Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/114580-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-secret-awaits-uncovering.html

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Secret Awaits Uncovering

After a quick teasing by CD Projekt RED community manager Marcin Momot on Twitter, the team has debuted a new "The Trail" page on the official The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt website. Given the "Follow the trail, discover the secret" mantra next to a handful of social media icons that are featured prominently on the page and the movie-like quality of the background animation, it could be that we have a new cinematic trailer for the RPG threequel headed our way in the near future.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see what becomes of it over the next several days.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I love how he cleverly avoided the real questions we all want answered.. Are their programmers tired and will wolf fur have improved textures..?

But seriously.. this game looks great.. why did they do action rpg..

polo

Magister
I love how he cleverly avoided the real questions we all want answered.. Are their programmers tired and will wolf fur have improved textures..?

Because it sells like pizza.

Paul_cz

Arcane

As opposed to what ? Turnbased one ?
Wouldn't really fit Geralt.

Plus as properly selfish person whose favourite games are action RPGs like New Vegas or Bloodlines, their genre choice suits me perfectly.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Are their programmers tired and will wolf fur have improved textures..?

Yep it's a deal breaker, not buying it if the wolf fur has sub-par textures, leave that to peasant console crowd, as a superior pc gamer i cannot be bothered with crap graphics because it is well known and universally agreed that 4k textures are now the standard for rpgs.
RPGs were always ahead in cutting edge technology and graphics. Just look at Daggerfall, you would need a NASA PC to push those pixels to their limit back in the 90's. RPGs are all about graphics. That's why i play them.

>Implying awesome graphics and somehow competent main plot are not the only selling points of TW2
>Implying its not the same with TW3 minus competent main plot because muhh prophecy

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I dunno. Maybe not turnbased, but I could see the game working with a sort of phasebased system to chain up actions and seeing them carried out at the same time as the enemies try to carry out their shit.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
CdProjekt is too talented to be pumping out Action Rpg Pop-a-mole..

> Huge World with sprawling quests..
> C&C out the anus..
> Unscaled world so you can get your shit kicked in early on.. Mah Progression Feels..

Stop trying to be Skyrim.. Skyrim sucks.

made

Arcane
http://segmentnext.com/2014/10/15/witcher-3-wild-hunt-features-self-sustaining-ecosystem/

In a new interview, designer Damien Monnier talked about the game’s internal ecosystem and how it’s a technical marvel as well.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt features a ton of areas that come with different environments and climates. Each area is populated with its own wildlife, much similar to how these areas are usually in the real world. For example, lush forests in the game will have a good population of deers and wolves.

If Geralt chooses to stick to the game’s storyline, the ecosystem will continue to sustain itself. You’ll see the occasional wolves hunting down deers and herds making their way for fresher grazing lands.

However, if the players begin to interfere with the system then there will be consequences. As an example, Monnier said that if you kill all the deers in a specific area, the wolves will leave in search for a new area with food.

Killing all the wolves instead, will cause the deer population to start growing out of control. Even deforesting a whole area will have a major impact on the area, making changes to the food chain and the area with it.
How's that for C&C bitches?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://segmentnext.com/2014/10/15/witcher-3-wild-hunt-features-self-sustaining-ecosystem/

In a new interview, designer Damien Monnier talked about the game’s internal ecosystem and how it’s a technical marvel as well.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt features a ton of areas that come with different environments and climates. Each area is populated with its own wildlife, much similar to how these areas are usually in the real world. For example, lush forests in the game will have a good population of deers and wolves.

If Geralt chooses to stick to the game’s storyline, the ecosystem will continue to sustain itself. You’ll see the occasional wolves hunting down deers and herds making their way for fresher grazing lands.

However, if the players begin to interfere with the system then there will be consequences. As an example, Monnier said that if you kill all the deers in a specific area, the wolves will leave in search for a new area with food.

Killing all the wolves instead, will cause the deer population to start growing out of control. Even deforesting a whole area will have a major impact on the area, making changes to the food chain and the area with it.
Next thing you know, they'll throw in soil erosion.

Athelas

Arcane

I dunno. Maybe not turnbased, but I could see the game working with a sort of phasebased system to chain up actions and seeing them carried out at the same time as the enemies try to carry out their shit.
What would be the point of a phase based system with a single character?

Two decades ago: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Deathclaw_warehouse
But I suppose it's a start.

pippin

That's the same principle the people behind the original Ultima Online had in mind. It failed miserably, since the players killed everything in sight as soon as they could, so there was no wildlife to materialize this cycle.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That's the same principle the people behind the original Ultima Online had in mind. It failed miserably, since the players killed everything in sight as soon as they could, so there was no wildlife to materialize this cycle.

Almost anything that can be abused / griefed in a MMO will be.. I think these kinds of ideas only work in a single player game.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Let me be clear first: i love old and new crpgs, even that new deviant shit from Bioware.
Its great to play games like Skyrim, Witcher, Mass Effect , Dragon Age, etc. with awesome audio-video, action and fine overall effect [even if you don't have lot of time due to old age ;) ]
They are VirtualStories for me, not REAL ,CRPG. Like mindless action movies which you are watching to relax [ it is real pain in case of Skyrim[without mods] becouse Elder Scrolls have just great Lore background and what it lacks is good hard crpg games].
They are like: okay i will buy, enjoy and left after few "AWESOME" moments i become bored. They are not demanding many hours of real "feeling". And they are EMPTY.
B U T , what i call true crpg is more like Divinity:OS , Wasteland 2, M&MX, Underrail, Age of Decadence, and old, well known to everybody here Classics like M&M, Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima, Fallouts, Ishar, Morrowind, Wizardy and many many others.
What i want to say that whole Witcher series is just HACK N' SLASH trying to act like crpg, [and same with other titles mentioned in 2 verse] . It's visuals and audio are just work of art, but rest is near to true shit.
I know all of Sapkowski books [but im far from love for them - they are just decent - and i should say other becouse im polish ;) ]. It is great that we have lot of NPC but what for? For use few lines of linear dialogue? Without any way to interact with them ? Story ? Okay it is same as in Telltale so called "adventures". Whole game is based on hype and agressive marketing, but when you start to playing its so easy you want to just click through whole story and move on...
So i maybe wrong [and i hope i will be wrong] but Witcher 3 will be same as Mass Effect 3 - more of the same shit, with slightly better graphics, same mechanics and some more freedom.
I do not want few thousand square kilometers of free exploring, riding on fuckin horse, skiing or driving a boat, and whole packed with action in jaw dropping graphics .
All i want is a great and "slow" crpg mechanics, non-linear quests, many interesting npcs with ability to interact, fights with a room for tactic [look at DOS it can be done and game will not lose any dynamic or action!] with decent audio-video etc.
It's sad that a lot of really talented and new developers [like CDP RED] or real legends in our genre [like BIOWARE] , spend their time on creating "AWESOME" console shit than solid, classy CRPG game.
It's great to have devs like the ones from Underrail or Age of Decadence, Larian,, like Almost Human, like creators of Wasteland 2 [despites its rather weak game but still classy], becouse while im still like to consume AAA crpg fast food garbage,
i need to have real tasy crpg meals too. And they left memories, i still can remember great characters from many good crpgs, and stories too.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
What would be the point of a phase based system with a single character?

Not being an action game.

I don't see the lack of point there; it's just a different form of gameplay. TB and PB in general can work just as well with a single character as they do with a party if the overall and encounter design complement each other. At least that's the way I see it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let me be clear first: i love old and new crpgs, even that new deviant shit from Bioware.
Its great to play games like Skyrim, Witcher, Mass Effect , Dragon Age, etc. with awesome audio-video, action and fine overall effect [even if you don't have lot of time due to old age ;) ]
They are VirtualStories for me, not REAL ,CRPG. Like mindless action movies which you are watching to relax [ it is real pain in case of Skyrim[without mods] becouse Elder Scrolls have just great Lore background and what it lacks is good hard crpg games].
They are like: okay i will buy, enjoy and left after few "AWESOME" moments i become bored. They are not demanding many hours of real "feeling". And they are EMPTY.
B U T , what i call true crpg is more like Divinity:OS , Wasteland 2, M&MX, Underrail, Age of Decadence, and old, well known to everybody here Classics like M&M, Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima, Fallouts, Ishar, Morrowind, Wizardy and many many others.
What i want to say that whole Witcher series is just HACK N' SLASH trying to act like crpg, [and same with other titles mentioned in 2 verse] . It's visuals and audio are just work of art, but rest is near to true shit.
I know all of Sapkowski books [but im far from love for them - they are just decent - and i should say other becouse im polish ;) ]. It is great that we have lot of NPC but what for? For use few lines of linear dialogue? Without any way to interact with them ? Story ? Okay it is same as in Telltale so called "adventures". Whole game is based on hype and agressive marketing, but when you start to playing its so easy you want to just click through whole story and move on...
So i maybe wrong [and i hope i will be wrong] but Witcher 3 will be same as Mass Effect 3 - more of the same shit, with slightly better graphics, same mechanics and some more freedom.
I do not want few thousand square kilometers of free exploring, riding on fuckin horse, skiing or driving a boat, and whole packed with action in jaw dropping graphics .
All i want is a great and "slow" crpg mechanics, non-linear quests, many interesting npcs with ability to interact, fights with a room for tactic [look at DOS it can be done and game will not lose any dynamic or action!] with decent audio-video etc.
It's sad that a lot of really talented and new developers [like CDP RED] or real legends in our genre [like BIOWARE] , spend their time on creating "AWESOME" console shit than solid, classy CRPG game.
It's great to have devs like the ones from Underrail or Age of Decadence, Larian,, like Almost Human, like creators of Wasteland 2 [despites its rather weak game but still classy], becouse while im still like to consume AAA crpg fast food garbage,
i need to have real tasy crpg meals too. And they left memories, i still can remember great characters from many good crpgs, and stories too.

ENTER KEY bro, plz

Athelas

Arcane
Not being an action game.
I wasn't asking your personal preference was, I was asking what the added value of a phase-based system is when you're controlling a single character and everything you can do is a single click or a hotkey away. None, as I see it. Of course, the actual gameplay could suck, but that's a separate issue.

I don't see the lack of point there; it's just a different form of gameplay. TB and PB in general can work just as well with a single character as they do with a party if the overall and encounter design complement each other. At least that's the way I see it.
I would argue that the key advantage of a turn-based/phase-based system (giving the player precise control over large quantities of variables and factors) is not utilized to its full extent when the player can only control a single character.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What the hell are you doing, CDP? "This cosmetic-and-time-consuming feature is totally worth it in a game with an already-massive scope, let's do it."

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
I was asking what the added value of a phase-based system is when you're controlling a single character and everything you can do is a single click or a hotkey away. None, as I see it. Of course, the actual gameplay could suck, but that's a separate issue.

I don't know that it necessarily needs any "added value" if the point is simply to differentiate gameplay from one way to another. Of course everything is very dependant on what sort of systems are in use; how much and in what way can you accomplish with your given "command phase" or turn at the given point in the game, what can the enemy(ies) do. The additional value could be that you are (potentially ... eventually) able to do and witness more within the timeframe of the phase/turn (and more simultaneous and calculated actions) than you probably could with realtime H/S (for one, through lacking the limitations of the control scheme). There'd be an added thought process for the player (if one appreciates that).

I would argue that the key advantage of a turn-based/phase-based system (giving the player precise control over large quantities of variables and factors) is not utilized to its full extent when the player can only control a single character.

I would argue otherwise. What is the "full extent" to any given design? There is obviously a difference between having a party and and a singular character (and the possible options multiply with more characters), but who's to say that the singular character couldn't be able to accomplish things enough to compensate for the lack of sidekicks (within reason, of course, it is a single character afterall) and for what the design tries to accomplish?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom