Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 Is A Pure-Blooded RPG

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p><a href="http://www.cyberludus.com/pc/articolo/7553/intervista_a_tomek_gop_senior_producer_di_the_witcher_2_html/2" target="_blank">Another interview</a> with CDProjekts Tomek Gop surfaced.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>CL: What kind of relationship there is between Sapkowski&rsquo;s series of books and your role-playing game? Which are the traits of the novel you wanted to borrow and to transpose in your game?</strong><br /><br />TG: We&rsquo;ve set the game in a world that&rsquo;s already been invented and written. That&rsquo;s a comfortable situation for us because generic fantasy world requires quite a lot of work to keep it consistent and believable. But the story is of course our own. It takes place after the books have ended, so lots of things are recalled and mentioned. Still however, what happened to Geralt in between is not clear to players. Maybe it will be clear someday&hellip;</p>
<p>...</p>
<p><strong>CL: Finally, is there a message that you would like to deliver to the public about you or your current or future project?</strong><br /><br />TG: I think a lot of people really like the way we&rsquo;ve modified combat in The Witcher 2. Well, it&rsquo;s great to know we&rsquo;ve done good work, but I hope no one gets disappointed by the fact that, since it&rsquo;s a pure-blooded RPG, combat is not the main feature of the game. I mean, if you&rsquo;re into action, there&rsquo;s going to be quite a lot of it for you in the game but The Witcher 2 is a story-driven game. We&rsquo;re not making action-RPG, or hack&amp;slash, so I just hope people won&rsquo;t say &ldquo;hey, combat in TW2 is not like in. God of War series (for example!) so the game sucks&rdquo;. If the game sucks for the story, the hero, the world &ndash; that would hit us really hard.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98499-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-interview.html">GB</a></p>

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
since it’s a pure-blooded RPG, combat is not the main feature of the game.

FFS

I agree regarding the 'sigh' at the quote, but it could be worse. I don't trust any company in this market to make an enjoyable tactical rpg. Almost all crpgs have combat as the 'main feature', in that they are filled to the brim with fuckloads of boring trash mobs (see: Dragon Age). A combat focus these days doesn't mean tactical challenge - it means minimal strategy but lots of time wasted fighting identical combats with neither tactical nor reflex challenge.

Given that, a crpg focussing on world and story isn't a bad thing. FO wasn't exactly combat focussed either - not that FO, or any game ever made, lives up to the pedestal some folks here put it on (yes, it's one of the best crpgs made, if not the best - it still isn't the tactical and C+C perfection that some seem to treat it as). Given how badly combat is done these days, I'd rather it not take up too much of my time. Or at least not too many identical trash mobs - if they cleared out most of the trash from your standard Dragon Age esque game, that's fine with me.

Achilles

Arcane
If what they're saying is true, Witcher 2 just made it into my list of promising RPGs (a very short list admittedly).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
since it’s a pure-blooded RPG, combat is not the main feature of the game.

FFS
"I mean, if you’re into action, there’s going to be quite a lot of it for you in the game" is more rage-worthy. They know it's lackluster but have to add a ton of it anyway to pad out game length and draw in people who just want to click things to death without too much thinking.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Because action = clicking things to death without thinking. Pick a copy of DMC 3 or Ninja Gaiden one day, kid.

Monocause

Arcane
What he tried to say was that although combat is an important part of the game it's not what the dev team wanted the game to be based upon, working on story and related stuff to fit that role instead. No less, no more. The interview wasn't really interesting or informative.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
KalosKagathos said:
Because action = clicking things to death without thinking. Pick a copy of DMC 3 or Ninja Gaiden one day, kid.

Yeah,
'cause I'm sure we can expect the Witcher 2's combat to be very close to those 2 games.

Jackass.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
KalosKagathos said:
Um, the guy in the interview said that it wasn't a hack and slash or anything comparable to God of War. You think the combat in The Witcher requires a lot of thought?
I played Devil May Cry 3, it was a pretty cool with fun brick wall bosses. The fourth one was so babysteps, handholding easy in comparison even on "normal" (not human) with turbo on and I'm guessing TW2 will be closer to that if anything.

KalosKagathos

Learned
latexmonkeys said:
Yeah,
'cause I'm sure we can expect the Witcher 2's combat to be very close to those 2 games.

Jackass.
My point is that dedicated action game fans which the game is presumably being marketed to don't like to mash.
Roguey said:
Um, the guy in the interview said that it wasn't a hack and slash or anything comparable to God of War. You think the combat in The Witcher requires a lot of thought?
I don't. It just sounded to me like you dismissed an entire genre as thoughtless clicking.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
KalosKagathos said:
I don't. It just sounded to me like you dismissed an entire genre as thoughtless clicking.

He doesn't, but I do. Popamole shit, you're a faggot, and if that's your idea of thinking then you need to start trying to think for real, etc etc. How does that make you feel?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Serious_Business said:
KalosKagathos said:

He doesn't, but I do. Popamole shit, you're a faggot, and if that's your idea of thinking then you need to start trying to think for real, etc etc. How does that make you feel?

SB you're one of my favorite posters because of the little details you add in your posts. Without that last punch line the post would have been completely trite. That last sentence made it awesome.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Serious_Business said:
Makes me think that Dynasty Warriors is the only action game you've played.

Rhalle

Magister
TG: I think a lot of people really like the way we’ve modified combat in The Witcher 2. Well, it’s great to know we’ve done good work, but I hope no one gets disappointed by the fact that, since it’s a pure-blooded RPG, combat is not the main feature of the game. I mean, if you’re into action, there’s going to be quite a lot of it for you in the game but The Witcher 2 is a story-driven game. We’re not making action-RPG, or hack&slash, so I just hope people won’t say “hey, combat in TW2 is not like in. God of War series (for example!) so the game sucks”. If the game sucks for the story, the hero, the world – that would hit us really hard.

Jesus Christ, apologize for a shitty combat system and appeal to ARPEEGEE fanbois (fanbois since FO3 anyway) harder next time.

Anyway, I too have serious reservations about the W2 combat I saw in the E3 videos; it didn't look good: bodiless, unreactive, overdone exxxtreme, poorly animated.

It looked worse than W1 which, while simple and repetitive, at least had guts and was really visceral, and you could make a really cool-looking ballet of death if knew what you were doing and you tried.

Any key on the release date of it?

Q1 2011

Monocause

Arcane
You've recently developed a penchant for one-liners, Konjad. How does that make you feel?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Konjad said:
Still however, what happened to Geralt in between is not clear to players. Maybe it will be clear someday…
Yes, the day they read the books.

Pretty sure they mean what happened in between the books and the first game. From what I know, at the end of the last book Geralt dies and is mysteriously resurrected with amnesia some time before the first game began. From what I remember of the game, it hints that the King of the Wild Hunt (or whatever the ghostly dude's name was) played a role in it but never really focuses on the why/how of it, though TW2 sounds like it might.

mondblut

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
since it’s a pure-blooded RPG... if you’re into action, there’s going to be quite a lot of it... If the game sucks for the story, the hero, the world – that would hit us really hard.

He means to say a "pure blooded RPG" is an action game which happens to have sucky gameplay?

I wish I could line up all storyfags against a wall and shoot them one after another. I really wish to.

MetalCraze

Arcane
mondblut said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
since it’s a pure-blooded RPG... if you’re into action, there’s going to be quite a lot of it... If the game sucks for the story, the hero, the world – that would hit us really hard.

He means to say a "pure blooded RPG" is an action game which happens to have sucky gameplay?

I wish I could line up all storyfags against a wall and shoot them one after another. I really wish to.

It looks like the "story-driven" is an universal excuse for the games sucking horribly nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom