Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2 Has Sold Over 2.2 Million Units

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 2

You may be happy to hear that according to The Nexus News CDProjekt's smash-hit of yesteryear The Witcher 2 sold more than 2.2 fantastillion copies. That's a lot of potato and means CDProjekt are now one of Ze Big Playas in the cRPG industry.
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition was first released on May 2012, it was later released on XBox 360 and Mac in 2012. Before the Mac release the estimates were around 1.7 Million copies in total across PC and XBox Platforms. After the release was expanded to Mac the sales had reached nearly 2 Million in total. Now after the steam and GoG (Good old Games) Holiday sales that had a large 75% discount – the sales increased and surpassed 2 Million sales in total, and leave the new estimates somewhere over 2.2 Million copies sold or gifted in total.

This huge sale has increased the anticipation for the upcoming sequel The Witcher 3 – which according to rumors it will be released sometime next year (2014).

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an action RPG developed by Polish studio CD Projekt RED for Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360 and OS X.
Here's hoping that part of the success was due to our very own praising and glowing review.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good for CDProjekt. I enjoyed Witcher 1, but didn't play Witcher 2 as I heard they took out a lot of player tactical options from the first one and after reading the Codex review lampooning some of their decisions. But still, I'm glad there are still RPG companies out there succeeding.

Micmu

Magister
at least 2,2 million retards, go figure

I enjoyed Witcher 1, but didn't play Witcher 2
Same here. Fuck yet another lame console OTS hack&slash.
But still, I'm glad there are still RPG companies out there succeeding.
I reckon you mean other than CDProjekt.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just think if Wasteland 2, Project: Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, and the like have half the appeal of Witcher 2.

A million in sales at say $10 in profit a copy (very conservative estimate I think) pays for a few kickstart sized projects.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I was going to pick this up on sale - then missed it. Will wait until next sale. I'd say it's worth the $5.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I grabbed it for $7.50 last Steam sale. Good enough price.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was hoping for a figure closer to 3M but 2.2M is a very respectable number, especially for a non-NA developer.

You must remember that this isn't Dragon Age/Mass Effect not only in terms of budget, but also that they sold relatively little on consoles. Take away the console sales of Bioware games and the actual figures are pretty pathetic. CDPR probably hoped for more XBAWKS sales than they got, and I don't doubt that the 'consolisation' of TW2 hurt PC sales as well. It could be for our benefit in the long run as maybe they'll concentrate on a proper PC version without compromises first next time instead of trying to cater for everyone.

Wonder what portion of that figure represents PC sales.

Unlike Bioware, the bulk of the sales are on PC. They were around 1.2 million before the XBox version even was released, and with the recent 300,000 odd surge of sales over the holidays on Steam or GoG(which would be almost exclusively on PC), it would make for 1.5 mil on PC at least.

ADDITION: Personally I hope that CDPR sees that the few hundred thousand console sales as not really worth the effort and those same extra sales plus more would have been just as easily gained on the PC with a little more focus on completing the game properly on the first attempt, making it PC centric and maybe releasing a proper expansion, even if for a few bucks during the time they were spending the effort on porting it instead.

Additional addition for Roguey down below....Well it was a 'hope'...seems they will need to taste the pain some more.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It could be for our benefit in the long run as maybe they'll concentrate on a proper PC version without compromises first next time instead of trying to cater for everyone.
Witcher III and Cyberpunk are both going to be multiplatform from the start, this isn't changing.

scrambles

Educated
CDP should port Witcher 1 to the new RED engine, then they could call it the Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Director's Cut ~Ultimate Edition~ :smug:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
that demonstrates that if you want to sell copies, you have to cater to consoletard popamole kids.

MasPingon

Arcane
Looks like The Witcher 2 sold piss poor on console. If i remember correctly they have already sold 1.7 million of copies more then 6 months ago. Which means The Witcher isn't "intuitive", "grey" and "non-linear" enough for a wider audience yet. I'm sure our CD Projekt takes notes and won't let it happen to Cyberpunk 2077

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Witcher 1 might as well have been multiplatform from the start given it's on-rails world design.

It's decent. Far better than the shit they keep shoveling down our heads for the past 3 years. Plus Potato Witcher is a pretty cool dude.

Better make Cyberpunk 2077 good, although I know it's gonna be even more consolised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom