Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2 combat changed but not dumbed down

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>CDPR&rsquo;s Tomasz Gop spoke with Videogaming247 and reveals some info on what is in store for us in The Witcher 2:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>&ldquo;First of all, the combat has absolutely not been dumbed down,&rdquo; Tomasz Gop, senior producer on The Witcher 2, is keen to assure those of us that have gathered for this online Q&amp;A session. &ldquo;Nor has the game been consolised,&rdquo; he continues.</p>
</blockquote>
<blockquote>
<p>The &lsquo;fast&rsquo; and &lsquo;heavy&rsquo; combat styles from the first game are still present and, as before, each works better against a light or heavy-set foes. This time around the styles have been mapped to left and right mouse buttons respectively, allowing you to chain your attacks on the fly without having to switch between one move set and another.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>There&rsquo;s also more emphasis on the &lsquo;signs,&rsquo; Geralt&rsquo;s magical abilities that allow him to shoot fire from his finger tips or protect himself from attacks with a shield of electricity. It&rsquo;s now possible to charge and aim these attacks, giving Geralt limited ranged combat options as well as being able to set traps for enemies.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Gop goes on to discuss gameplay details, some reiterated and some new. There will be 16 &lsquo;states&rsquo; in which the main plot, which Gop places at some 40 hours of gameplay, can end.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The fist fights and poker dice from The Witcher 1 make a return, though both have been tweaked, with QTE elements added to the former and physics to the latter, allowing you to manipulate the rolling of the dice. A new arm wrestling mini-game has been added and there&rsquo;s now the chance to take control of characters aside from Geralt, with Gop confirming that Geralt&rsquo;s bard companion, Dandelion, will be playable for parts of the game. At this stage, it&rsquo;s not clear in what capacity you&rsquo;ll play as him, or whether any of Geralt&rsquo;s other companions, such as spellcaster Triss or the irascible Zoltan, will be available to play.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>CD Projekt has built a new game engine from scratch and the appearance of the game has benefitted greatly with some smart lighting effects, but the biggest improvement has been in the character models. The interface, too, has been overhauled, with abilities and magic now accessible from a radial menu that allows on-the-hoof selection and looks to further streamline combat.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Gop was vague when asked about potential plans to bring The Witcher 2 to consoles, stating simply that they would &ldquo;like to see it happen&rdquo;. Nor would he confirm what the team might work on beyond this game, stating that CD Projekt were very much a &ldquo;one-game-at-a-time kind of team&rdquo;. He did quash rumours that CD Projekt might next work on an MMO, however.&nbsp;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And don't forget, the DRM free version can be <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/page/tw2v2?as=1649904300">pre-ordered here a GOG</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/22/witcher-2-gop-details-combat-confirms-pc-controller-support/ ">Videogames247</a></p>

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The fast and Heavy combo are a good choice for a Action oriented game.

Every thing from DMC to God Of War and so on uses a variation of this.
The Deept comes from the combo's, abilities and how it is uses.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The phrase "dumbed down" has such negative connotations.
Overall, Gop’s promise that “the combat has been made more accessible,” rather than dumbed down, seem to ring true.
That's better.
There’s also more emphasis on the ‘signs,’ Geralt’s magical abilities that allow him to shoot fire from his finger tips or protect himself from attacks with a shield of electricity. It’s now possible to charge and aim these attacks, giving Geralt limited ranged combat options as well as being able to set traps for enemies. This is all reminiscent of, dare I mention it, Dragon Age.
The article writer is also dumb. That was already present and I'm not seeing the connection at all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
“First of all, the combat has absolutely not been dumbed down,” Tomasz Gop, senior producer on The Witcher 2, is keen to assure those of us that have gathered for this online Q&A session. “Nor has the game been consolised,” he continues."

Thou protest too much.

then again, TW's comabt was amongst the shittiest combat ever it can't be any worse? RIGHT!?!

Antihero

Liturgist
So I guess that means they dropped group-style? Not sure from that what's so different about the signs either - couldn't you already charge some of them, at least with enough points invested? Edit: beaten to the punch by Roguey.

Black

Arcane
How would they dumb down TW1 combat? Make it "press button, skip battle"?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Roguey said:
There’s also more emphasis on the ‘signs,’ Geralt’s magical abilities that allow him to shoot fire from his finger tips or protect himself from attacks with a shield of electricity. It’s now possible to charge and aim these attacks, giving Geralt limited ranged combat options as well as being able to set traps for enemies. This is all reminiscent of, dare I mention it, Dragon Age.
The article writer is also dumb. That was already present and I'm not seeing the connection at all.
Whaaaaaaat? U No see how Dragon Age created groundbreaking abilities, such as Traps? They even made possible for you to CRAFT Traps, but that was so amazing that people mind blew up, so they removed it from DA 2.

ortucis

Prophet
I only used magic in first witcher a few times aginst some enemies (as a crowd control..) but overall it was a waste of time and dissapointing. So hopefully this time they have made it more useful. Oh and I hope there is more gear (which they have said there is in previews).

Murk

Arcane
Heh, the Igni sign when maxed out was basically auto-win. It was the only one I used after chapter 1, before that Aard was cool to stun some people for a quick kill.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
ortucis said:
I only used magic in first witcher a few times aginst some enemies (as a crowd control..) but overall it was a waste of time and dissapointing. So hopefully this time they have made it more useful. Oh and I hope there is more gear (which they have said there is in previews).

Agreed. With a slightly better melee mechanic and more emphasis on magic, 'could' make the combat a bit more interesting.

As volly put it, it would be kinda difficult to make it any worse. Most of the rest of the game made it worth playing however, so looking forward to TW2.

kasmas

Educated
Ah they took back the infamous witcher was made with consoles in mind statement

curry

Arcane
But of course it's not dumbed down. It just has been changed so that when you push a button, something awesome happens.
ehm9lh.png

Right Potatofags?

curry said:
But of course it's not dumbed down. It just has been changed so that when you push a button, something awesome happens.
ehm9lh.png

Right Potatofags?

As opposed to the original? Please enlighten me, I'm genuinely curious to know how you managed to find a use for more than one button in the first game's combat. I can only guess that your version came with attacks that weren't included in mine.

made

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
I'm genuinely curious to know how you managed to find a use for more than one button in the first game's combat. I can only guess that your version came with attacks that weren't included in mine.
LMB, RMB, hotkeys for styles, signs, pots... wait, why do I even bother lololol witcher combat suckzzz ballzzz dragon age 2 ftw!!!

curry

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
As opposed to the original? Please enlighten me, I'm genuinely curious to know how you managed to find a use for more than one button in the first game's combat. I can only guess that your version came with attacks that weren't included in mine.

Metro said:
In before Witcher apologists.

1zx1n43.png

Baron

Arcane
Bunch of Street Fighter II playing Koreans in here...

Witcher 2 will be the penultimate RPG. A true open magnum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom