Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2: Cutscenes of Kings

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Ever thought your games don't have enough cutscenes? <a href="http://play.tm/interview/32084/cd-projekt-on-the-witcher-ii/2/" target="_blank">Then this game is for YOU!</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>One of the big things you guys have been talking about is how The Witcher II will have more cut scenes and more storytelling than the first game. How do you guys feel about narrative and cut scenes, given that gaming seems to be taking steps away from cut scenes in many respects?</strong><br /><br />TG: There are two things. First thing is that we have more cut scenes than in The Witcher because the story is less linear, you won't be able to see all of them within one playthrough of the game. This is the main reason why the number is bigger. The second thing is that I'm not afraid to say is that, with having a game based around the story, cut scenes are one of the important tools that we use. If we want to introduce a character, giving the player freedom over the camera during that time might make him miss something really important.<br /><br />MZ: Moreover, sometimes we show the players things that the character in the game doesn't actually see, so the cut scene is the only way we can do that. You don't always see everything that Geralt does. Sometimes we show a different aspect of the situation and we have to use a cut scene there. He's the main hero of course, the game's following him, but then again it's just like in a movie or a book, sometimes you know more, sometimes you know less. It's a plot trick but it makes the game deeper and more fun.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>As long as dryad-sex is in I'm happy.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100049-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-interview.html">GB</a></p>

Ancient

Erudite
So i understand there won't be more cut-scenes than in 1st in one playtrought
So it's kind a ok

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
MZ: Moreover, sometimes we show the players things that the character in the game doesn't actually see,
I fucking HATE this trend in rpgs. You should only know what your character knows, especially if you're making choices, because otherwise your opinion will be informed by things you shouldn't actually know. The sad thing is how much of a standard this thing is in rpgs, and how everyone assumes it's a good thing. Even PST did it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Dicksmoker, my friend, my buddy, are making a basic assumption. You equal the characters in game controlled by us with US, the gods almighty,the know-all, omnipotent, the final arbiters of those gameworlds. Obviously we know more than what the characters know.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dicksmoker said:
Even PST did it.

True. PST also did the opposite - but that's not half as bad, and can be beneficial for a game. The Nameless finally got to know what his name was - we didn't.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
laclongquan said:
Dicksmoker, my friend, my buddy, are making a basic assumption. You equal the characters in game controlled by us with US, the gods almighty,the know-all, omnipotent, the final arbiters of those gameworlds. Obviously we know more than what the characters know.
And I'm saying it shouldn't be that way in an rpg where C&C is an important feature (for what should be obvious reasons).

relootz

Scholar
Dicksmoker said:
laclongquan said:
And I'm saying it shouldn't be that way in an rpg where C&C is an important feature (for what should be obvious reasons).

It's just not doable, some things are impossible to do. Even if is a must-be feature.

1eyedking

Erudite
MicoSelva said:
True. PST also did the opposite - but that's not half as bad, and can be beneficial for a game. The Nameless finally got to know what his name was - we didn't.
Ah, I loved that feeling. Very proper P&P RPG, as in I'm controlling an outsider character and not an extension of my super-ego (like in every other masturbatory RPG out there).

I miss you, Black Isle.

PS: Gotta replay that motherfucker pronto.

KalosKagathos

Learned
1eyedking said:
masturbatory RPG
393px-Sex_Celina.png

Rhalle

Magister
Ancient said:
So i understand there won't be more cut-scenes than in 1st in one playtrought
So it's kind a ok

This is a hint that W2 will be significantly shorter than W1.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So basically it will play out like the first but with more obvious 'Choose-Your-Own-Adventure' style path breaks that alter nothing other than the cut scenes you are shown.

1eyedking

Erudite
Exactly. No complaints here, though.

I could ask for turn-based combat, companion NPCs, a deeper alchemy system, item crafting, no quest compass, but that's like asking AoD to be released by 2011: too much.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sure it will be fine for what it is -- I don't treat Witcher as a true RPG, just a third person/over the shoulder ARPG.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They'll definitely release a Steam version but I don't think they're using Steamworks by default.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom