Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
R

The combat is janky af, especially compared to the best aRPGs out there (your Souls, Niohs etc.), but it's still leagues better than the abomination from the first game. I remember liking the combat back in the day, mainly because I really, REALLY hated TW1 combat, but it has aged very poorly. I also played on the Dark difficulty, which proved to be a mistake due to the terrible lack of tightness and responsivity, janky enemy animations and hitboxes from hell. The only reasonable way forward is to go with a heavy alchemy build and be constantly drugged which dramatically boosts your damage and arrmor so you don't get one-shotted all the time.

What's funny is that combat in Witcher 3 feels even more awkward than Witcher 2's. I don't find it intuitive or fluid at all. And compared to TW2, that's pretty bad.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The Witcher 2 is one of those games that I can get a craving to replay. But then once I play it, I have this feeling of waiting for that awesome part of the game... that never comes. It just stays a rather boring slog throughout the entire game, despite the story and writing being quite good.

The Act 2 split is impressive, but neither of the paths are very fun to play through. No part of the game is unfortunately.

And the whole time-travel battlefield thing in Act 2... uuuuuugh, fuck I hated that part.

Yeah that quest is basically an overly long cutscene that's designed to waste your potion buffs. Its shit.
Cool idea and monster design, but poorly executed for a game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's funny is that combat in Witcher 3 feels even more awkward than Witcher 2's.

In some ways it's very similar. But if you replayed TW2 now you'd see the combat is generally slower and jankier.

Btw I did play with a bunch of mods, including some bundles and "better combat" ones, so I don't really know what the vanilla played anymore. I know instead of rolling I had a pirouette dodge - is that the EE or some mod? - which was actually worse bc mobs would often hit you in the back while you try to pirouette away from them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It just stays a rather boring slog throughout the entire game, despite the story and writing being quite good.

I don't really understand how a super storyfag game like this can have a good story and be boring at the same time. Storyfag games are only boring if the plot, characters and writing is boring. And in TW2 those are exceptional. And the gameplay is not bad enough to spoil the fun, at least for me.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I disagree about the combat in Witcher 1. Its not supposed to be played over the shoulder, but form isometric view. Its a good hack and slash combat system.
Overall i liked Witcher 2 the most of the trilogy, Witcher 3 last place. Although Witcher 1 has the best ambiance and atmosphere.

Semiurge

Cipher
I also played on the Dark difficulty, which proved to be a mistake due to the terrible lack of tightness and responsivity, janky enemy animations and hitboxes from hell. The only reasonable way forward is to go with a heavy alchemy build and be constantly drugged which dramatically boosts your damage and arrmor so you don't get one-shotted all the time.

Dark difficulty is the only difficulty it should be played on. Nekkers and wraiths of chapter 1 will give you trouble...for a while. Those bugs on the other hand are laughably easy to outmaneuver, even the queens.

I disagree about the combat in Witcher 1. Its not supposed to be played over the shoulder, but form isometric view. Its a good hack and slash combat system.
Overall i liked Witcher 2 the most of the trilogy, Witcher 3 last place. Although Witcher 1 has the best ambiance and atmosphere.

Again the combat is so piss easy that it doesn't matter if your view distance is reduced. In chapter 2, if you're tough enough to wipe out the wyverns that guard wyvern island the rest of the game will be cake. Like with the wyvers, having the poison resistance attribute matters a lot with those poison barb shooting archespores. If you don't invest points into that, you'll have a bad time. The only major challenge you'll face later will be the koshchey.

index.php

Arcane

Windows Version Update (17 May 2023)​

• added support for Galaxy achievements
  • improved support for modern controllers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom