Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News The Witcher 2 Toolkit Released

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Crooked Bee, May 13, 2013.

1. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 2

CD Projekt RED have released the REDkit toolset for The Witcher 2. Eurogamer reports:

The REDkit toolset was used to create The Witcher 2 and is now freely available online, currently in an open beta. You can download yourself a copy now from thewitcher.com/redkit.

Players can use the tools to develop their own mods for the game - or alternatively create a new RPG altogether.

CD Projekt has designed REDkit to be used by modders of all skill levels. It includes a powerful array of tools to build terrain, invent quests, design characters and weave non-linear stories.

"For CD Projekt RED, RPGs are all about telling amazing stories. We want to give players the power to tell the same kind of non-linear, branching stories that made The Witcher games so popular," CD Projekt RED boss Adam Badowski said.

"Our fans have helped us for years to make our games the best they can be, and REDkit is part of embracing our community as a partner in game development."​

There is also a trailer accompanying the release:

[Insert jab at The Witcher 2 here.]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. MapMan Arcane

MapMan
    :incline:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    [Insert jab at The Witcher 2 here.]

:thumbsup:

Pop those moles!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. MapMan Arcane

MapMan
    : x

^ Top  
  5. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    How many copies did the PC version of this game sell? I wonder what the potential audience is for a mod with this. Gotta think like a publisher, guys.

If anyone pokes around with this and has some comments please come back and post them here.

^ Top  
  6. Monocause Arcane

Monocause
    Well, audience is one thing. The other is that I've insider knowledge that some of the guys who made quality mods for the first one ended up being snatched by the REDs, so I'd wager devoting time and effort on this one can pay off in more than just e-cred, if you're interested.

^ Top  
  7. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Witcher 1 had 'quality' mods?

^ Top  
  8. Monocause Arcane

Monocause
    I wouldn't know since I never played any of them, but that's what I heard. Of course, quality is a subjective quality, qualitatively speaking.

^ Top  
  9. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Too bad they didn't release this along with the game, but it's always nice when developers give free toolkits.

^ Top  
  10. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    No, they were all pretty terrible.

^ Top  
  11. crawlkill Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

crawlkill
    it's pretty hard not to love a dev who gives a product this much "...but why are you even doing this?" support. it's great to see a company actually valuing goodwill. I have no idea how CDPR can afford to put the level of post-release work into TW2 that they have. must be dem big GoG bucks, huh?

but seriously, even if nothing cool ever gets made with this, it's great that they cared enough to find the time to do it. A++.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    It's pretty easy not to love them when the games they make are mediocre at best. They could give all the post-purchase support in the world and offer free cookies and blowjobs but it really doesn't matter. That's CD Projekt in a nutshell: all presentation and no substance.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    5 million copies sold, self published, working for potato, not hard to imagine them being able to afford this.

^ Top  
  14. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    And you are posting shit again.

^ Top  
  15. Black Arcane

Black
    Can I play as naked Triss yet?

^ Top  
  16. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Not at all, you're just a butthurt fanboy taken in by companies who publish mediocre titles but wrap them up in fancy packages. I think Double Fine needs a little more of your whiteknighting... sally forth!

^ Top  
  17. toro Arcane

toro
    "Design non-linear quests" ... such empty words.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. odrzut Arcane

odrzut
    It means you can have branches in graph of quest states. Well, would be stupid to have graph without branches :)

^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    As in Mass Effect?

^ Top  
  20. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Someone confirm/deny whether or not this is a UE3-derivative please tia.

^ Top  
  21. SmartCheetah Arcane

SmartCheetah
    Not really. It's similliar in few aspects, but most of the time I found it way different (more intuitive in places, while in others - expotentially worse)
    Still, I wouldn't call this "noob friendly tools" they were talking about somewhere in their interviews. Plus, this beta is extra buggy and it crashes kinda often.

Now, after spending like 4-5 hours on it, I can mess around with terrain, create shitty surroundings, make skyboxes and place things. Haven't touched the dialogs/scripts just yet. Oh, I also "know" how to make the protagonist look different, but in a very cheap way (Eg. inventory won't work)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    well, that's mighty kind of them.

^ Top  
  23. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    /smug remark about game I haven't played

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    /edgy remark about David Gaider.

/thread.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Black Arcane

Black
    /smuggier remark about devs who support their games with free shit regardless of their quality

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.