Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition 2.0 Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>RPS did an <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/27/which-witcher-is-the-witcher-2-2-0/" target="_blank">informative interview</a> with CDProjekt's Adam Badowski, mainly on the subject of the 2.0 patch.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>RPS: Which do you regard as the most important of these changes and why? </strong></p>
<p><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p>Badowski: All of them are somehow important. The forty plus technical improvements because they bring the game closer to being perfectly polished. The new tutorial could prove really valuable to those about to start their first playthrough &ndash; and we suspect this could be quite a large group, as good RPGs have a long lifecycle. On the other hand, those who wanted and planned to play the game again will, I think, really appreciate &lsquo;Dark&rsquo; mode. Finally, there&rsquo;s the &lsquo;Arena&rsquo; &ndash; the single biggest added feature that should bring a lot of people enjoyment. Hmm, so which one wins? Probably &lsquo;Arena&rsquo; mode!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>RPS: Do you think the new tutorial will genuinely make the game more accessible for newbies? How does it do that?</strong></p>
<p><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p>Badowski: Absolutely &ndash; yes. It starts off by explaining very basic things, like quest completion, looting items, using the Inventory and quest log, and preparing potions (alchemy). After introducing all these elements, it leads players to an arena, where combat movements and tactics are explained step by step. Anyone who completes the tutorial should have no problem understanding how to play the game and figuring out the tactics to be against different kinds of opponents.</p>
<p>I mentioned that part of the new tutorial is set in an arena. This basically means that these two new modes are interconnected, though you don&rsquo;t need to complete the tutorial to have fun in &lsquo;Arena&rsquo; mode. While neither of these features link into the main story of the game, they themselves constitute a kind of short story. I feel I need to stress this, as I want to make sure that people don&rsquo;t think of the tutorial and &lsquo;Arena&rsquo; modes as simple elements stripped of any and all narrative. Both of these features incorporate story elements, including dialogue and voice&ndash;overs. All this was done in the name of providing more fun and promoting immersion in the game world.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Plus, <a href="http://thewitcher.com/public/files/download/Version2.0.pdf" target="_blank">here you can read the changelog</a> for the new enhanced 2.0 version of The Witcher 2.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Tutorial - The game tutorial takes the form of a brief adventure during which players learn how to use a range of game mechanics and functionalities. Assuming the role of game protagonist Geralt of Rivia, players save a wounded knight named Bolton of Ironford while learning game controls as well as the basics of combat and alchemy. This transpires step by step as the tutorial guides players through a series of minor missions. Upon completion, based on demonstrated abilities, the tutorial recommends the difficulty level which the player should choose in embarking on the main adventure of The Witcher 2.<br /><br />Dark Difficulty - The &bdquo;Dark. difficulty setting is the most demanding difficulty level in gameplay terms. Under this setting, each and every foe represents a significant challenge. In addition to raising the difficulty bar, the module includes several new sets of equipment/items that are linked through a dark legend detailed in the Journal. Once all their components have been collected and donned, the Blasphemer.s, Oathbreaker.s and Kinslayer.s outfits provide great advantages in combat. The swords included in the outfits strip opponents of Vitality while supplementing the witcher.s. However, given that they are cursed, the swords provide no benefit and harm Geralt by sapping him of Vitality as long as the outfits to which they belong remain incomplete.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105018-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-20-changelog-and-interview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I will be disappointed (though hardly surprised) if "Dark" mode is just bloated hp values and 1-shot attacks for every enemy in the game. I hope it is something a little more inventive to increase the difficulty. Anyway, seems like I will be giving Twitcher2 at least one more playthrough.

Soulforged

Scholar
Rivmusique said:
I will be disappointed (though hardly surprised) if "Dark" mode is just bloated hp values and 1-shot attacks for every enemy in the game. I hope it is something a little more inventive to increase the difficulty. Anyway, seems like I will be giving Twitcher2 at least one more playthrough.
The only thing that would improve that combat gameplay, for starters at least, is to make running and rolling cost something (like endurance for example), right now every fight that's not on closed quarters can be approached by running around and rolling, attacking and repeating.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Rivmusique said:
I've gotten the impression that it's a "difficult easy-mode". It's the same difficulty level as "insane" but you can save your game (and I'll say right here that I have no idea what that means. couldn't you save in insane?) and you get access to the most powerful equipment, so called "dark items". There's probably a couple more features to it. Maybe.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, it's already dropping to $29.99 after tomorrow, so you may grab it for $10 in one of those steam sales.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Why didn't they just release the full version in the first place? :smug:

Deleted member 7219

DarkUnderlord said:

Money. Revenues from Witcher 1 probably wouldn't cover the cost of a full Witcher 2, and they would have wasted a hell of a lot on the failure of Rise of the White Wolf.

made

Arcane
700MB? WTF were they thinking?! That's a month's salary worth of bandwidth for the average Australian!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
DarkUnderlord said:
Incompetence, they needed to learn stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom