Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 is a Fully Open World

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Face Off Game <a href="http://www.faceoffgames.com/section/1164240" target="_blank">are quizzing Tomek Gop</a>, Senior Producer of TW2.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>F.O.G:</strong> <em>You've said that the this game's main plot will be shorter than the original Witcher, but that side content will be much more involved. Can you give us an example of how these side missions will play out?</em><br /><br /><strong>TG:</strong> It's pretty much all about binding the quests with the story. The main plot of the game features the king slayers, so most of the things the player will do throughout the game will involve Geralt trying dig deeper into this thread. Even with things that seem distant in storyline (like for example, killing a huge monster that endangers the town), it still appears that there are strings attached. I don't want to spoil it.<br /><br /><strong>F.O.G:</strong> <em>We've been told there will be no "FedEx missions", that missions wouldn't have the player going from point A to point B delivering packages. Is this really true? Other games in the past have claimed the same, and have failed to delivery. Can players really expect anything different from the Witcher 2?</em><br /><br /><strong>TG: </strong>I guess you're gonna have to wait and see for yourself. I've seen quests implemented and have already played them - it really works. Second thing is, we've got a fully open world right now, so you can explore all parts of locations from the very beginning, so many quests are presented to you at an early stage.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98182-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-interview.html">GB</a></p>

hiver

errm... if all this proves to be true... nah... theyre just lying, right? right?

They cant be that smart and actually really enhance the first game this much - i mean for real.

-edit-

I think he really meant that each location will be fully opened to exploration, not that the world itself is seamless.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
hiver said:
errm... if all this proves to be true... nah... theyre just lying, right? right?

They cant be that smart and actually really enhance the first game this much - i mean for real.

-edit-

I think he really meant that each location will be fully opened to exploration, not that the world itself is seamless.
Each location was fully open to exploration in the first game, so there would be no distinction to be made in that regard.

No, he meant what he said.

hiver

i guess it means we can get to any location from the start... yeah, getting a bit late here. Neurostimulants failing.

Anyaway, if they do all theyre saying they will do i might even buy it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
hiver said:
Don't know about seamless, but he clearly says all the world is open and can be accessed from the very beginning. So far all the stuff he says sounds promising. Now they'd better deliver otherwise they're getting the LIARS treatment that I usually reserve for Bioware.

DraQ

Arcane
Crispy said:
Did Witcher I have level scaling? Don't see how they can pull this off without copious amounts of it.
Through the use of balls in conjunction with brains?

Fallout didn't need it, Morrowind technically had it, but limited and would work just as well without, so why should TW2 absolutely require it?

I'm going to have to get The Witcher (after I get a new computer) so I can get The Witcher II and have my past choices influence it. Sounds cool, and the more side quests in a game, the merrier.

DraQ said:
Fallout didn't need it, Morrowind technically had it, but limited and would work just as well without, so why should TW2 absolutely require it?
Yes, but its coming out on consoles. Next gen (pauses for a moment to laugh) consoles. So questioning the possibility of level scaling is always a wise move.

Donkey Balls said:
DraQ said:
Morrowind technically had it, but limited
All non-human enemies were heavily level scaled. How the fuck is this "limited'?

Hardly heavily. All quests were given by humans, finished by humans, and usually involved interacting with humans. The only level scaled part of the game was pretty much limited to the random encounters you find traveling between cities. Since Morrowind cities and areas didn't really have much of a progression order other then the red mountain it would be very hard to make an effective difficulty for each area that reflected the expected player level at that time. This is a far cry from Oblivion, where everyone and his mother gained a level when you did. Level 40 bandits decked out in full Daedric armor lol.

Amusingly, even fallout has some aspect of level scaling. A number of encounters based enemy equipment on your level when you activated it, and I believe most of the special encounters had some kind of minimum level.

Rhalle

Magister
It was a linear game. If there was any scaling it was minimal. And like I said elsewhere, someone tell me how you make an open-world game with a central plot that doesn't feature scaled enemies. I'd like to hear it.

Some Polack Dude said:
Second thing is, we've got a fully open world right now, so you can explore all parts of locations from the very beginning, so many quests are presented to you at an early stage.

A linear game becomes a shorter game when made open-world. Weird.

I would love to think CDPR has done something wonderful and it just isn't truncated because it will make more money that way, but I just can't.

hoochimama

Liturgist
I believe that in an older interview they said there would be 3 separate main story paths depending on where you go first, and you would need to replay the game to see the other paths, since they happen simultaneously.

Rhalle said:
A linear game becomes a shorter game when made open-world. Weird.

That's generally true. The more time you spend on creating a large world the less you spend on the main questline. This is especially true if they made the plot non-linear. See: Fallout completed in 10 mins. The expectation with open-world games is that the player wants to explore the world and get involved in at least a few of the sidequests with the factions or people he most likes. The only open world game I can think of that is long are the GTA's, and thats because they have pretty much no sidequests other then the silly ambulance missions and collecting hidden crap.

deuxhero

Arcane
Donkey Balls said:
DraQ said:
Morrowind technically had it, but limited
All non-human enemies were heavily level scaled. How the fuck is this "limited'?

The fact that there is an exception proves the "limited", the fact that most of the scaling (which is justified in story) is a chance to give you disease that is easily cured doesn't hurt either. The loot is also not scaled. I can get a daedric weapon of my choice with under 10 mins of gameplay (find the hidden mine, find a lock opening scroll, go to the Haullu guy in vivec)

deuxhero

Arcane
It's all junk and the odd open lock 100 scroll. Plus isn't it based on "luck", not level?

Oh crap, a save game importer? I deleted my very bloated save files because some idiot decided to save them to "My Documents" on my c drive instead of the installtion directory with over 50 free gigs (I have after that figured out I make My Documents go to my x drive, but it's still a stupid thing). I was going to do a 2nd play after I got some more ram and made it lag less.

Donkey Balls

Educated
There is no scaling and much more limited leveling. Many caves and ruins have fixed-level inhabitants. The creatures that spawn and the loot you find in crates depend on your level, but all creatures and attributes have a static level and higher level creatures never completely replace the low level ones. As a result, low level characters will have a much harder time, but high level characters will actually have it easier. No NPCs have leveled armor or weapons -- what they have is what they will always have. Caves and ruins become less profitable as you level up, except for randomly-generated treasure.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morr ... on_Players

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The only games that successfully created a big, real time open world without level scaling retardness are Gothic1&2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom