Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher - 20% of the original English script cut

Ausir

Arcane
I dislike George RR Martin for the same reasons as I think I'd dislike Sakopowski.

Sapkowski. Learn to spell properly.

Ausir

Arcane
The translation isn't very good, as far as I know, but it's not totally disastrous either. It was translated by some Pole (a pity, since generally books should be translated by native speakers of the target language) who failed to give justice to Sapkowski's great use of the language. The books themselves are still good, though, even if the language used is sub par compared to the original.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Jora said:
Those trying to find a good fantasy series should try R. Scott Bakker's The Prince of Nothing.

Seconded.

However... lots of people consider the likes of Raymond E Feist and Terry Baadkind authors of "good fantasy" and I'm not sure such readers could handle R. Scott Bakker... The Prince of Nothing is rather... heavy stuff.

Lethal Weapon

Novice
KazikluBey said:
Someone called "severian" claiming to be a developer has posted at Gamebanshee:
I can't judge English translation. Dialogs were trimmed (we had to shorten it by roughly 20% to meet agreements with ATARI) so maybe it spoiled them slightly. Polish conversations are brilliant and, from what I've heard, English voice acting is quite good.

Ausir said:
Severian is Michał Madej, lead designer.

Thanks guys, I updated my original post.

Somewhat funny to see how this is turning into a discussion about literature. Not a big fan of modern fiction myself.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
dagorkan said:
Lesifoere said:
Martin is wonderful,
I dislike George RR Martin for the same reasons as I think I'd dislike Sakopowski.

Somehow everybody seems to dislike Martin for all the wrong reasons. Yeah, I can't stop reading his novels, but fuck do I HATE him sometimes.

Look, he's trying so hard to be the Frank Herbert of Low Fantasy that it hurts badly. Some of the situations, characterisations and even complete conversations could be taken directly from the Dune series. He just adds a little bit more of sex&crime so that it all comes across so much larger than life that it defies logic and the whole groundwork of non High Fantasy.

I think his writing improves a lot when he doesn't try so hard but when he tries to let it flow. The best parts in "A Song..." are without doubt those related to the Others and to the Dragons - which both are elements of High Fantasy.

Martin is a great author - but he tried to write the wrong epic right from the start.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I can't judge English translation. Dialogs were trimmed (we had to shorten it by roughly 20% to meet agreements with ATARI) so maybe it spoiled them slightly. Polish conversations are brilliant and, from what I've heard, English voice acting is quite good.

From one of the people that made the game. Found this on gamesbanshee through the witcher forums. Seems Atari tried to save some money.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Welcome to yesterday's news. That wasn't already posted nor quoted again two posts above yours or anything. :?

made

Arcane
Well, in light of this thread, I've decided to play the Polish version and so far I haven't been disappointed. The writing is top notch; plenty of subtle humor (instead of the in-your-face style seen in Bio games), excellent voice overs (for the most part; some are a little over the top). I didn't notice an abundance of curse words either; all seems very appropriate.

I don't know how much and what was effectively cut in the translations, but I can only hope it still keeps the atmosphere of the game intact, else non-polish speakers miss out on what makes this title special.

Seriously, unless things drastically change in latter chapters and my euphoria wears off, this is probably the best RPG I've played since Arcanum - based on the writing alone. Not going to comment on graphics and sound here, as that along with the gameplay is object of a different thread.

Azarkon

Arcane
If you like China Mieville, try Gene Wolfe. Not as much "punk," but just as if not more introspective and original (and yes, dense, if you're into fantasy "literature").

MasPingon

Arcane
Taken from TW board

some random guy said:
There's a setting in the .ini file named Language and it's initially set to Language=FinalEnglish_Short. I've gone ahead and tried setting it to Language=FinalEnglish_Long but have yet to notice a difference. However, I am not sure what exactly I would be looking for. Has anyone else experimented with this setting to unlock extra dialog if it's available? I have the international version.

the other guy said:
it shows in some conversations more text in the subtitles but does not effect the speech, like for instance the old lady that shani lives with, she will say, who are you, get out, but the subtitles will say, who are you to come into my house with shit on your boots, get out now.

Anyone tried that?Iit seems that could solve some problems

severian

Novice
Hi,

I'd like to explain English dialogs issue a little. First of all, it's not ATARI nor our fault - just first time in history someone translated such a huge game from Polish into English, and some mistakes were unevitable.

I believe translation was excellent work, but as a result we got way too big number of words... this was really surprising for us and ATARI as well... Actually English language is much more "compact" and precise, than Polish one - so usually Polish text is about 20% longer than English equivalent. It was something we knew from our localization experience, and it didn't work the other way.

Trust me, there was no other option, just to edit dialogs trying to get rid of some "Polish influences", reduntand info and optimize grammar structure. In most cases it worked perfectly, in some didn't. Still - we didn't cut any content from the game, just edited it to fit required volume.

It's a huge lesson for us and in the future projects we will keep it in mind. Still I believe English version is really great, especially comparing to localization attempts of other RPG games that had been made in past.

Michał

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Hey cool, another developer. Kinda feels like ye olde days. I agree that the English version is great overall, but when compared to some of the stuff users have translated from Polish it lacks *some* of the charm.

Great to here that you are keeping notes. A reputation system and now better dialogue confirmed for future titles.. Tis a good day.

Astromarine

Erudite
sorry, severian, but that sounds like face-saving bullshit. The difference between X and Y in this quote isn't to improve grammar and remove redundant info. It's to save a few bucks off acting costs by removing a lot of the literary flavor of the text:

X)
Shani: What were you doing in that witch's house?!
Geralt: I... she... saved my life. If not for Triss, I'd be dead, most likely.
Shani: Hmmmm, so I owe her. But know this, witcher, I'll show you my other, less tender side if you're lying.
Geralt: Why would I lie? Anyway, what brings you here?
Shani: Hear this - that witch is trying to steal one of my patients. A boy named Alvin. Besides the fact that I'm responsible for him, what does that hag know about raising children? Everyone knows she can never have one of her own. Plus, she's always saying something about sources and such. I don't want her handling that child with her dirty paws. Devil only knows what she wants to do with him. You've met her. Explain to her that Alvin's staying with me.
Geralt: I, hmmm, okay, I'll try, but it'd be much simpler if you two would just agree.
Shani: Simple or not, you know her better. I need to go home, Geralt. Please bring Alvin to me. Let me rest assured knowing he's all right...
Y)
Shani: Why were you in that witch's house?!
Geralt: If not for Triss, I'd be dead, most likely.
Shani: I'll show you my other, less tender side if you're lying.
Geralt: Aah... What brings you here?
Shani: That witch is trying to steal one of my patients - Alvin. What does that hag know about raising children? Everyone knows she can't have her own. I don't want her handling that child with her dirty paws. Devil only knows what she wants with him. Explain to her that Alvin's staying with me.
Geralt: It'd be much simpler if you two would just agree.
Shani: Simple or not, you know her better. Please bring Alvin to me.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Admiral jimbob said:
He's a bad author because someone doing a half-assed translation for a game based on his books put in a few stupid and vulgar lines.

Oh, okay.
Sorry a little late, but from what I understood the game is more like a sequel or follow on to the book series, as someone mentioned in a thread somewhere that the game is one big spoiler for the books which is why I was trying to find an english copy of the first book before playing the game at least.

As to the dialogs, I think that somewhere buried in the deep dank dark recesses of the big huge witcher thread someone mentioned that the Polish version was different as far as dialog and narrative goes, in that it had (apparently) some specific references to the books.

As to the Witcher's story, did Sapkowski even write the plot/story for the game, or did he just provide "expert" input/approval to it?

EDIT:
Since I couldn't find a copy of the first witcher book in english in the US(I would've checked in Canada too as they USED to get alot of stuff from the UK, but nowadays they just have the same crap as in the US), I've started re-reading the Annals of the Black Company from book one... (wave to Croaker...)

EDIT2:
Funny thing, I just decided to try a search on the english title of the first witcher book, thinking that the author may have been listed primarily as the translator(they used to do that alot), and it turned up a paperback under Sapkowski's name with a May 1, 2008 availability date. Wasn't there on Saturday morning when I did a q&d search...

cutterjohn

Cipher
Ausir said:
As to the Witcher's story, did Sapkowski even write the plot/story for the game, or did he just provide "expert" input/approval to it?

He didn't write it, and as far as I know he didn't have much input, although he was consulted on some things.

Edit: Yeah, looks like Sapkowski's books are coming to America.
That was the one that I found this morning. I read somewhere else, don't recall where ATM that the entire(?) trilogy of books was supposed to be available this summer, August 2008 in the US.

Also read somewhere that someone from CD Projekt(I think) said that the english translation of the first book felt a bit "stiff".

Ausir

Arcane
Yes, unfortunately the translation isn't perfect, but it's readable. There aren't really any major errors, but the language used is inferior to that of the original.

Lethal Weapon

Novice
severian said:
I believe translation was excellent work, but as a result we got way too big number of words...

Congratulations sir, for your excellent game. To say it is a refreshing change compared with what it's been released lately would be an understatement.

severian said:
Actually English language is much more "compact" and precise, than Polish one - so usually Polish text is about 20% longer than English equivalent.

I'm sure you understand nobody here is complaining about the difference between the Polish and English scripts. It is the difference between the original English translation which you describe as excellent and the published version that troubles us.

severian said:
... just edited it to fit required volume.

Is there any chance at all that the unedited English script will become available to the public? This would certainly be far better than any fan-made attempt to translate the full Polish text.

I thank you in advance.

Ausir

Arcane
Is there any chance at all that the unedited English script will become available to the public? This would certainly be far better than any fan-made attempt to translate the full Polish text.

I thank you in advance.

It is available. Just change English_Short to English_Long in the INI file.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom