonna have a hard time.

W1 made the most sense to me. The story didn't trigger me at all. What really boils my piss in games is getting 1-shot by stuff that doesn't make sense. I could bitch at CDProjekt for showing me the intro movie in W1 (where pre-amnesia Geralt jumps from a tower and makes a Marvel landing) and then ask them why Geralt falls off a big rock in W3 - when he's at the height of his mutant power - and dies instantly.

But that's a mechanical issue. You seem to be pissed with the story. I'd suggest keeping an open mind and finishing it first. Alvin was an oddity from the start - he was written that way, and I thought it made sense.
First I have to make apologies toward Witcher's fans.
I was too harsh toward it, but after playing it a few hours, I can say that there is very good sense of adventure coming through it . The music is Really good, well-made. It's what I expect from an RPG. Also, contrary to Witcher 3, I have the need of continuing my party from where I left the game and that's a good plus right there. Furthermore, alchemy is delightfully complex, Art-wise there is some serious hard work put into it. On a side-note, I loved the bird's animations when you cross them, it makes the world alive (little thing but immersion, it counts).
As for now, I'm dissapointed with quests of this game, yet they are mostly FexEx quests with some dialogues and a little C&C put into them but Hey it may gonna get better after some time.
Witcher 1: Troublesome at first, My opinions are quite mixed as for now. But hey on a positive note it's an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderbar

Arcane
The biggest flaw of the witcher - after receiving Aerondight from Lady of the lake, Geralt just throws Berengar's silver sword away because there is no spare inventory slot.

As for now, I'm dissapointed with quests of this game, yet they are mostly FexEx quests with some dialogues and a little C&C put into them but Hey it may gonna get better after some time.
it gets better as the game goes on.
Act II features "Vizima Confidential", a really good overarching investigation with intricate scriptwork and a ton of interconnected moving parts.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
begun playing this game, encountered Graphics problems, textures glitches, huge bugs, and Gameplay Sucks at an astronomic degree in the first zone of the game, this game doesn't sound promising at all. I'm playing the """"""""""""""""""""Enhanced Version"""""""""""""""""""""""""".Shall I continue trying to """"""enjoy"""""" this game?

I replayed it earlier this year and had no real technical problems. Game is worth playing for mood and atmosphere mostly, the same things the sequels excel at. The combat sucks ass, and half the quests are meh, but the rest are pretty good. If you're a Kingmaker style combat and mechanics fag, you're never gonna like it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
The biggest flaw of The Witcher: being unable to jump fences, forcing me to take long detours.

Things were worse in W3. Especially in combat, when you've got archers 1 level up in a decrepit house firing down at you, and you need to get to them without jumping. Or when you're out in a boat and the sirens attack (and start pulling the boat apart) and you can't jump out of it to engage them in the water. Without glitching through the boat in that 'special place'.

I could go on. But W1 gave me a lot less hassle moving around than W3 did.

Duralux for Durabux

Currently playing act 3, I have to say it'a decent game when you get used to it. Ironically, I always return playing it from time to time,it has this old atmosphere coupled with this old CRPG quest design( side quests tied to the main quest e.g) that I really enjoy. Plus the global ambiance is charming and the music is engrossing. On a different note, It's one of the few games that makes reading interesting both story-wise and gameplay-wise,great gamedesign. I don't know why they threw it out of the window for Witcher 3.
Strangely, I'm even more dissapointed about what Witcher 3 turned out to be after playing the first game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Currently playing act 3, I have to say it'a decent game when you get used to it. Ironically, I always return playing it from time to time,it has this old atmosphere coupled with this old CRPG quest design( side quests tied to the main quest e.g) that I really enjoy. Plus the global ambiance is charming and the music is engrossing. On a different note, It's one of the few games that makes reading interesting both story-wise and gameplay-wise,great gamedesign. I don't know why they threw it out of the window for Witcher 3.
Strangely, I'm even more dissapointed about what Witcher 3 turned out to be after playing the first game.
Look what they took from us.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Heh...
While Witcher 1 is a great RPG, but it's pacing and structre leaves alot to be desired
The first chapters are a mess of criss-crossing fetch quests that require you to partake in the most boring of backtracking
What keeps it engaging then is the presentation and plot - gameplay wise it's easily one of the worst early games of any RPG
The last act on the other hand, is a glorified meat grinder
Really the middle is the comfiest and most engaging portion of the game

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Most i loved the swamp area and the snowy areas at the end.
But agreed that overall the atmopshere (music, presentation) really carries the game.
I mean the main menu theme music is just phenomenal, along with the gritty background image. Really sets the tone.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
When Geralt hunted striga, he was no more than 20 years old.
If I am not mistaken, at that time he was a young man, in The Witcher 3 Geralt was already 57 years old.
57 in witcher years though. The guy's still got a lot of life in him.
In addition, he suffered many serious injuries in the book series that left him disabled. In the last book, he was literally pierced with a pitchfork.
Wouldn't magic healing island have fixed all that crap? Brought him back from the dead.

Communist

Prospernaut
Possibly Retarded
Wouldn't magic healing island have fixed all that crap? Brought him back from the dead.

If I'm not mistaken, he was buried on Avalon. Ciri became Guinevere in earthly reality, Geralt died in the last book.
Also, the great merit of the creators of the game about The Witcher is that they resurrected Geralt, and did it officially.
There is such a Russian writer, Nikolai Perumov (an Armenian nobleman by origin, family name Perumian), who created the Saga of the Necromancer Fess. The plot of this Saga was stolen by the creators of Dragon Age (just like the creators of Mass Effect stole the plot of Babylon 5).

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
If I'm not mistaken, he was buried on Avalon. Ciri became Guinevere in earthly reality, Geralt died in the last book.
Also, the great merit of the creators of the game about The Witcher is that they resurrected Geralt, and did it officially.
The books are a little vague about if Geralt dies or if he's suppose to return one day like king Arthur is suppose to in some stories(I like to go with this interpretation), Although the final book season of storms that was written later and is more of a stand alone adventure hints very heavily that he does end up returning. Since this is the witcher 1 thread though, we should obviously go with their interpretation of the end. Ciri doesn't become Guinevere though, she just goes to that world. Also CDPR did not do anything Official. It's pretty much fan fiction. Books are canon to the games but the games aren't canon to the books.

ekrolo2

Learned
The books are a little vague about if Geralt dies or if he's suppose to return one day like king Arthur is suppose to in some stories(I like to go with this interpretation), Although the final book season of storms that was written later and is more of a stand alone adventure hints very heavily that he does end up returning. Since this is the witcher 1 thread though, we should obviously go with their interpretation of the end. Ciri doesn't become Guinevere though, she just goes to that world. Also CDPR did not do anything Official. It's pretty much fan fiction. Books are canon to the games but the games aren't canon to the books.
This is more or less accurate of the whole situation, the games and books have way too many incompatible story beats to the point where you can't even say all the books are entirely canon to the games. W3 especially contradicts a lot of things that happened in LotL and TotS. Not to call the games bad over this, in a decade of shit, pointless sequels the CDPR Witcher's easily stand out as good, in-spirit continuations, even if they don't get the nitty-gritty details down.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Yet another retard who thinks that the human body is made of procelain once it reaches 50.
Get over it, old man. You're past your prime and it's all down hill from here.

Aha. I've worked with 50 year olds that can labour all day without breaking a sweat. I've seen 60 year old tradesmen jump from 8' high scaffolding regularly over the course of a working day without a second thought. The original point was whether a 57 year old super human altered by mutagens can jump off a boulder a few meters high without shattering like a piece of porcelain and dying instantly. If you wanna go down the autistic "metalurgy and how to produce the best katana" route as applied to the human body, feel free. I won't participate.

Because anyone with a basic amout of common sense and a bit of life experience knows it was just a "This is the way the game is made" decision made by CDProjekt. Probably meant to increase the amount of time you spent exploring the open world.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Heh...
While Witcher 1 is a great RPG it's pacing and structre leaves alot to be desired
The first chapters are a mess of criss-crossing fetch quests that require you to partake in the most boring of backtracking
What keeps it engaging then is the presentation and plot - gameplay wise it's easily one of the worst early games of any RPG
The last act on the other hand, is a glorified meat grinder
Really the middle is the comfiest and most engaging portion of the game
I'll tell you what's there to be desired--the women CDP encourages you to fuck. Women with vaginas. And you even get rewarded with illustrated erotica and a quaint little folk tune for doing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom