Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2 Toolkit Released

Malpercio

Arcane
any loli geralt mod yet

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Quick thoughts based on 1 hour of dicking around. Note that I have not even taken a look at how creatures, scripting, quests, etc. work at all, just the basics of level editing.

To me it is like a fusion of Unreal Engine and CryEngine. Unreal similarity comes from the asset browser as well as the reliance on having to define areas for a lot of things, for example navigation and environment effects. Materials editor is also kinda similar in concept. CryEngine similarity comes in the UI, like how you switch between various "tools" using the right-hand pane, and a few features like being able to paint colors on terrain instead of materials.

I don't know if I like certain aspects of the workflow. I think the content browser in Unreal is useful but it takes up too much space and can get confusing and disorganized; the asset browser in RedKit is very similar and shares its weaknesses and strengths. I really do not like having to click back and forth between the browser and the main viewport just to add different instances of objects, because it means you need 2-3 more extra clicks than if the asset browser was implemented as a sidebar or list view instead. The asset browser seems to depend on having a multi-monitor setup. Don't have one, too bad for you.

I am also the kind of person who likes to constantly go between editing terrain, placing objects, and so on, so having to open and close the various tools can get a little tedious for the way I approach things. At a big studio, where presumably you would have teams of individuals dedicated to making specific aspects of each level, this would be less of a problem because you would probably only be doing one or two types of tasks at a time.

Oh, and lack of easy initial setup to get started (i.e. it doesn't give you basic lighting and terrain, you have to create it yourself) and other little hitches and bugs here and there make it awkward and a bit inaccessible when judged as a mod tool. However I do think CD Projekt cleaned up the UI, as it's missing much of the "hundreds of obscure buttons everywhere" clusterfuck you tend to see on more pro tools, and is stripped down to relative basics. It's kind of weird in that the usability and workflow feels a lot like professional SDKs but it's still not quite as feature-rich as those, and lacks a good deal of the intimidation factor at first.

Xeon

Augur
Can't modders ask some youtubers to help with the voice acting? Most YouTubers spend some extra money on improving the quality of their videos and audio.

Big youtubers will probably expect some kind of pay but maybe smaller channels be more willing to help for free?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
THE WITCHER 2: THE PATH OF THE WHITE WOLF

Starring:

TOTALBISCUIT as GERALT
FELICIA DAY as TRISS
ROOSTER TEETH as DANDELION & ZOLTAN

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Rofl. Too bad I can't brofist just yet.
Anyway, I totally agree with sea post about the redkit. Had similiar experience.

If they really want this to be noob-friendly, they should at least make some basic scenes with lighting et cetera, so any new kid could actually jump straight into level making or whatever.

You guys are trying to actually make something in this editor? I had big hopes and expectations, but after seeing it - I can't tell that I'm pleased or impressed. I'll probably try to make some minor adventure with Geralt but nothing bigger. It's not Cheetah-friendly, definitely.

Gerrard

Arcane
Rofl. Too bad I can't brofist just yet.
Anyway, I totally agree with sea post about the redkit. Had similiar experience.

If they really want this to be noob-friendly, they should at least make some basic scenes with lighting et cetera, so any new kid could actually jump straight into level making or whatever.

You guys are trying to actually make something in this editor? I had big hopes and expectations, but after seeing it - I can't tell that I'm pleased or impressed. I'll probably try to make some minor adventure with Geralt but nothing bigger. It's not Cheetah-friendly, definitely.
Why would they want it to be "noob-friendly"? I sure as fuck don't want another flood of shitty mods.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
i don't want a noob friendly toolset either but a flood of mods guarantee, or at least raise the odds, that the support won't be scrapped. without some of the easier tools of the past (nwn, morrowind) modding wouldn't be that "popular" nowadays, and perhaps no dev would spend the time to polish and release their inhouse tools.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
i don't want a noob friendly toolset either but a flood of mods guarantee, or at least raise the odds, that the support won't be scrapped. without some of the easier tools of the past (nwn, morrowind) modding wouldn't be that "popular" nowadays, and perhaps no dev would spend the time to polish and release their inhouse tools.
Exactly. The easier the tools, the more content there is. Furthermore, so long as functionality is not impacted there's no reason that tools shouldn't be easier to use, regardless of what their purpose is. A lot of game SDKs are needlessly complicated and make it difficult or require manual intervention when things could pretty easily be automated.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Exactly. The easier the tools, the more content there is. Furthermore, so long as functionality is impacted there's no reason that tools shouldn't be easier to use, regardless of what their purpose is. A lot of game SDKs are needlessly complicated and make it difficult or require manual intervention when things could pretty easily be automated.
Moreover. As I said before, CDPR Red said in some interviews that they wanted to make tools for everyone, including people who haven't tried modding at all. That's why I mentioned "noob friendly" and other stuff.
All in all, it's better to have a selection of mods (where you can actually find something cool, if you're a story/script fag) whereas you don't have anything suitable for your specific taste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom