Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone Expansion

Frozen

Arcane
Didn't know about this before. I like what they've done.
Its maybe even better to play it then before the ending of main game.
And its a cooler ending then the "good" one because Beckham is an asshole.
Warning: spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prmhoy5tjP4

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I totally disliked Olgierd and everyone in HoS. Also the story was shit, quests were turds and characters were way too edgy and cool. Everything was crap. I did enjoy vanilla and BaW, but HoS was basically a chore for me I only did because I enjoyed the rest of the witcher 3.

---

Arcane
Nice noonwraith cosplay:
13724017_10153975211529331_4124157163650935060_o_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg

Lambach

Arcane
I could never bring myself to save Olgeird. Fuck that cunt. I was more-or-less OK with siding with him, because I figured he was the lesser evil, O'Dim being Satan and all, but after finding out Olgeird traded the life of his brother and best friend for some pussy, I decided he had to burn in hell, or whatever O'Dim does it him. That's just straight-up fucking evil.

Deleted member 7219

I could never bring myself to save Olgeird. Fuck that cunt. I was more-or-less OK with siding with him, because I figured he was the lesser evil, O'Dim being Satan and all, but after finding out Olgeird traded the life of his brother and best friend for some pussy, I decided he had to burn in hell, or whatever O'Dim does it him. That's just straight-up fucking evil.

I felt exactly the same. I hated that cunt. I hated his whole history and how he really didn't give a shit, just wallowed in self-pity. I also hate how he tried to fuck Shani and would have quite happily possessed Geralt's body forever if he could. (Edit - corrected by Sodafish below).

I hated him and I felt so satisfied when I found I could tell Gaunter O'Dimm to do what he wanted to the bastard. I also told Gaunter I didn't want anything from him.

I thought that was the best ending and was surprised to see some people describe it as the worst.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Arcane
I abandoned my playthrough when I hit Novigrad (up to saving D.) but one thing that still lingers with me is one quest where you have to pretend to bring in Triss as a convict and some grunts started manhandling her and I couldn't take it so I killed everyone... :P

Wolfe

Arbiter
Except that Olgierd learned his lesson, whereas O'Dimm would've kept on with his bullshit deals, doing whatever the fuck he wanted. Fuck yes, count me in for ruining his plans. With Olgierd being able to feel again now, he can suffer for years for the unforgivable shit he's done.

Deleted member 7219

I abandoned my playthrough when I hit Novigrad (up to saving D.) but one thing that still lingers with me is one quest where you have to pretend to bring in Triss as a convict and some grunts started manhandling her and I couldn't take it so I killed everyone... :P

Yeah, I did the same thing there. I actually thought Triss was going to be raped, so I said "fuck it" and quit the subterfuge. I thought that was staying true to Geralt's character because of how close he is to Triss.

You really shouldn't have abandoned your playthrough though. I consider The Witcher 3 to be the best RPG since Fallout: New Vegas, combat issues aside. You should get back to playing it.

Ivan

Arcane
You really shouldn't have abandoned your playthrough though. I consider The Witcher 3 to be the best RPG since Fallout: New Vegas, combat issues aside. You should get back to playing it.

I fully intend to replay the thing. I just wanted the complete edition, and upgrade my 670 to a 1070 (I was getting unsatisfying frame rates and blue screens toward the end)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been playing The Witcher 3 + Expansions. Only on Lvl 3. Wow, this game and its systems seem far more complicated/convoluted than they need to be. And even on my new Asus GTX 1070 video card with 8GB vram on an SSD the game runs kind of clunky at 1920x1080 in Ultra. Still very playable - I get 60FPS average - but texture loading is still noticeable. But I'll solider on since there is something compelling about it, despite the hideous handholding.

Tytus

Arcane
Been playing The Witcher 3 + Expansions. Only on Lvl 3. Wow, this game and its systems seem far more complicated/convoluted than they need to be. And even on my new Asus GTX 1070 video card with 8GB vram on an SSD the game runs kind of clunky at 1920x1080 in Ultra. Still very playable - I get 60FPS average - but texture loading is still noticeable. But I'll solider on since there is something compelling about it, despite the hideous handholding.

Well there is a quest about a goat fucker, where you retrieve his goat so he cab fuck it again. And judging by your avatar that is probably like 50% of the game's appeal for you.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Well there is a quest about a goat fucker, where you retrieve his goat so he cab fuck it again. And judging by your avatar that is probably like 50% of the game's appeal for you.

Outrageous! I'm suppose to risk life and limb to recover a goat for some lowly, disgusting goat-fucker??? What have video games come to???! Hopefully, there's C&C where I can opt not to return that goat and keep it for myself, since Yennefer sure isn't putting out in those early stages of the game (except in a wet dream). A magic man has needs.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Finally finished up the main Witcher 3 campaign, just starting Hearts of Stone and - well, let's put it this way: Dark Souls II seems like a breeze compared to the first boss I'm facing - the Toad Prince. How do I beat this bastard? Is there shame in changing difficulty to Normal from the highest? I may have to do this.

Sodafish

Arcane
The Toad fight is the worst apart from the last one in B&W. It's just incredibly slow and tedious. No way around it.

Beowulf

Arcane
[...] Is there shame in changing difficulty to Normal from the highest? I may have to do this.
I'm not trying to pose as edgy codexer, but answer this for yourself - are you playing W3 for the great combat, or for the decent story?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The Toad fight is the worst apart from the last one in B&W. It's just incredibly slow and tedious. No way around it.

It reminds me of that fight with a vampire lord in the PC remake of the first Ys game, who would turn into a swarm of bats whenever you damaged him, then reintegrate back into the vampire and give you back TWICE the damage. I calculated by looking at the health bar of this boss that it would take me approximately 3 hours to defeat him. I stopped playing the game right then and there. I do appreciate the fact that the combat in challanges like this are a thinking man's game, requiring a sophisticated strategy and figuring out a kind of puzzle on which Signs and potions to use, but goddamnit, I'm not a sprightly youngin' anymore that can easily figure these things out (I laughed at Namtar in Dragon Wars - my first RPG in 1988, and practically beat him with one blow). You hit a certain age and you just want to relax sometimes playing these RPGs, munching on your prunes nosily, making smacking sounds to compliment the facerolling :eek:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
HoS is generally a lot harder than the main game, especially the boss battles. Use alchemy items, I guess. The frog has quite a lot of HP from what I remember, so go for critical effects (burning, bleeding... I think it's immune to poison, but use Cursed Oil anyway) and use the Archgriffin decoction (maybe grab Ekhidna too, as those two go well hand in hand). I think the toad has a poison attack, so Golden Oriole is a no-brainer. I don't remember if you can freeze it with a Northern Wind, but stunning should certainly be possible (Yrden and/or Axii should work, maybe Samum too). Aside from that you can cheese it with the Quen shield if you have that, but I never found it necessary, as you can pretty quickly figure out its attack patterns anyway.

I'm not trying to pose as edgy codexer, but answer this for yourself - are you playing W3 for the great combat, or for the decent story?
I've never really understood this kind of thinking. TW3's combat system isn't great, but combat can still occasionally be rather enjoyable and satisfying when it poses some actual danger and requires you to use every trick in the book. Removing the challenge makes the combat go faster, sure, but it also trivializes character development and takes away every positive aspect you can draw from the combat.

Sodafish

Arcane
A few things about that fight, from what I remember:

Maintaining a middling distance and frontal location from him is crucial; too close and he will always do the pounding jump attack which smashes through Quen and does massive damage; get behind him and he will jump too far away.

Always have Golden Oriole active, and Cursed Oil.

The only bombs worth shit against him are Northern Wind.

Always dodge his tongue whip attack.

The key I found is a combination of Axii and Yrden; the latter is most effective, but very difficult to get him with as being close enough will trigger the jump attack. If you get the timing just right though you can get in big damage whilst he is stunned, then roll away before his jump attack connects. Axii can slow him down and make things easier.

The only good thing is his patterns are very predictable.

The fight is super tedious, but eventually he will go down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom