Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Interview

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Vibalist said:
Grunker said:
Vibalist said:
DraQ said:
Vibalist said:
I have to ask, since I feel like a total moron for apparantly being the only one not to get this, but what exactly is so terrible about combat in The Witcher?
I wouldn't call it terrible, but it could use more interactivity and complexity.

Looked good, though.

Yes, I agree with this. I can understand why people would find the combat system a bit underwhelming and simple, but terrible? I don't get that.

Currently replaying Witcher and I'm still loving the combat, and everything combat related, such as preparing potions and oils.

*click* *wait* *click* *wait* *click* *wait*

That's pretty fucking terrible. I like the game a lot, especially stuff surrounding the combat actually, but the combat itself has got to be the most uninventive since Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy.

It's not very complicated, but it's fun. Switching between combat styles when up against numerous opponents (as group style becomes useless once you isolate one or two of them), using your signs at the right time (as endurance recharges too slowly for you to just spam Aard) and considering which potions you want to drink before a fight (as you can't consume more than three or four, at least on the hardest difficulty, without dying), etc.. All this makes for a system that works well and is entertaining. And even though half of the codexers probably wont admit this, the visuals also aid greatly in making the combat great, as Geralt looks amazing when swinging a sword.
It's all the elements adding up that makes combat in The Witcher fun.

The visuals are stunning, no doubt, but I absolutely disagree about the combat. It's an absolute no brainer when to shift stance. After Chapter 1 you're know the system so well, the only function the stances serve are to make you do something while you're in combat.

The Witcher's combat is on the level of Diablo-complicated - it is no where near tactical fun like ToEE or action like Baldur's Gate. Hell, even Dragon Age and VtM:B had better combat.

Gerrard

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Elwro said:
My only problem with TW's combat was that there was too much of it.

Seriously? The whole of the 2nd Chapter is just basically leg work and dialog with only the occasional fight and no dungeon crawling. There are quests that aren't about combat at all. Compare this to any other recent RPG, even MotB, where almost everything basically revolved around combat.
You realize that Chapter 2 is where you first go to the swamp, right?

Vibalist

Arcane
Elwro said:
Yes, but still, would you really deny that there's too much combat in the swamps?

Maybe a bit too much, but I still liked trekking through the swamps. And usually, if the combat got too irritating, you could run away. None of those monsters would pursue you for too long.

Grunker said:
Vibalist said:
Grunker said:
Vibalist said:
DraQ said:
Vibalist said:
I have to ask, since I feel like a total moron for apparantly being the only one not to get this, but what exactly is so terrible about combat in The Witcher?
I wouldn't call it terrible, but it could use more interactivity and complexity.

Looked good, though.

Yes, I agree with this. I can understand why people would find the combat system a bit underwhelming and simple, but terrible? I don't get that.

Currently replaying Witcher and I'm still loving the combat, and everything combat related, such as preparing potions and oils.

*click* *wait* *click* *wait* *click* *wait*

That's pretty fucking terrible. I like the game a lot, especially stuff surrounding the combat actually, but the combat itself has got to be the most uninventive since Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy.

It's not very complicated, but it's fun. Switching between combat styles when up against numerous opponents (as group style becomes useless once you isolate one or two of them), using your signs at the right time (as endurance recharges too slowly for you to just spam Aard) and considering which potions you want to drink before a fight (as you can't consume more than three or four, at least on the hardest difficulty, without dying), etc.. All this makes for a system that works well and is entertaining. And even though half of the codexers probably wont admit this, the visuals also aid greatly in making the combat great, as Geralt looks amazing when swinging a sword.
It's all the elements adding up that makes combat in The Witcher fun.

The visuals are stunning, no doubt, but I absolutely disagree about the combat. It's an absolute no brainer when to shift stance. After Chapter 1 you're know the system so well, the only function the stances serve are to make you do something while you're in combat.

The Witcher's combat is on the level of Diablo-complicated - it is no where near tactical fun like ToEE or action like Baldur's Gate. Hell, even Dragon Age and VtM:B had better combat.

Whatever you say jefe. I think it's the way all the little touches come together that makes combat in The Witcher a lot better than combat in a game like Diablo. Yes, it is simple and very easy to know when to shift stance, but this doesn't mean it's not also damn fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom