Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview The Witcher 2 - of Battles & Boobie Cards

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Jason, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

Gamespot managed to score one of the <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher2/news.html?sid=6254071&mode=previews&page=1" target="blank">first previews</a> of the highly anticipated Polish history docudrama, <b><a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/" target="blank">The Witcher 2</a></b>.
    <br>
    <blockquote>Though the combat system isn't finished, it currently lets Geralt dish out combination slashes with his sword by starting out with a few light slashes and then ending with a strong slash, similar to the combat systems of third-person console action games like the God of War series. However, the final version of the game will bring back different combat stances, just like in the original game, and let you mix and match various attacks from different styles freely, rather than having to manually switch styles. In any case, even the early version of combat we saw is brutal and bloody. After sending a dozen or so elves to meet their respective makers, we finally arrived at the outskirts of Flotsam, at which point Iorveth called off his archers and regrouped with the Kingslayer, who cryptically remarked that he had once ambushed Geralt while the Witcher suffered from amnesia. </blockquote>
    <br>
    And more importantly, the preview answers the question that's on everyone's mind: what about the boobie cards?
    <br>
    <blockquote>This scene set up the game's overhauled romance gameplay, which will be completely different from that of the previous game. In fact, the previous game's romance system, which rewarded you with collectible girlie cards for every woman you came to know intimately, has been scrapped. Instead, throughout The Witcher 2, Geralt can pursue relationships with various female characters through dialogue options and the occasional gift to unlock an ongoing cinematic sequence. In this case, with the two adventurers trapped in a buried elven ruin, Triss started a conversation by asking what should be done next--whether the pair should try to escape or wait to be found by their companions. Naturally, Geralt chose the option to wait. </blockquote>

^ Top  
  2. Murk Arcane

Murk
    so QTE combat IS out?

^ Top  
  3. Rhalle Magister

Rhalle
    At first I was like PC, but then I XboXd.

^ Top  
  4. KalosKagathos Prestigious Gentleman Learned

KalosKagathos
    Is it just me, or does it look like the preview's author only watched the intro of the original game?

^ Top  
  5. Barrow_Bug Cipher

Barrow_Bug
    I'll buy it. I love games that are grimdark.

^ Top  
  6. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    My thoughts exactly. I also think we're going to get a lot of this. TW got a lot of bad-to-mediocre scores from large review sites that complained about the non-console interface and/or only played the first chapter. Those sites got caught off their feet when people actually started liking the game. Expect a whole lot of previews by game journalists pretending that TW was one of their favourite games while unintentionally revealing that they never played the game and didn't even cover it before release due to the lack of bribes.

^ Top  
  7. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    The Codex foresaw this a long time ago.

^ Top  
  8. Lesifoere Liturgist

Lesifoere
    So, Codex: we'll be able to have Geralt go through the whole game bare-chested, showing off his sculpted abs to advantage and possibly to distract female/gay monsters. How's that, fellows?

^ Top  
  9. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  10. Arcanoix Scholar

Arcanoix
    ARE THAIR ACHEEVEMENTZ TOO!?!!??!

OHBOIOHBOIOHBOIOHBOIOHBOI...

^ Top  
  11. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Clearly an attempt to diversify the market. Female gamers will go *swoon* over the bare-chested Geralt!

^ Top  
  12. KalosKagathos Prestigious Gentleman Learned

KalosKagathos
    Fixed. [​IMG]

^ Top  
  13. Arcanoix Scholar

Arcanoix
    Diversify? You mean just make the game console-based and make the PC version just a 3/4-assed port.

And what the fuck is with Geralt looking like a yid now anyway? And his hair - it's oriental looking! And who cares about banging some virtual 3D bitch? The console gamers who play sports games all day. I'm pirating it, plain and simple.

^ Top  
  14. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    No, I mean that the announced changes make the game more appealing (supposedly) to women.

^ Top  
  15. Hamster Arcane Patron

Hamster
    Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    Re: The Witcher 2 - of Battles & Boobie Cards

Now we know that the game will have an awesome story.

^ Top  
  16. Monocause Arcane

Monocause
    This preview, while not very informative, does seem to point out that the strong points of the first game are still there while the weak ones (combat, economy, lack of companions) got changed a lot.
    I'll buy it. I only hope they won't fuck up the new engine and that the game will be playable on somewhat older systems.

^ Top  
  17. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    I liked the old Geralt much more, this one looks more like Geralts son.

^ Top  
  18. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    It has been overhauled

^ Top  
  19. Gobbo Novice

Gobbo
    The models will be changed or so I've heard.

^ Top  
  20. Dionysus Scholar

Dionysus
    I also expect to see a lot of the fans of the original turn on this one, in part because the original was overrated in certain circles, and in part because it will be deemed “consolized” regardless of how similar it is to the original.

^ Top  
  21. Lothers Scholar

Lothers
    Cool! Can't wait :) BTW "If you'll import your saves from TW you'll get your old "look" (Geralt's face I suppose), swords, items..." - excerpt from Polygamia.pl preview.

^ Top  
  22. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    You mean like this?

However, this makes me happy:
    This also sounds pretty cool:
    Though I have to wonder how much of it, if any, is a QTE.

So you might actually play it, then?

^ Top  
  23. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    pre-order customer detected already.

^ Top  
  24. Lesifoere Liturgist

Lesifoere
    Well of course, girlfriend. Wouldn't you pre-order too?

I'll be tempted to make a day-one purchase, but caution's taught me to wait for reviews first. So far, though, there's nothing about this that has put me off. Provided that whole "huge hentai monster attempts to court Geralt but he plays hard to get with explosive traps" event isn't QTE.

Not his face, surely. I'm pretty certain they mean all the special/rare items you got in the first game, like the bulky raven armor. It'd be... bizarre if importing your save changes Geralt's look considering IT'S STILL THE SAME GODDAMN CHARACTER. This isn't Commander Shepard with a custom face generator here.

My favorite part of the preview:

Yeah, I'm real mature.

^ Top  
  25. CrimsonAngel Prophet

CrimsonAngel
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I am her by announcing the first mod Boob cards.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.