Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher 2: Killing in the Name

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>... of love? IGN apparently had some hands-on time with <strong>The Witcher 2</strong> and they're <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/114/1146395p1.html" target="_blank">sharing their impressions</a>.</p>
<p>It appears that CDProject decided to go all ambitious on our asses while bringing their RPG to the next level. Perhaps even to the next but one level.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Figuring that a dreaded succubus is behind the murders, Geralt and Dandelion quickly dispatch a few enemy stragglers en route and head for the home of a nearby suspect. Upon arrival, Dandelion reluctantly volunteers to venture into her underground lair at the risk of being ridden to death by the "hoofed hag" while Geralt lurks outside her den of iniquity. The things you do for your mates. But just when it looks like they've nailed their suspect, it transpires that someone under the succubus' spell is actually going around killing her lovers in a fit of jealousy. And to avoid even spoiling this tiny portion of the game, the curtain falls and we're shown no more. Sad times.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Sounds good. I don't think even Mass Effect 2 had succubi, CDProject's really pushing the envelope here.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>As you would expect, overhauling and improving the combat system has also been a key focus for the team. Although we weren't allowed to try it for ourselves, this time around, the team is promising a "more dynamic" system that it reckons will make it a far more engaging and rewarding experience. "You'll be able to combine magic and sword attacks in the way that wasn't even possible in The Witcher," we're told. And thanks to the flexibility of the new RED engine, it has been possible for the team to script the combat encounters in a less conventional way, so that, for example, optional endings can be added to epic monster battles, or non-linear encounters where the outcome depends on more than your raw skill.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16628">RPGWatch</a></p>

Captain_Obvious

Scholar
The life of a gaming ''journalist'' sure is easy these days... We didn't see it but, we were told, didn't try for ourselves, promising this and that, 9.5/10, buy it. Meh.

denizsi

Arcane
I want to buy the ultra super herp-a-derp edition but owning that Geralt bust automatically makes you a fag and I don't want to become a fag.

denizsi

Arcane
Oh? Ok then.

Jools said:
denizsi said:
I want to buy the ultra super herp-a-derp edition but owning that Geralt bust automatically makes you a fag and I don't want to become a fag.

Go for the slightly less supa-herp-a-derp one then, the only difference is basically Geralt's bust, and it still comes with shitloads of goodies http://buy.thewitcher.com/preorder-premium-en .

No. The stuff that comes with premium version are what we should have been getting, and what we would have gotten back in the day, with the regular version. And I want the art book, cards, the coin and the dice set (but art book is the primary point of interest there). Why would you even make any non-regular edition without the art book? It's such a rip-off.

FatCat

Educated
denizsi said:
Oh? Ok then.

Jools said:
denizsi said:

Go for the slightly less supa-herp-a-derp one then, the only difference is basically Geralt's bust, and it still comes with shitloads of goodies http://buy.thewitcher.com/preorder-premium-en .

No. The stuff that comes with premium version are what we should have been getting, and what we would have gotten back in the day, with the regular version. And I want the art book, cards, the coin and the dice set (but art book is the primary point of interest there). Why would you even make any non-regular edition without the art book? It's such a rip-off.

premium edition is regular version , it's just called premium for some reason.

denizsi

Arcane
FatCat said:
premium edition is regular version , it's just called premium for some reason.

I could swear I saw somewhere a plain regular version with just the game manual as an extra.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I enjoyed the super-special-expanded-upgraded version of The Witcher I just finished. I will probably buy this.

Assuming of course it doesn’t suck monkey balls.

Bros, I 'm totally going to screw the "hoofed hag" and get a boobie card. If CD Project doesn't let me do that then... :x :decline:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
EURO%20HERO7.jpg

The hoofed fag seems more in your league, bro.

Phelot

Arcane
And thanks to the flexibility of the new RED engine, it has been possible for the team to script the combat encounters in a less conventional way, so that, for example, optional endings can be added to epic monster battles, or non-linear encounters where the outcome depends on more than your raw skill.

Their examples don't really explain what they're talking, how a new game engine will make combat more enjoyable or complex, nor what exactly a "non-linear encounter" is in their opinion.

In short, hype, hype, and more hype without any actual substance other then that we should take their word that "it'll be cool!"

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
phelot said:
And thanks to the flexibility of the new RED engine, it has been possible for the team to script the combat encounters in a less conventional way, so that, for example, optional endings can be added to epic monster battles, or non-linear encounters where the outcome depends on more than your raw skill.

Their examples don't really explain what they're talking, how a new game engine will make combat more enjoyable or complex, nor what exactly a "non-linear encounter" is in their opinion.

In short, hype, hype, and more hype without any actual substance other then that we should take their word that "it'll be cool!"

What you don't believe in the glory that is Cdprojeck ARE you a blasphemer MAYBE!!! the great Potato GOD's will sort you out! Heretic!

Phelot

Arcane
Also, why is it that gaming journalists can't simply describe a game's quest design and it's structure and give us their impressions of it as opposed to actually telling us what happens in a quest and how they think that's p. cool and that it's somehow OK that they just spoiled a quest?

Kind of like how a good movie review is able to tell us about the plot or pacing or whatever without having to tell us that BRUCE WILLIS IS ACTUALLY DEAD AND THE BOY HAS A TALENT FOR SEEING DEAD PEOPLE MY GOD THIS WAS AWESOME BUT ITS ONLY A SMALL PART SO ITS OK WE CAN TELL YOU

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Witcher 2 has nowhere to go but up. Outside of it's semi-engaging story and setting (which is largely due to the author of the books and not CD Projekt) the original is vastly overrated and mediocre at best. It barely qualifies as an RPG (and isn't even that great as an action hack-n-slash).

torpid

Liturgist
phelot said:

They've adopted the AAA PR-speak wholesale. And judging by the results, especially compared to other european titles, that's what it takes to get noticed by the gaming press.

Metro said:
Witcher 2 has nowhere to go but up. Outside of it's semi-engaging story and setting (which is largely due to the author of the books and not CD Projekt) the original is vastly overrated and mediocre at best. It barely qualifies as an RPG (and isn't even that great as an action hack-n-slash).

Storyfags -- the Codex is crawling with them. Add the Poles and you get a large portion of the forum raving about the game. I remember lurking during the dark days, when only a few posters like DarkUnderlord were fighting the good fight with their voice posts, trying to push back on the "omg the Witcher is so dark and gritty and awesome and hardcore!!" The combat consisted of QTEs, ffs.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
torpid said:
phelot said:

They've adopted the AAA PR-speak wholesale. And judging by the results, especially compared to other european titles, that's what it takes to get noticed by the gaming press.

Metro said:

Storyfags -- the Codex is crawling with them. Add the Poles and you get a large portion of the forum raving about the game. I remember lurking during the dark days, when only a few posters like DarkUnderlord were fighting the good fight with their voice posts, trying to push back on the "omg the Witcher is so dark and gritty and awesome and hardcore!!" The combat consisted of QTEs, ffs.

You know what i remember the god old days before a bunch of new fags came and started to act all emo and edgy to earn there KKK points.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
CrimsonAngel said:
You know what i remember the god old days before a bunch of new fags came and started to act all emo and edgy to earn there KKK points.

The irony is that such 'edginess' has the opposite effect to what they hope for.

SoupNazi

No, the real irony is that they learned to be superficially edgy from the supposed oldfags.

Dantus12

Educated
Looking great . Based on what is known the game is very flexible about the players decisions and impact on the world.

The new systems for magic, swordsmanship, alchemy and weapon/armor crafting look like a welcome addition to the very limited influence on the character progress the player had in the first one.

Geralt's ability for separate specializations sounds interesting like Witcher-Swordsman, Witcher-Alchemist, Witcher-Sorcerer.

In addition injuries, will be based on character development, being heavier or lighter, and no longer depend solely on the martial skill.

Also, really looking forward to the save import, remains to be seen how much impact that will have.
The devs said that one can not experience the entire game in one playtrough and see everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom