Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

laclongquan

Arcane
Why the hells are you troubled yourselves with the difference between books and games?

Even if the games are out first, its novelizations are nothing worth reading (or relinked with the games) ever. See PST, or BG (bhaalspawn) series

Witcher would get same treatment with Bhaalspawn~

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Most i loved the swamp area and the snowy areas at the end.
But agreed that overall the atmopshere (music, presentation) really carries the game.
I mean the main menu theme music is just phenomenal, along with the gritty background image. Really sets the tone.
They did my boy Adam Skorupa a dirty.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most i loved the swamp area and the snowy areas at the end.
But agreed that overall the atmopshere (music, presentation) really carries the game.
I mean the main menu theme music is just phenomenal, along with the gritty background image. Really sets the tone.

I also loved the fields in Act IV. Lady of the Lake area too. And the Prologue. Act I wasn't bad either, but indeed, by Act 2-3 the backtracking, running back and forth and pacing did get old.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'll take backtracking through a couple of small locations over backtracking through a vast open world filled with repeatable activities any day.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Even if the games are out first, its novelizations are nothing worth reading (or relinked with the games) ever. See PST, or BG (bhaalspawn) series
What do you mean "Even if the games came out first"? Surely original books are typically better than game based books. And have you read the witcher books? Are you in to fantasy books? Just trying to get an idea of what side you're judging them from, Some one who's not in to fantasy novels or hasn't read the books wouldn't really have an opinion worth considering on this topic. A lot of people would disagree with you on them not being worth reading, including me.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'll take backtracking through a couple of small locations over backtracking through a vast open world filled with repeatable activities any day.
I'll also take backtracking through memorable well designed areas than lifeless area after area like a lot of open world games. When a level is smaller in scope, it's a lot easier to fill it up and make it good. I can still remember my way around the witcher 1 areas while barely remembering witcher 3 areas and always needing a minimap and pointer to get anywhere.

laclongquan

Arcane
PST and BG proved that novelizations are bad and worse. I am interested in DnD setting because of them, not vice versa.

Same way with Witcher or Fallout~ I am interested in the setting because of the games, not because of the novels and TVs.

Novels, SF or Fantasy, that I like are very hard to put into games

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
PST and BG proved that novelizations are bad and worse. I am interested in DnD setting because of them, not vice versa.

Same way with Witcher or Fallout~ I am interested in the setting because of the games, not because of the novels and TVs.

Novels, SF or Fantasy, that I like are very hard to put into games
So did you attempt to read them or not? BG and PST had novels written based off of them, not the other way like witcher. Witcher was a big series already before the games came along (in Poland at least). They aren't books that have to be 'gamified' which is what usually ruins novels or movies based off of video games. Plus video games usually have shit stories/characters compared to novels, which is why it's a bad idea to make books based off of games; because even the best video game is just a mediocre book.

laclongquan

Arcane
PST and BG yeah. Witcher, no. A polish novel series, what's so interesting about it?

The problem of you fanbois is to assign game's fame and value to novel's, and vice versa.

But they are two different line of products, sharing some common things.

If they are the same things, the LotR, or Star Wars, Star Trek, Spiderman etc... games would be great things to play, not some forgotten and lost thingy~

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I don't even know what you're trying to say. You're all over the place. A polish novel is as interesting as any other novel can be, and in this case I'm saying they are good. No body is saying the games are good just because of the books and that any good book can make a good game. We're just talking about the books and how they relate to the games because it's interesting and we're lore whores.

laclongquan

Arcane
No no, my basic attitude is that Witcher novels are nowhere near as important or interesting as you fanbois hype it up. it's of importance to us gamers because of the games, not vice versa. Thus if the games are in contrary to the novels, so much the worse for the books~

Same as Sigil setting, or Forgotten Realms, or Postapocalyptic West Coast of USA. The games are what matters here at Codex~

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

According to CDProjekt, it's what happens when you get old(er). Your bones turn to porcelain, and if you walk down a flight of stairs too hard, or jump a little bit off your porch, you get 1-shot and every bone in your entire skeleton shatters into countless billions of pieces. Then you end up as a puddle of old(er) human remains on the ground, and they have to scoop you up into a big bucket instead of a stretcher as they take you to the morgue.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
No no, my basic attitude is that Witcher novels are nowhere near as important or interesting as you fanbois hype it up.
And yet you haven't answered the question of if you have read them. If you don't think they're important to the lore of the game then whatever, but to try to criticize a book it seems you haven't read is a little ridiculous. The games constantly introduce characters from the books, concepts from the books, talk about the events of the books. you don't even know who Ciri is without the books. You don't think the books can have an impact on the games at all? Even though the whole reason you're looking for Ciri is based off of events that happened in the books? The bad guys are introduced in the books. Without the books so much is left unexplained because CDPR are too lazy to include a paragraph that explains who the wild hunt are, or who Ciri is and why she can do what she can.

Anyways, the books are more interesting than the games.

Codex Year of the Donut
Witchers don't age like humans, can't remember off the top of my head if they actually physically age at all or it's just different.
But we do know Vesemir is old. It's never explicitly stated how old, but we can guess he was probably born around the time witchers first started roaming around. So he's at least centuries old, and Vesemir was not some weak old man.
Also, Geralt is still up to his witcher shit 105 years after the main story, refer to the epilogue of Season of Storms. Yeah, he denies being Geralt, but it's definitely him.

Codex Year of the Donut
No no, my basic attitude is that Witcher novels are nowhere near as important or interesting as you fanbois hype it up.
And yet you haven't answered the question of if you have read them. If you don't think they're important to the lore of the game then whatever, but to try to criticize a book it seems you haven't read is a little ridiculous. The games constantly introduce characters from the books, concepts from the books, talk about the events of the books. you don't even know who Ciri is without the books. You don't think the books can have an impact on the games at all? Even though the whole reason you're looking for Ciri is based off of events that happened in the books? The bad guys are introduced in the books. Without the books so much is left unexplained because CDPR are too lazy to include a paragraph that explains who the wild hunt are, or who Ciri is and why she can do what she can.

Anyways, the books are more interesting than the games.
the books are mediocre and poland owes me reparations for forcing me to read them
they weren't even translated into american until after CDPR released Witcher btw

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Most of the worlds most influential works weren't written in "American." I'm not saying witcher is some great influential work, just that English people like to act like they're the center of the world in everything when most of the worlds greatest works aren't english but some other language and were just translated. It's probably beneficial that they didn't have american cuck critics complaining about his books and trying to force him to change every little thing that offends their sensibilities. English speakers should always be behind, enjoying things only after they've been finished.

Codex Year of the Donut
Most of the worlds most influential works weren't written in "American." I'm not saying witcher is some great influential work, just that English people like to act like they're the center of the world in everything when most of the worlds greatest works aren't english but some other language and were just translated. It's probably beneficial that they didn't have american cuck critics complaining about his books and trying to force him to change every little thing that offends their sensibilities. English speakers should always be behind, enjoying things only after they've been finished.
didn't read lol

ekrolo2

Learned
The Witcher book translations range from poor to meh in English. I read the first few in Croatian, which is much closer to Polish than English and it was like a whole new experience for me. I can't go back to the English ones ever again.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The Witcher book translations range from poor to meh in English. I read the first few in Croatian, which is much closer to Polish than English and it was like a whole new experience for me. I can't go back to the English ones ever again.
Absolutely. They change translators around book 3 though, and he's much better. The fan translations are actually a lot better than the official translations, barring the occasional typos. They're also all free

laclongquan

Arcane
Idiot and obviously Illiterate as well I see. Then to answer your desperate question: NO, I havent read any of the Witcher novels or short stories. And no, they are not interesting enough for me to risk a badly translation version. This is a judgement on the importance of the books: They are not important enough.

And before you try to reiterate the importance of reading those books, it's not necessary. What's been mentioned in the games is enough for me since I always keep the game's settings apart from novels or TVs. And I only deal with the context of the games. Even if the game writers go directly contrary to the books it would not matter since I dont read the books.

It's entirely unimportant if I have read about Ciri in novels. What's been mentioned about her in game is interesting enough,so she's fine. Tomboy infanta incognito who is foster daughter of Geralt, on a desperate flight from Wild Hunt, and she has special quality in her blood to stop the White plague a world destroying crisis. From W3 concepts that should be enough. Anything more unmentioned in the games should have no revelance to the games, so I shouldnt care about them.

Books are books, TVs are TVs. And games, of course, are games. If you think games would follow 100% the books or TVs, you obviously are born yesterday.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I consider all the short stories definitely worth a read (in Polish at least, no idea about the quality of the translations).

The novellas though... they do start to drag more then they are welcome and gain disturbing soap opera qualities...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom